Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6  (Read 41626 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sailing on the Sea of Stars [5/5] - Turn 6
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:16 am »

"I want two things. First, a weapon that will fire well in space and has some decent range on it. Preferably ballistic. Second, I'd like a hand-held drill of some kind. Laser or physical, either is fine."

"I see. I can definitely fulfill your first demand, but the second is probably out of my bounds. That's quite the unconventional stuff you want, you could find these in some shop for space exploration tools. I only got basic and powered knives out there."

The man pointed at several weapons, and also showed you their catalogue page. The prices ranged from 1250 to 7500 Credits. There were more sophisticated weapons, but those were too expensive for your budget.

"I personally recommend this model, a very reliable weapon, able to switch from semi-auto to automatic mode quickly and easily. Low chance of misfiring, and easy to maintain. It costs 4000 Credits, ammo included."

You had a wide range of choices. From handguns to submachine guns to rifles, all able to fire in space.

"Hrrwell... that's definitely Starbeard there." Captain Jim looks at Dremus. "Rrhyep. Seems like he got humiliated by a bunch of drunks and responded by massacring two of them. Rrhlemme give you some context on the guy - nonstandard human, one of them Space Pirates, capitalized, if you know what I mean. Nonverbal, none too bright and recently real prone to doing stunts rhof this general nature. Bought in on my shipping venture and thus far we've been on two planets rhand he's fucked things up on both of them within the hour. The first time he unloaded our laser turret several times rhon the inside of the spaceport - authorities came along, said he was some kind of ex-pirate captain, extracted some info rhin return for letting him walk free. Figured rhI'd give him a second chance as well, you know, but this is way rhover the fucking line for me though, shoulda known he'd screw the pooch as soon as nobody was looking."

"Don't think he's mixed up rhwith rhese other perps rhin any plausible capacity, however. Who are they?"

Get background on feuding criminal organizations after informing Officer (detective?) Dremus about the sordid character of my erstwhile partner while clarifying that he's probably not part of whatever shitfight those other gangsters got into.

"Rrrh, that's quite the rhooligan rou found yourself. These gangs, they belong to rhenemy mercenary groups. Calling themselves Skullkrons and Band of RrOlivero. Borderline pirates, they got their hands in human traffic and illegal goods trading. They rwere dancing at the edge of legality, and now they are finally rrha goner.. They probably each thought your Starbeard was among the rother group."

Officer Detective Dremus let out a sigh.
"Rrou probably figured it by then, but I noticed you weren't an official. Rrrh. Rwell, that fellow there will certainly end up in a prison. Can't imagine someone like that having an attorney, or enough money to hire rrha decent one."

(Ellipsis, Starbeard is now at a police station, speaking with Thomas)

Remain calm. Try to reach for my marker in my pocket. If succesful, write on the ground.
Starbeard want lawyer
Starbeard has rights

Starbeard is hand-cuffed!

"Yes officer, I certainly do. Starbeard's my friend. In fact, I'd even consider us best friends. I was just yelling out some friendly insults at him. Space Pirates love those." Sneed said, proud of its demonstration of cultural appreciation. "So, why do you ask, officer? Oh! Was I yelling too loudly? You have my sincerest apologies. I'll try to keep my volume down."

Cooperate with the officer. Answer all of his questions honestly and to the best of my knowledge. If he's skeptical of my friendship with Starbeard, prove it by showing him the 'party invitation' that Starbeard sent me earlier.

"If you don't mind following me then. I would have some questions to ask you."

Sneed followed the officer, who asked him a lot of questions. His relation with Starbeard, if he had already killed a man, if he had already travelled to certain planets, if he came in contact with other criminal groups, if he recognized the faces of some ugly peoples...

Thomas will try to get a private meeting with Starbeard, and maybe even try to post bail.

After a much needed ellipsis, Starbeard was finally facing Thomas for a meeting. Thomas remembered the dumbfounded look of the officers when you told them you were his lawyer. You became a bit more infamous to the few that knew your reputation.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:07 am »

PTW

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2017, 06:35:47 am »

Thomas will talk with Starbeard about what happened,
 maybe try to work out some kind of self-defense plea or something, and see if hw can get him released in rime for the mission.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2017, 06:56:17 am »

Nakeen, did you see my questions?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2017, 11:28:30 am »

Write a long and confusing story.
...Starbeard join crew when retire from crime life but some trouble happen last planet when slime cause hangar go boom and corrup police steal Starbeard money then Starbeard need drink at bar but there group of criminal that drunk try mug Starbeard so Starbeard cut criminal head and hide when the criminal group start kill all and burn bar with explosion then Starbeard play dead on ground to not die after explosion and fire and cop shoot Starbeard on ground and Starbeard think that shoot people on ground is rude and that being space pirate is equal to criminal is racist so now Starbeard on prison for kill criminal who maybe was murder and drunk so Starbeard should be reward instead for let cop find the criminal group and jail every bad guy at bar because criminal still free and do crime if not catch when Starbeard start trouble at bar also Starbeard still want drink because at bar Starbeard have no money becauuse steal by other planet cop...
Basically I was just there then the criminals attacked me. I was just trying to get a drink and if I had not started the fight they wouldn't have caught the criminal groups. Also the guy who I killed was clearly a drunk criminal so nothing of value was lost.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:25:35 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2017, 11:56:18 am »

Nakeen, did you see my questions?
Oh yes oops. You can totally take a race from another setting

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »

What about posting my sheet here? Also you haven't added me to the waitlist yet

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »

"I will take that. Where would I find a space explorations tools distributor?"

Katerina takes the 4000 Credit rifle, then seeks out said store.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »

"..and that's everything I know about my pal Starbeard. Anything else I can do for you, officer?"

Continue cooperating. Once the interview is over, ask if I could go visit Starbeard at the police station. Do so, if permissible.
Insert witty signature here

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2017, 12:15:48 pm »

Since I haven't gotten any input on whether I can post my sheet when I'm still on the waitlist(even though I'm technically not), I'm just going to go ahead and do it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry if it's rather long winded. I put a lot of effort into fleshing out the Grox and expanding them away from being an unnatural force of evil and destruction.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:24:33 pm by Failbird105 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2017, 12:26:34 pm »

"Rhwe ractually have a guy on staff. Rhonly one of the crew that isn't some flavor of mad."

"Anyway, rhif I can help any further, here's my contact rhinformation, though rhI'd like to have my name kept out of any murder trials if possible, rhyes?"

Peace out for now, bidding officer Dremus a good day and making sure to catch up with Thomas about what the deal is with Starbeard's case.

Quote from: Cpt. Jim Barkley, to: Ship's Legal Counselor Thomas Whitney
Starbeard's likely facing a murder rap on account of direct camera footage of the scene. How's the situation?

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2017, 04:36:13 pm »

Since I haven't gotten any input on whether I can post my sheet when I'm still on the waitlist(even though I'm technically not), I'm just going to go ahead and do it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry if it's rather long winded. I put a lot of effort into fleshing out the Grox and expanding them away from being an unnatural force of evil and destruction.
(Sorry for not answering quickly! Yes, no problem posting a sheet here. You are in my mental waitlist, all that is left is to write you in the post)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:52 pm »

Interlude 6.X: Still in The Megnat Spaceport (Planet Gavarle)

Thomas will talk with Starbeard about what happened,
 maybe try to work out some kind of self-defense plea or something, and see if hw can get him released in rime for the mission.

Write a long and confusing story.
...Starbeard join crew when retire from crime life but some trouble happen last planet when slime cause hangar go boom and corrup police steal Starbeard money then Starbeard need drink at bar but there group of criminal that drunk try mug Starbeard so Starbeard cut criminal head and hide when the criminal group start kill all and burn bar with explosion then Starbeard play dead on ground to not die after explosion and fire and cop shoot Starbeard on ground and Starbeard think that shoot people on ground is rude and that being space pirate is equal to criminal is racist so now Starbeard on prison for kill criminal who maybe was murder and drunk so Starbeard should be reward instead for let cop find the criminal group and jail every bad guy at bar because criminal still free and do crime if not catch when Starbeard start trouble at bar also Starbeard still want drink because at bar Starbeard have no money becauuse steal by other planet cop...
Basically I was just there then the criminals attacked me. I was just trying to get a drink and if I had not started the fight they wouldn't have caught the criminal groups. Also the guy who I killed was clearly a drunk criminal so nothing of value was lost.

Alright. Thomas breathed in, breathed out. That wasn't the first case of completely fucked client he ever had, and he had won harder ones. Taking into account Starbeard's past, the charges pressed on him, his account of the events... maybe it wasn't a bad idea to use the "mental illness" bit to defend his case.

Thomas prepared his defense. Knowing the situation, there was no doubt a trial would ensue. Eventually, the trial happened. And in a fit of luck, it even happened within the same day, amazing!

[Intelligence +3 (in) Space Lawyer (+2) Hard Case (-2)] [7] -Critical Success-

That was the element where Thomas felt at his best. Ah, it did feel good to be back "home". The stern face of the judge, the inquisitive and accusing looks of the jury, and him, standing proudly there wielding the power of law. His defense was superb, flawless. He created a absurd yet believable backstory for Starbeard, how he had to fight tooth and nails as a child, how his abusive parents sold him off, and how despite all that, he always wished to reform. To become a better man. How he was struggling with mental problems, how injustice stood in his way and prevented him from turning over a new leaf.

Surely Thomas thanked the fact Starbeard couldn't speak during the trial, for he got more than one puzzled look from his client.

And finally despite all the odds against Starbeard, the space pirate was acquitted. They ate and drank the words of Thomas like sweet honey drugged with a strong narcotic.

[Starbeard is free!]

"I will take that. Where would I find a space explorations tools distributor?"

Katerina takes the 4000 Credit rifle, then seeks out said store.

"Thanks for your purchase, you won't regret it. Here, I will add in a few more clips as a little extra. Now, a place where to buy tools...[he gives you detailled directions to a shop]"

With a new rifle in hand and a pack of ammo clips, Katerina heads for the aforementioned shop. There, she does find handheld laser drills for various uses. From smaller ones used to pierce little holes in hard materials, to slightly bigger models.

With her remaining credits, she could at most buy a medium hybrid laser drill (5000). Hybrid models were less energy consuming than pure laser drills, and more powerful than pure resonance drills. But they also required more maintenance than pure models.

"..and that's everything I know about my pal Starbeard. Anything else I can do for you, officer?"

Continue cooperating. Once the interview is over, ask if I could go visit Starbeard at the police station. Do so, if permissible.

Sneed had to answer several questions, and even some about himself! They also took a photo of him, maybe it was as a souvenir? Woah, they even created a file just for him, the honor! Then Sneed was allowed to leave, but wasn't allowed to visit Starbeard.

Eventually the trial happened, and Sneed saw how Thomas defended Starbeard. Who knew the poor space pirate had such a tragic story! What a brave man, ah what a brave man! He felt his tear ducts prickle.

"Rhwe ractually have a guy on staff. Rhonly one of the crew that isn't some flavor of mad."

"Anyway, rhif I can help any further, here's my contact rhinformation, though rhI'd like to have my name kept out of any murder trials if possible, rhyes?"

Peace out for now, bidding officer Dremus a good day and making sure to catch up with Thomas about what the deal is with Starbeard's case.

Quote from: Cpt. Jim Barkley, to: Ship's Legal Counselor Thomas Whitney
Starbeard's likely facing a murder rap on account of direct camera footage of the scene. How's the situation?

"Rhunfortunately, you know this is not possible. I will note you rhas a rhelping civil party. After all, isn't that what you are?"

Then before you left, you exchanged contact informations. He then surreptitiously slipped you a last word right before parting.
"The spatial police is always looking for unaffiliated contractors for certain out of our bounds missions. If you ever feel like working with us, do contact me. Farewell Captain Barkley."

(...)

Jim caught up with Thomas at some point, and he also witnessed the trial. Darn was Thomas good. Really good.

STATUS

Spoiler: Crew Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:42:54 pm by Nakéen »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:32 pm »

Katerina bought the drill, then looked around the store for some more... exotic items. Exciting things.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2017, 06:38:21 pm »

lawyer is now Starbeard friend
if friend need anything Starbeard promise to help and protect from danger
Starbeard protect friends

what do Starbeard do now captain? where is rock miner?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21