Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 38317 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 07:54:09 pm »

I tried raiding an elven retreat to snatch a book, but it didn't work. dunno if the book that was written there was gone by that point, or if books cannot be grabbed on a raid.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »

There's a chance somebody was carrying the book. Didn't Toady say there was a screen where you could check for that?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:22 am »

Did you get any additional dialogue regarding that? Just before release Toady said merchants should recognise artifacts for what they are. Or maybe they just react if you try to sell them their own artifacts...

Oh, yeah I did. If you trade the artifacts, they say something like "We thank you for your offer of Bowdived. We recognize this is not an ordinary trade." And if you offer them as gifts they say something like "Our civilization thanks you for the presentation of Bowdived." Didn't note down the verbatim wording.
Apparently they also notice if you snatch your artifact back before they leave. :)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2017, 01:44:05 am »

so. Elven Caravan at the depot, got my trading done, backed up my save, playing on the backup for this experiment (which will be discarded after the experiment finishes, probably).

Experiment: Offer and Trade an Artifact to the Elves, send someone off to recover it later.

Artifact: Glass vial.

Result: "HOW DARE YOU OFFER US WOOD!"

Wait, what?

....shit. Okay, gotta find a new artifact to offer.

Next up: Billon and Cat Bone short swords.

EDIT: CONFIRMED: If Artifacts, created at a Fortress, are sold off, missions to recover said artifacts are available on the map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

......and this day marks the end of "genning up a new world" whenever one of my forts fall.

Yeah, the fort may have fallen, but if I got any candy artifacts, I should be able to quest for them as soon as I start up a new fort.

bahahahaha.

Pickless/Axeless embarks can now just send out raids to "recover" artifact axes and picks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:57:04 am by Maul_Junior »

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2017, 04:23:33 am »

Pickless/Axeless embarks can now just send out raids to "recover" artifact axes and picks.

Interesting, not all embarks are hopeless then.

Also for your elf problems that was probably them freaking out over charcoal usage implied by the glass as murdering trees, which makes them sensitive to it.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2017, 05:43:18 am »

Ok. Now we need to sell an artifact, and send out  raiding party the very moment the merchants leave. 
see what happens.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2017, 06:23:12 am »

Ok. Now we need to sell an artifact, and send out  raiding party the very moment the merchants leave. 
see what happens.
Might just teleport off to the main city. Unlike a lot of things, merchant caravans don't exist yet outside of player fortresses.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:48 am »

Interesting, not all embarks are hopeless then.

Also for your elf problems that was probably them freaking out over charcoal usage implied by the glass as murdering trees, which makes them sensitive to it.

I think it was probably one of the bags I tend to buy from human/dwarven caravans was decorated with wood (buy all bags, cook any seeds, turn sand into glass, sell the used bags full of seeds to the next caravan, etc).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:36 pm »

Glass implies pearlash, implies potash, implies ash, implies desecration of sacred tree ancestors. I think that's been a thing for a while.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »

Glass implies pearlash, implies potash, implies ash, implies desecration of sacred tree ancestors. I think that's been a thing for a while.
That's for clear and crystal glass. Green glass is still safe to trade (the tree huggers don't know if you've fired your furnaces with wood, mined coal, or magma, and there are no tree derived ingredients in green glass, just sand).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »

That's for clear and crystal glass. Green glass is still safe to trade (the tree huggers don't know if you've fired your furnaces with wood, mined coal, or magma, and there are no tree derived ingredients in green glass, just sand).
Wait, where did he say green glass was offered? Must have missed that. A new 44.02 bug for the tracker then (Unless it was an artifact vial menacing with spikes of palm tree, that would do it too).

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »

My long waits for weaponsmiths and armorsmiths are over...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2017, 04:33:18 am »

Wait, where did he say green glass was offered? Must have missed that. A new 44.02 bug for the tracker then (Unless it was an artifact vial menacing with spikes of palm tree, that would do it too).
My wording wasn't clear. I haven't seen any mentioning of the type of glass, and it's most probable it was clear or crystal glass in this case. I attempted to clarify that the "glass implies tree abuse" condition isn't true for one type of glass, not that the conclusion drawn should be wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:26 am »

My wording wasn't clear. I haven't seen any mentioning of the type of glass, and it's most probable it was clear or crystal glass in this case. I attempted to clarify that the "glass implies tree abuse" condition isn't true for one type of glass, not that the conclusion drawn should be wrong.
Ok. Someone explained that elves were pissed off at being offered a glass vial and were surprised. Someone else suggested it was probably because it needed charcoal to make, I (without quoting, my bad) explained the real reason they were upset.

Then I woke up at 5 this morning, read your post and wrote a grumpy reply. Bad habit, sorry. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:31:33 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2017, 07:13:54 am »

Ok. Someone explained that elves were pissed off at being offered a glass vial and were surprised. Someone else suggested it was probably because it needed charcoal to make, I (without quoting, my bad) explained the real reason they were upset.

Then I woke up at 5 this morning, read your post and wrote a grumpy reply. Bad habit, sorry. :)
Yes, you really should quit the habit of waking up at 5 in the morning ;)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15