Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: New release !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 38234 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Re: New release !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »

I sincerely hope you figure out this bug so we can figure out how to once more abuse avoid it  ;)

EPM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2017, 01:49:12 pm »

Might as well just let him run his course... Have Fun with the guests your gajillion dorfbux artifact attracts. This sounds like a blessing in disguise, honestly, you can see if a ridiculously high-value artifact causes any notable difference in behaviors from civs. Maybe you'll get a lot more attention for it, for example.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2017, 06:43:02 pm »

Okay, so here's something I've noticed: megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, titans, forgotten beasts, and the like, don't path into the fortress anymore. They just hang around near where they entered the map and defend that area. I beat a two-headed ettin by sending my conscripted marksdwarves in to pepper it with bolts repeatedly, then run away once they were out of ammo. The Ettin would only chase them a short distance before running back to its favorite spot. This cycle must have repeated nearly half a dozen times before I managed to forge some metal bolts and finish it off. Every monster that's come to my fortresses in the new version has behaved the same way.

I suspect this is a bug, but it has forced me to alter my usual tactics of hiding behind layers of traps. It's also created some interesting stories, like the time a titan showed up and killed some of my civilians that wandered too close to its territory. My other civilians then went in to try and retrieve their fallen friends so they could bury them, but this only lured them within reach of the titan, who would then kill the newcomer. The more dwarves it killed, the more bait it had to lure in more dwarves to kill.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2017, 06:47:43 pm »

Okay, so here's something I've noticed: megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, titans, forgotten beasts, and the like, don't path into the fortress anymore. They just hang around near where they entered the map and defend that area. I beat a two-headed ettin by sending my conscripted marksdwarves in to pepper it with bolts repeatedly, then run away once they were out of ammo. The Ettin would only chase them a short distance before running back to its favorite spot. This cycle must have repeated nearly half a dozen times before I managed to forge some metal bolts and finish it off. Every monster that's come to my fortresses in the new version has behaved the same way.

I suspect this is a bug, but it has forced me to alter my usual tactics of hiding behind layers of traps. It's also created some interesting stories, like the time a titan showed up and killed some of my civilians that wandered too close to its territory. My other civilians then went in to try and retrieve their fallen friends so they could bury them, but this only lured them within reach of the titan, who would then kill the newcomer. The more dwarves it killed, the more bait it had to lure in more dwarves to kill.

Nah, that's not a new bug -- big invaders occasionally fail to path into the fort in old versions as well.

As for the last point, if you forbid the bodies and the dead dwarves' belongings with d-b-d dwarves will stop coming to bury them or store them in a stockpile.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2017, 06:57:03 pm »

It's happened with every big invader in every fortress I've made in the new version. I've not seen a single one path toward my fort. Sieges behave the way I expect. I've had great fun watching goblins torn to shreds in weapon traps.

Important thing I've learned: do not use serrated green glass discs or serrated bronze discs in weapon traps unless you want to constantly be forging new ones and rebuilding your weapon traps. They tatter quickly and then the trap gets deconstructed. So far, I've not had a single silver spiked ball degrade, so I'm thinking those will be my go-to trap component.

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »

Might as well just let him run his course... Have Fun with the guests your gajillion dorfbux artifact attracts. This sounds like a blessing in disguise, honestly, you can see if a ridiculously high-value artifact causes any notable difference in behaviors from civs. Maybe you'll get a lot more attention for it, for example.

I have dear memories of my 300 wood log amulet and certainly wouldn't have any problem to see something like that again. The thing is, that he just won't start working. I kinda need that dwarf. He's one of my best fighters, but since he's been collecting stuff for almost a year now, he's getting very rusty.

I also encountered the still standing titans and beasts. Never saw that in an old fortress. At least not lasting. They would do something eventually. But now every single one just stands there.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2017, 09:01:53 pm »

The tanner claimed a leatherwork, then continued to get leater, a rock, 2 blocks, a rock and now just continues to get a plant cloth and a wool cloth. He's got over 30 each at this time and seems content to continue getting more.

If the workshop is in a hospital zone, you should try removing the zone.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »

Has anybody seen the new 'armies demand artifacts' mechanic yet? Fought off one ambush and one siege so far in current version. So far, so normal sieger behavior.

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2017, 09:38:31 pm »

The tanner claimed a leatherwork, then continued to get leater, a rock, 2 blocks, a rock and now just continues to get a plant cloth and a wool cloth. He's got over 30 each at this time and seems content to continue getting more.

No zones, nothing else.

Has anybody seen the new 'armies demand artifacts' mechanic yet? Fought off one ambush and one siege so far in current version. So far, so normal sieger behavior.

Perhaps if you steal something first? I wanted to try that but the captain in charce is currently occupied....
Otherwise I guess the world needs to know about your artifacts. Have you tried to display them in an accessable tavern or so? That's just guesswork, so please do tell if you have results.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2017, 09:07:03 am »

No zones, nothing else.

Sounds like a new bug, then. You could upload your save to DFFD and create an issue on the bugtracker if you're feeling helpful.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2017, 11:39:49 am »

No zones, nothing else.

Perhaps if you steal something first? I wanted to try that but the captain in charce is currently occupied....
Otherwise I guess the world needs to know about your artifacts. Have you tried to display them in an accessable tavern or so? That's just guesswork, so please do tell if you have results.
I'm assuming at least a couple of the hundreds of visitors coming in and out of my tavern are spies and my artifacts are prominently displayed in the tavern. I guess someone will be along eventually. But, yeah, also have a squad out looking for some goblin civ artifacts which might help.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2017, 01:57:53 pm »

On a related note, when you create a museum out of a display case, you can link it to a location.
To what location should it be linked? Tavern or library?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist Dimplebooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »

On a related note, when you create a museum out of a display case, you can link it to a location.
To what location should it be linked? Tavern or library?

Depends on what you're exibiting, doesn't it? I'd put books in a library, for example. A family heirloom possibly as a privat room? If you're into roleplaying that is.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2017, 09:39:31 pm »

That is a good question. Museums and libraries serve similar purposes, to preserve and display the works of people and nature. But a lot of museums have cafes either in them or nearby.

I'd link it to a library, myself.

triskaideka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2017, 01:21:59 pm »

I thought I read somewhere that books can't be assigned to cases or pedestals? Which is a shame, as that would provide a much easier way to manage original texts.

Do museums provide any viewing benefits, a-la tastefully-arranged statues in statue gardens? Otherwise, it seems to me that the primary utility to them at the moment would be in terms of artefact management.

From a roleplaying perspective, possessed artefacts often seem to be created under the influence of deities (I once had an ardent worshiper of a deity of stars produce a ring with an image of stars on it during a possessed mood), so it would make sense to put them in their associated temples. Same with artefact figurines of deities. Weapons and armor in temples to gods of war and fortresses, etc. Artefact goblets and musical instruments in taverns? And artefacts depicting historical events in libraries.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15