Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97190 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »

Have we considered when a ship actually enters hyperspace? At what point from when the ship starts moving super fast does it actually get there? Is this instantaneous or does it take a bit?
In EU it was explained that's not really how it works, but because of >EU, even then the hyperspace weapons would be useful because:
That seems like it is a distance much further away than at which regular combat would take place, which means that hyperspace weapons at very least are unavoidable at slightly further away than distances where regular combat would take place.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2017, 09:47:09 pm »

Two I've heard:
One, Hyperspace ramming works only on that ship in particular, because it was using a hyperspace tracker, which is new technology. Their tracker is like a periscope which extends into hyperspace, so when a ship that's in hyperspace hits it it transfers kinetic energy into realspace.
I could accept this but then... how did Holdo knew this would work? This technology was completly unknown before, she had no way of knowing how it works, although the First Order might have been aware of this, which explains their reaction before getting rammed, but still.

Two, you can only hyperspace jump to particular predetermined spots, and normally every starship commander avoids these spots because ramming is a danger. The first order thought they were winning and were overconfident assholes in general, so they steered onto a jump spot to chase the rebels. This also changes the "oh, shit" reaction from just "she's going to ram us" to "I have made a mistake".
If that was the case a lot of things would be much simpler in Star Wars, and off of top of my head would make canonical explanation of Kessel Run not work, so if that was the explanation, then it also fucks with rest of ACTUAL canon this time.
Not that it's something they give a fuck about.

1.) It's not a new technology. Like kamikaze wasn't a new technology. She just deciding to ram her ship into theirs ASAP to give the rebels as much time as possible. She had no idea it would work.

2.)
I wish Disney hadn't chopped the EU. It would've made answering those questions easy: One, NO, since the lead destroyer, the one Finn and Co. were planning to sneak onto, as I recall, wasn't Snoke's ship. And two, no, ships just tend to jump in similar directions, because "hyperlanes" are much safer to travel than unmapped and potentially debris-filled self-plotted courses.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:15 pm »

Have we considered when a ship actually enters hyperspace? At what point from when the ship starts moving super fast does it actually get there? Is this instantaneous or does it take a bit?
In EU it was explained that's not really how it works, but because of >EU, even then the hyperspace weapons would be useful because:
That seems like it is a distance much further away than at which regular combat would take place, which means that hyperspace weapons at very least are unavoidable at slightly further away than distances where regular combat would take place.

Just to clarify, fleet combat has 100% taken place at greater effective ranges in Episodes 3 and 6. To be fair, Star Wars isn't the best at giving an accurate sense of scale in space combat so it's kind of a moot point--the range is pretty much always determined by plot. That said, the whole barely being able to outpace ISDs is an absolutely bogus looming threat. A.) No. B.) You're telling me that Mega Star Destroyer can't shoot for shit? Ridiculous. \
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2017, 10:00:47 pm »

Again, there's nothing that makes hyperspace ramming any more effective than IRL ramming. If you were to steer an aircraft carrier into a fleet of ships you'd fuck them up pretty bad before sinking (or more realistically, being immobilized). You have lost out immensely by doing so, given the value of the aircraft carrier. Not only have you damaged your faction up on the strategic level by losing such an asset, but the sunk cost (pun intended) of the carrier is greater than that of the ships you murderfucked. But if it was the decisive battle of the war, the carrier's planes had all been shot down, and the only useful bodies and craft left were being picked off by those enemy ships? It's a different equation.   

Hyperspace drives are probably the most expensive parts of any ship and have to be scaled up with the size of the ship as well. Shooting a ship with a small hyperspace weapon is only going to be catastrophic if the ship is, say, less than four times the mass of the hyperspace weapon. Otherwise it's going to be like getting shot but having your organs missed. Bad, yes. Fatal, not really, and military vessels are going to have substantial damage control systems. And once you've done this, you've blown your space load on that part of your force, it's gone. Blasting down the shields and shooting with blasters and missiles is going to be way more cost and force efficient.

Ramming is like defibrillators. Fiction and intuition tells us that it's cool and dramatic, so it must be useful. But it's really not. The Raddus was in a nearly unique tactical situation to make a hyperspace ram of the Supremacy worthwhile, and did so almost as soon as those circumstances fell into place. It would have been an incorrect or at least less correct maneuver in every other Star Wars battle to date, including the assaults on both Death Stars and the Starkiller.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2017, 10:14:45 pm »

Again, there's nothing that makes hyperspace ramming any more effective than IRL ramming. If you were to steer an aircraft carrier into a fleet of ships you'd fuck them up pretty bad before sinking (or more realistically, being immobilized). You have lost out immensely by doing so, given the value of the aircraft carrier. Not only have you damaged your faction up on the strategic level by losing such an asset, but the sunk cost (pun intended) of the carrier is greater than that of the ships you murderfucked. But if it was the decisive battle of the war, the carrier's planes had all been shot down, and the only useful bodies and craft left were being picked off by those enemy ships? It's a different equation.   

Hyperspace drives are probably the most expensive parts of any ship and have to be scaled up with the size of the ship as well. Shooting a ship with a small hyperspace weapon is only going to be catastrophic if the ship is, say, less than four times the mass of the hyperspace weapon. Otherwise it's going to be like getting shot but having your organs missed. Bad, yes. Fatal, not really, and military vessels are going to have substantial damage control systems. And once you've done this, you've blown your space load on that part of your force, it's gone. Blasting down the shields and shooting with blasters and missiles is going to be way more cost and force efficient.

Ramming is like defibrillators. Fiction and intuition tells us that it's cool and dramatic, so it must be useful. But it's really not. The Raddus was in a nearly unique tactical situation to make a hyperspace ram of the Supremacy worthwhile, and did so almost as soon as those circumstances fell into place. It would have been an incorrect or at least less correct maneuver in every other Star Wars battle to date, including the assaults on both Death Stars and the Starkiller.

That's horribly false, though. If you can fly a zigzag hyperspace course through an ENTIRE FLIPPING FLEET with ONE CRUISER, then the Rebels should've DONE SO at the Second Death Star. The best of the Imperial Fleet in a huge mass of Star Destroyers, lined up for a shot. Yet they didn't, even though spending one (pre-evacuated, even) cruiser like that would've been MORE than worth the loss of a single ship. It ALSO would've made sense for them to do that to the Death Star's superlaser assembly, even if they couldn't manage to punch through to the hypermatter reactor itself.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2017, 10:26:02 pm »

Well... every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The violence to the ships is going to be meted out on your ship.

Equally so, this is quite clearly a very rarely used technique. If it became more common, tactics would adapt, much like a ship in the sea throwing off a firing solution for a torpedo from a sub, the ships would start changing their course and speed erratically to avoid it, or find some technology to negate the effects, like having an interdictor cruiser standard in every fleet, or even just gravity well generators on enough ships to make it untenable to commit resources to specialized rams.

Also... what if Holdor missed?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2017, 10:29:16 pm »

Whaddya mean, missed? She managed to cut three lines COMPLETELY THROUGH a Star Destroyer, and that wasn't even her primary target. This is CLEARLY not something you can miss with.

Also, the point I'm trying to make is that it's bull crap---it makes no sense and should never have been put in that movie.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2017, 10:30:40 pm »

Two I've heard:
One, Hyperspace ramming works only on that ship in particular, because it was using a hyperspace tracker, which is new technology. Their tracker is like a periscope which extends into hyperspace, so when a ship that's in hyperspace hits it it transfers kinetic energy into realspace.
I could accept this but then... how did Holdo knew this would work? This technology was completely unknown before, she had no way of knowing how it works, although the First Order might have been aware of this, which explains their reaction before getting rammed, but still.
She guessed and was proven right by getting blown apart/the force told her/everything was lost anyway so may as well try/she was an idiot who had never heard that hyperspace ramming doesn't work usually.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2017, 10:34:27 pm »

What do you mean you can’t miss? You saw it one time in a movie from a named character trying to save main characters :P

Nothing is certain, man.

It made sense given the context. This was the last of the Resistance being blown up, she had one ship and no fuel to be pissing about in a protracted battle. If it worked she bought her friends time, if not? Well, they were all dead anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »

chewbacca doesn't live on endor though
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2017, 10:36:26 pm »

1.) It's not a new technology. Like kamikaze wasn't a new technology. She just deciding to ram her ship into theirs ASAP to give the rebels as much time as possible. She had no idea it would work.
Tracking IS a new technology. That is literally what they say. Nobody ever made something that enabled you to track someone in Hyperspace, and First Order did. She could have no idea she could ram them, and yet "she decides to ram their ship".

Just to clarify, fleet combat has 100% taken place at greater effective ranges in Episodes 3 and 6. To be fair, Star Wars isn't the best at giving an accurate sense of scale in space combat so it's kind of a moot point--the range is pretty much always determined by plot. That said, the whole barely being able to outpace ISDs is an absolutely bogus looming threat. A.) No. B.) You're telling me that Mega Star Destroyer can't shoot for shit? Ridiculous. \
They literally say in the movie that they are too far away for their guns to work, which is why they are pursuing them in first place and waiting for them to run out of fuel instead of just, you know, gunning them down. Fuck scale, fuck that, I am going off what characters and plot tells me.

Again, there's nothing that makes hyperspace ramming any more effective than IRL ramming.
There is. Speed. Unavoidability. I will also say power, as with the speeds Star Wars capital ships seem to operate, I wouldn't say they should be able to literally cut something that seems to be at least four times as long as regular ISD in half.

If you were to steer an aircraft carrier into a fleet of ships you'd fuck them up pretty bad before sinking (or more realistically, being immobilized). You have lost out immensely by doing so, given the value of the aircraft carrier.
She destroyed biggest fucking ship in Galaxy, a capital of First Order to that and multiple goddamn ISDs on steroids using a ship that was magnitudes smaller. That is if a cruiser rammed all American carriers and sunk them at once. She won.

Not only have you damaged your faction up on the strategic level by losing such an asset, but the sunk cost (pun intended) of the carrier is greater than that of the ships you murderfucked. But if it was the decisive battle of the war, the carrier's planes had all been shot down, and the only useful bodies and craft left were being picked off by those enemy ships? It's a different equation.   
The cost of the ships she murderfucked was much higher of her ship. Sure, technically it is a loss for Resistance, since they have only one, but in regular combat between similarly sized fleets sacrificing one goddamn cruiser to destroy entire enemy fleet whereas normally you would probably have to deal with loss of many more due to regular combat is great fucking trade.

But the enemy will also be shooting back. This is why I said hyperspace weapons probably aren't an "I-Win button", but they should be considered in universe as something that has it's own applications. I don't think the hyperdrives are even that expensive, considering they slam those in X-Wings, and also if you're worried about the cost of losing a whole ship, just put a hyperdrive on a fucking asteroid or something.

Unique tactical situation my ass.
1) Supermacy could have hyperspaced small projectiles to destroy Resistance engines, since from rear that should be relatively easy and they couldn't dodge at all.
2) Hyperspace bombard the ground shields on Endor. Death Star now has no shields.
3) Hyperspace attack the Death Stars, with first one just attack near where the laser is to disable it and finish off the star with regular means, assuming the damage wouldn't be bad enough to kill it, and with second one that is literally half open to space just ram that fucker straight into the basically exposed core.
4) Hyperspace attack the Droid Control Ship in prequels.
And so on. The problem is IRL ramming is cool and dramatic but it's not really that useful, mostly because you can be destroyed by regular means before you ram (although a case could be made that literally all missiles are more or less ramming devices, just with explosives strapped on them). The problem however is that hyperspace ramming is pretty much instantenous, so it can't be really defended against.

Equally so, this is quite clearly a very rarely used technique. If it became more common, tactics would adapt, much like a ship in the sea throwing off a firing solution for a torpedo from a sub, the ships would start changing their course and speed erratically to avoid it, or find some technology to negate the effects, like having an interdictor cruiser standard in every fleet, or even just gravity well generators on enough ships to make it untenable to commit resources to specialized rams.
This is the exact fucking point. Why it's rare? Why it's not used more? It is clearly something that they realized could happen, but did nothing to counteract it? They act like universe is completly aware this can be done, but then everyone is fucking suprised to the core it can be done.

She guessed and was proven right by getting blown apart/the force told her/everything was lost anyway so may as well try/she was an idiot who had never heard that hyperspace ramming doesn't work usually.
And you're telling me in the long-ass time they hyperspace drives existed (EU be damned, the Republic was said to be old as fuck in regular canon anyway, so they had hyperdrives for at least this long) nobody tried it?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2017, 10:55:47 pm »

And you're telling me in the long-ass time they hyperspace drives existed (EU be damned, the Republic was said to be old as fuck in regular canon anyway, so they had hyperdrives for at least this long) nobody tried it?
If you'll check that post chain you were responding to specifically the idea that it works because that ship had a hyperspace tracker on it, which is a technology that was used for the first time ever is this very movie, so whoever was dumb enough to try ramming before that would have found that it does nothing.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2017, 11:14:36 pm »

If you'll check that post chain you were responding to specifically the idea that it works because that ship had a hyperspace tracker on it, which is a technology that was used for the first time ever is this very movie, so whoever was dumb enough to try ramming before that would have found that it does nothing.
Then what is she attempting to do?
And why First Order seems completly aware of what is she doing?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2017, 07:17:40 am »

I mean she only got the whole fleet because Plot(tm) conveniently lined them up perfectly in a line directly behind where she hit so they all got hit by the cone of destruction from the big boy
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2017, 07:22:58 am »

I think we can just say that hyperspace ramming is possible, but it's not an efficient use of resources. It's the same as saying that kamikaze plane attacks in general are possible however they're a really poor use of resources, whenever you have the choice to do something else, you do the something else.

Basically we can just assume that the amount of damage done with a big plasma  weapon over it's expected lifetime in a battle exceeds the damage done by firing hyperspace-engine things through the target, in terms of resource units needed to create the weapons. Basically, if you took the same amount of resources needed to create that rebel flagship, but instead used them to make a single huge plasma cannon (that doesn't have hyperspace engines), it would by necessity have done more damage than hyperspace ramming the enemy with the ship.

It's actually pretty easy to explain why hyperspace ramming is a thing you can do, but nobody normally does it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:35:32 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81