Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 96690 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:23 pm »

Haven’t read through the thread yet but who the heck was Snoke anyways? He came out of nowhere and died without much explanation except that he’s not a Sith Lord, doesn’t have a lightsaber, and is possibly one of the most Force-sensitive beings ever seeing as he can telepathically link two people several light years across, plus he can read minds and have weird and confusing ideas about the Dark Side.

I feel like we need another side-story, akin to Rogue One. We need an explanation for how Snoke's face got jacked up, what drove him to the dark side, and what his motivations were in taking over the Empire. Also, how they got ahold of new tracking technology. And what the deal was with that order of red-armored saber-weilding guards. Maybe some backstory on the female chrome-armored storm trooper. And just because it happened around the same time, throw in some stuff about Luke's Jedi Master phase.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2018, 08:44:31 pm »

Haven’t read through the thread yet but who the heck was Snoke anyways? He came out of nowhere and died without much explanation except that he’s not a Sith Lord, doesn’t have a lightsaber, and is possibly one of the most Force-sensitive beings ever seeing as he can telepathically link two people several light years across, plus he can read minds and have weird and confusing ideas about the Dark Side.

I feel like we need another side-story, akin to Rogue One. We need an explanation for how Snoke's face got jacked up, what drove him to the dark side, and what his motivations were in taking over the Empire. Also, how they got ahold of new tracking technology. And what the deal was with that order of red-armored saber-weilding guards. Maybe some backstory on the female chrome-armored storm trooper. And just because it happened around the same time, throw in some stuff about Luke's Jedi Master phase.

I didn't notice the chrome armored stormtrooper was female. Seemed like that person and Finn knew each other at some point though.

As for the red armored personal guards, Palpatine had similar as personal guards, so, they could be remnants (at least 20+ years after Palpatine died though...) of that or Snoke copied them from Palpatine.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2018, 10:08:38 pm »

I didn't notice the chrome armored stormtrooper was female. Seemed like that person and Finn knew each other at some point though.

She appeared multiple times in The Force Awakens and was an integral part of the plot on Starkiller Base.

Speaking of Yoda, him suddenly gaining a sadistic streak seemed wierd. I get that he was supposed to have been a little eccentric, but the whole zapping the tree with lightning when Luke hesitated or took too long seemed out of character.

He was a lil' shithead in ESB. He ate Luke's food, spat it back out, just acted as a general nuisance until he could drop the bomb on Luke that he, in fact, is Yoda.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:07 pm »

I love the little troll.  The books weren't even in the temple, Rey stole them.  At no point in the movie did Luke ever realize that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2018, 07:53:55 am »

phasma (chrome stormtrooper) has some lines, but both films completely fail to actually introduce the character and why the hate with finn is so personal - wouldn't even take much, say, five minute where she's reprimanded for letting one trooper radicalize, with some insight in the new trooper hiring/training process, would have gone a great length to give the audience at least a glimmer of her motivations

this is a motive thorough the movie, people do stuff because they're told to do it, without understanding nor motivation, up to and including general fancy hair plan to reach the rebel fortress, but even if it had a meaning or a hidden message, it was executed sloppily (cfr Merovingio 'you have been sent here', maybe not the best film but drives very well home the point that everyone is just a pawn at that point )

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:53 am »

I love the little troll.  The books weren't even in the temple, Rey stole them.  At no point in the movie did Luke ever realize that.
I was wondering how many other people noticed that :)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2018, 09:02:30 am »

I just assumed the red guards were the missing Jedi.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2018, 10:09:16 am »

She appeared multiple times in The Force Awakens and was an integral part of the plot on Starkiller Base.

Speaking of Yoda, him suddenly gaining a sadistic streak seemed wierd. I get that he was supposed to have been a little eccentric, but the whole zapping the tree with lightning when Luke hesitated or took too long seemed out of character.

He was a lil' shithead in ESB. He ate Luke's food, spat it back out, just acted as a general nuisance until he could drop the bomb on Luke that he, in fact, is Yoda.

I thought he was intentionally doing that, acting like a crazed hermit until he could be absolutely sure of Luke's intentions. It's possible that he may actually have gone a little loopy during his isolation.

I was wondering how many other people noticed that :)

I noticed in a later scene some point some books that looked a heck of a lot like those jedi books, but wasn't sure if they were. So, technically I noticed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2018, 10:34:11 am »

I had been spoiled on that detail and still didn't notice when it came up, so I don't really begrudge people for not noticing it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2018, 10:48:59 am »

EDIT: Warning, wall of angry text.

I just assumed the red guards were the missing Jedi.

???

You mean the new movie which spawned a giant space lobster from nowhere Sith Noone Knew Existed*  and then killed him off with no previous warning?   :P
So yeah, no, it´s not a peak of narrative quality. If anything it´s sort of reminiscent of Poochie the Dog in The Simpsons (anyone remember that?)

*The name and character implementation are so lame that I´m pretty sure the redditer who came up with this acronym hit jackpot as to it´s etymology.
The bombers in the opening were brilliant.  SW has always been WW2 dogfighters in space, now we have a WW2 bomber in space.  Complete with the obligatory midflight repair/crew death war story.  That bomber is the first SW vehicle I’ve seen since the original trilogy that wasn’t based on any old vehicle, yet still felt like it belonged.

The bombers were retarded. Actually. Where the fuck are the y-wings??? Granted they looked alright, but it's pretty well established that neither the rebels or imperials use fucking carpet bombing in a fleet action. Like y-wings are a thing. tie-bombers. These new things didn't make any sense.

As for Leia pulling herself out of space... I basically just wrote an essay about this and it digressed at some point.  So I'll split this into two things.  First, about Leia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then continuing on to talk about TLJ, still using the above points:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[rage intensifies] this movie is not how you do anything correctly!

Shit. I don't even know where to start.

Leia: That scene was dumb. as. shit. I have no qualms with Leia being force-sensitive with the potential to be Luke-level powerful, that makes perfect sense within the logic of the universe. But... UGH, first of all the whole way she like wakes back up and flies through space to look like a Disney princess is just fucking bullshit. I mean, seriously? It was so saccharine and campy, if she IS so powerful as to fucking protect herself from space AND force-pull herself back to the ship, why didn't she just stop the missiles from impacting? Easy stuff in comparison. Why didn't she sense Kylo? So many things that should have happened first, didn't. And y'know what, frankly, if you wanna bypass all that stuff so you can have the bullshit Disney moment, at least back it up with logic that we can see. TELL US OUTRIGHT why didn't these obvious things happen.

As far as "rebuilding what it means to be a jedi"... just, no man. No. I'm pretty sure the whole point of the movie is the opposite. The whole theme is that both Jedi and Sith are outmoded and overly extremist, that the whole good vs evil thing is bullshit. Rey ISN'T a Jedi and Kylo ISN'T a Sith--that's like pretty heavily present in just about every scene. It's called "The Last Jedi" for a reason. Rey's arc, and EVERYONE'S for that matter... are bad because they're all things that the characters WERE in the last film.

Rey = selfless, helping the ones you love (uh, decides to blow up Starkiller Base????) Also her parents being no one is such a bullshit thing. If you gonna build up the whole "who are her parents" thing and then RUIN IT for us, give us a more interesting scene then her just fucking looking into a cool mirror. What a lame way to end that plot line. I mean Kylo brings it up again, but he was just being a meanie weenie. There's basically no emotional realization for Rey.

Finn = not being a fucking coward (UH, ALSO decides to GO BACK to FO territory to blow up Starkiller Base?????)

Poe = not being the worst wing commander to have ever made the fleet (He just isn't. I don't know what to say. He does what he does because he has to. And now he does it because he has brain damage.)

Kylo = actually pretty good character development, goes from trying to decide between dark and light and realizing it's all bullshit and they're just two sides that don't correlate to right and wrong. The only character which I actually think has gotten a lot better.

... and because it has to be said, I know she wasn't in TFA:

Rose = "Delete this." SELF-INSERT FAN FICTION. Fuck off Rian.

The Luke v Kylo fight: DAMN MAN. Worst fight in all nine movies. Hands down. What the fuck was that? I get WHAT Luke's doing, but just the choice for him to astral project instead of actually show up is terrible filmmaking. *sigh* There is so much fucking wrong with this sequence. The goofy-ass, dog-looking new AT-ATs (apparently some Disney exec has a hardon for making things bigger, which makes them look badder) volleying Luke, Luke just dodging Kylo's swings for all of 5 seconds, the fact that THAT kills him. [angery noises] And listen dude, you are going to tell me straight-faced, without laughing that Luke NOT being involved is somehow better for the galaxy??? Oh shit, let's just let these force-sensitives figure it out on their own! My god. His whole plot arc is about getting back up on the horse and overcoming his failures and he just... poofs!? Are you fucking serious!? Luke Skywalker. The guy. The dude. The man. Just fucking poofs? The worst plot arc in history. Killing him without basically passing on any of his wisdom is tantamount to resetting the whole Jedi v Sith thing back to the Old Republic era! So much progress lost!

And ooooh boy, Rey saving the day makes her super duper good and right! No! How could you think that??? She went to figure her own shit out first and only happened to arrive on time via chance. Rey literally acted selfishly this whole movie. Her mission is to get Luke to help, fails. Then she decides oh, I have to turn Kylo--fuck this mission. Fails, also fucking delivers herself into FO custody which via plot-armor is somehow a good thing. Oh, NOW I'll go save the rebellion--yay me, I'm the best!

No one acts intelligently. No one makes any sort of real discovery. No one does anything meaningful. And on top of it all, what good there is in the movie (see: Kylo being a good character) is shit on by how bad the filmmaking and directorial decisions are. Even if the movie was better in both creative vision and actual screenwriting, it is positively ruined by the off-time comedy, persistent plot-armor, characters acting out of character. This might as well been the last film. Or the first film. It really doesn't matter as it really doesn't connect to anything else done by any SW movie ever.

PART 2:

Damn. I thought I didn't know where to begin before. Holy shit, lol. Alright, just... one paragraph at a time I guess, so we can both know to what I'm responding.

Paragraph #1: I actually kind of agree with this. I think you're extrapolating with the pitying, but generally ya.

Paragraph #2: Kylo trying and failing to be Vader is part of a great plot arc. Empire? That image is definitely not destroyed, if the dialogue is be believed they once again control most of the galaxy as the First Order. Bad writing. Kylo taking control is interesting though--kinda. Because now he's the big bad, when he could have had a much more interesting arc. So that's disappointing.

Paragraph #3: So many mixed emotions. One, no. What was started in TFA is not at all finished--and if it is, it was hacked down by a bad director. Two, what if I told you that Episode 8 is just a bad movie. Yes, a bad Star Wars movie, but just a bad movie. If this movie wasn't a Star Wars movie you'd just be like, damn, that was a bad movie. It certainly DOES NOT extract what the core of Star Wars is. IMO, the core of Star Wars is this: Secret Missions. Exotic Landscapes. The Force. And above all: A sense of wonder. Episode 8 has all of these things... but executes them poorly, and in my book is perhaps only slightly better than Episode 2, that one being the worse if I'm being objective. Worse than that though, you are right in Star Wars being Americana, it's a cultural artifact. Ep4 is in the Library of Congress ffs. Episode 8 fucking destroys that. I mean... damn. How can you not see that Disney is just going to mass produce these movies, IS mass-producing these movies? The light has gone out from the vision that is Star Wars. Hell the originals are not perfect, and frankly the prequels are a rushed mass of ideas and references, but goddamn there is a golden string of inspiration that runs through every one of those movies. TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ all lack it. The Fifth Element is a better Star Wars movie than Episode 8. There is a movie that LOOKS like Star Wars, but does not FEEL like Star Wars. I mean, shit TLJ is just flat out bad from a non-fan perspective, but the same applies to TFA and to a lesser extent Rogue One which are much better movies. TFA is has the makings of a Star Wars film and comes pretty close, but is really just emulating the originals without the style that Lucas had. Rogue One actually hits DAMN CLOSE to home. I would say that the director actually succeeded in making a Star Wars movie. It feels right. The story is just a little lame to be truly great. Forgettable main characters. Everyone dies when they don't really need to. TLJ is the death knell. The final stroke that kills Lucas' creative influence. In a few short years, the series that he created will be dead and gone. It will, as I have said and will continue to say, be Marvelized. We'll get larger and larger casts. Mediocre movies. Comic-book-esque cinematography. And big name actors. Bad stories. Bad dialogue. Obviously, Star Wars had to move on from Lucas at some point if it was to continue being a PROFITABLE franchise, but IMO this was the worst possible way to do it.

Paragraph #4: Welp. Let's just agree to disagree. Just imagine that I inserted what you typed, but every sentence was in the negative--that would pretty much sum up my feelings on TLJ.

Paragraph #5: I think you're absolutely right in your predictions. 100%.  However, fuck Rian Johnson--as far I am concerned, he's destroyed something I loved. The fact that he gets free reign over the next trilogy makes me sick--there is a 0% chance he doesn't fuck it up. Here's my own prediction: We will never see another good Star Wars movie.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:54:38 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:07 pm »

This is a movie so we can agree to disagree, its fine.  I watched this movie and I thought it was amazing.  And I'm pretty picky.  There's nothing amazing about that.  Then some of the more hardcore fans watched the movie and hated it so much they petitioned disney to declare it not canon and to immediately remake it.  For something as old and entrenched as Star Wars, that's not weird either.

Its just odd to me that people could be so far apart on this.  Like I think a movie's good, someone else thinks its bad, that's normal.  Me thinking its better than the worst of the OT, while someone else thinking its worse than the prequels?  That's not normal.  Even for something polarizing like, say, the Watchmen movie, which had Alan Moore put a hex on it in a more extreme version of Mark Hamill stating misgivings.  Even hardcore comics fans on the internet who don't like the Watchmen movie still had good things to say about it.  I didn't like the Watchmen movie but I still acknowledge its craft was at least well executed.  Just like how, in my opinion (and we both wrote a page of text we don't need to keep talking about this unless we want to) the craft in this movie was solid.  The cinematography was well done, the fight scenes had clear blocking and establishment of stakes, the writing was good.  Its kind of like... OK, I hated Skyfall.  I think I'm mostly alone in this.  But even tho I hated Skyfall, I acknowledge that the craft that went into it was solid.  Likewise, a lot of people who defend movies generally accepted to be bad will acknowledge that some aspect of the craft that went into them is bad.  So I think movie responses should always be closer than they are here.

This especially since all the movie reporting cites like Box Office Mojo agree that exit polls for the movie were top notch.  Also that its box office returns match the previous patterns that both the OT and prequels had (a steady drop of a third between each sequel, presumably because no one wants to start the series partway through).  And all I can think is that this movie worked for the general audiences that have always been SW core fandom.  SW has never been a geek thing.  What I see here is an *extremely* motivated minority flocking to every avenue they have to bad mouth the movie on the internet.  Text written in RT audience reviews is essentially never read by anyone.  The culture on RT is to not write a review or to write a one paragraph one.  So there's a very low barrier of entry to tanking the RT audience reviews.  Meanwhile the RT critic reviews are gated, thus representing, not a general audience really, but not that motivated minority.  IMDB on the other hand, is a cinephile's playground.  Every single movie, even the schlockiest B movie, gets essay length reviews on IMDB.  On top of that they just care more than the RT audience review crowd.  So that small minority gets more drowned out, because in IMDB you're kind of expected to take the time to write a review, and there's already a big crowd of film nerds that were *going* to watch this and review it but aren't hardcore SW fans.  Now a couple weeks in, when all the cinephiles have already seen the movie over Christmas break but the hatedom is still chugging along strongly, its easier to begin slowly dragging the IMDB reviews into the ground.

I just don't see where the hate is in general audiences.  And as I've already explained, the hatedom is so far from my perspective it boggles the mind.  Like, the box office return is there.  The exit polls are there.  The critic response is there.  Its just online reviews and forums that are against the movie.

I absolutely don't think that 99.999% of audiences went even a third in the depth I did in their analysis of this movie.  I'm an English major but I went to a film school and I have a lot of film major friends.  I have strong feelings about this.  But one of my core beliefs about art is that audience won't don't do the analysis but they still *notice* the little details.  Like how my film nerd friends went berserk when they watched Fury Road because they know what cgi looks like* and they understood that the cars were real.  Most people didn't know that.  But they loved Fury Road and praised the special effects and the worldbuilding.  Because even tho they didn't know why, the little details still effected them.  In the same way, I think people could tell that this movie was destroying SW symbols and norms.  I don't think everyone explicitly caught on to the movie's many red herrings (there are actually dozens, many nothing more than implications), but I think they could tell that many scenes went differently than what they expected.  In my opinion, SW's core demographic caught onto this and was game, while the geek demographic caught onto this and was furious because this isn't a SW movie as they would define a SW movie.

To go into a little more detail on what I mean by this: SW has been choked by its own canon.  George Lucas' faith that his project could succeed was what allowed SW to exist.  Doesn't change that he's a shit writer and director.  His wife edited the movies and Carrie Fisher script doctored them, without that it would have been horrible.  Rocket Punch did a good video on this if you're interested, "how SW was saved in the edit."  He divorced his wife after V and was so rich he didn't have to take his actors' advice anymore.  Sry Harrison Ford, cursing at the director will no longer result in script changes.  So what we got in VI, is a movie that's essentially a rehash of IV and V.  Literally the only new setting we get is a forest world, which is the most obvious setting in which to set SW's WW2 inspired combat.  Remember, those guns the storm troopers had?  People who were alive at the time VI came out had literally fired those weapons (British SMGs that resembled German ones) in the forests of Western Europe.  It was a cultural reference so clear as to be almost on-the-nose.  The only new thing about Endor was the Ewoks, and they succccckkkkkkeeedddd.  So we've got one movie that's a rehash.  Then the prequels practically worship Darth Vader and make everything that defines the OT pre-destined to happen despite there being no implication of that in the OT.  So that's four movies that are rehashes.  Then VII is basically a New Hope+, and Rogue One is not meant to be a mainline film but still ends with a nostalgic little love letter to a New Hope.  So that's SIX MOVIES that have been living in the shadow of those two original SW movies.  That's what geeks define SW as.  What its been, essentially.  But general audiences haven't been endlessly rewatching the old 6 movies, nor have they been reading the supplemental materials.  To them SW is that fun movie about laser battles in space.  So... well, they don't care where the Y-wings are.  Going back to how the average person doesn't analyze but they still understand, the scene in the body of the bombers was fundamentally similar to the cockpit/droid repair/Millenium Falcon turret shots from A New Hope.  Even the little rattling motion inside the bomb bay was similar to a lot of "hallway of ship under fire" shots.  So to someone who has fond memories of A New Hope, but hasn't been reading starship top speeds and blast yields on Wookiepedia, that opening scene was what they were looking for in a SW film.

*cgi can't do weight and gravity.  People who went to film school can tell without knowing in advance, its weird.  If something is flighty its cgi.  Remember those shots in all the transformers trailers where Bumblebee or whoever would transform while rolling and they would practically fly off the ground as if they weighed nothing?  Weakness of cgi.  That bit in the Pacific Rim cockpits where they would push the gauntlets forward and there's clearly physical resistance and then click when the gauntlets snap into place?  They could do that because the cockpit was a set and the pilot rigging was heavy in real life
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:49 pm »

I have no idea what my excuse is. I mostly see Star Wars shit through how interesting it'd be in a video game and this movie had nothing on that front, not even useful worldbuilding for that.

Or maybe I'm just wrong at what I think and I see Star Wars movies as... just movies. Not sure. Probably the latter, considering how I actually thought.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »

Seems to me that the director succeeded in making a movie that most people will enjoy, and that will cause a few nerds on the internet to go into seething rage. Not that bad, really. Hell, maybe the rage helps publicity somewhat.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2018, 03:48:56 pm »

Like I said, I can disagree with people on this.  Nothing morally wrong with disliking (or hating, or liking, or whatever) this movie.  I'm just analytical in general, I basically write an essay in my head about every movie I watch.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:30 pm »

I mean. I haven't met anyone in real life who actually thinks its a good movie. Everyone I've SPOKEN to has expressed their disappointment in the extreme.

But I want to point out, as a film major, that... the fundamentals are NOT there. Like... nothing about this movie is how a movie should be made? That is what confuses me. I DO hate it because I think it's ruined the franchise, but it is also a bad movie--craft-wise.

The plot structure is quite bad when examined, it invalidates most of what actually occurs in the first sixty minutes. There's really no satisfactory pay-off. In the end, nothing is accomplished, and no one is really changed. NEED I go into more depth than that? I can. Screenwriting is what I do, and this script is... yikes.

The comedy is just off. It felt so out of place.

The character development is nil or backwards. Except for Kylo--who's rocking.

The cinematography is also "off" I don't want to say it is bad, as every shot taken by itself is on-the-whole, quite beautiful, but the decisions are wrong. The shots are boring or way over the top in a way that jumps the shark. Bigger =/= badder.

The editing is actually bad. Sequences don't always come together in ways that they should, there are no less than three times where cuts were noticeably too quick (and I'm no editor), and transitions were used inappropriately. Star Wars is famous for its wipes, but they didn't flow well or get used properly here.

I've seen how Star Wars was saved in the edit. Excellent piece. However, you're analysis of George is a little off. Shit writer, yes. Shit director? No. Great director man. Listen, he's shit at writing dialogue, but trust me Star Wars wouldn't have been saved at all if he didn't have plenty of gold in there. His vision was fairly complete--especially compared to most modern film-makers--so y'know I don't get when people lambaste him for making GREAT movies. Let's not forget he has other wildly successful movies.

As far as defining what a Star Wars movie is, I mean, there IS a certain way to make a Star Wars film! Like, that's just how it is. You can't slap the Star Wars label on anything and call it Star Wars... I also do not get that. There ARE certain expectations for a Star Wars film, sure you can defy those and if it's a good movie it's fine, but as I have previously pointed out, Ep8 is NOT a good movie. There is nothing good about it. On a fundamental level, this movie fails. If I was a Disney Script Reader I would be APPALLED that this script was submitted to me.

Honestly, you are in equal parts just accepting this movie because lots of people like it and saying that some older stuff sucked because it didn't live up to YOUR expectations. Why is THAT okay? Listen, I'm not some super fan here dude. No one I have talked to is a super fan either. We've seen the movies, watched some of the TV shows, and read a book or two. We're not memorizing stats on wookiepedia. (Although, as far as wikias go--it's a good one) But I'm not going to go easy on it because it's a blockbuster. It sucked. Most people just don't care. A lot of people just view this type of film as escapism and not a serious attempt at art, which is what I assume everything is.

Also, again, as a film major--I really don't have any problem with the CGI it was quite good for the most part--if far too ridiculous in some scenes.

Why I keep responding and keep saying what's wrong with it is because I honestly do not understand WHAT people see in this film. For me? Top 3 worst films ever made. I truly, truly hated it. Even when people, such as yourself, have explained their positions pretty fully, I just don't see WHY you like what you like? No one has to justify that of course, but it also boggles my mind that reviews are so far apart. I mean damn, things people say are good, or well-executed about this film are things that I think are extremely poorly done. It goes against everything I have ever learned about making films and my own personal style.

Like I said, I can disagree with people on this.  Nothing morally wrong with disliking (or hating, or liking, or whatever) this movie.  I'm just analytical in general, I basically write an essay in my head about every movie I watch.

Same.

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 81