Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Insurrection | The Resistance  (Read 8361 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Insurrection | The Resistance
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:25 pm »

This is the Resistance thread. You should probably stay out if you're an Authority pig.

Link back to Main

We used to hate people, now we just make fun of them. It's more effective that way. Fewer black bags and less coming back to apartments ransacked by police searching for a reason to lock you up in a black hole for not wanting to bend over.

We don't live, we just scratch on day to day with nothing but matchbooks and sarcasm in our pockets, and all we are waiting for is for something worth waiting for.

But let's face it. We did this to ourselves. We need something to kill the pain of all that nothing inside, and we found it in glossy magazines and shiny screens dancing with pretty fucking lights of the newest tri-shows. We fucking buried our desire to resist under a mountain of cheap beer, hollywood asses, and every other thing we could get our hands on to distract us from the fact that this fucking city makes us all just want to die a little bit inside.

We fear that pop-culture is the only culture we're ever going to have, we want to stop reading magazines, stop watching T.V., stop caring about Hollywood, but we're addicted to the things we hate. Let's admit that we've gotten the celebrities we deserve. I'd say we've gotten the leaders we deserve too, but we don't run this goddamn city and no one really does.

The Authority talks about loyalty, about service, about law, about discipline. Every fucking time someone tries to make things better, the Authority just vomits more bullshit about how everyone has to pull their weight.

Ask not what you can do for this City, Ask what this city did to you.

The only reason you're still alive is because someone decided you're not worth the time and effort to kill. We owe so much money we're not broke we're broken, we're so poor we can't even pay attention to the world going to shit, and all anybody wants is what they see in the vids: to be famous and rich and happy.

Cut that shit out.

You are more than the sum of what you consume,  and desire is not an occupation. You are alternately thrilled and desperate, skyhigh and fucked. Let's stop praying for someone to save us and start saving ourselves. Let's stop this and start over, and build a new city.

This is your life - this is your fucking life. You only have one, and you can either spend it drowning in the shit that the Authorities pump into you to keep you passive and obedient, or you can stand up for something for the first time in your goddamn life.

We need this revolution.

Resistance Starter Set

You will now have three special turns of card designing before the game begins. On each of these special turns, you can manipulate your deck freely (instead of a single one-to-many swap) and you can design/revise two cards.

((This OP adapted from this song))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Insurrection | The Resistance
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:49:35 pm »

The glorious resistance needs the ability to attack the enemy hero as fast as possible, so that means lot of burn and lots of aggressive minions. It means that the enemy faction will also have less resources at their disposals during the early turns so it let's us get the opportunity to hit them hard.
Here's an idea for a card to be a evergrowing menace while also being cheap.

Quote from: Idea
Growing Nanite Swarm
Color: Blue/Red
Art: Image
Type: Creature - Construct Mech
Effect: Whenever a friendly creature is put onto the battlefield, give Growing Nanite Swarm +0/+1 permanently.
P/T: 1/6
Flavor Text: "Nanorobots utilize all resources at hand to become larger and larger..."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:19:52 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »

I am here.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »

How about:

Armory Raid
Tactic
-1 P to one enemy, +1 P to one friendly unit. Not sure if it should be permanent.

Also thinking of sleeper agent reaction, redirect one attacking unit to their own line. Or similar.

I don't really play magic.

I want to make a false flag operation card too.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

Here's something to leverage our cheap resistance fighters by making them all 2/2s, and which would also buff the Brawlers into 4/2s, which would let us be more aggressive with them without letting basically anything take them down.

Firebrand
Color: Red
Art: Someone giving a speech
Type: Creature - Human Politician
Effect: All other humans you control gain +1/+1 as long as this creature remains in play.
P/T: 1/1
Flavor Text: "Do you hear the sound of angry men? I do."

And here's something to make trading creatures more painful for the enemy.

Televised Martyrdom
Color: Red
Art: Someone being killed by the police, on TV?
Type: Reaction
Effect: This card can only be played in reaction to a creature being put into the graveyard. Put X 1/1 red Human Resistance token creatures into play, where X is equal to the dead creature's converted mana cost.
Flavor Text: "One spark in the right place can bring about a revolution."

And finally, a new creature to help with board control by tapping anything we don't want to deal with right now.

Freelance Reporter
Color: Blue
Type: Creature - Human Reporter
Effect: Slick. UT: Tap target creature.
P/T: 1/1
Flavor Text: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will crack this city open."
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 05:45:53 pm »

I had a great idea for a strategy card when discussed in the Discord... see this.

Prosthetic Assembly Line:
Type: Artifact
Effect: Tap (1U): Summon a 1/2 Cyborg Soldier onto the battlefield.
Art for Token: Image
Flavor Text: "The authority has always been wasteful, but with every moment we have utilized our time to fullest and gain the most out of it."

Here's an idea to create synergy to this Cyborg-based deck while also providing us with powerful minions we can create as the game progresses.

Cyborg Enthusiast Punk
Color: Red/Blue
Type: Creature - Human Mechanic
Tap (1R); Summon a 1/2 Cyborg Soldier token.
Art for Token: Image
P/T: 1/2
Flavor Text: "Mechanizing a human is just a fun hobby that many do not explore."

As for next, card draw is a big importance of any deck. More card draw is importance, and this would be a great spell to enchant with the powerful Cyborgs we could create!

Jamming Signal
Type: Strategy 
Effect: Give target creature Shrouded, if it's a Mech or Cyborg draw a card.
Flavor Text: "Jammers of all types have been great for the Resistance, their just so easy to manufacture!"

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:18:54 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 05:52:19 pm »

Tokens can't go into the hand though? They can only exist in play. They don't even go into the graveyard when slain.

Could definitely see a card like that that just spat a 1/1 or 1/2 token creature into play at every start of your turn though. I was considering something like that myself, though I was mentally referring to it as 'Revolutionary Fever' instead of a robot production line.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 06:00:03 pm »

There was conflicting ideas between creating Cyborg/hacker kind of Matrix/Shadowrun type of digital-era resistance, to a literally guerrilla resistance with people with guns and stuff. Thieves, spies, terrorists, revolutionaries, etc. I was trying to make it feel more like a "digital" type of revolution, maybe if the production line created cyborgs revolutionaries with some sort of medical/biomechanical facility it would seem more thematic? Because the game concept is having a Cyberpunk theme.

As well, do not know if tokens can be added onto our hand. Maybe that can be the special keyword for the Resistance, the rebellion is so strong that it adds endless amounts of reinforcements against the Authority

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »

My concept of the revolution was that of a vaguely hacktivist/terrorist organization trying to discredit the government and turn its infrastructure against it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:11:55 pm »

There was conflicting ideas between creating Cyborg/hacker kind of Matrix/Shadowrun type of digital-era resistance, to a literally guerrilla resistance with people with guns and stuff. Thieves, spies, terrorists, revolutionaries, etc. I was trying to make it feel more like a "digital" type of revolution, maybe if the production line created cyborgs revolutionaries with some sort of medical/biomechanical facility it would seem more thematic? Because the game concept is having a Cyberpunk theme.
Personally I see no reason to limit ourselves to one or the other. But the cards we're starting with seem to be more on the side of 'a literal resistance' then anything else. Of course, as we make more cards this could change...

As well, do not know if tokens can be added onto our hand. Maybe that can be the special keyword for the Resistance, the rebellion is so strong that it adds endless amounts of reinforcements against the Authority
No, we do know. This is still based on MTG, and tokens crease to exist when they are in a zone other then the field. We can ask Draignean if tokens can be in the hand in this game, but I have 100% confidence the reply will be 'nope'. It'd be really really potentially unbalancing and a headache if sides were effectively permitted to just raise up the card cap/how many cards are in each deck at will.
Forenia Forever!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:55:42 pm »

Yeah I agree. I would like to have a mix of the revolution motif and cybernetic hacker theme. We can manage both, and while the theme is cool and all, its what the cards do that matter in the end.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:12 pm »

Hostage - blue
Strategy-Creature
tap+UU=Look at the hand of the enchanted creature's controller.
tap+UU=Hostage grants control of enchanted creature.
"We all have a price and some things are worth more than money..."
Yes, Killing the hostage will return the creature to its original owner, even if that owner was the one to do it. Guess their P.R. is just that good...

We do really need some card-spying though to go with our reactions, especially counterspells.

Tax Cuts, Primal -Red/blue?
Tactic
Until end of turn, you may activate any land in play as though you were its owner.
"They tax these lands in the name of prosperity and stability, but use them to make war against their own people to maintain their own excesses! Today we take it back! Let none of their agents sway you, every scrap that you leave behind means more dead citizens!"
Ownership only applies to activations(including basic tapping for mana) of those cards and the ownership of those activations. It does not apply to sacrificing affected lands(unless they sacrifice as part of their own activation) or targeting them as though you owned them.
A bit of mana paralysis and a chance at a mad spending spree.

Protection Racket -Blue
Strategy-land
Grants control of enchanted land.
"Any position that you cannot defend, you cannot claim."
We probably don't want this to degenerate into land control, but it is an option...

Nanite Outbreak - Red
Reaction
All non-cyborg human creatures in play gain +1/+0, their type gains "Cyborg", and they gain "If this creature takes battle damage, increase its battle damage by its toughness."
"Sometimes they just go crazy and start messing with people. Nobody knows why, and the changes are usually beneficial, until something sets them off again..."
If we want cyborg-themingthen we need a conversion process. I don't really like cyborgs, but meh, they are a thing. This card serves to upgrade a mess of friendlies while potentially crippling a powerful blocker. Though most of their powerful blockers will probably be robots, especially if they see this card... also I intended it to be a trample thing and an attempt to make a zero-toughness creature, but am not entirely certain if my wording works for that. I would intend for this to make us defenceless against trample, in the interests of keeping it cheap.

Cyborg Arm - Red
Creature - Cyborg
1/1
tap and sacrifice to grant a creature +1+0 and add the "cyborg" type.
"I swear, it just came alive and attacked them!"
A cheap creature that can be recycled later.
Cyborg Pelvis - Red
Creature - Cyborg
0/2
tap and sacrifice to grant a creature +0+1 and add the "cyborg" type.
"AAAAAAAAAA..."
Well I needed a defensive version...
Cyborg Head - Red
Creature - Cyborg
0/2
tap and sacrifice to reduce the cost of the next "Cyborg" you play by 1R.
"I don't know how it's used, I just follow the schematics."
Have you never heard of theme-ing?

But if we want to go full-on crazy-tech then...
Data Manifestation -blue
Tactic
Until end of turn, reveal your hand and you may treat cards in your hand as though they were in play.
This city is filled with information. It runs through the streets, the buildings, the very air around us, but none of it is visible, none of it can touch us. You had best hope that it remains that way...
why not have a reality-warping internet and wizard-hackers... A single-card version of this would probably be more sensible.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 08:37:17 pm »

No, we do know. This is still based on MTG, and tokens crease to exist when they are in a zone other then the field. We can ask Draignean if tokens can be in the hand in this game, but I have 100% confidence the reply will be 'nope'. It'd be really really potentially unbalancing and a headache if sides were effectively permitted to just raise up the card cap/how many cards are in each deck at will.

My reply is indeed nope.

Tokens, by their definition, only exist in the field of battle. You can add them to the field, but you can't add them to the hand. Endless reinforcements are possible, but you can't pass them into your hand if they're tokens. It's a rule of MtG that I will trust and adhere to, largely because I'm sure that they had a damn good reason for it, and I'm not willing to break down a fence just to see why it was put up.

Hostage - blue
Strategy-Creature
tap+UU=Look at the hand of the enchanted creature's controller.
tap+UU=Hostage grants control of enchanted creature.
"We all have a price and some things are worth more than money..."
Yes, Killing the hostage will return the creature to its original owner, even if that owner was the one to do it. Guess their P.R. is just that good...

Hum, so is it a critter, or not?

Are you thinking of an enchantment creature, which is a creature that is also an enchantment, or are you thinking of an enchantment aura, which is an enchant that gets attached to an individual creature? This reads more as an enchantment aura.

I should probably have a better name for Strategic... auras...

All non-cyborg human creatures in play gain +1/+0, their type gains "Cyborg", and they gain "If this creature takes battle damage, increase its battle damage by its toughness."

Mrh? If it takes damage, the damage taken is increased by its toughness? Or if the creature takes damage, it's power is increased by its toughness? I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 10:11:33 pm »

Hum, so is it a critter, or not?

Are you thinking of an enchantment creature, which is a creature that is also an enchantment, or are you thinking of an enchantment aura, which is an enchant that gets attached to an individual creature? This reads more as an enchantment aura.

I should probably have a better name for Strategic... auras...

Mrh? If it takes damage, the damage taken is increased by its toughness? Or if the creature takes damage, it's power is increased by its toughness? I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.
Not a creature. Just a strategy.
I have not played Magic for quite some time. The last I heard about it was that you could no longer sacrifice creatures after they took fatal battle damage and I had been out of it for a while even then... I believe that it used to be "enchant creature" but I am working off memory here so I could be completely wrong about that. Regardless, enchant aura sounds like the right thing though. Definitely an enchantment that sticks to a specific creature.

And I meant it to be a sort of way of faking zero toughness originally, but then it became its own thing. But if it takes damage, then that damage increases by its toughness, thus negating its toughness from the perspective of trample, I think... Really, it is a pretty weird edge-case thing so I don't know how to phrase it well, and it is already a product of trying to phrase it without a mess of conditionals. I want to avoid affecting the creature that dealt the damage, as that might mix with that creature's abilities if it somehow attacks twice or multiplies its damage or increases its toughness by the damage that it deals or something, but I also want it to imitate a creature with zero toughness when trample comes calling, and any other abilities besides. I guess I should go back to "this creature's toughness counts as one less for purposes other than remaining in play at zero or lower toughness"? That loses the interesting "instant kaboom" of the current version, but meh, we all must make sacrifices...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 10:22:21 pm »

Not a creature. Just a strategy.
I have not played Magic for quite some time. The last I heard about it was that you could no longer sacrifice creatures after they took fatal battle damage and I had been out of it for a while even then... I believe that it used to be "enchant creature" but I am working off memory here so I could be completely wrong about that. Regardless, enchant aura sounds like the right thing though. Definitely an enchantment that sticks to a specific creature.

And I meant it to be a sort of way of faking zero toughness originally, but then it became its own thing. But if it takes damage, then that damage increases by its toughness, thus negating its toughness from the perspective of trample, I think... Really, it is a pretty weird edge-case thing so I don't know how to phrase it well, and it is already a product of trying to phrase it without a mess of conditionals. I want to avoid affecting the creature that dealt the damage, as that might mix with that creature's abilities if it somehow attacks twice or multiplies its damage or increases its toughness by the damage that it deals or something, but I also want it to imitate a creature with zero toughness when trample comes calling, and any other abilities besides. I guess I should go back to "this creature's toughness counts as one less for purposes other than remaining in play at zero or lower toughness"? That loses the interesting "instant kaboom" of the current version, but meh, we all must make sacrifices...

Yep, that's an aura.

Anyway, might just want to stick to "when attacking or blocking, this creature's toughness can be no greater than 1", which seems mostly like what you want, right?
---
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7