Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851014 times)

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4500 on: May 06, 2022, 05:47:13 pm »

Is there a matrix/spreadsheet screen planned that has skills in columns with rows being dwarves?  Many city builders based on DF have this type of screen to quickly isolate/find which citizens are the best at things and it would help build initial militaries and finding the best gem setter in the fortress when needed.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: May 07, 2022, 02:26:08 am »

Why are fluffy wamblers immune to fevers, despite vermin not getting affected by fevers in the first place?

How do i use sigtext properly?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: May 07, 2022, 05:40:04 am »

What is the "shrouded history" mentioned in the prefstring of kobold bulbs?
Is there a matrix/spreadsheet screen planned that has skills in columns with rows being dwarves?  Many city builders based on DF have this type of screen to quickly isolate/find which citizens are the best at things and it would help build initial militaries and finding the best gem setter in the fortress when needed.
Why are fluffy wamblers immune to fevers, despite vermin not getting affected by fevers in the first place?

Lime in all please.

2# closest you have is 3rd party utilities like dwarf therapist that with a bit of tweaking should still work, but i dont recall seeing a chart per-say in the release images. The main thing to follow through on is the general numbers at the top telling you how many are in that mood (which i suppose without arrows now flagging the visibly, maybe the chart would be welcome). DFhack might be able to work with the categories though if smileyfaces are clearly set up with data-flags, as you can make it effectively filtrate on 47.05-r5 latest version to any-such criteria like all male members of your fortress being only shown on the units screen.

#1 & #3, ill be honest i think its one of those things only Toady or Zach can answer in part to "in game worldbuilding lore/logic" :D

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4503 on: May 08, 2022, 11:59:51 am »

Last December you answered you did not know what would happen with the ASCII intro animation going forward. Has its future been cleared out by now? If not, where does figuring it out land on the road map, roughly?

And also, has the title screen been finished?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: May 08, 2022, 10:51:39 pm »

With the map rewrite, will you be taking a stab at improved hydrology? Specifically I'm thinking of tides, oceans that don't freeze solid every night, and perhaps icebergs? Will geysers ever be a feature?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:53:24 am by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: May 09, 2022, 01:50:22 am »

With the map rewrite, will you be taking a stab at improved hydrology? Specifically I'm thinking of tides, oceans that don't freeze solid every night, and perhaps icebergs? Will geysers ever be a feature?

Wanna make your question lime green so Toady knows its directed at him. Oceans that dont freeze solid was definitely one intended feature thats been brought up since literally the inception of the game. Icebergs and geysers Im not sure ive heard about specifically. Tides, who knows, im not sure ive seen a game simulate tidal action before. Waves, sure, we have those now, but the tides rising and falling over the course of the day ive never seen done before
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: May 09, 2022, 11:56:16 am »

Wanna make your question lime green so Toady knows its directed at him. Oceans that dont freeze solid was definitely one intended feature thats been brought up since literally the inception of the game. Icebergs and geysers Im not sure ive heard about specifically. Tides, who knows, im not sure ive seen a game simulate tidal action before. Waves, sure, we have those now, but the tides rising and falling over the course of the day ive never seen done before

Thanks for the reminder to make it lime green! With the possibility of one or more moons being procedurally generated, it would be interesting to see tides being properly generated as a result.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: May 15, 2022, 07:32:30 am »

I have a question, mostly to do with things that would be beneficial for creating mods, not entirely sure how useful they'd be for normal gameplay though.

Are user-definable clothing items something that might be implemented ?
What I mean by this is... I have a modded beastman race, they have horns. I'd like to be able to create clothing (and/or jewellery) that they could wear on their horns. So, being able to define new bits of clothing with a token like[WORN_ON_BODY_PART:HORN], would be ideal for me.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4508 on: May 18, 2022, 03:09:15 am »

Are you more decided on the issue of Adventure/ASCII mode making it in the initial Steam/itch.io release, or is that still up in the air?

For that matter, what about Legends mode? It was also included in point 5 of the roadmap, but as something closer to being finished, with only (?) the maps left to be done. Were those maps among the screens that were done this past month? It would be nice to be able to say ”Fortress and Legends modes, maybe Adventure and ASCII modes” instead of ”Fortress and maybe Legends, Adventure and ASCII modes” when people ask what’s coming in the (initial) Steam release.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: May 18, 2022, 04:35:31 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I've spent the last some days updating tracks and rollers and stops.

Will there be changes to cart/track physics or build possibilities? e.g. Impulse ramps are a bug, but a wonderful one that'd be sad to lose without a replacement. Lots of current cart engineering relies on deep understanding of derailment and checkpoint effects. (Which has both good and bad aspects.) Will anything change mechanically?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:11:40 am by gchristopher »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: May 19, 2022, 07:36:52 pm »

1. Have the tutorials been finalised? Do they cover everything?

Are starting scenarios/goals incoming in the near or long term?

Does the Steam release include a new intro movie?

Will the Steam release include new music? If so, has the music been made yet?

Will the Steam release include any sound (even if it's just menu clicks or something)? If not, will there be plans to include sounds in the future?
But .... It's so small!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:17 am »

1. Have the tutorials been finalised? Do they cover everything?

Are starting scenarios/goals incoming in the near or long term?

Will the Steam release include new music? If so, has the music been made yet?

The tutorials haven't been started yet, there's still a little more to do with the menus.

Starting scenarios are very long term; they come after the myth&magic update.

Yes, the Steam release does have new music, and a decent bit it seems; at first we were told it's one track for every season, plus a "death spiral" track, but more recently Toady said the composer's given him some extra, and that there is more on the way:

Legends, more seasonal stuff, caverns, battles...  and there's more coming, ha ha.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: May 20, 2022, 09:42:20 pm »

I just wanted to post a thank you to you guys for doing regular little update posts on bay12 these past few weeks.  Checking the site is pretty much part of my daily ritual and I'm always excited for a Threetoe or Toady One post.  They make the wait seem a lot less big.  :D

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: May 23, 2022, 09:50:19 am »

Hey, I was told I could ask a specific science question in this thread if all else failed, so...
How is exhaustion from firing a crossbow calculated? I know it uses attributes but what's the exact equation for what gets added to the counter value?
Many thanks for bringing DF into the world and apologies for the minor derailment
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:51:50 am by Tachytaenius »

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: May 26, 2022, 07:05:17 am »

1.Once bows and crossbows will get proper arcs, will modders have the option to keep the current firing lines for things like guns?
2.Will cage traps be nerfed before magic?
3.After the magic update, will there be more generic effects? As an example, could there be a spell that turns you into an animal and lets you pick which one?
4.I remember seeing a generated myth where the goblins were a cursed version of the dwarves. How exactly does that work?
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 389