Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2927258 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4470 on: April 15, 2022, 03:14:02 am »

I would love to have territorial wars, customs, frontier patrols, or fortified frontiers like the roman Limes. I would feel much more alive and real. At least for organised territories (human culture, for instance)

hi, welcome to the forums! if you want toady to read something, you should use lime green text. however, it looks like the suggestions board might be a more apropriate place to post.

Well, i have been here for the last 10 years, so don't welcome me. And here i don't want to speak to toady, i'm just reacting. I have asked or answered many times here before. If i wanted to ask Toady a question, at least i would use a "?" . Thanks for the help anyway but i think you are a bit overreacting here :)

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #4471 on: April 15, 2022, 04:01:54 am »

I would love to have territorial wars, customs, frontier patrols, or fortified frontiers like the roman Limes. I would feel much more alive and real. At least for organised territories (human culture, for instance)

hi, welcome to the forums! if you want toady to read something, you should use lime green text. however, it looks like the suggestions board might be a more apropriate place to post.

Well, i have been here for the last 10 years, so don't welcome me. And here i don't want to speak to toady, i'm just reacting. I have asked or answered many times here before. If i wanted to ask Toady a question, at least i would use a "?" . Thanks for the help anyway but i think you are a bit overreacting here :)

gosh, terribly sorry! i could have sworn i checked your post history before commenting, but i guess not.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 15, 2022, 04:20:45 am »

May 11, 2012, 07:26:10 am
Well, actually, i'm quite close from the 10th anniversary :)
Don't worry, np. We are all here to wait, after all !

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 15, 2022, 06:07:23 pm »

Last year you've made a statement of support to Palestine. It would mean a lot if you condemned russian genocide in Ukraine in similar way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 06:09:12 pm by ror6ax »
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 15, 2022, 06:52:43 pm »

Are there any planned uses for golden salve and liquid fire?

How do i use sigtext properly?

WraithfulWrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: April 17, 2022, 08:03:27 pm »

1. Will there be randomly generated “Chosen One(s)” “Son(s) of God(s)”, "Speakers for God(s)" or “Messiah(s)” in Dwarf Fortress's Myth Update? If so, how will they be fit into the wider Creation Story and can they be tied into play or will they be a strictly Legends-only edition?
2. Slightly riding off of question one -- Will there be various “Prophecies” or “End times” events for the Proc. Generated Myth? If that concept is planned, will some Prophecies and/or End times actually happen during gameplay (meaning you can actually WATCH the world be destroyed or reformed) or will it just be part of the Myth story?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: April 20, 2022, 05:12:48 am »

Are there any planned uses for golden salve and liquid fire?

Questions to Toady kind of need to be like this (as opposed to, well, this) for clarity amongst the mess of queries - so, fixing a common screwup.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:23:30 am by Silverwing235 »

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: April 23, 2022, 03:29:12 pm »

Animal people from in the caverns are listed as possible targets for interrogation. Technically regular animals are too, so this might not be intended behavior. It still got me thinking.
A ) Will there be a chance of a wanderer in the caverns being propositioned to steal something by the local animal people instead of just attacking every time?
B ) Is there any chance that animal people and/or trolls be able to petition release?
C ) What about getting messengers, negotiations, or demands from the elves petitioning for the release of animal people?

I know I've asked about trolls before but you recently talked about being unsure if they could be citizens already so I wondered if you'd changed your mind.

D ) Since changes to sieges and the second villains release are now both coming before The Big Wait will there be more ways of non-lethally incapacitating invaders than just static cages? Or options to leave them unconscious to be dragged off by their retreating army?

E ) If someone's armies get wooped in battle enough do they form a rival attachment to an enemy general? Or is that only for athletic matters? Semi-related do rivals have a bias towards or against kissing one another before/after an athletic competition?

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: April 23, 2022, 10:34:18 pm »

1. Will there be randomly generated “Chosen One(s)” “Son(s) of God(s)”, "Speakers for God(s)" or “Messiah(s)” in Dwarf Fortress's Myth [and Magic] Update?

I certainly doubt the term "messiah" will be used, but this does sound like it could be cool.  I wonder if it would be possible to start adventurer mode games as a "Chosen One".

How do i use sigtext properly?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: April 24, 2022, 09:46:08 am »

Animal people from in the caverns are listed as possible targets for interrogation. Technically regular animals are too, so this might not be intended behavior. It still got me thinking.
A ) Will there be a chance of a wanderer in the caverns being propositioned to steal something by the local animal people instead of just attacking every time?
B ) Is there any chance that animal people and/or trolls be able to petition release?

~C is snipped~

'Indigenous' populations aren't really slated to have anything arrive for them until the law arc after the big wait and world rewrite into sorting things out for them to where they're nuanced civs/societies, im not sure if the underground is actually counted into that besides "deep dwarves" and what they will eventually turn out to be like.

On one hand, they could just be dwarves utilizing the space freed up by re-write which is a perfectly acceptable niche, on the other they could simply be a more intelligent form of dwarf subspecies as Toady discussions allude to, to be the framework of how player input civilizations can exist at that depth and trade/war without being technologically/moviationally (you stole xyz from our site, or we process reasons and plots like topside civs) or culturally bare bones, its really too early to say.

I know I've asked about trolls before but you recently talked about being unsure if they could be citizens already so I wondered if you'd changed your mind.

Im plenty sympathetic to the plight of semi-intelligent creatures like gremlins or troll 'pets', but persistence in asking about this probably won't pay off until they're overhauled likely alongside animalpeople in a later arc, there are  plenty of technical DFhack solutions to try and utilize these creatures but you simply have to have a good grasp of the issues for the moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question of my own: Are expansions to the C screen now you've revamped it in the recent devlog on the table for the future? trying not to skew the question with a suggestion, but practical ones like seeing tunnel connection points between fortresses and any subterrenean FOV your civilization has relevant for travelling.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: April 26, 2022, 12:31:04 pm »

Regarding the early game stress fixes you posted about; How will the game handle a migrant who has family on the other side of the world, so he is immediately depressed due to missing family?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4481 on: April 26, 2022, 01:44:51 pm »

A trade depot in 0.47.05 can hold several caravans simultaneously.  When the player tries to trade, the UI asks which one to trade with.[1]  I don't recall seeing anything about this (admittedly niche) feature in the Premium devlogs and previews.

Can a trade depot in Premium still accept multiple caravans?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: April 26, 2022, 07:05:40 pm »

A trade depot in 0.47.05 can hold several caravans simultaneously.  When the player tries to trade, the UI asks which one to trade with.[1]  I don't recall seeing anything about this (admittedly niche) feature in the Premium devlogs and previews.

Can a trade depot in Premium still accept multiple caravans?
Yes.  Gameplay mechanics are the same between versions, and any instance where they are not is a bug.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4483 on: April 28, 2022, 05:02:38 am »

These new animal people sprites have more variance in their body shapes than I remember from the ones shown earlier, though the two bird-men and insect-men seem to have the same base. Will they have support for showing actual worn clothing/armor where possible (i.e. the body because they all have unique heads and limbs)? Or will the brown tunic be the extent of their graphical wardrobe? Or some in-between where the tunic can be palette-swapped according to profession?

Edit: And apropos of the giant toad/toad man shown, do you have any plans for how to fix that bug of them not appearing in-game? Will the principle of creatures not just "spawning" but having to arrive from off-screen be broken, since ponds never cross the borders of the map?

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: April 30, 2022, 08:35:55 am »

Unless I missed it, we haven't seen any screenshots of the Classic/ASCII version yet. Any chance we can get a preview of what it will look like?
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 391