Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220460 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1110 on: September 20, 2020, 10:42:39 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:30:33 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 30, 2020, 02:18:32 am »

This is a point that I wanted to make a long time ago on this very forum that I didn't think of when the discussion it was tied to was fresh. That's for the first part; the second one is from... "recent events".

My main problem with violence as a method of solving problems is that it tends to generate far too much collateral damage for it to be worth it. If you hit someone with deliberate intent to hurt, you think that they're ever gonna like you again? It's unlikely at best, since you just set the precedent that you will hurt people if you don't get your way. Violence is a tool, but an incredibly dangerous one at that. And for how dangerous it is, I think it's laughably ineffective most of the time. It changes if you're being violent in self-defense, but even then I'd exercise caution to make sure that your level of violence is proportional to the other person's level of violence. Don't shoot someone if they punch you in the face, you get what I mean?

And really, that applies to hurting people in general, especially during arguments. There's a reason I try to be as non-confrontational as possible when I correct people. If you're aggressive while correcting and you're right, that's fine, but if you're aggressive and you're wrong, people will call you out on that, you're gonna be stuck with your tail between your legs, and you may have over-escalated the situation. If you're not being aggressive and you're wrong, you'll still get called out on it, but at least you won't have turned it into a shouting match. Of course, I'm not at all counting being funny-aggressive. That's a whole different story; the difference there is intent, though depending on execution and place, that might get misinterpreted as aggressive-aggressive, so I would suggest taking care.

Then again, I don't have to deal with idiots and fools on a daily basis. Maybe if I worked the jobs some of you work, I'd lose my temper sooner, too. I'm not here to diss anyone, I'm just trying to make a point. I'm basically reading off my Guidebook to Not Being a Dick, and Why You Shouldn't Be a Dick Too (not an actual book, BTW, just one encoded in my brainmeats), and I'm feeling the urge to revise it because I think there may be errors in here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 30, 2020, 06:01:09 am »

Movie idea: a janitor, working the day shift at some high school/college and generally hating his or her existence.   
Then weird things start happening around the campus and they wind up working late, whereupon they meet the night shift janitor which this school apparently for some reason has, who is the absolute antithesis of the main character's dreary life of drudgery and everyday humiliation. This janitor rocks up to work wearing dark glasses, with a biker jacket over their janitorial jumpsuit. Or something, I don't know, point is they're really cool and mysterious and are on the trail of whatever has been causing the strange happenings at the school.   

The night shift janitor has to grudgingly start working together with their ridiculously uncool daytime colleague because, uh... honestly, I had this story idea last night and I'd forgotten it almost entirely until just now, so it's even more barebones than it was to start with. I don't know, but I feel like the two protagonists leaving messages for each other hidden in the everyday messes their job involves cleaning up would be pretty cool. Like, boring stuff like hiding notes under the lid of a bin, or something more artsy like the countless globs of chewing gum stuck to the bottom of a bench actually spelling out a message if one looks at it from below. You get me?   

Anyway, just an idea. Not sure what inspired it exactly.   
I would probably write this in a diary/journal but I don't have one at the moment, so there you go. I'll give you this one for free.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:27 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:30:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 02, 2020, 01:40:00 am »

Idea: a computer nerd who describes computers the same way an art critic describes paintings.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 02, 2020, 07:14:36 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:30:40 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 02, 2020, 07:23:52 am »

You mean somebody aah-ing and ooh-ing over a piece of rubbish instead of a functional computer?
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 06, 2020, 07:48:55 am »

I had access to a Ryzen laptop, and because I'm a nerd who cares deeply about the power consumption of computer components, I tested its power-limiting behavior.  A stock Ryzen 5 4500U (and presumably other U-series 4000-series Ryzens) under full, constant CPU load, assuming no thermal throttling, behaves like this:

1. At the beginning of the load, the CPU is allowed to draw up to 25W. This phase lasts 1 minute and 30 seconds.
2. For 2 minutes and 30 seconds, the CPU will linearly ramp down its power limit from 25W to 15W.
3. After the power limit hits 15W, there is no more change to the limit and the CPU will sustain a power draw of 15W for the rest of the load's duration.

So that R7 4800U that beat those Intels by a landslide in Geekbench 5 probably was operating at a power limit of 25W, since Geekbench, as with most real-world workloads (not to imply Geekbench is a real-world workload, it's still a synthetic benchmark testing performance using a set of real-world loads), produce spikes of load on the CPU, rather than being a constant load. It didn't last very long on the R5 4500U (2 minutes max, I think?), so no sustained power throttling to be seen on that R7, either. To be fair, I'm fairly sure those Intels were also effectively running at a power limit of 25W for the whole benchmark, so it's not really cheating when both sides are cheating by the same amount.

This is different from Intel processors. Those have 2 power limits (in practice; their spec defines 4), PL1 (sustained) and PL2 (peak), as well as a time variable called Tau. For a U-series CPU, PL1 = 25W, PL2 = 15W, and Tau = 28 seconds. Assuming the same load and conditions:

1. At the beginning of the load, it will draw PL2 watts. This continues for Tau seconds.
2. After the Tau time expires, the power limit is abruptly dropped down to PL1. It will sustain this power for as long as the load is running.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 07, 2020, 01:46:37 am »

People who spell the shortened version of "until" with an extra "L" instead of an apostrophe should be buried in a fuckin' desert with their hands and feet cut off.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 07, 2020, 02:01:48 am »

People who spell the shortened version of "until" with an extra "L" instead of an apostrophe should be buried in a fuckin' desert with their hands and feet cut off.   

Where's your sense of poetic justice? They need to be run over repeatedly by a giant tiller:
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 07, 2020, 02:02:22 am »

Buried till they die?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 07, 2020, 02:20:16 am »

Where's your sense of poetic justice? They need to be run over repeatedly by a giant tiller

You, sir, are a god-damned genius.   

Buried till they die?

*ominous spluttery whirring sound approaches*   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Booze is Life for Yoink

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 07, 2020, 02:53:24 am »

He looks like the US version of Doc from Fraggle Rock...

And acts just as campy too...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 07, 2020, 03:48:59 am »

What I spell the unshortened word as "untill" to begin with?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 07, 2020, 03:51:18 am »

Do Until [condition]

[Do stuff in here]

Loop

Untill is what you do when you use one of these.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 181