Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220472 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1185 on: November 06, 2020, 06:20:47 am »

You shouldn't let your little brother play video games until he is at least 24.
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 06, 2020, 06:24:25 am »

You shouldn't let your little brother play video games until he is at least 24 as old as you.

FTFY
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 06, 2020, 06:39:43 am »

Was what I did right? Cheating to lose, to make my young brother feel better and not play something that is boring for me for a long time?

I think you did wrong.  By deceiving your little brother you took away his chance to win in a fair manner.  (Think of the reaction of a boxer who finds out he won because his opponent threw the fight.)

That said, it's hardly a big thing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 06, 2020, 10:20:49 am »

Was what I did right? Cheating to lose, to make my young brother feel better and not play something that is boring for me for a long time?

I think you did wrong.  By deceiving your little brother you took away his chance to win in a fair manner.  (Think of the reaction of a boxer who finds out he won because his opponent threw the fight.)

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't learn. You didn't grow.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 06, 2020, 11:46:26 am »

Why? I've been gaming since I was as old as him.

Yes, but think about me having to sit through something that can take an hour with, no choices involved. With a 50% chance of him losing and being sad.

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't learn. You didn't grow.
Learn what?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 06, 2020, 11:50:46 am »

Scriver is making fun of legislators scaremongering about violence in video games, and Egan is quoting a meme.
:P

Personally I think what you did was nice.  It might be unhealthy to make a habit of it, and I can see a moral argument against it, but also it was kinda funny and clever.  Almost entirely harmless.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 06, 2020, 12:00:09 pm »

Yes, but think about me having to sit through something that can take an hour with, no choices involved. With a 50% chance of him losing and being sad.

Who care about you.  :P (I'm joking.)

So give him two dice (or let him roll twice each turn)? 
Or just learn that sometimes being in a position of care or authority can mean a bit of sacrifice?
Or figure out something else he'll enjoy that you will too?

As I said it's not a big deal, and maybe if your brother found out he'd just give you a big hug, but I suspect the fact that it somewhat troubles you (enough that you ask here) means that you yourself feel like it wasn't quite right.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 07, 2020, 08:01:43 am »

Scriver is making fun of legislators scaremongering about violence in video games,

No I'm not, I'm hyperbolivslly serious

So have I, and *acquiescently gestures to everything*
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 07, 2020, 10:12:51 am »

No video games for children. Throw them in the danger room with the wooden training spears.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 07, 2020, 01:44:59 pm »

What if instead of a danger room we implement dwarven child care in real life, I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 07, 2020, 03:37:27 pm »

I think that's off the mark, for the main reason that the kid's only 8 years old. What chance to win in a fair manner? A fair contest with an 8 year old is just totally destroying them at basically anything. In that scenario, neither side learns anything. You don't actually learn a whole lot playing with someone who just destroys you at the game. Like if the kid wanted to play at boxing, you wouldn't punch them in the face as hard as you can. Games of skill / reasoning are in effect similar, since an 8 year old doesn't have the mental development for that. You basically have to nerf youself the same as you'd pull your punches if play-fighting with a kid.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:45:35 pm by Reelya »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 07, 2020, 04:39:05 pm »

I think that's off the mark, for the main reason that the kid's only 8 years old. What chance to win in a fair manner? A fair contest with an 8 year old is just totally destroying them at basically anything. In that scenario, neither side learns anything. You don't actually learn a whole lot playing with someone who just destroys you at the game. Like if the kid wanted to play at boxing, you wouldn't punch them in the face as hard as you can. Games of skill / reasoning are in effect similar, since an 8 year old doesn't have the mental development for that. You basically have to nerf youself the same as you'd pull your punches if play-fighting with a kid.

Except that it was a game of pure random.  Go back and read before launching an attack next time.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 07, 2020, 05:48:32 pm »

luck is a skill
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 07, 2020, 05:56:47 pm »

them's gambling words

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 09, 2020, 09:41:51 am »

Scriver is making fun of legislators scaremongering about violence in video games,

No I'm not, I'm hyperbolivslly serious

So have I, and *acquiescently gestures to everything*
Well that's bull. I don't care.

My parents took him before I actually could play anything else with him (sorry forgot about, these forums) anyways.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 181