Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218656 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #2430 on: August 18, 2023, 08:36:19 am »

Speaking of language:
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 18, 2023, 10:56:35 am »

Yeah: https://xkcd.com/771/
I like when a setting plays with that, like the Chinese vernacular in Firefly or all the new words in Cyberpunk or Shadowrun.  But adding vocabulary like that puts an onus on the reader to figure it out.  Some fantasy stories go waaaay too far with it.

As for native or First Nations people being called Indians, it certainly confused me when I was young.  Who knows what biases I still have from thinking that way as I developed?

It also seems disrespectful and most of the people directly involved seem to think so too.  Like claiming Romani people are from Egypt, for example.  Better to be accurate, or respectful, or even both! :o
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 18, 2023, 11:15:15 am »

German solved it, one is Inder, the other is Indianer.
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 18, 2023, 12:20:41 pm »

No, Swedes solved it: one is indier, the other indianer
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: August 18, 2023, 12:21:53 pm »

That just sounds like someone from Indiana.

Oh yeah, also, virtually no linguists actually believe the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis anyway. As a group, they're almost pathologically conservative about claims like that. So they're much more likely to agree than to hate me for my one weird trick. :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 12:30:10 pm by Maximum Spin »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 18, 2023, 12:41:00 pm »

More indy than who?
let

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2436 on: August 18, 2023, 01:24:37 pm »

I think people from Indiana would be... "indiananer" in Swedish? So a secret third option. Though really it's not a word I've ever heard someone say; people from the USA tend to be grouped together as "amerikaner" or "jänkare" over here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 18, 2023, 01:27:20 pm »

I think people from Indiana would be... "indiananer" in Swedish? So a secret third option. Though really it's not a word I've ever heard someone say; people from the USA tend to be grouped together as "amerikaner" or "jänkare" over here.
That obviously means a banana from India.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 18, 2023, 01:29:23 pm »

I was just checking... Apparantly people from indiana are called hoosier... like universally (ok that wiki article only exists in english, french, german, dutch, esperanto and russian and I can't read cyrillic). Which... weird but ok then.
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 18, 2023, 01:34:07 pm »

I was just checking... Apparantly people from indiana are called hoosier... like universally (ok that wiki article only exists in english, french, german, dutch, esperanto and russian and I can't read cyrillic). Which... weird but ok then.
Speaking as an American, at least in my part of the country, that's a jokey nickname, not something you'd actually call an Indianan in a formal context.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 18, 2023, 01:44:50 pm »

In Turkish, you just add "-lı/-li" suffix.

İngiltere = England
Ingiltereli = English/British

İndiana = Indiana
İndiana = Ones from Indiana /"Indiana-ian"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 01:46:49 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 18, 2023, 05:28:07 pm »

Oh yeah, also, virtually no linguists actually believe the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis anyway. As a group, they're almost pathologically conservative about claims like that. So they're much more likely to agree than to hate me for my one weird trick. :P
As it was originally stated, sure. In that it was too strong - sort of ascribing nearly mind control-like, dictatorial powers to language. I suspect nobody does take that seriously. But then again, it was just a hypothesis. A fanciful idea without any tangible support. What it did, is spawn a field of research in linguistics studying how language affects (rather than dictates) thought. It's more subtle in its claims, but it's a thing.
I don't know what's happening there now, but some dozen years ago one of the leading/most visible in the media names was Lera Boroditsky. Her talks and popular articles should still be on youtube or elsewhere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 18, 2023, 08:41:16 pm »

calling something by a name doesn't change the thing or how people view it.

You can get people to say they agree with a thing when they think they're agreeing with something else, however. Just changing how you phrase a question in polling can drastically skew results, for example.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 19, 2023, 05:02:14 am »

Indianare? Indianáare?
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 25, 2023, 12:13:07 pm »

I can't stop thinking about this.

English: "Is the principal a principal?"

Turkish translation: "Müdür müdür müdür?"

LMAO
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 180