Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger  (Read 21296 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Dare: The Empire of Schwarzes Holz - Kaiserliche Luftjäger
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:13 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
1 Die towards the Teufel (3): Jilladilla, Thanik, Stabby

Spend 1 die total (1): Jilladilla
Spend dice on revisions (2): Thanik, Stabby

I say general improvements and fixes are always a useful action[size=78%].[/size]
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2019, 06:22:03 pm »

I mean, my 'spend 1 die' vote was meant for this phase only, although I suppose your vote is a bit more literal declaration of intent; albeit one that could potentially be misinterpreted as 'save all dice for revision spam'; just like mine could be misinterpreted as 'spend 1, bank the other 4 for next turn'.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2019, 09:47:45 pm »

Requisition Light Cannons/Autocannons
As we move towards larger aircraft, there comes a point at which more machine guns becomes too many machine guns. Before we hit eight, we should swap over to a smaller number of higher caliber weapons. Heavy cannon is obviously out of the question, but there are some attractive designs on the low end that might fit a larger plane such as a Drachen.
Quote from: Votebox
1Die for Doppleteufel revision, 1 Die towards Teufel progress, advance to normal Revision phase (1): The Ensorceler

Spend 1 die total (1): Jilladilla
Spend dice on revisions (2): Thanik, Stabby
Quote from: Requisition
Light Cannon/Autocannon (1): The Ensorceler

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2019, 04:52:01 am »

Quote from: Design Phase Votebox
1 Die for Doppleteufel revision, 1 Die towards Teufel progress, advance to normal Revision phase (2): The Ensorceler, Thanik
Light Cannon/Autocannon (2): The Ensorceler, Thanik
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2019, 02:34:23 am »

To solidify the requisition vote some more.

Quote from: Design Phase Votebox
1 Die for Doppleteufel revision, 1 Die towards Teufel progress, advance to normal Revision phase (2): The Ensorceler, Thanik
Light Cannon/Autocannon (3): The Ensorceler, Thanik, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2019, 07:18:56 pm »

Design Phase, Late Spring 1915

Roheshmiede-Dehnert "Teufel" (3 die spent, 2 die rushed)

Progress: 28+1+ 29/30. 12 PP spent

Unfortunately, a number of delays prevented the completion of the Teufel, much to the frustration of everyone involved. As it turns out, the complex parts of the Teufel resulted in a lot of paperwork to go through. Technically speaking, the design of the Teufel is complete, just a error in the papers for the bureaucratic process to get the thing out in mass production has unfortunately delayed the projects completion to next year. Needless to say everyone is annoyed at this setback because someone forgot to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Navy Requisition: Light Cannon/Autocannon
The navy has a use for gun that pack enough of a punch to do good damage and fire fast enough to ensure a good hit on small hard to hit targets that both we and the prens use along with most other navies. Torpedo boats. While by no means state of the art, the reliable H-0.5-KG-11 "Trommel", an upgraded version of the H-0.5-KG-05 that shares its affectionate nick name. Its called the Trommel as the sound it makes while firing is similar to that of a drum roll. It has a respectable fire rate of roughly four hundred and thirty shots per minute and as the name implies, it fires shots that are half a kilogram, and as that would imply, its quite large and heavy. In fact, its a quarter the weight of a fully loaded AvDD.I Dehnert Adderbolt. The navy wishes their best regards, and stated they sent this older model for one simple reason. Its the lightest and fastest firing gun they have in use. Not including machine guns a few torpedo boats use.

H-0.5-KG-11 "Trommel": A heavy 200 Kilo gun that fires rounds that weigh half a kilo at a rate of four hundred and thirty a minute. Apparently the lightest thing the navy has outside of machine guns.

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 4 die remaining to spend on Revisions or Save for the next turn.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:39:59 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2019, 12:32:38 pm »

H-0.5-KG-11a1 "Eisenklaue"
A variant of the Trommel stripped of everything not need to fire leaving the barrel and mechanisms and a shell that allows mounting outside and inside a aircraft.

Anyone else have any ideas or plans?
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »

What's good for the goose could be good for the gander. We might be able to save weight on the cannons by twinning them over and under (for a wing design) or side to side (for a body mount), with some shared parts between them.

Investing in better internal stuctures for our planes might be important soon. Here:

Wellsegment System
A new manufacturing method which uses folded lengths of corrugated steel fixed together makes sturdier aircraft frames easy to repair, as most replacement parts can be manufactured on the spot with a set of standardized cutters and benders and a supply of corrugated steel. Planes built from Wellsegments are a step further from the canvas, wood, and wire designs of the past, and a step towards a metallic future.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2019, 06:42:12 pm »

Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit
As the war is never won and the Teufel has been bogged down in development, the Luftjäger has been left in need of a lethality boost for their aerial fleet to keep up the Adderscourge, given an anticipated enemy answer in the form of a better fighter - most likely better armed, but unlikely as fast or maneuverable as the SBD.II Adderbolt.

To accommodate this newfound strategic hole, two camps formed in the Luftjäger - those who saw the future in larger caliber automatic cannons which could be potent anti-bomber weapons and provide aerial support without the need for bombs, and those who sought out something in between rifle caliber machine guns and these larger cannons to retain the large ammunition loads and make the adoption with the SBD.II as painless as possible, citing the lack of durability in enemy airframes and the potency of heavy machine gun cartridges as reasons enough. Namely, by simply refurbishing the currently serving GL-12 machine guns, it would be possible to obtain a fast firing, light and proven armament that could most likely be integrated in the SBD.II Adderbolt at minimal additional costs.

The Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone GL-135 is thus their entry for a redesign to the GL-12. The gun itself is not very large (1.8 x 0.3 x 0.3 m; 1.2 m barrel), keeps the same action and general capabilities of the GL-12 (1000 RPM, low weight) and is chambered for a custom built 13.5x118mm Feuermund HMG cartridge, with detailed specifications listed in a separate entry. Suffice to say, the cartridge is made to possess a high exit velocity and kinetic energy (1055 m/s, 30000 J), as well as with the aim of good ballistic performance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To summarize - we take the gun we have and know works and just fit it to fire a different cartridge. This really shouldn't be at all difficult, and I could see it costing 1 PP to refit all 4 guns on the SBD.II with these.

Grundsätzlich Besichtigungsausrüstung Fünf-Objektiv-Kamera (FOK GrB-15)
This represents the Luftjäger's first real development in terms of observation gear and comes in the form of a five-lens camera with one central lens, two sitting at 45° angles to it to the left and right, and two offset by 45° to the fore and aft - allowing aircrews to capture a large area around the aircraft and represent the situation in a wide arc under it to commanders. The image from the five lenses is combined before ariving into the observer's binocular sight so as to show the observer the whole picture before the picture is taken. Alongside the camera, the observation package carries with it a notepad and pen, as well as an additional altitude gauge so as to allow the observer to gauge the scale of the images being taken and write them onto the notepad, to be given to commanders alongside the shots.

ZhS-16A "Doppelteufel" (40.36 L D75/30)
As development of the ZhS-8A had come to a close, the Luftjäger and more specifically the Roheshmiede-Dehnert company had obtained the most powerful reliable engine in the world - but there was yet more to be achieved. Funds were assigned to pursue a two-row radial engine based on the Teufel which was slated to achieve between 1260 and 1360 horsepower, using the engine's thermal characteristics to its advantage so as to achieve a higher specific power. Cooling of the rear bank is made easier by both the higher thermal efficiency of the engine and the added water cooling system in place around the original Teufel, which may take over in case heat buildup in the rear occurs during high stress operation.

ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Given the added time before the Tuefel is allowed to enter production, a team is assigned to increase its performance before it enters the factories so that benefits can be felt in other projects that are to use it - namely the SBD.II production variant and the Drachen. The goal is to achieve a power output of around 700-730 hp by optimizing the injection system and performing tweaks to systems that were being held back on during original production, as more experience has been gained during its development.

Sicherheitsnetz Fallschirm Modell Ende des 1915
The common Fallschirm is improved upon by making it a portable package capable of being fitted to a pilot in the form of a backpack with an additional chute for emergencies. Hopes are high that this would incur non-existant costs when converting existing fallschirms.

Noble Nafuni Engineer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2019, 04:34:21 pm »

I know we're all bummed about that 1 raining on our parade, but it's been long enough, time to vote.

Quote from: Revisionbox
Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit: (1) Jilladilla
ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Sicherheitsnetz Fallschirm Modell Ende des 1915: (1) Jilladilla
Wellsegment System
FEiV-12M Revamp Project: (1) Jilladilla
Luftunterstützungspaket
Rohesde ZBg.I A1/15 Repairs: (1) Jilladilla

Save any dice?

Glory to United Forenia!

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2019, 05:15:17 pm »

Quote from: Revision box
Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit (2): Jilladilla, Thanik
ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Sicherheitsnetz Fallschirm Modell Ende des 1915 (2): Jilladilla, Thanik
Wellsegment System
FEiV-12M Revamp Project (2): Jilladilla, Thanik
Luftunterstützungspaket (1): Thanik
Rohesde ZBg.I A1/15 Repairs (1): Jilladilla

Save any dice?

I reason that the bomb revision will have more of an effect this turn, if it goes well, and the Drachen is not near enough completion for us to throw away something like fixing our bombs so as to remedy its landing gear. Had the Teufel gone well, I would've taken this route, but we need to maximize our effect this turn to keep up the killer performance and improve upon it to demoralize the Prens.

Given we'd freed up 7 PP for our budget, we're looking at a 15 PP budget after maintenance for whatever we want to put on these things. Assuming 1 PP per plane for the upgrades, we'll only be able to service the whole fleet for two packages, plus an additional upgrade for a single plane. That means we can improve everyone's parachute and upgrade a radio on a plane we want to use for support - prolly the naval one - and have all our guns upgraded to the 13.5mm machine gun, should that get voted in.

This is all based on the assumption the upgrades cost 1 PP across the board. We'll see how this turns out in reality.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2019, 04:49:21 pm »

Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit (3): Jilladilla, Thanik, Stabby
ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Sicherheitsnetz Fallschirm Modell Ende des 1915 (3): Jilladilla, Thanik, Stabby
Wellsegment System
(1): Stabby
FEiV-12M Revamp Project (3): Jilladilla, Thanik, Stabby

Save any dice?

I would vote for the Wellsegment System but that feels like it should be a full design with how much of a jump it'll be. I also want the autocannon for ship hunting since that would make it worth while even if from the navy helping us get more resources.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:51:22 pm by stabbymcstabstab »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2019, 10:43:15 pm »

Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit (3): Jilladilla, Thanik, Stabby
ZhS-16A "Doppelteufel" (40.36 L D75/30) (1): The Ensorceler
ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Wellsegment System

Save any dice?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2019, 01:06:32 am »

While I have a pretty decent idea of how this is going to end; it is still a bit too early for an autocannon (although granted their is no harm in starting development of one early...).

ZhS-16A "Doppelteufel" (40.36 L D75/30) (1): The Ensorceler
ZhS-8B "Teufel"
Wellsegment System
Luftunterstützungspaket (2): Thanik, Jilladilla
Rohesde ZBg.I A1/15 Repairs (0):

Save any dice?

Glory to United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2019, 01:45:20 pm »

Revision Phase, Late Spring 1915
Fn.L GL-135 (13.5 mm Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone) Refit
As the war is never won and the Teufel has been bogged down in development, the Luftjäger has been left in need of a lethality boost for their aerial fleet to keep up the Adderscourge, given an anticipated enemy answer in the form of a better fighter - most likely better armed, but unlikely as fast or maneuverable as the SBD.II Adderbolt.

To accommodate this newfound strategic hole, two camps formed in the Luftjäger - those who saw the future in larger caliber automatic cannons which could be potent anti-bomber weapons and provide aerial support without the need for bombs, and those who sought out something in between rifle caliber machine guns and these larger cannons to retain the large ammunition loads and make the adoption with the SBD.II as painless as possible, citing the lack of durability in enemy airframes and the potency of heavy machine gun cartridges as reasons enough. Namely, by simply refurbishing the currently serving GL-12 machine guns, it would be possible to obtain a fast firing, light and proven armament that could most likely be integrated in the SBD.II Adderbolt at minimal additional costs.

The Feuermund-Luftblitzkanone GL-135 is thus their entry for a redesign to the GL-12. The gun itself is not very large (1.8 x 0.3 x 0.3 m; 1.2 m barrel), keeps the same action and general capabilities of the GL-12 (1000 RPM, low weight) and is chambered for a custom built 13.5x118mm Feuermund HMG cartridge, with detailed specifications listed in a separate entry. Suffice to say, the cartridge is made to possess a high exit velocity and kinetic energy (1055 m/s, 30000 J), as well as with the aim of good ballistic performance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Efficacy: 1

Unfortunately, work on the Fn.L GL-135 goes at a snails pace and is plagued with issues. In fact, the reason it takes so long is because all the time spent is practically on making the prototypes reliable for more than just a single shot and annoyingly it seems with every fix, there is yet another issue that pops up. Its even more annoying when some of these issues are directly related to the fixes made to other issues. Still, while there is still much work to be done before the gun is ready to actually be properly used, many critical issues were fixed.

Sicherheitsnetz Fallschirm Modell Ende des 1915
The common Fallschirm is improved upon by making it a portable package capable of being fitted to a pilot in the form of a backpack with an additional chute for emergencies. Hopes are high that this would incur non-existant costs when converting existing fallschirms.

Efficacy: 5

Work on the upgraded Fallschirm goes ahead with quick and efficient work. Fitting an extra small chute for emergencies was quite easy, the real problem that the engineers had to tackle was doing this while also making it more portable, though they were able to make it slightly smaller despite the additional emergency chute. They also were able to fix the issue of the old Fallschirm occasionally causing a broken bone and all of this was done while allowing us to not need to pay much to retrofit the old chutes, so all in all they did a good job.

FEiV-12M Revamp Project
Given the enemy has also obtained aerial telegraphy for their aircraft, the Luftjäger must upgrade its fleet to ensure an advantage in long range scouting; allowing aircraft to move further away from the main fleet when scouting, or otherwise from the frontlines of a battlefield - deeper into enemy territory. The goal of the project is to make the FEiV-15M lighter and longer ranged; while attempting to keep it a relatively cheap upgrade to the FEiV-12M already installed on SBD.II Adderbolt airframes.

Efficacy: 4

Work to improve the FEiV-12M, referred to as the FEiV-15M, goes decently. Its made a bit lighter, about 17 and a half Kilograms and its range increased to 16 Kilometers. Additionally, its frequency range has increased to 300 to 500 kHz. The only unfortuneate thing about the project is that its a bit pricey to upgrade the FEiV-12M to a FEiV-15M, in fact, it costs 1PP worth for each squadron worth of FEiV-12M's. On the bright side though, producing the things costs the same as the older radio.

Luftunterstützungspaket
The goal of this revision is to work off the M-11-50 bomb to be more accurate and to make 50, 100 and 250 kg warheads available to the airforce. The bomb clamps that come with the base variant are improved to increase reliability and reduce release time, while the rudimentary bomb sights available to the pilots are refined.

Efficacy: 2

The work on the Luftunterstützungspaket is slow, still, the group of new engineers prove much more competent, and were still able to show off some results, mostly with making a 100KG warhead and making both the bombs more accurate. They didn't get much work done on the bomb clamps and bombing sights though, however they actually got some things done which considering the previous people in charge of the project is a major increase in the projects actual output. All M-11-50's supplied to the air force now should be more accurate, and the old ones can be given the minor additions for accuracy's sake easily enough...

It is now the Production & Deployment Phase. You have 23 Production Points remaining.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15