Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Alchamech: "Freeform Experement" OOC  (Read 3682 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Alchamech: "Freeform Experement" OOC
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:17:52 am »

The Great Desert on the Southern Continent isn't something you would expect massive armies to shed blood over. Its trade route's offerings are meager compared to the money being thrown at its conquest. Yet the two largest nations on this world are throwing everything they have into taking it. While the sand means little to them, hiding within is the Living City. Once it was an unmatched alchemical marvel. While not the largest alchamech born from the human imagination, it was among the most advanced. It was a loyal servant to its entire population, rivaling smaller nations. It cooked their food three times a day. It farmed the food it would later cook. If there was too much sun, it would put up shade. If it hadn't rained in too long, it would pour water from the sky. It maintained beautiful parks and gardens, legendary in their spender. Every want or need was met instantly and without hassle. Yet it these soldiers are not seeking it out for peaceful purposes. Deep inside its belly was what is perhaps the greatest alchemical treasure trove in the world: the library that the city maintained. It is thought to contain lost arts from all the greatest geniuses in history. If it is still intact, then the Living City would be out-shown by the wonders within. Whoever captures and processes these books could claim near instant victory. The lost Mountain-sized Alchamechs, rifles that can place bullets directly into their targets even from across the world, Purified that can be mass-produced while retaining unmatched combat power, perhaps even the legendary philosopher's stone.

But there are three problems with this. To start with, the Living City got its name because it was always in motion. Six legs moved its mass across the planet, over the oceans, through the jungles, through the desert. It was said that this left it independent. No land could claim ownership of the city, save itself. It was lost a centuries ago, and has only recently been tracked to this desert. Second, the enemy has heard about it and is after the same thing. They will kill you for it if they get the chance. They would kill you even if it didn't benefit their search. Discovering the city would be difficult without bullets flinging your way. Third, this might be a big lie. Or a bunch of big lies. Many modern scholar's view the "Lost Arts" as exaggerated fiction, the city included. While many alchemical miracles exist into the modern day, they are often regarded as a mystery and rarely retain the full power they where said to possess. Even if the city was real, and the library was real, and its contents where as powerful as promised, there is no telling if the library is actually intact.

Still, that doesn't seem to bother the generals...or perhaps there is a different reason you are slugging it out in this litterbox?

"Where is the ground you must know here
And the well that is so clear
And what is the dragon with the tail
Or else the work shall little avail"

Ripply Scrolls, 15th century alchemical text.

Alchemist, some of the worlds first scientists. It is said that in our world, they invented many useful things, from gunpowder and hermetic sealing to Calculus. In this world, they did much, much more.

After discovering Aristotle's folly of the four elements, Alchemy was truly able to shine. Once true hermetic principles and the element of the periodic table was discovered, a kind of Alchemical renaissance took root across the world. Even by the middle ages, fields where fed with the equivalent of Green Revelation technology, aided by the symbols and sigils the plants grew into, increasing the amount of food available by stunning amounts  The New World was discovered by Alchemy-powered ships, leading to a global society swiftly forming with the assistance of Alchemy. Many of the wonders we have in the modern world where invented in the span of years, alchemy computers with powerful symbols as keys, cars, medicine, advanced robotics... the list goes on and on.

Of course, none of this stopped humanity from fighting. While the massive industrial power created large cities with unbelievably tall buildings, the roads between the cities hadn't been able to develop nearly as quickly. Especially to enemy cities. Rather than develop wheels or treads, the Alchemists of the world looked toward Nature for inspiration. The war machines of the world where designed off of the animals who live on its surface-including Humans themselves. Powered and protected by modern alchemy, the Alchemecs often dominate the battle field, with only other Alchemecs or highly skilled and specialized infantry standing in their way.

The march of advancement went on for years, with no sign of stagnation. The nations that exist now are much different than the ones in our world, as one could imagine. You where born well after the "Alchemical Renaissance", living in a strange world almost mirror to our own, where alchemy is the true king. The nation you live in, Hermes Trismegistus, has been at war with neighboring Ostanes for years, in a fight that may very well shape the earth.

Alchamech is something of my favored vat-born designer baby. Its a setting I made years ago, tried to get it off the ground a couple of times, and failed miserably at each point. But at each point people have gotten interested, and at each point I have seem some interesting and imaginative characters get made, so I press on! In my way-too-many years in RPG gaming, I have seen many great games die. Some slowly and painfully, others quick and mercifully. I have also seen many succeed, at least until their inevitable deaths. So I'm trying this "Freeform Experiment"! One of the leading cause of death for forum games is player and GM attrition, especially in turn based games where stalling can lead to death. Active players and active GMs lead to a long game life, especially if the game can go on without certain players input (preferably without leaving the less active players behind).

So I'm here attempted one of my first guided-"freeform" forum games! For those of you unfamiliar with the play-style, basically you post what you want to do and the GM/other players respond. No waiting in line, no/very limited dice rolling, essentially a pure storytelling game. It has been a while since I played this style, and it has its own risks, making this an EXPERIMENT~! The "guided" part comes from your character sheet. While you can do anything, you arn't a god. What you can actually accomplish is based on who you are. An Officer can order his to fire, or shoot down a mook or two with his own pistol without problems. If he is up against a stronger NPC such as an imposing Mech, he could order his men to fire at it to observe the results. He couldn't immediately decide that the mech exploded into a thousand pieces, or jump up and pull the pilot out of the cockpit and instakill him, that'd be powergaming (unless the opponent was a less-opposing mookmech, in which case go-ahead :P). Be cool, but don't overdo it! And go easy on me, its been forever since I tried freeform.

To make your character, you choose one of four classes:

Alchamech Pilot: The pilots of the titular "Alchemechs", as one could likely guess from the name. Normal humans who drive magical war machines. They often possess good reflexes and aim, or at least those who don't don't tend to live long. The machines are created one at a time without the aid of mass-production, helping leading to an amazing variety of size, shape, and function. They can range from a suit of armor that the pilot can scarcely fit in to massive titans that look like walking battleships. Alchemech pilots typically undergo a short training period, spending several months learning what symbols do what and how to use the machines effectively. They often bond with a single machine their entire carrier, if not lives, performing routine upgrades as technology advances. This is standard practice due to the habit of machines forming "Homunculus", AI-like intelligence, when a single pilot integrates with them.

Alchemist: A combination of chemist and magician, the lifeblood of the world. After studying for years in a college, you have learned how the world works and are able to change it with simple drawings and orders. As a military alchemist, you serve a role somewhere between combat engineer and ground-infantry, using your knowledge to help build defense, repair equipment, and destroy the enemy. Some alchemist choose one focus, such as destroying things, and generally choose to focus even more on that, such as "Destroying things with fire", often finding themselves in specialized roles. Unless an alchemist is particularly focused on transmutation, they won't be opening chasms under enemy formations. The average alchemist can make a small trench to hide behind at a moments notice, but would need at least minutes to make fortifications capable of holding a location. To make up for this offensive weakness, they are issued Caster guns. Caster guns are mass produced like normal guns, often taking the form of revolvers or large-caliber single-shot weapons. What makes them unique is their ammunition, hand made by the alchemist it is issued too. These tend to be potent alchemical concoctions, fitted to the alchemist's unique fighting style. This ranges from vials of acid capable of eating through an alchamech's armor, to a payloads of poisonous gas deadly against infantry, to explosive shells.

Officer: A normal human, who doesn't pilot a mech or throw magic around. Instead, you used your time to advance through the ranks, either through an ROTC-like program, through field experience, or by simply paying your way up the ladder. This gives you something just as powerful: Authority. Officers command a small group of loyal infantry troops from the start, and have sway over the overall military strategy, while being capable of directing the fire of Alchemecs and alchemists. It is typical for someone, on obtaining the rank of officer, be given a Alreona type Homunculus using their own DNA as a base. Alreona Homunculus are flask-born "sons" or "daughters" of the officer, bonded like a machine. They are the Officer's most loyal soldier, fanatically so. They act just as humans do, and have a diverse appearance ranging from young children to grey-haired elderly folk older in appearance than the ones they are protecting. These Alreona give the Officer a fighting chance in "one-on-one" fights and protect them from everything that wants them dead.

Purified: It is often said the goal of Alchemy was to purify the body and soul. You got the body part down. The Purified are alchemically augment super soldiers. This can take many forms. Some have special tattoos or symbols that glow when activated, filling them with strength or energy. Others where horribly injured, having to replace their own flesh with specially made flask-flesh or Alchamechanical parts. Others where simply "born" this way, like Alreona type homunculus or even a achemicanicle butler with a particularly impressive hurmonculus of its own. They are typically sent to combat alone with their weapon of choice and plenty of ammunition, and are often able to take even an Alchmech in single combat. Some particularly strong Purified can bisect an Alchemech with a single blow of a sword or axe, others simply pump high-caliber lead into the cockpit at point-blank range.

With this freeform experiment, the character sheets have been transformed into a line of questions to help build your particular character. Many of the questions are abstract to give you an idea of what fits into each category if the question doesn't seem relevant just skip it and write down what is relevant. As in past games, each class has its own sheet:

Spoiler: Alchemech Pilot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alchemist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Officer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Purified (click to show/hide)

Our discord.
Our IC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:50:52 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Alchamech: "Freeform Experement" OOC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 11:18:32 am »

This post is reserved on orders of the HTM military.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »

Ptw, potentially make a character later.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »

Reserving to make a pilot. I've got an idea that I like :)

Spoiler: Octavian and Sigma (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:40:06 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:38 pm »

Spoiler: Alchemech Charger (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:27:45 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:09:14 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:43:14 pm »

I'm gonna work on a sheet for this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:30:55 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:55:11 pm by Ragnar the Råsh of Emal »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »

I am going to make a sheet, for an officer who leads a merc/rebel group. And I was wondering if anyone else would like to team up to make a small faction?
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:02:16 pm »

Lot of interest, always good to see ^_^.

Glass set up a discord page for anyone interested in that. It shouldn't be necessary to play, if you don't feel like using it.

It looks like some of you are still hammering out your sheets. I'll take a deeper look at them with any commentary tomorrow evening.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »

Just looking at current sheets, I'd say it would be a good plan to have Kirstaan or Blitz doing a frontal assault while Theodore and Octal sneak in/around to take out priority targets or steal intel and the like.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 09:12:06 pm »

Alright, here we go~.

Notes time!

Generally, hijacking enemy Alchamech is super duper risky, as even rudimentary homunculus tend to be loyal to their pilot and will make your ride as miserable as possible. If they can't kill or buck you immediately, the smarter ones can hide and wait for their moment to strike. Alchamechs that are confirmed to not have developed homunculus are safe, so if you get any fresh-off-the-lot you could hijack away. Theoretically a specially-focused character could reliably bypass this annoying detail with special abilities or equipment.

Merge may or may not count as one such ability.

Would you expect the SEP field to work on non-visual information, such as if an Alchamech was scanning the area with radar?

That is a lot of equipment for what is described as a small suit. Do you just have all that equipment tied to your back with the spare rope? Do you keep the weapons on your person when in the suit, or have them in pockets on your alcamech or something? Are your weapons tied to your armor or are they removable? Not really a mechanical question, just trying to visualize your guy walking around with all this stuff :p

What does your Alchamech's voice sound like?

Homonculus generally develop naturally over a pilot's career, due to poorly understood interactions between the pilot and a machine. As such pilots changing Alchamech is generally rare, especially if one was already developed to the point of human-like intelligence as in the case of Sigma. It isn't impossible that they would switch out the pilot, but it would likely have to be something fairly extreme for them to consider it-especially multiple times. It would be less strange for them to hand it to you after the previous pilot died or was retired, especially given that your ability only really works in Alchamech that already have AI.

Looks good, I like all the detail.

Spoiler: Alchemech Charger (click to show/hide)

So he is 25, but has been a soldier long enough to complain about it like an old man? Was he a child soldier or am I reading too much into that?

Do you expect to use the ADS as a weapon against smaller targets? If it *only* hits missiles and incoming projectiles, it would likely count as part of your Armor system rather than as a weapon in its own right (despite technically shooting things).

How smart is JARVIS? I've seen a couple Marvel movies but can't really get a good picture of it >_>

Otherwise looks good. Still loving the detail.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

A bit less detailed, still with a solid concept.

Since he seems pretty reliant on Caster Shells, how many of each type does he carry around in a typical day?

I'm gonna work on a sheet for this.

Needs to get finished :P. Your "sword" and "railgun" attack should be detailed under the weapon section, with any defensive abilities under "armor". I'll have to look at it more when it is more complete.

You look like a featurless black figure? Are you an African man who had his face alchemically removed? Do you wear a tight ninja mask at all times? Are you a character we havn't unlocked yet?

With a sword that big, you would probably be able to use it as a shield more than a bullet bat :V. Due to its size and focus on Alchamech warfare, it is almost certainly a Heavy weapon (in more ways than one).

Is the laser an ability of the Sword, or Kirtaan himself? Is there any markings or weapon additions that allow this feature?

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 09:53:37 pm »

You look like a featurless black figure? Are you an African man who had his face alchemically removed? Do you wear a tight ninja mask at all times? Are you a character we havn't unlocked yet?

With a sword that big, you would probably be able to use it as a shield more than a bullet bat :V. Due to its size and focus on Alchamech warfare, it is almost certainly a Heavy weapon (in more ways than one).

Is the laser an ability of the Sword, or Kirtaan himself? Is there any markings or weapon additions that allow this feature?

I figured featureless as nothing that would be too different from a normal human.

Other then the massive sword he totes around.

Good to know I'll be mostly a titan-slayer Anti Alchemech Infantry.

The laser is mostly just impromptu alchemy by Kirstaan, but charging runes help too.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 09:36:23 am »

Notes time!

Generally, hijacking enemy Alchamech is super duper risky, as even rudimentary homunculus tend to be loyal to their pilot and will make your ride as miserable as possible. If they can't kill or buck you immediately, the smarter ones can hide and wait for their moment to strike. Alchamechs that are confirmed to not have developed homunculus are safe, so if you get any fresh-off-the-lot you could hijack away. Theoretically a specially-focused character could reliably bypass this annoying detail with special abilities or equipment.

Merge may or may not count as one such ability.

Would you expect the SEP field to work on non-visual information, such as if an Alchamech was scanning the area with radar?

That is a lot of equipment for what is described as a small suit. Do you just have all that equipment tied to your back with the spare rope? Do you keep the weapons on your person when in the suit, or have them in pockets on your alcamech or something? Are your weapons tied to your armor or are they removable? Not really a mechanical question, just trying to visualize your guy walking around with all this stuff :p

What does your Alchamech's voice sound like?

Homonculus generally develop naturally over a pilot's career, due to poorly understood interactions between the pilot and a machine. As such pilots changing Alchamech is generally rare, especially if one was already developed to the point of human-like intelligence as in the case of Sigma. It isn't impossible that they would switch out the pilot, but it would likely have to be something fairly extreme for them to consider it-especially multiple times. It would be less strange for them to hand it to you after the previous pilot died or was retired, especially given that your ability only really works in Alchamech that already have AI.

Looks good, I like all the detail.

First off, on phone, so I may be doing this piecemeal and not necessarily all at once. I have an hour right now and then I'll have other things that need doing, and there may be things before that.

Regarding hijacking: I'd kinda put it in on the idea that Merging would get around that. That said, I hadn't actually been clear on how Homonculi happened; I'd been thinking that they would (or wouldn't) be made when the Alchamech was, and that the builders just didn't know how that all worked. If we could discuss this over Discord at some point (as given above, I don't have much time right now), that would be great. At the very least, Merging would probably help.

I'm not quite sure what SEP stands for, but given the context, I'm assuming stealth stuff. The don't-notice-me runes don't really care what senses you're using to pick up on it. They likely wouldn't get around specific magic-sensors though; it would be pretty bright in a small area (though if there's a bunch of other Alchamechs or Purified around, it may still get overlooked). The chameleon thing is specifically for physical senses.
Quite frankly, the only two situations where I'm likely to encounter another alchamech are if I'm infiltrating a location where they're stored or built, or if I land face-first in a lot of horrible luck.

The plainclothes are worn, the rope is worn like a belt, the grappling hook is on the end of the rope and is the kind that folds out of a cylinder, the knives and pistol all are held on the belt, and we can ignore the native clothes. I don't know what the standard-issue stuff actually is; we can discuss it, and I'll try to figure out the bare minimum I need and how/wear to store it. Some of it may be held externally on Sigma.

Sigma sounds mostly androgynous, leaning female. I'm thinking that it may be (approximately) how their original pilot sounded.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 01:47:40 pm »

First off, on phone, so I may be doing this piecemeal and not necessarily all at once. I have an hour right now and then I'll have other things that need doing, and there may be things before that.

Regarding hijacking: I'd kinda put it in on the idea that Merging would get around that. That said, I hadn't actually been clear on how Homonculi happened; I'd been thinking that they would (or wouldn't) be made when the Alchamech was, and that the builders just didn't know how that all worked. If we could discuss this over Discord at some point (as given above, I don't have much time right now), that would be great. At the very least, Merging would probably help.

I'm not quite sure what SEP stands for, but given the context, I'm assuming stealth stuff. The don't-notice-me runes don't really care what senses you're using to pick up on it. They likely wouldn't get around specific magic-sensors though; it would be pretty bright in a small area (though if there's a bunch of other Alchamechs or Purified around, it may still get overlooked). The chameleon thing is specifically for physical senses.
Quite frankly, the only two situations where I'm likely to encounter another alchamech are if I'm infiltrating a location where they're stored or built, or if I land face-first in a lot of horrible luck.

The plainclothes are worn, the rope is worn like a belt, the grappling hook is on the end of the rope and is the kind that folds out of a cylinder, the knives and pistol all are held on the belt, and we can ignore the native clothes. I don't know what the standard-issue stuff actually is; we can discuss it, and I'll try to figure out the bare minimum I need and how/wear to store it. Some of it may be held externally on Sigma.

Sigma sounds mostly androgynous, leaning female. I'm thinking that it may be (approximately) how their original pilot sounded.

With how Mind Meld is described now, its effectiveness in hijacking would depend on the strength of the target homonculus, and thus may or may not work too well depending on the target.

Someone Else's Problem. Its a HHGTTG reference. It causes anyone who sees the object inside the SEP field and think it is someone else's problem, thus ignoring it. Basically a don't-notice-me-senpai field :P. As you have stated one of your main fighting strategies is to hijack enemy alchemech and given their proliferation in the enemy army, having only two situations where you are bound to run into them is a little optimistic.

Standard issue is just a PDW and armor. Where does your guy keep the two massive range weapons that his mech has?

Pages: [1] 2 3