Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 127730 times)

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.68
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2020, 08:26:32 pm »

Like there are bows and arrows. but you can't use steel to make shivs. like if you are intent on them never considering using mundane materials, then you should really remove the ability to make bows and arrows out of them too :/

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:14 pm »

Like there are bows and arrows. but you can't use steel to make shivs. like if you are intent on them never considering using mundane materials, then you should really remove the ability to make bows and arrows out of them too :/

I'm unable to prevent being able to make bows and arrows out of wood. I would do so if I could, but being able to make non-metal ranged weapons at a bowyer's shop is hardcoded, and I'm ultimately forced to work within the limitations of the game itself (as far as I am aware, I may be wrong and will be looking into it presently, but no promises). My apologies for the confusion.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2020, 08:32:08 pm »

I'm unable to prevent being able to make bows and arrows out of wood. I would do so if I could, but being able to make non-metal ranged weapons at a bowyer's shop is hardcoded, and I'm ultimately forced to work within the limitations of the game itself (as far as I am aware, I may be wrong and will be looking into it presently, but no promises). My apologies for the confusion.
read my other post too

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2020, 08:43:08 pm »

read my other post too

Ah, I missed that one. Regardless, all the weapons and armor that is currently being out of things besides nanotechne simply shouldn't be. Nanotechne itself is common enough, as are handheld furnaces and 3D printers, that even peasants can make use of it. It's not rare or hard to work with or anything like that, and is ubiquitous across the planet. I was originally keeping conventional metals around to function as rare jewelry or relics of the past, but if I am going to do anything about it it would be deleting all normal metals from the game wholesale instead.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2020, 08:48:44 pm »

read my other post too

Ah, I missed that one. Regardless, all the weapons and armor that is currently being out of things besides nanotechne simply shouldn't be. Nanotechne itself is common enough, as are handheld furnaces and 3D printers, that even peasants can make use of it. It's not rare or hard to work with or anything like that, and is ubiquitous across the planet. I was originally keeping conventional metals around to function as rare jewelry or relics of the past, but if I am going to do anything about it it would be deleting all normal metals from the game wholesale instead.

If im not mistaken, an earlier discussion in this thread about the 3d printer and synthesizer stuff established that they do nothing in fortress mode. As such, no, my Corvids don't have access to anything but fucking steel.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2020, 08:56:39 pm »

read my other post too

If im not mistaken, an earlier discussion in this thread about the 3d printer and synthesizer stuff established that they do nothing in fortress mode. As such, no, my Corvids don't have access to anything but fucking steel.

You should still be able to synthesize nanotechne by harvesting it from corroded metal, and convert that into a military grade type of nanotechne. If you can't, then I'll have some workaround for the next update to make it easier. If you want to modify things to your personal taste so that steel can be used for weapons, then you're welcome to do so. If you don't know how, then go to Dwarf Fortress- The Long Night\data\save\region1\raw\objects\inorganic_metal.txt and add [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] to the metals of your choice. I can't guarantee it would work, but it ought to. Some things behave nicely when modified in a saved game and others just refuse to work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:59:32 pm by squamous »

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »

read my other post too

You should still be able to synthesize nanotechne by harvesting it from corroded metal, and convert that into a military grade type of nanotechne. If you can't, then I'll have some workaround for the next update to make it easier. If you want to modify things to your personal taste so that steel can be used for weapons, then you're welcome to do so. If you don't know how, then go to Dwarf Fortress- The Long Night\data\save\region1\raw\objects\inorganic_metal.txt and add [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] to the metals of your choice. I can't guarantee it would work, but it ought to. Some things behave nicely when modified in a saved game and others just refuse to work.

how do i get nanotechne from corroded metal? I've been smelting alot of it for a few years (the whole reason i have steel), but i tried to go to the smelter and look at the craft C-grade but it says i have none. so how am i supposed to get nanotechne from corroded metal?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:06 pm »

read my other post too

how do i get nanotechne from corroded metal? I've been smelting alot of it for a few years (the whole reason i have steel), but i tried to go to the smelter and look at the craft C-grade but it says i have none. so how am i supposed to get nanotechne from corroded metal?

Ah, I think I see what might be happening. The reaction is a bit complex, but I didn't think it'd cause this much trouble. Essentially, since its a living thing, it needs to be cultured in a manner similar to, for example, slime mold. When you smelt grade-C nanotechne, you insert a single bar of it along with the corroded metal, and get more of it later. So the reaction process is 1 Grade-C Nanotechne bar+2 corroded metal boulders= 2 nanotechne bars. You need to either buy a grade-c bar, or melt down an item made of grade-c nanotechne to get the seed material, but after that you should be rolling in the stuff unless I messed up the reaction data, since if that doesn't work something is seriously messed up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:20:57 pm by squamous »

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2020, 09:22:17 pm »

mmk i'll keep that in mind when the traders come back. btw, how do Corvid Uplifts reproduce? they've been laying eggs (and the first thing they tried doing was cooking them >.>) but none have yet hatched.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2020, 09:25:18 pm »

mmk i'll keep that in mind when the traders come back. btw, how do Corvid Uplifts reproduce? they've been laying eggs (and the first thing they tried doing was cooking them >.>) but none have yet hatched.

Oh shoot are they laying eggs still? That actually might be an error I need to fix. Basically, the mother needs to stay on them for the entire gestation process or they die, which is hard when they go off to party or eat or drink or what have you. You might need to use a 1x1 burrow or something to keep her in there, and place a food/drink stockpile in the same place so she doesn't starve. I've heard people say that works so I haven't made them give live birth yet, but let me know if that isn't actually true.

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2020, 09:40:08 pm »

Oh shoot are they laying eggs still? That actually might be an error I need to fix. Basically, the mother needs to stay on them for the entire gestation process or they die, which is hard when they go off to party or eat or drink or what have you. You might need to use a 1x1 burrow or something to keep her in there, and place a food/drink stockpile in the same place so she doesn't starve. I've heard people say that works so I haven't made them give live birth yet, but let me know if that isn't actually true.

Is there a way you can make it so that when they sit on the eggs they won't move no matter what? and set it up so that they are brought water by others as if they were in the hospital.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2020, 09:44:01 pm »

Is there a way you can make it so that when they sit on the eggs they won't move no matter what? and set it up so that they are brought water by others as if they were in the hospital.

That'd be the intent of the burrows. If you assign a corvid a 1x1 burrow directly over the nest, it will be unable to leave that square I think. As for bringing food and water, you'd need to create a pool or well directly next to the nest box, and a food stockpile on the same square as the nest box. All of that ought to take care of things from what I've been told.

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:53 pm »

That'd be the intent of the burrows. If you assign a corvid a 1x1 burrow directly over the nest, it will be unable to leave that square I think. As for bringing food and water, you'd need to create a pool or well directly next to the nest box, and a food stockpile on the same square as the nest box. All of that ought to take care of things from what I've been told.

no i know that, i meant you as in the dev of the mod. Like would it be possible to mod in a "tending to egg" labor that takes precidence over anything else, and that would also flag the person as needing assistance for like water and food (akin to them being in the hospital).

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2020, 09:58:53 pm »

actually nvm, the other corvids have been bringing them water in buckets o.o

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2020, 10:20:29 pm »

Sentient egg-layers is real tough without DFHack to help out. Even with DFHack some consider it not worth the effort. I don't think anyone has figured out a way to make it work well with raw manipulation.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25