Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 460153 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: All I want for Christmas...
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2019, 12:03:45 am »

Pathos looked at Jon and frowned as he considered his harsh and somewhat macabre comments.
"You... You..."
Such indifference for others. Such cynicism. Such lack of faith in other humans. Such single-minded focus on his comfort and his work, somehow combining both. Such belief in his superiority and the inferiority of others. Such hatred of lawyers. What a selfish, self-absorbed man.
"I like you." he said simply, finally making a face that could be considered a smile (though was also likely to be mistaken for the start of a stroke or constipation).
He'll be fun to watch the show with. And if nothing else, he can bring me more snacks.
"But you're wrong." he continued, his face returning to smug.
"Barring occult shenanigans, there's no way this type of teleporter can misdirect or duplicate its cargo. The device in the lab essentially catches and properly arranges the received items. If the transport beam was misaligned there'd be nothing to catch the incoming items. You'd simply end up with the it colliding with something else and getting dispersed. Maybe with enough strength to fry someone or even explode part of the base depending on the beam's focus and intensity and how shoddy this place's construction is.."
"If it breaks the building, it'll be more of a pain to record all the bodies."
Jon chews thoughtfully.
"There's probably something occult involved. Scientists cna never seem to get enough of poking the unknown and provoking some elder god or nasty demon or something."
Jon frowns for a moment, scoop of nutrient paste halfway to his mouth. He shrugs and stuffs the paste in his mouth, muffling his next sentence a bit.
"If they splatter the incoming guys all over the building, we'll be weeks finding hands in walls, eheads in toilet tanks, stomachs in filing cabinets. it'll be like a scavenger hunt. Probably some overtime, too."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2019, 05:17:37 am »

Quote from: piecewise
"The timer is an approximation." Stiles says, "Due to the natural time delay between transmissions and responses, we're running things off a standard time table in which we have just enough time to send in a response to let them know we're ready before they automatically send the next specimen.  We're running off the time table but there's a chance that we get slightly out of alignment.

No, I'm afraid we can't stop now."

Rezel relaxes, his eyes rolling back into his head as he slumps forward onto the box he was using as cover.  He starts shivering lightly, before speaking in an uncharacteristically snooty and confident tone, without moving.  "There is a distressingly vast assortment of things wrong with that statement.  This entire experiment is horribly designed, nearly to the point of uselessness.  Whoever designed it is an idiot of the highest order, and deserves to be shot repeatedly before they can waste even more valuable materiel through their incompetence."

Rezel then jerks back up to a standing position, looking around him confusedly, he eyes normal once more.  After sorting himself out, he returns to cowering behind the crate, crouched with his head just high enough to see over the edge.

Cower behind the crate, covering Spuds with the rifle as he goes to retrieve the puppy.  Shoot the puppy if the puppy is actually demons.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2019, 07:08:33 am »

"If it breaks the building, it'll be more of a pain to record all the bodies."
Jon chews thoughtfully.
"There's probably something occult involved. Scientists cna never seem to get enough of poking the unknown and provoking some elder god or nasty demon or something."
Jon frowns for a moment, scoop of nutrient paste halfway to his mouth. He shrugs and stuffs the paste in his mouth, muffling his next sentence a bit.
"If they splatter the incoming guys all over the building, we'll be weeks finding hands in walls, eheads in toilet tanks, stomachs in filing cabinets. it'll be like a scavenger hunt. Probably some overtime, too."
"Heh! True, true. You can never know with those idiots..."
He looked at Jon with that smile-like expression in his face and a malicious look in his eyes.
"Wanna make it interesting? I bet you 5 OMNIFUNDS things will go horribly wrong on the test after this one."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2019, 08:03:42 am »

"Wanna make it interesting? I bet you 5 OMNIFUNDS things will go horribly wrong on the test after this one."
"A bet, eh? You're on. What else am I gonna do with the money? I say things go horribly wrong on this test."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:23 pm »

Go through my contract notebook to see if there's any clauses or precedent to sue the guys at the other end of this teleporter if things go wrong with whatever they send through. Also bookmark the liability waiver for employee injuries resulting from canine sources, just in case.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2019, 12:49:15 pm »

"Miss Aethair, I may not be a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you can't sue an employee for being a little overzealous. If you have some ingrained love for mice or whatever, take it up with our boss."

"And both you and Mister Slant, in case you didn't hear, this is an internal OMNITECH experiment. If something goes wrong, that's an internal matter."

Keep watching the readouts.

Spoiler: Patrick Edmundson (click to show/hide)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »

"Yes, and?" Ed says, still looking at the screen of his notebook. "This being an internal matter doesn't mean we don't need liability waivers for when things go awry. I mean, really, if we start paying out damages to every employee who gets hurt in the line of duty we'll go under before you can say 'unionisation and legal liability are the devils of our age'."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2019, 01:16:25 pm »

"Miss Aethair, I may not be a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you can't sue an employee for being a little overzealous. If you have some ingrained love for mice or whatever, take it up with our boss."

"And both you and Mister Slant, in case you didn't hear, this is an internal OMNITECH experiment. If something goes wrong, that's an internal matter."

Keep watching the readouts.

Spoiler: Patrick Edmundson (click to show/hide)
Pat continues to watch the environment scanner.

Go through my contract notebook to see if there's any clauses or precedent to sue the guys at the other end of this teleporter if things go wrong with whatever they send through. Also bookmark the liability waiver for employee injuries resulting from canine sources, just in case.

[4] There's no clause for suing them individually so long as they are employed by OMNITECH. You'd have to sue the company as a whole and as you know, thats not legally allowed under your company contract.
Get ye dog crate ready.  I believe I volunteered for this one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spuds heads out into the hall and drags in a dog carrier made of pretty solid metal. He sets it down  somewhat near the teleporter and then returns to the box. The sweet embrace of the box.

Return to the lab and wait for the next thing to come out of the teleporter.
Benny wanders back in, coffee in hand, and sips it casually while waiting.

Keep aiming the sticky goop launcher at the tube. Place myself behind some cover if there is any, but preferably not near the group of people already bunching up.

If the teleport happens and anything untoward seems to occur (eg the dog doesn't teleport inside the tube but lands outside and uncontained, or it's mutated and attacks) then stick it to the floor!

"Could someone currently not keeping the teleporter at gun- or foampoint go fetch the cage please? Perhaps one of our, ah, 'legal advisers' or janitorial staff? "

Spoiler: Jion Maupin (click to show/hide)
Jion looks around for cover. Sadly, aside from one very crowded metal box, the only thing he can see are other security personnel or the scientist, Stiles. So he just crouches down and tries to be as small of a target as he can.

Spoiler: medic (click to show/hide)

Go behind a security guy and wait for the dog.

Dave hides behind Benny, who looks at him with one raised eyebrow and then shrugs and keeps drinking his coffee.

Rejoin the conga line, think of what would happen if I double dosed someone with the stimulant.
Spoiler: Heather Reid (click to show/hide)
Heather rejoins the conga line. Praise be to the box and its protection. Probably.  She considers what would happen if she double doses someone with a stimulant. [2] She has no freaking clue.

Use my considerable intellect to prove that all pastry are in fact pancakes, which means their names are interchangeable!

Oh, and keep an eye on those idiots in the lab, I guess.
Their antics are entertaining, if nothing else.

Do we have a radio so I can berate them if I notice them doing anything stupid?

[9]
Pathos jots down a quick mathematical proof about the nature of pastry using some frosting and then promptly explains it to Jon who nods lazily.

Vindicated, Pathos continues to watch the antics in the teleporter room and realizes that walkie talkies would be a good investment sooner or later .

"Meatloaf and nutrient paste! Reconstituted, by the look of it. THese scientists live hte dream, Pathos. Put down what's left of tht chocolate cake and try some of this. Mmmm."

Eat meatloaf and Reconstituted Nutrient paste. Watch the lab events on Pathos' security feed.

"Something will go wrong. Someone is going to get mutated, or the machinery will explode, or the signal will fail. Orthere will be a duplication loop and that room will absolutely fll up with gerbils. If we're lucky, the gerbils will be mutated and will biteeverything in theroom before suddenly exploding due to unstable teleportation isotopes."

Jon chuckles, a slightly dreamy look on his face.

"We would have a hell of a time, sorting bits of gerbil from bits of lawyer, and getting the blood out of every little crevasse."

Jon eats the meatloaf straight from its Tupperware container and the paste straight from its tube in alternating mouthfuls while watching the hologram.

Dead test subjects aren't particularly dangerous. Is there any chance that data corruption could cause the creation of dangerous chemical compounds? Is there any chance that something malevolent or alien could intercept the beam and infiltrate it?

Consider the likelihood of the following scenarios:
1: Data corruption leading to harmful radiation
2: Data corruption leading to hazardous chemicals (poisonous, acidic, flammable, reactive, all of the above...)
3: Data corruption leading to infectious disease (random mutations in virus/bacteria transferred along with the sample)
4: Data corruption leading to a violent test subject
5: Malicious intent of the package sender (teleporting a bomb or other dangerous object to us, possibly to eliminate a rival)
6: Compromising of the package sending site
7: Suborning of the package beam by a third party
8: Occult fuckery
9: All of the above at the same time

Remain some distance away from the teleporter. Prepare to visually analyze the contents of the teleported package as soon as it arrives and take measures depending on the nature of the package.

[4]
Hmm. There is a chance of potentially anything happening, albeit less likely. It could lead to options 1-4 and many more. As per 5, thats not so much occult as dickery. You're not a dickery officer. Any of the others are possible as well. Anything is possible, its all statistics.

Clem hangs around a good distance from the teleporter.

Went over max post length, pt2 to follow

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2019, 01:16:53 pm »

Spoiler: Class (click to show/hide)

Begin getting everyone's signatures on the paperwork, to avoid Legal troubles. Then set about reading the 'transdimensional' law sections in my OMNITECH Contract Notebook. Always good to keep up on the weirdness that happens elsewhere to make need of such things necessary.
Lisa walks around the room, asking people to sign the papers she's printed out. Most do, out of sheer force of habit.

[7] Transdimensional law is as complex as it sounds, but much of it seems to be related to liability waivers and contracts that extend beyond known space time and effect things retroactively.

Continue staying out of it and amusing myself watching the paranoia-fueled antics. At least there's some consolation for getting dragged out of bed early.
Heh. Box religion.

Spoiler: HAZMAT Harry, HMRC (click to show/hide)

Keep a careful watch on the scanner as the teleportation happens.
Harry points his scanner at the teleporter and waits.

Follow the security team to get this cage for dog. Clean poop if any.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aigre sits on top of the dog carrier and waits for his turn to be useful.

Quote from: piecewise
"The timer is an approximation." Stiles says, "Due to the natural time delay between transmissions and responses, we're running things off a standard time table in which we have just enough time to send in a response to let them know we're ready before they automatically send the next specimen.  We're running off the time table but there's a chance that we get slightly out of alignment.

No, I'm afraid we can't stop now."

Rezel relaxes, his eyes rolling back into his head as he slumps forward onto the box he was using as cover.  He starts shivering lightly, before speaking in an uncharacteristically snooty and confident tone, without moving.  "There is a distressingly vast assortment of things wrong with that statement.  This entire experiment is horribly designed, nearly to the point of uselessness.  Whoever designed it is an idiot of the highest order, and deserves to be shot repeatedly before they can waste even more valuable materiel through their incompetence."

Rezel then jerks back up to a standing position, looking around him confusedly, he eyes normal once more.  After sorting himself out, he returns to cowering behind the crate, crouched with his head just high enough to see over the edge.

Cower behind the crate, covering Spuds with the rifle as he goes to retrieve the puppy.  Shoot the puppy if the puppy is actually demons.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Yes, praise box. Praise box.  It is love. It is life. It is box.

00:00:00

This time the counter counts down to maybe a few seconds off Zero before the teleportation happens. Again the tube is filled with blinding white light, again the room is filled with ear molestingly loud and unpleasant buzzing. And then the light fades and sitting in the teleporter is a small white furred dog. A Pomeranian by the looks of it, just two black eyes, a nose and a mouth sticking out of a seemingly amorphous mass of fur.

"They sent the project lead's dog." Stiles says, bemused. "Well, grab it."

The tube rises with a hiss and as it does so, two things happen. First, anyone with an Environmental scanner pointed at the dog picks up a "High energy reaction". Second the observing scientists get over an intercom and say, "Wait, we're getting an error. It says the energy channel hasn't closed properly?"

Stiles looks back at the dog with evident confusion and points at it while speaking to the observation windows. "That can't be right, the subject is right here, all in one piece."

The dog, which had till this point been sort of nervously looking around, makes a noise. Not so much a bark as a "Mheh", some sort of halfhearted yip. And from its mouth erupts a cohesive beam of bluewhite plasma. The dog happens to be looking roughly in the direction of Benny and Dave when it yips, and they happen to be standing in line with the break room. [6v4,1]

Benny's security suit performs admirably and instead of being totally incinerated, he simply gets mildly toasted and punted out of the beam at high speed. He hits a far wall second degree burns and armor still glowing red from the heat.  Dave on the other hand ceases to exist, reduced utterly to ash in a way that made his attempt to hide behind Benny seem, at best, darkly comedic.  Benny's coffee also doesn't survive.

The plasma beam tears straight through the far wall, leaving a nice glowing hole, and then through the breakroom, melting the fridge and coffee maker before continuing on. Jon and Pathos poke their heads out a moment later, looking in the direction the beam came.

"We get it, We'll put the food back." Jon says, raising both hands in a conciliatory gesture.

Meanwhile the dog, apparently terrified of what just happened, has bounded out of the open teleporter and over to a far corner of the room, away from everyone, where it is now scratching at the wall to get out. Stiles is on the ground, covering his head, and the observing scientists are apparently piling out of their observation rooms.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Days without an accident: 0
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:16 pm »

”No, bad dog!”

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:52 pm »

A message form Corporate Headquarters
Attention employees, the first to collect a list of the fate stat of all active employees and then arrange this list from lowest to highest will receive a bonus after their current assignment.

Awarded to : RADIO CONTROLLED
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:33:51 pm by piecewise »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2019, 01:28:58 pm »

Pathos (parisbre56) d4
Heather Reid (hotfire) d4
Dave (ziizo) d4 DEAD
Rezel Revel (syvarris) d4
Roald Baccam (tophat) d4
Spuds McKenzie (devastator) d4
HAZMAT Harry (Madman198237) d6
Edward F. Slant esq. (pancaek) d6
Qualt (Gentlefish) d6
Edward Mortan (NAV) d6
Patrick Edmundson (the_two_eternities) d6
Lisa Aethair (tricmagic) d6
clem (Egan_BW) d6
Jion Maupin (Radio Controlled) d6
Benny Benson (king zultan) d8
Aigre (Aigre Excalibur) d8
Mildred Hootzal (Yoink) d8
Jonathan "Jon" I. Tor (Ozarck) d12
Lance Bradley (The Lupanian) d12
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:50:08 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2019, 01:32:26 pm »

"Huh."

Do the sensible thing and remotely transmit the command to shut down the energy channel.
Then continue nonchalantly munching on crepes.

If Stiles is still alive, ask him who he thinks won my bet with Oz. I bet things would go horribly wrong on the next experiment while Oz bet it would go horribly wrong in this experiment. Oz says he won because of the dog incident. But I argue that things aren't horribly wrong, they are only somewhat wrong. I'm sure the next experiment will be much worse!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:10:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:15 pm »

Prod people with my gun to clear a nice, clean route between the dog and its crate.  Don't say anything, don't want to attract the dog's attention.

Spoiler: Spuds (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:35 pm »

”Guys, before you shoot, consider this. His insides are full of a lot of energy, so maybe think twice before you put holes in him, since his outsides are the only thing keeping his insides in. ”
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 334