Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398164 times)

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2021, 06:56:03 am »

seeing it in motion has made me realise the blue tint is way too strong, at least for me. i would hope we can change the intensity of it.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2021, 11:18:45 am »

Steam Community Update 23 September 2021: New Desert Fortress in Action!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2865968678818124363 

Full text:

Hello!

Tarn has been busy working on all the menu updates so while he's busy with that, we have 10 minutes of new gameplay footage from Zach in a new desert fortress! You'll be able to see many of the new menus discussed in previous updates in action:

https://youtu.be/tQfg4OxvrAQ

Watch as Zach digs out new areas for workshops and bedrooms using the labor and nobles menus to designate the proper spaces.

Here is a first look at the desert terrain:

Here is what it looks like underground where you can see a well and some mushroom trees:

For the full video and a list of timestamps, check out the video on Youtube. During this menu period of development we thought that showing more videos a couple times a month would be a bit more interesting so let us know what you think!

-Alexandra and Bay 12 Games

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2021, 11:57:52 am »

Personally I don't find this kind of video particularly useful, as you just see things flicker, menus appearing, something in them clicked at which the menu disappears. The time stamps are somewhat useful in telling you what it sort of is supposed to show. However, there's not really anything to draw your attention to things that are new and thus of interest, and standard activities just using a mouse driven icon interface (again, with unfamiliar icons).

However, I'm someone who only watches videos of games when I can't find the info in written form (where I can process it at my own pace, dwelling on things of interest and speed over the boring/irrelevant bits).

I'd probably find it of use if the videos followed the normal teaching format of first telling you what they're going to show, pointing out particular new features, then show it at a pace at which you can actually follow what's happening. The interface is unfamiliar, so watchers won't immediately know what the menus they see are, where they'll show up, and what they contain, so the pace ought to match that.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2021, 12:50:15 pm »

The game looks like it's coming along pretty well and looks nice.  I'll second Patrik's comments, the video is hard to follow unless I pause it every few seconds to get a look at the menus & stuff.  It all just goes too fast.  Perhaps next time a voiceover explaining what's going on would be nice.

One small thing that annoyed me right from the start was when dwarfs drop boulders down the hole, you can't see the boulders as they fall down.  It made me wonder if they were dropping them or canceling their job and carrying them off as they left.

Thanks for the update... Cheers to the Adams brothers & KitFox!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:51:51 pm by Uthimienure »
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »

I hope the music from the video is part of the premium version's sound track, it was quite nice to listen to :)  Also, due to my youtube streaming quality, I appreciate the still screen shots a lot as much of that artistic detail was not apparent.  Keep up the great work!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2021, 04:24:29 am »

I hope the music from the video is part of the premium version's sound track, it was quite nice to listen to :)  Also, due to my youtube streaming quality, I appreciate the still screen shots a lot as much of that artistic detail was not apparent.  Keep up the great work!

According to a comment on youtube/steam (can't recall which) it is the default Autumn track.

Youtube lets you buffer high quality if you set it manually and wait.

btw I greatly appreciate the video!

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2021, 12:33:04 pm »

I'm sure there will be more videos in the future with better production values. I think this video has a lot of useful info, but indeed it's a bit tedious to parse out. But just think, this video probably only took away 10 minutes of dev time to make, whereas a slickly edited video would take hours. I agree that the video isn't entertaining on its own, but for people chomping at the bit for any details, it may be worth going through the video frame-by-frame to extract information. Those people will synthesize this information and report it back to us in a more digestible format. For example, here's a video by Blind that adds a voice over to the official video:

https://youtu.be/uwprO_VRGsY

It's a bit like how DF development often leans on community support, which is one of the more interesting things about its production.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2021, 01:24:04 pm »

Steam Community Update 7 October 2021: Building Underground Wells

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2996574255984686354

Full text:

Hello!

We have another video update this week. We have listened to your feedback so this time, we will be showcasing one specific task. This video shows digging out an underground well and setting up the cistern/water supply for it.

https://youtu.be/d6XnQyl_c84

It's a little confusing because of the Z level changes, but I think that'll always be true without a voice over, and even then, it's still there. It's much easier to understand Z levels when you play, so this may end up being one of the more challenging subjects for a video, since it involves several Z levels.

Over in Tarn land, I've been working on the military screen, and progress has been good.The internal rewrite that I thought might take days or even a week or more is done, quickly, so we're in good shape. I've done all the squad assignment stuff and the new order interface. Now, having done the internal equipment rewrite, I need to do the equipment and scheduling interface.

For the full video and a list of timestamps, check out the video on Youtube. Please continue to give us feedback on these videos as we continue to go through these menu-heavy updates.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2021, 02:01:43 pm »

Is the music I hear in the background one of the new in-game ambient tracks?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2021, 04:37:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure all the music we've heard in these for months has been. This is definitely in the same style.
Team Bug Fix!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2021, 06:40:52 pm »

Youtube lets you buffer high quality if you set it manually and wait.

That makes all the difference, wow!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 08, 2021, 04:16:54 am »

Love, scriver~

CohentheBarbarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2021, 03:16:24 am »

What in tarnnation

I've herd those places are all Tarnished

[HYBRID BEING]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2021, 03:35:28 pm »

A few things, that could be nice, came to mind while watching videos:
  • Smooth camera movement (with adjustable speed). Right now camera jerks a lot, especially with Shift, it'd be easier to follow if camera actually moved instead of jumping around.
  • Toggleable snapping of the camera to grid. Without snapping, using middle mouse button to drag camera around would be way more convenient (although, i didn't see current implementation in action). WASD could in turn move camera at adjustable speed, with Shift multiplying that speed.
  • Moving camera by moving mouse against screen borders (with snapping either on and off). Would work in the same manner as WASD, may or may not be modifiable by Shift. Biggest concern is playing in non-fullscreen, but that's solvable.
  • Some kind of noticeable elevation change indicator (up/down)? Might not be very useful for players themselves, but would probably help a lot for streams and recordings.
  • Smooth transition between elevations? Not sure how that could be pulled of, though. Maybe make top layer grow a bit and fade (simulating getting closer to camera) to show descent, and reverse - to show ascent? Might work as "indicator", but, then again, no idea how that would look when elevation is changed rapidly...

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #269 on: October 21, 2021, 11:56:41 am »

Steam Community Update 21 October 2021: How to Stop a Goblin Attack

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3029226631979231617

Full text:

Hello!

We a special video this week featuring Zach Adams of Bay12 Games showing how to defend your fort from a goblin siege.

https://youtu.be/hAznS9QBKME

This time, Zach has set up a waterfall fort with a pen of exotic large animals. It's a very appealing site for goblins! But as you'll see, in the video, they will face a hallway full of different traps to stop them.

For the full video and a list of timestamps, check out the video on Youtube. Thank you to everyone for the feedback on these last few video updates. Please continue to do so and as always, come visit us on the Kitfox Discord: https://discord.gg/Zcm2q8MMxh!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 38