Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weird issue with dwarves spontaneously... melting?  (Read 31598 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Re: Weird issue with dwarves spontaneously... melting?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 03:21:34 am »

I've been getting this after EVERY fight that my dwarves engage in. They never start melting when they're say, milling around the barracks training, or going off to raid, or coming back from a raid, or doing whatever else. It's exclusively after they get into a fight, and only when I have temperatures turned on. I even tried embarking in a cold biome to see if that helps, but they still melt without fail after every fight. It's pretty annoying because the blood-loss makes me nervous that they'll die after the fight from wounds they otherwise might've survived.
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 10:06:04 pm »

I realized I forgot to ask this: any sort of modding going on for either of you that could be related to this issue?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 05:56:11 pm »

I've been getting this after EVERY fight that my dwarves engage in. They never start melting when they're say, milling around the barracks training, or going off to raid, or coming back from a raid, or doing whatever else. It's exclusively after they get into a fight, and only when I have temperatures turned on. I even tried embarking in a cold biome to see if that helps, but they still melt without fail after every fight. It's pretty annoying because the blood-loss makes me nervous that they'll die after the fight from wounds they otherwise might've survived.

I guess your dwarves are getting so worked up their skin flash-boils.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:31:45 am »

Something weird going on with their sweat maybe?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 06:34:29 am »

If it's exclusively after combat, I would suspect something that is acting via open wounds? Some kind of syndrome coating on their skin that doesn't bother them until it gets pushed inside maybe? Or the other way around, their blood being exposed to air?

If it happens across multiple embarks – Kars tried a cold biome – it seems more likely to be something funky in the dwarves' raws (or possibly domestic animals common to both locations) rather than something an enemy sprays on them.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:59:49 pm »

I have done some very light modding to races in creatures_standard, but nothing involving materials or tissues. Mostly personality stuff, or the addition of generic flags (making satyrs playable, for example).

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:29 pm »

I guess your dwarves are getting so worked up their skin flash-boils.

If that's the case I'm totally okay with it because that's cool as hell

I realized I forgot to ask this: any sort of modding going on for either of you that could be related to this issue?

Nope, I've added [TRAINABLE] to a few animals to make them usable in War, but I was getting this problem even before doing that, and it's the only thing I've changed.

If it's exclusively after combat, I would suspect something that is acting via open wounds? Some kind of syndrome coating on their skin that doesn't bother them until it gets pushed inside maybe? Or the other way around, their blood being exposed to air?

If it happens across multiple embarks – Kars tried a cold biome – it seems more likely to be something funky in the dwarves' raws (or possibly domestic animals common to both locations) rather than something an enemy sprays on them.

They get this even after fighting simple things such as Gazelles and Ravens, so I really doubt it's some kind of syndrome dust/liquid/what have you as I've also scoured their armor and clothing for anything that could do this, and they're always clean
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:41 pm »

Sounds like it's time to upload a save
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:13 am »

Wasn't there an old bug in which if you managed to remove all of a dwarf's fat through controlled partial incineration, he became fireproof?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:48 am »

No, they could not bleed, because the tissue layers that bled were no longer present, so they could endure all kinds of trauma.

Zydramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 03:09:09 am »

The bug has resurfaced on a new fortress, in a new world generation. Some dwarves went into combat and now they are melting slowly.

I haven't messed with temps at all in this fortress.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 03:43:30 pm »

I'm having the same issue.
At first, I thought it was the zombies the military fought with some kind of horrifying necrosis syndrome or something, but that wasn't the case.
I noticed as they were fighting, they would periodically become stunned for seemingly no reason and then all their fat would suddenly fall out all over the floor into grease and they would become faint.
The fort is in a scorching barrens with temp still turned on.
The military has engaged in multiple fights, but it seems like only when they fight on the surface does it cause them to be stunned (not cave adaptation, they don't become nauseous and vomit) and then shortly after have all their fat just fall off.

It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.   

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »

It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Can I put this in my sig with your permission?

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 04:04:51 pm »

Can I put this in my sig with your permission?

Be my guest, dude!  ;D

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 08:50:15 am »

I might see if I can't drum up an adventure mode save this weekend. I'd say it'd be even more terrifying when your lower body fat melts because you were reciting poetry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3