Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Chain Lore: A game of Semi-cooperative worldbuilding  (Read 11413 times)

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Lore: A game of Semi-cooperative worldbuilding
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2019, 10:44:51 am »

The Collector is a gigantic crab, which collects everything it deems rare or exquisite into it'spocket dimension, wherethousands of rats obey it's will, and clean the Collector's treasure, as well as subjugating any escape attempts. The crab has luft for new additions, and stops at nothing to get something new.
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2019, 11:03:11 am »

The Speaker is a being that stands opposed to the Audience and cannot truly be said to be alive. It is formless and can possess the bodies of creatures who are no longer part of a story. It possess the old and forgotten but only for a short time. It seeks to undermine and disrupt stories by telling their characters of things they aren't ready to hear and revealing plot twists early.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:47 pm »

The Collector is a gigantic crab, which collects everything it deems rare or exquisite into it'spocket dimension, wherethousands of rats obey it's will, and clean the Collector's treasure, as well as subjugating any escape attempts. The crab has luft for new additions, and stops at nothing to get something new.
+1

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2019, 12:18:22 pm »

unicorns are fairly common, and are known to stab non unicorns that enter their territories.
(Cycle 3 Truth 16)
[5]

There are thousands of different species of animals that wonder the surface and underground of the planet.

unicorns are fairly common, are known to stab non unicorns that enter their territories.
Unicorns, natures assholes.
[1]

[2]

The Speaker is a being that stands opposed to the Audience and cannot truly be said to be alive. It is formless and can possess the bodies of creatures who are no longer part of a story. It possess the old and forgotten but only for a short time. It seeks to undermine and disrupt stories by telling their characters of things they aren't ready to hear and revealing plot twists early.
[2]

Cycle 1: Ultimate Truth
1: Stories are real.

Cycle 2: Great Truths
1."The size of the world at any given time is directly proportional to the amount of people who tell stories" Is the accepted truth but in fact the world has many sizes, and can be endless or have no size at all, depending for each person on the stories they know.

2. There are many species, each of whom have their own stories

3.  Any story told even if its a lie might become reality.

4. Dreams count as stories, but it is the Id, the primal beast within all creatures, which shapes these, rather than one's conscious mind.

5. Different species prefer different tropes, and these tropes shape the land locally based on the amount of storytellers.

6. The most important species are immortal spiders, whose string shows each story, connecting all of them into a giant and always growing web. But the world was not created by a spider, but by a mysterious being known as the Author, the subject and teller of the first story.

7. Dreams count as stories and their effects are even more permanent and long lasting than normal stories.

8. Contradictory stories simply cancel each other out harmlessly.

9. Most creatures hurt their prey and competitors through slander.

10.The Nightmare is an aberration of corrupted dreams and lies, with it's only purpose being the corruption of all Dreams, and to scare other beings. This is the accepted truth, but it is actually a stabilizing force, absorbing the wildest dreams into itself in order to avoid the nocturnal havoc they would cause.

Cycle three: Truths about the nature of the world
1. Thetas is a planet of mostly water, with ice at the surface to contain the water. The water contains various chemicals, which over time may form into self replicating structures.

2. Ruins from ancient civilizations that predate the creation of the world can occasionally be found; this is the accepted truth but they are remains of the worlds the Many who Sink have eaten.

3. The Many Who Sink are Tiny Minnows that sink through the Universe. These fish divide asexually and Live a very short time. They feed in great swarms, stripping worlds.  They are not individually intelligent, but together they weave great stories made of the worlds they eat.

4. Although the most destructive dreams and lies are produced by sophisticated creatures, such beings cannot survive in close proximity to the Nightmare for long.

5. "Somewhere in the world, there is a moon that is actually made of cheese" is the accepted truth, but it is actually a star.

6. One cornerstone of reality is the Interior, a wild landscape of unimaginable size dreamed by the birds and beasts that inhabit it. The Interior is linked to countless other planes, as it is a product of the primal Id lurking within all creatures.

7. The spiders main food source is schools of The Many Who Sink.

8. "On Thetas there are creatures called Merfolk. They have a tail like a fish and the head of a vulture. They have two octopus tentacles one on the left and one at the right of their necks. They are sentient and sapient, and they hunt the many species of fish that inhabit Thetas." is the accepted truth but The Merfolk are actually a hive mind, that has its drones act like individuals in order to protect itself from hostile storytelling. And they actually prefer to eat crustaceans.

9. The biggest of this suspended continents is called Shamirah, and it is inhabited by a race of  sentient birds, the Sherazade. They weave intricate, complex  stories that are always sung, never told." is the accepted truth but the Sherazade are actually mammals with Short faces often mistaken for beaks

10. Significant amounts of the life on the Planet exists on a single huge continent sunken in the depths of the world and almost completely disconnected from the rest of the world.  The Spiders interfere in the lives of these creatures constantly, puppeting them about with web to play out stories exactly as the spiders wish.

11. One of the Species in the World exists in the form of the Earthen, graceful and peaceful giants composed of Rock who record stories by creating images and words in crystal, which create moving pictures when caught by the light in the right way. These crystals can be as small as a pebble or large as a house, and are often sought after due to the Earthen’s tendency to record vast amounts of knowledge in these crystals. This is the accepted truth but...

12. In this world, there exists magical Walruses that can grant people wishes.

13. One of the rarer Species in the World are the Dirtlings; Short, red skinned Insects who live a cloistered lifestyle, hunting wild Animals during the fall, hiding away until they come out to wage war during the Winter. For the whole Winter, they raid settlements and attempt to censor or destroy any stories that do not relate to them. Dirtlings are rare and major Cities built by them are few in number.

14. The Audience is a being who constantly wanders around, never stopping, in an endless search to find a story that surpasses all others. It wears a shadowy hat and a cape that hides it, and holds a sword feather that serves to travel through dreams. The Audience despise those who tell lies, or create bad stories. It has to able to destroy the will to live of those who go against it.

15. One Species in the World are the Walkers, Humanoid creatures capable of regenerating lost body parts. They travel the world, gathering Stories and weaving a tapestry of lies to surround themselves, to protect their existence from harmful storytelling. They always cover themselves in clothing from head to toe, and never reveal their true names. Their title, The Walkers, originates due to a lack of general knowledge on their society or any further details beyond their tendency to travel. Some call them the Secret keepers.

16. While there are tales about the Llama, Platypus and Narwhal, these creatures simply do not exist. But Unicorns, Chimeras and Griffons are entirely real.

17. Unicorns are fairly common, and are known to stab non unicorns that enter their territories.

18. There are very few different species of animals that wonder the surface and underground of the planet, almost everything is a subspecies of one of a few omni-species.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2019, 03:47:17 pm »

One of the Species in the World exists in the form of the Earthen, graceful and peaceful giants composed of Rock who record stories by creating images and words in crystal, which create moving pictures when caught by the light in the right way. These crystals can be as small as a pebble or large as a house, and are often sought after due to the Earthen’s tendency to record vast amounts of knowledge in these crystals. This is the accepted truth but the ‘crystals’ are actually chimera eggs, which the Earthen care for, and the ‘knowledge’ is just random ways the light bounces from them
(Amendment To Cycle 3 Truth 11
Connected to Cycle 3, Truth 16)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2019, 04:44:28 pm »

There exists a variety of humanoid species, who vary greatly from species to species, such are the stories told about them. They are largely unaware of the nature of stories.
Cycle 3, Truth 19
Not connected to other truths
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:35:57 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2019, 05:11:12 pm »

Cycle 3 Truth 20
Once a year, the ocean changes color and it lasts a week. When the water is this new color, everything living in the ocean gets a speed increase. Every year, the color the water changes differs.
Not connected to other truths

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2019, 07:16:08 am »

Somewhere in the world is a giant egg that no one knows where came from, and it may or may not hatch into a world eating monster.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2019, 09:08:13 am »

I think it's time to lay down a few relatively mundane (dare I say, cliche-ic) truths. Sure, some of them will get horribly subverted... but that's half the fun, yes?

Humans are prevalent upon the upper world, and-- though few of them know it-- their stories are the most powerful of all.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2019, 09:22:22 am »

I think it's time to lay down a few relatively mundane (dare I say, cliche-ic) truths. Sure, some of them will get horribly subverted... but that's half the fun, yes?

Humans are prevalent upon the upper world, and-- though few of them know it-- their stories are the most powerful of all.
-1 Humans are too prevalent in worlds due to the creators of said worlds being human, I think a human less world would be more interesting

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2019, 09:56:18 am »

Human-populated worlds are common, yes... but is that a bad thing? As I see it, a touch of humanity-- a touch of mundane life-- gives folk something to relate to. It's a grounding influence, something to help stabilize all the fantastical creatures and places you might create after.

That's not to say it's impossible to write human-less worlds! Still, I'd rather put the proposition forward and let the dice decide.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2019, 12:02:58 pm »

+1
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2019, 01:14:33 pm »

Do -1 actually do anything in this game, because I thought everything was up to the dice and piecewise as to weather or not it got in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2019, 01:18:12 pm »

Do -1 actually do anything in this game, because I thought everything was up to the dice and piecewise as to weather or not it got in.
The GM must roll now for which truths get put in the cycle, then we can post again, each poster can post once per GM rolll. So once the GM rolls for which truths occur, we can post more truths, until then, we wait for piecewise

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2019, 01:21:51 pm »

The GM must roll now for which truths get put in the cycle, then we can post again, each poster can post once per GM rolll. So once the GM rolls for which truths occur, we can post more truths, until then, we wait for piecewise
I knew all that, I was asking if +1 and -1 'ing thing actually did any thing here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7