Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 73

Author Topic: Legacy FEF IC Thread  (Read 54026 times)

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy FEF IC Thread
« Reply #660 on: March 15, 2020, 06:34:17 pm »

The bard seems to sigh, half-irritably, half-resignedly.
: "...Very well."
He looks back up to Friedhelm.
: "I hope you at least understand the forces you are working with. I may not have the entirety of my memory, but I have a pretty good hunch about the kind of magic that grimoire contains. And that hunch is telling me that it's something I've dedicated a good part of my life to fighting."
: "At the very least, I would hope you could tell me a bit more about this ritual that summoned us here. When you spoke, you made it seem as though it did its selection on its own. But is that really the case? Do you have no clues as to which worlds we came from? I have every desire to turn away this War Breaker, but regaining our memories in whole takes equal priority."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 15, 2020, 06:51:35 pm »

"I understand quite well what is contained within that book, don't you worry. We will put it to a more wholesome use. I hope."
"As for the ritual that brought you to me, I daren't say. Please understand, to use this magic is- was the greatest taboo of my people. If you were, I don't know, captured. Or if you were to record your observations, that could be enough for a clever person. With the use of a great enough power source, this is not the only place it could be used."
Friedhelm gestured vaguely at the halls around them. "When I told you that the spell selected you, rather than myself, it was the truth. If I could have made the choice myself, well..." The sentence trailed off into nothing for a few moments, before Friedhelm seemed to force himself to finish the thought. "It's clear enough that you're all capable. But I have don't know who you are, either. If you can all be trusted. The spell does not, and cannot, bind your wills to my own, though it endeavors to find those who will see things the way I do. That everything, and everyone, is in grave danger, should this place fall to the War Breaker."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 15, 2020, 09:07:29 pm »

"Voila-Siegbrau. The drink of victory! It is traditionally taken at gloaming after a day of hard battle, with the words...

"Long May the Sun Rise".

She lifted her mug in invocation.

It wasn't a toast Vahn had ever heard before, but he responded with one of his own, "ishi vizuri". The ring translated it immediately as 'live well' but he knew what he said. He lifted it and took a long drink, wondering how long it had been since he'd had alcohol.

"That is quite the interesting burn going down. I can taste the orange in it, but it's almost like swallowing an orange on fire..."

The old warlock chuckled.

"Ah, I see. An orange on fire - the sun."

He pushed the plate of bhajia and mshikaki across the island counter so Iris could easily reach them as well and took a skewer. It wasn't as good as if he had had a night to really let the spiced juices soak into the meat before cooking it, but it was good enough for the first home-cooked meal he'd had since... forever. As far as he could remember if he wasn't eating whatever he could throw together it was whatever a tavern had on offer.

"A little taste of Gahnawende to go with that of your Ariamis drink."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 15, 2020, 09:23:33 pm »

"...Mmm! These go very well together! Very...savory..."

Iris actually stopped speaking for a moment and began chowing down. She rampaged through her meal quite swiftly, though very ladylike-perhaps it was heretical to Vahns countrymen and their culinary habits, but Iris ate the skewered food with a fork and knife.

*Munch munch munch*

"...Are you going to eat all of that?" She said, fork posed menacingly towards Vahns own plate.

"...Sorry for my manners...It feels like it's been so long since I've eaten, and...that's a strange truth to it..." She mused, not sure if Vahn wanted to hear her story or not. It certainly wasn't a very cheerful one.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:50 pm »

: "All right, all right. I will concede, you have a right to be suspicious of us, as well."
The bard shakes his head, before lifting up his finger that held the All-Tongues ring.
: "But it's curious... you thought ahead to provide us with a means to bypass such a language barrier, yet didn't check whether any of us spoke the same language already."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:45:28 pm by CrimsonEon »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:13 pm »

"You can't go wrong with meat and alcohol. If you'd like, you can have the lion's share; I enjoy eating but I haven't much stomach for it."

Vahn gestured to the remaining skewers of mshikaki and the bhajia, indicating she was free to take as much as she wanted. He took a second skewer and two of the bhajia chips, eating the chips first.

"It's quite all right. I've never seen anyone eat meat off a skewer with a fork, but we come from different worlds so I'm not surprised by the difference in table manners - not that I would consider myself much of a cultured man in the first place."

Iris mentioned not having eaten in a long time and Vahn raised an eyebrow at that.

"What do you mean?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 15, 2020, 10:00:40 pm »

"I'm not usually so refined, it may surprise you to know...but I learned certain habits...and I suppose, I become what I expect people would desire I be...but that's not the real me..."

"It's sort of complicated...but then again, it's as simple as night and day. Or fire and air...

Picture first what happened to my world, Vahn. A dark room with naught but a single candle. A man would light this candle, wouldn't he? But eventually it burns out...and he must needs go find another candle. When he runs out, he'll go and buy more candles...when the market runs out of candles, the market will order more from the wickery...and the wickery will buy supplies of beeswax from the keepers...and the bees will continue to make their combs, buzzing happily, as long as the sun shines.

Now imagine...if the sun was going out.

The biggest candle of all. No more bees, no more wax, no more candles, no more wickerys, or markets. Just the man in his dark room. The was the terrible truth we learned in our world...was that no source of energy was infinite. What I recall, Vahn, was that my world was fading away like a dying fire...and I was fading with it. I haven't eaten physically in a long time, because I was not strictly alive, though something far from dead.

An odd thing to say, isn't it? I certainly feel alive now..."
She said, with something like wonder, digging into her meal with simple joy.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 15, 2020, 10:12:22 pm »

"I'm not usually so refined, it may surprise you to know...but I learned certain habits...and I suppose, I become what I expect people would desire I be...but that's not the real me..."

Vahn's response might have surprised Iris.

"...I know a lot about that. Shaping people's view of me, meeting their expectations... I can't say this 'Demon of Gahnawende' was never me, but... it was what I wanted people to see. Not Vahn Brannon. You understand, don't you?"

"It's sort of complicated...but then again, it's as simple as night and day. Or fire and air...

Picture first what happened to my world, Vahn. A dark room with naught but a single candle. A man would light this candle, wouldn't he? But eventually it burns out...and he must needs go find another candle. When he runs out, he'll go and buy more candles...when the market runs out of candles, the market will order more from the wickery...and the wickery will buy supplies of beeswax from the keepers...and the bees will continue to make their combs, buzzing happily, as long as the sun shines.

Now imagine...if the sun was going out.

The biggest candle of all. No more bees, no more wax, no more candles, no more wickerys, or markets. Just the man in his dark room. The was the terrible truth we learned in our world...was that no source of energy was infinite. What I recall, Vahn, was that my world was fading away like a dying fire...and I was fading with it. I haven't eaten physically in a long time, because I was not strictly alive, though something far from dead.

An odd thing to say, isn't it? I certainly feel alive now..."

"I don't mean to laugh at your story, miss Iris, but it contrasts with one of my beliefs and it's amusing."

"I've always thought that the sun was fueled by the weight of humanity's sin, and the day it burned out would be the day it no longer had any evil deeds to feed on; we would move on to whatever better place came next."

He smiled ruefully.

"Perhaps I was wrong the whole time, and the sun didn't burn away evil... it was fueled from the good in the world, and when there was none left... perhaps what happened to yours would happen to mine, too. Some sort of... unlife, no longer illuminated by the light of the heavens. A true hell if ever there was one."

He turned back to Iris.

"For what it's worth... I'm sorry that happened to your home. That anyone should have to go through that."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 15, 2020, 10:36:12 pm »

"...I know a lot about that. Shaping people's view of me, meeting their expectations... I can't say this 'Demon of Gahnawende' was never me, but... it was what I wanted people to see. Not Vahn Brannon. You understand, don't you?"

She had nodded solemnly.

"It was the mask you wore to do your work. You became something other than what you were. It's the mark of an artist-thou were dedicated to your craft, and in doing so gave a part of thyself to its perfection. Making your enemies think you were a Demon made you a more fearsome warrior...Vahn Brannon was just a man, after all. He could be killed, betrayed, or beaten. But, the Demon of Gahnawende never lost a fight, did he? He never bled, or had aching joints, or felt remorse...

And so I was Iris the Artist. Not Baker. They wouldn't have liked such an ordinary name appended to mine own. A more charming and biddable soul-painter you could never hope to meet. She never argued, or told you a thing couldn't be done-unless you liked your workers to be fractious. Then she could do that to. No matter the work. No matter how painful the work...she never showed discomfort, or unease, or disdain toward those who paid her to frame their souls...my mask, I fear, was not so heavy as your own Vahn. But it was heavy enough for me."

"For what it's worth... I'm sorry that happened to your home. That anyone should have to go through that."

"Thy words are kind...and I will treasure them. I feel there were few people left in my world enough to eulogize all we had lost...but at specifics, my mind grows dim. I am looking over a dead city, from the top of my tower. All my wealth, my power, my prestige. It didn't mean anything...and then, I don't remember what happened after that...but...I am sure it is a fate that awaits all worlds. This dimming of all lights. I do not know what comes of it, Heaven or Hell, or oblivion...but nothing lasts...

Not a good concept. Some part of me wishes I hadn't recalled something like that...but the other part of me cannot turn away from wanting to know...I'd prefer very much, Vahn, if you don't mention this idea to the others. It it not something I would burden many with. Would you tell a child how the candle would go out and leave him in the darkness? Not if you want him to sleep peacefully...sometimes ignorance is a blessing...if they go back to their worlds, I would have them do so with hope in their hearts...

I feel you can handle it, however. To people like you and I, Vahn...I suppose we have never been able to avert our eyes from the truth."

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:40:00 pm by Dwarmin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 15, 2020, 11:16:54 pm »

"It was the mask you wore to do your work. You became something other than what you were. It's the mark of an artist-thou were dedicated to your craft, and in doing so gave a part of thyself to its perfection. Making your enemies think you were a Demon made you a more fearsome warrior...Vahn Brannon was just a man, after all. He could be killed, betrayed, or beaten. But, the Demon of Gahnawende never lost a fight, did he? He never bled, or had aching joints, or felt remorse...

And so I was Iris the Artist. Not Baker. They wouldn't have liked such an ordinary name appended to mine own. A more charming and biddable soul-painter you could never hope to meet. She never argued, or told you a thing couldn't be done-unless you liked your workers to be fractious. Then she could do that to. No matter the work. No matter how painful the work...she never showed discomfort, or unease, or disdain toward those who paid her to frame their souls...my mask, I fear, was not so heavy as your own Vahn. But it was heavy enough for me."

Vahn smiled ruefully.

"No, the demon bled. It was only the providence of some higher power that I made it as far as I did; I remember that more often than not I fought with my hide full of arrows, bleeding from several wounds. I like to think that all that suffering only added to the legend; how do you kill a man who simply refuses to die? But it seems I've been abandoned, or else finally ran out of luck and vigor... or perhaps this Guardian has taken me beyond God's reach."

He rubbed his scarred throat as he listened to Iris speak of her own persona - a civilized woman's mask of charm and words, not a feral man's mask of blood and violence. But he considered it no less a burden just because it wasn't his own. Perhaps he couldn't fully understand the artist's own trials and tribulations, but he could sympathize. Other people could be a blessing - he did not quite remember why he thought that - but more often than not they could equally be a curse, whether you dealt them war or peace.

"It's difficult, isn't it? To always wear those expectations. To never let your walls down, always guard what's on your mind and in your heart. I consider it an honor you would confide in me."

He sipped his sigbrau slowly as she continued on, speaking of the ruin that befell her home, of the hard truth that one day all things must end. He knew that well. There was no immortality; even a legend decays, becomes warped and twisted over the years until it was forgotten or no longer recognizable. Men died, kingdoms rose and fell, their works as ephemeral as the morning dew - and even that, too, one day would no longer be a constant, when the seas dried out and all life faded.

"I understand. Most of them are young, and even that knight... he spoke of children and a wife to return to. There's no point in darkening their spirits. But you, standing in the twilight of your world, and I, standing in the twilight of my life... we see the darkness waiting for us. How easy it would be to go to her and finally rest, with our backs to the flame; let the youth tend the fires as long as they are able."

The old warlock sighed and finished his drink.

"Perhaps we will regain more of our memories soon and be able to speak of gentler things than the world's ruin."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 16, 2020, 07:02:45 am »

: "But it's curious... you thought ahead to provide us with a means to bypass such a language barrier, yet didn't check whether any of us spoke the same language already."

"It's easier to just put the rings onto sleeping people and explain after the fact, I thought. I would have had a devil of a time trying to get you all to put them on without being able to speak to you. Not that there would be much of a point to checking to see what languages you all spoke. I've always relied on the All-Tongues rings for my own studies so I've never picked up other languages, and there isn't a benefit to you all not being able to understand one another.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 16, 2020, 08:05:35 am »

"Do you mind if I accompany you? I also require some supplies myself. Possibly more healing salves."
Otiros glanced to the side the moment he heard someone speaking up and responded with a brief nod.
"Oh? Sure, I suppose some company is welcome."
"That is good. It somewhat feels odd to interact with the others. I feel somewhat....left out."

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 16, 2020, 08:21:20 am »

: "Fair enough. But I saved you some of the legwork, anyway." The bard removes his All-Tongues ring, idly twirling it in his hand, "There are two groups of people among those you summoned who appear to share a language, one group of two, and one group of three including myself. Even between these two groups, it appears that there is some overlap in language, though it's not perfect. Everyone else, though, seems to speak a language unique to themselves."
: "I'd take that as a solid sign that some of us are from the same world, at least."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:45 am »

Friedhelm stared at Alec as if he had grown a second head. "I. What? No. What? No. There's no way- no." The guardian stopped and took a deep breath, and pressed his hands flatly against each other. "Look, I appreciate your... Inquisitive nature in this regard. But the very idea that even two of you would have come from the same world is patently ludicrous."

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 16, 2020, 08:34:39 am »

: "Is it?"
: "You yourself said that your summoning method did the selecting. Therefore, it isn't random. It's entirely possible that your method may have hung around on a certain world that happened to produce a number of individuals that meet its criteria."
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 73