Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 116105 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2020, 06:47:20 pm »

Why do the graphics now look like garbage?

The font, I assume? They switched from unicode as the primary font to terminus, which looks bolder and kinda gives me a vague hint of Comic Sans vibe.

Gotta fix it either config/fonts.json, data/fontdata.json, or in one case moving an entire font file into the font folder. Like three different solutions have all come up on the reddit, and it seems for some people only one of those solutions will work, I still

It's kinda weird and dumb that default font isn't an option in the options menu in-game, but font size and proportion (another thing you can tweak in fontdata.json) is. Especially when they're gonna pick an inherently bolder font as the default, which is...well, I guess it's a case of trading a normal font that might give farsighted people eye fatigue for one that'll give EVERYONE eye fatigue.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2020, 04:08:20 am »

Or are you referring to the tileset? Some time ago the tileset that was the basis for most other tileset was shown to contain stolen pictures. Since the guy who assembled it is no longer around to clarify which graphics are made by him and which are taken from a third party they decided to clear the set to be sure. This also means that the many other graphic sets built upon that one had their core removed (or was also removed entirely), if I understand things correctly.

I'm not sure how much that side of the game has recovered since then, as I've only been playing with Erk's under-development tileset which isn't yet packed with the game itself.
Love, scriver~

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2020, 01:08:14 pm »

I'm not sure how much that side of the game has recovered since then, as I've only been playing with Erk's under-development tileset which isn't yet packed with the game itself.

They've since added it to the repo, and been working on completing it.

I'd give it a good tinkering with and even toy around with adding sprites via mod_tileset, but DF modding has distracted me.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2020, 06:08:58 pm »

Fonts are looking weird right now because of a glitch that is messing up which font displays and what is used as a fallback. There's already a fix pr'd. Terminus bold is not and was never intended to be a default font.

(Edit: my bad, apparently certain parties wanted to return to terminus bold, which was the font before unicode support, but were very hastily vetoed by the rest of the dev team.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:40:42 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2020, 09:44:38 pm »

I was talking about the tileset.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2020, 10:25:02 pm »

Ah, the tileset default has been retrodays since a few months back when we found out one of the tiles was pirated (and unsurprisingly, later found out many more were too). The pirated stuff was violating our sharing license and we had to pull it.

If retrodays hurts your eyes though, UltiCa now ships in demo form with the game and looks pretty good. It still has a lot of filler tiles but I'm upgrading it every few days.

AllOfThem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2020, 05:14:06 am »

> Fonts are looking weird right now because of a glitch that is messing up which font displays and what is used as a fallback. There's already a fix pr'd. Terminus bold is not and was never intended to be a default font

But I don't understand... Randomdragon said it was done on purpose to hurt people, so which one is it? Did they lie??

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2020, 02:14:06 pm »

> Fonts are looking weird right now because of a glitch that is messing up which font displays and what is used as a fallback. There's already a fix pr'd. Terminus bold is not and was never intended to be a default font

But I don't understand... Randomdragon said it was done on purpose to hurt people, so which one is it? Did they lie??

Do you not comprehend "being a smartass" or something? Even I would only regard "thinking that a bold font looks good as the default" as just poor sense of aesthetics, not anything really malicious.

Now, if they'd picked Comic Sans then I'd say they were doing it to hurt players. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2020, 09:32:11 am »

Do you not comprehend "being a smartass" or something? Even I would only regard "thinking that a bold font looks good as the default" as just poor sense of aesthetics, not anything really malicious.

Now, if they'd picked Comic Sans then I'd say they were doing it to hurt players. XP

Bad joke incoming
Bad joke below
Bad joke spoilered for your protection.  If you open the spoiler, you acknowledge that it is in fact a joke.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bad joke has been submitted, please continue about your day.  Thank you, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2020, 10:10:23 am »

Obviously if we were going to choose a nice graphical font we'd go with papyrus.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2020, 11:51:20 am »

I propose Wingdings.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2020, 12:13:13 pm »

Bold. Italicized wingdings.

With strikethrough and underline.

AND GLOW

✋︎⧫︎🕯︎⬧︎ ♌︎♏︎♋︎◆︎⧫︎♓︎♐︎◆︎●︎✏︎

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:51 pm »

It's beautiful!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »

without joking, the glowing fonts would work well with some specific monster or radiation stuff

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »

Okay yes, Satan. I would love to see the kinda of trauma making the font Papyrus would inflict on players.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57