Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 5 - Final Phase)  (Read 19990 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 4 - Design Phase)
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2020, 06:25:31 pm »

Taking a look, it seems I'll need to look more deeply into fan-drive options.

Also, turbofans? I was thinking more electricity driven fans. With the turbine powering them.

hmm.
The first screw-driven propeller steamship introduced in America was on a ship built by Thomas Clyde in 1844 and many more ships and routes followed.

Hmm, probably switch over to that, to be more in line with the time. It's closer to aircraft, but knowledge of those hadn't actually changed much over a 100 years. And there isn't a huge difference between it and sea propellers, both move a fluid. Thankfully we only require thrust, rather than enough speed for liftoff.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2020, 09:15:29 pm »

Quote from: Just getting the missed ideas
Military
Railwalker: ()
Reaper Gatling Gun: (1) Stirk
War-Airship: ()
Angwilin, 'Iron Birds': ()
Skyship: ()
Sky Carrier: (1) TricMagic
Support Balloons: ()

Civilian
Eclipse Engine: (2) Stirk, TricMagic
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2020, 03:08:54 pm »

As a design that is more typical of me, though likely not a this turn thing.

Sky Tear

The Sky Tear is unique in how it handles the approach to flight. Using Sky Steel and numerous Sunseed heating, along with plenty of plastic, metal, and furniture. It's a cylinder which has a shaft in the middle, with the shaft connected to the greater cylinder body. And within this shaft are fans which pull air into itself, and travel out the back, powered with Eclipse Engines.

4 Fans rest within a Sky Tear. And the outer body of the cylinder is balanced so it remains steady, not turning, with weight near the bottom. Other than that, bays are in the sides, as well as it's heavy artillery near the top  and bottom of the curve which it can fire down on that below it. And throughout are Anti-air guns for point defense.

Atop this is a basic runway for faster aircraft to launch from, which has diagonal elevators to bring them down and up from the bays.

The Skytear is a unique design, being 300 feet long and having a diameter of 140 Feet, with 30 feet of that being the core where the fans reside to suck in air for propulsion. It is also rather expensive given the number of resources it uses, but effective at multiple roles from bombardment to aircraft carrier, as well as transport thanks to a flat bottom and density manipulation.

Otherwise known as an idea that is a bit insane and likely too expensive to be anything but NE. Sensors and cameras are included of course. And it is pretty well armored, and armed, though it has a big weak point that it protects.

Lightning Generator

Etroa has a very different idea about 'electric batteries'. By placing a cleaved Sunseed against a cleaved Moonseed, heat flows from the Sunseed to the Moonseed. This creates sparks of electricity. By placing a divider between them, and insulating the entire thing, you have a battery. Once it has been linked up to an active circuit, the battery will have a charge run through the divider, which triggers the heat-cold transfer. Which produces electricity.

Your standard Lightning Generator, the size of a can, lasts for around a year before the Sunseed and Moonseed equalize, rendering them inert. Less under heavy power draws.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:50:09 pm by TricMagic »

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2020, 09:13:03 pm »

Quote from: Self-Contained Turbine Apparatus

The SCTA is a sunseed-powered steam turbine system designed to provide continuous power with limited human intervention. A new sunseed interaction is used to control the heating effects of the sunseed heating elements and recapture the steam after it is fed through the turbine stage. This allows us to create a sunseed power plant far more compact and efficient than what came before it.

The reactor core producing steam for the SCTA contains an array of sunseed heating rods and “control” rods made from a material known as Olszewskium, a sunseed alloy that can cool water that comes into contact with. By raising and lowering these control rods into the reactor assembly, we can change the extent to which they counteract the sunseeds’ heating effect and therefore the temperature of the water inside the coolant loop.

As an absolute last resort, on larger installations there is a man known as the SCRAM (or “Safety Control Rod Axe Man”) who is responsible for initiating emergency reactor shutdowns by forcibly disconnecting the control rod adjustment machinery. This causes gravity to pull the control rods into the reactor all the way, shutting down the assembly.

Steam resulting from this process is then used to spin a turbine before being fed into a condensation chamber where it is turned back into water with the help of Olszewskium. A compressor stage powered by the turbine shaft is used to keep water flowing through the system after it is recaptured by the condensation stage.
---

Olszewskium, also known as sunic alloy No. 7074:

Olszewskium is a special purpose steel alloy containing zinc, chromium, and sunseed, currently known for its ability to lower the temperature of water it is in contact with without actually producing ice. This ability combined with its resistance to corrosion and erosion made it ideal for steam recovery and as a regulator for the sunseed-water interaction.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:23:12 pm by Vostok »

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2020, 09:16:17 pm »

Quote from: Just getting the missed ideas
Military

Civilian
SCTA: (1) Vostok

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2020, 12:45:41 am »

Flying Frigates
As the eras drag on, the Skytear-lightened galleon became the inexplicably lightweight tall ship, then the ship-of-the-line with heavy guns all over the place, lightened again by Skytears. Recently, however, we've seen the success of the "big frigate" as a way to fight an enemy superior in the number of heavy ships they can bring to bear, and the advent of steam power to allow such ships, and more recently ships of the line, to sail without wind.

But for Etroa, sailing without the wind is not really enough. We could go further, armed with the knowledge of how to fuse Skytears with cannons or wooden beams. We had mastered steam power, or at least knew enough to make much more reliable and powerful steam engines than most could. This led to the development of frigates that grew steadily faster than our enemies. Faster, and lighter....until it was realized that they could become no lighter, or they'd be useless on the sea. That was not the end, however, because native Skytears will float, when heated sufficiently, and if one thing was plentiful in an Etroan warship it was steam power and Sunseeds.

Sunseed boilers were positioned to vent steam past cages holding Skytears, such that when water was poured in superheated steam would heat the Skytears and send the ships aloft. Actual flight, of entire warships, was achieved, though at great expense and with mostly the smaller frigates that had all their major structural components seasoned with Skytears, as well as their cannons alloyed with molten Skytears as well (no mean feat, given how tricky it is to actually get a Skytear to melt before it floats away). When flying in this manner, Etroan warships could only go as the wind willed, and thus the ability was saved for desperate times or very favorable weather. Turning the sails about the masts could allow for some basic steering, but fine control could also not be counted on. However, something about seeing the warship you wish to fight rise up out of the water and turn, if rather ponderously, to aim her guns at you from a height your own guns cannot reach, convinced many would-be attackers that the battle they had sought was not one they wished to fight.

Quote from: Votebox, Confused Yet Again
Military
Flying Frigates: (1) Madman

Civilian
SCTA: (2) Vostok, Madman

Well that took far too long to write up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2020, 08:22:26 am »

Still don't really like SCTA, mostly cause it will forever lock moonseeds away. If we don't get them now when we are about to enter the ages of steam, when will we?

As for Flying Frigates, they're more floating frigates. Rising into the air has the issue of being a bigger target, especially if your only movement option is tied to wind. the fact it also offers no new 'Real Reactions' is also a major minus. I remind you of the Number of Reactions Askia has developed, and that the Skytear cages could just be replaced with Sky Iron beams.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2020, 10:29:51 am »

Still don't really like SCTA, mostly cause it will forever lock moonseeds away. If we don't get them now when we are about to enter the ages of steam, when will we?
It has a material that does exactly the same thing as "moonseeds".

As for Flying Frigates, they're more floating frigates. Rising into the air has the issue of being a bigger target, especially if your only movement option is tied to wind. the fact it also offers no new 'Real Reactions' is also a major minus. I remind you of the Number of Reactions Askia has developed, and that the Skytear cages could just be replaced with Sky Iron beams.
1. Rising into the air makes ships functionally impossible to shoot in this time period: cannons do not have enough elevation to hit a ship that has suddenly started to fly. It also doesn't increase the meaningful target profile by all that much.
2. It does in fact serve to specify a reaction with Skytears by which we make everyday materials lighter. I'll clarify that in the proposal if necessary.
3. No, because "Sky Iron" is just extremely lightweight iron, is it not? The Skytear "cages" are simply a way to control the buoyancy of the vessel (i.e., how much the ship floats) directly. More heat = more lift, etc.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2020, 11:25:19 am »

It has a material that does exactly the same thing as "moonseeds".

2. It does in fact serve to specify a reaction with Skytears by which we make everyday materials lighter. I'll clarify that in the proposal if necessary.

For the Moonseeds, his is an alloy, a mix of metal and Sunseeds. While Moonseeds only require Sunseeds. Moonseeds meanwhile, mostly act as an opposite to Sunseeds.

Clarification would be good, yeah.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2020, 11:33:10 am »

And the "alloy" is not going to be any costlier or cheaper than the "moonseeds". And the alloy he's proposing...cools things. Literally exactly like Moonseeds, except without silly temperature requirements or repeated insistence that his way is the best possible and that if we don't try his thing NOW we'll never do it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2020, 11:43:59 am »

And the "alloy" is not going to be any costlier or cheaper than the "moonseeds". And the alloy he's proposing...cools things. Literally exactly like Moonseeds, except without silly temperature requirements or repeated insistence that his way is the best possible and that if we don't try his thing NOW we'll never do it.

Honestly the SCTA and Eclipse Engine are identical in every way that matters. They may as well be a same thing, if it came to making a compromise the only thing I could possibly suggest is mixing their names.

The Flying Frigates are also just the War Airship/Sky Carrier with wind power instead of attempts at steam propulsion. All your arguments against them also apply to your ship :V

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2020, 12:39:34 pm »

?

Eclipse Engine is self contained of variable, and is it's own thing. SCTA seems to be a Turbine that is big enough to need SCRAM.

The Fly Frigates have no means of movement in the air, so they are more Floating Frigrates. Sky Carrier uses steam-powered screws to turn propellers meanwhile. Other than that, not much difference.

The Eclipse Engine will end up being used in a plane as is at some point. And cars and trains and turbines for boats. Not so sure SCTA says the same thing.

I'll note the steam propulsion bit is untrue, I'm simply using the steam-powered screws that are a technology in this era for ships.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:46:52 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2020, 12:43:00 pm »

?

Eclipse Engine is self contained of variable, and is it's own thing. SCTA seems to be a Turbine that is big enough to need SCRAM.

SCTA is explicitly a self contained unit, and the emergency shutdown isn't really size dependent.

The Fly Frigates have no means of movement in the air, so they are more Floating Frigrates. Sky Carrier uses steam-driven screws to turn propellers meanwhile. Other than that, not much difference.

They're wind powered. There is still wind in the sky >_>

When flying in this manner, Etroan warships could only go as the wind willed, and thus the ability was saved for desperate times or very favorable weather. Turning the sails about the masts could allow for some basic steering, but fine control could also not be counted on.

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »

SCTA seems to be a Turbine that is big enough to need SCRAM.
Correction: SCTA is a turbine type. It comes in different sizes depending on what you're actually using it for (marine propulsion is different from power station which is in turn different from steam locomotive). The design just allows for SCRAM so that when you do build a hueg one there's a way to pull the plug if you have to.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2020, 02:33:23 pm »

As far as I know, Turbines have yet to be invented? If they had been, I would attach that to the Eclipse Engine. Or be fine with SCTA. It's the creating Turbines which I am avoiding.

Eclipse Engines run off a very basic premises, which can be modified with ease for whatever your are making, as the basic idea is heating and cooling systems and continual flow.

The Eclipse Engine does not have an attached design, but as the invention that Represents Etroan Industrialization, it will sink it's way into everything we do in the future.

Main point is that turbines haven't been created, so I created an engine that can be used for anything steam powered into the future.

Ithil, & the Aiwenor

Ithil is created by Skytear powder in an enclosed(and anchored) foundry. Molten Copper is then added into the mix. This causes Skytear's natural reaction to change, it's density no longer changing when hot or cold, which allows it to be forged normally. Instead, when Ithil is fed with electricity, it's effective density changes, causing it to lift. The more electricity poured in, the greater the lifting force. Not only that, Ithil is highly resistant to change of shape, only being able to be molded when molten, to the point that weight can't actually flatten it's surface tension, which repeats throughout the entire structure.(Though it can crack from cannon fire)

This effectively makes it highly efficient to use in Lighter than Air craft. By setting a bar at the top of the craft and shorter ones at the sides, then feeding them, we can easily lift the aircraft into the sky.

Using this, along with the Steam Turbine on board to generate electricity, we built the Aiwenor, 80 meters long and roughly 16 meters in diameter. Comprised of aluminium paneling in an oval shape, with iron beams for supports and structure, and wood for furniture and rooms, it uses the electricity the turbine produces to move the propellers at the backside of it. Along with fins on the sides for control, it could make a solid 30 knots, and carry a lot of cargo and passengers.

Cannons were installed in the sides meant to fire down, using explosive shells, making them deadly bombardment in a time where planes did not exist. Ithil could theoretically carry tons upon tons of weight so long as enough Ithil was used, and/or enough electricity was supplied to it. Their role in bombardment and scouting from far above typical weapons can be said to have changed the face of warfare. Worst of all, they were very tough to take down even when you managed to hit them due to not using any form of gas for lift.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:41:12 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19