Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 425121 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1080 on: March 16, 2020, 08:49:51 pm »

Some areas in the US have been asked to shelter in place, only leaving the residence for absolute necessities.  I think that, if you can stock up, you should do so before this order spreads to other areas.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:00 pm »

A lot of the hoarding is done by people who intend to resell it. Price control helps there. Well, sure there's panic buyers. And then you have that guy who thought he was clever buying 17,700 bottles of sanitizer.

Toilet paper is... probably not that valuable. But it's being overbought by people who think it can be pushed easily for a profit.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »

Some areas in the US have been asked to shelter in place, only leaving the residence for absolute necessities.  I think that, if you can stock up, you should do so before this order spreads to other areas.

Yeah, friend of mine said the Bay Area in San Francisco is closing down completely tomorrow. Only grocery stores, hospitals, gas stations, other essentials are staying open. Only restaurants that do delivery or carry out can stay open.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:18 pm »

I haven't lost my job to covid yet, but it's getting closer than I'd like. All of you should keep an eye open for layoff flags and "temporary" closings that turn permanent, especially since we've got the lovely combination of a plague with what's starting to look like the final crash of the neoliberal world order.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:16 pm »

Well, quarantine procedures have been ratcheded up at work now.

All residents are basically confined to their rooms for the duration of the epidemic. Employees being screened for symptoms at the front desk before they can clock in. Fun times.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 16, 2020, 09:54:07 pm »

I have to wonder how long it'll be until the people enforcing quarantine procedures get lazy with it. Even in hospitals during normal times, it seems like only the best of the best bother to stay consistent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 16, 2020, 10:31:13 pm »

Y'know, something occurred to me. Something that could basically completely eliminate voting as a disease transmission vector, even the potential for transference via mail.

Voting app. Also just calling it in. Can't catch the plague from a voting site or delivered ballot if you don't get either! I think we never thought of the plague-kills-your-gramma angle when discussing issues with electronic vs. physical voting...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 16, 2020, 10:43:58 pm »

VERY easy to tamper with though, which is why it is not done.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:17 pm »

We've only had one case a few hours away, so only the Wal-Mart here is cleared out. Today people were starting to dig into the medium- and high-priced stores, your Krogers and Safeways and such. TP and paper towels were obliterated, but there was a surprising amount of nonperishable food, and bread and fresh meat looked practically normal. I suspect that'll change soon.

I mean, I have to stay home as much as possible anyway, due to my condition and treatments. But in a way it works out because that means we already have more face masks, gloves and sanitizer than your average bear.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:44 pm »

I am of the opinion that after a week or two store stocks will improve.  They may not be back to normal, you may have to buy store brand instead of charmin or whatever, but I feel you'll be able to get things again. 
  • Corporate is assuring us that production of the 'essentials' has gone into overdrive, claiming to have struck temporary deals with other producers to increase supply as well.
  • To keep employees safe they are not planning on increasing staffing levels, however stores will close an hour early to allow staff to stock and clean the store, things currently almost impossible to do while open. (As a night manager, I can vouch for that fact)
  • We are also encouraged to start a seniors hour in the store early in the day, and to discourage other shoppers from shopping during that hour.

(this was all posted in the inter store email.  When opened the program essentially says to not post anything that is confidential, so I assume this is all safe to say and I won't be sued)

Not sure how the hell they intend to do that 3rd part.  But that all sounds like good news.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:49:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 17, 2020, 12:04:38 am »

Post rush in China, it was like two days before supermarkets were totally restocked - except face masks and sanitizer. People rush bought bottled water, instant noodles and frozen dumplings. But the stores restocked and presumably people felt a little embarrassed over fighting tooth and nail over bags of rice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 17, 2020, 03:29:47 am »

A lot of the hoarding is done by people who intend to resell it.
I doubt that. Most hoarding is done out of of sheer irrational panic.
Ofcourse there are some really nasty fucks that hoard for profit, but at least I hope those form a small minority.
They should be caught and put in pillories at store entrances.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 17, 2020, 03:32:04 am »

I am of the opinion that after a week or two store stocks will improve.  They may not be back to normal, you may have to buy store brand instead of charmin or whatever, but I feel you'll be able to get things again. 
  • Corporate is assuring us that production of the 'essentials' has gone into overdrive, claiming to have struck temporary deals with other producers to increase supply as well.
Try 5-6 weeks. I'm paid every 2 weeks, and it's gotten gradually worse over both my last pay cycles. I thought the same "1-2 weeks and it should be back to normal" thing, and now it's over 3 weeks and the situation is only going south day by day.

I mentioned the curry i make and how most of the ingredients couldn't be bought. That's now extended to additional products in just the last day and a half.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:33:36 am by Reelya »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 17, 2020, 03:40:49 am »

A lot of the hoarding is done by people who intend to resell it.
I doubt that. Most hoarding is done out of of sheer irrational panic.
Ofcourse there are some really nasty fucks that hoard for profit, but at least I hope those form a small minority.
They should be caught and put in pillories at store entrances.

I don't think people should hoard supplies during disasters, but people tend to do that anyway.  I went to two grocery stores today, but I wasn't able to find tissues or any paper supplies at all. 

The people acting "rationally" and living closer to day-to-day are having more trouble than the irrational hoarders, who have what they need.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 17, 2020, 03:46:07 am »

That queue in front of the store... heh, not used to it. Apparently we're limited to a certain number of entries. Which is good else people would zerg rush it.

No bread, flour stores are almost empty fine, no eggs, oil... there's a bit but it's been heavily bought too.

My supermarket's supply is better than I expected. Wonder how long will this last, since this is only day one. Not sure how often it is supplied though I expect supply chains to be increased for several foodstuffs.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:11:48 am by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 459