Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 424076 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2310 on: April 10, 2020, 03:21:43 pm »

I think that's highly debatable. Sometimes you can't fix everything nature throws at you, you just have to bear it, get through it and adapt as a species.

If someone tries to give me something to fix one problem but creates another permanent problem, my answer is going to be "fuck no."
Everything has side effects.

Every medication that you had over your life.

It's all a matter of how you stack the odds really

Everything has side effects. But most don't have permanent side effects or side effects like Narcolepsy.
I guess you've never checked the unusual side effects section of the medication you consume, then...  :P

You don't have to check side effects of your medicines when you don't take any.
Ever. In your life. None whatsoever.

Not even for a headache
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 10, 2020, 03:24:17 pm »

I think that's highly debatable. Sometimes you can't fix everything nature throws at you, you just have to bear it, get through it and adapt as a species.

If someone tries to give me something to fix one problem but creates another permanent problem, my answer is going to be "fuck no."
Everything has side effects.

Every medication that you had over your life.

It's all a matter of how you stack the odds really

Everything has side effects. But most don't have permanent side effects or side effects like Narcolepsy.
I guess you've never checked the unusual side effects section of the medication you consume, then...  :P

You don't have to check side effects of your medicines when you don't take any.

I'd argue that the side effects of being taken off my PTSD meds are unpleasant.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 10, 2020, 03:24:54 pm »

If somebody doesn't take medication as a general rule, something related to comfort like an headache probably shouldn't be the go to example (assuming it isn't proper migraines)
It would be better to give examples such an infection, or a bad flu or something serious enough to actually require medicines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 10, 2020, 03:43:00 pm »

I don't even take aspirin, by and large. I rarely get headaches bad enough I'm willing to take something for it.

The last medication I took was prednisone for sinus inflammation, because I had no other choice since surgery didn't solve the problem. And I'm well aware of the effects, so I take it literally only when my nose starts bleeding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 10, 2020, 04:12:35 pm »

-snip-
I'd argue that the side effects of being taken off my PTSD meds are unpleasant.
Same, but for suicidal ideation and severe depression.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 10, 2020, 04:21:38 pm »

I don't even take aspirin, by and large. I rarely get headaches bad enough I'm willing to take something for it.

The last medication I took was prednisone for sinus inflammation, because I had no other choice since surgery didn't solve the problem. And I'm well aware of the effects, so I take it literally only when my nose starts bleeding.
Right. So there ARE situarions where you balance risk-benefit and decide to risk taking medication.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 10, 2020, 04:34:30 pm »

Yea I mean to be fair, I was prescribed a shitton of meds as a kid, probably triggered a predisposed or non-predisposed condition for me, which was schizoaffective disorder. What I'm getting at though, is that yea, a lot of medications, even when taken over the age of 18, have side-effects. That's just life. Sometimes, depending on the type of medication and it's chemistry, it can have permanent effects on the body. But does the benefit outweigh the risk? Once again, that's the question. I have underlying conditions and if I catch coronavirus I could/will probably die as a result, even as a young person. So I'd rather take the vaccine and get narcolepsy which can be treated by a psychiatrist whom I already go to for my meds. That's my take.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 10, 2020, 06:34:34 pm »

For me it depends on a risk.

1/10 chance of narcolepsy? Nope.

1/1000 Probably no, but person at more risk probably would take it?

1/10 000 000 No problem.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 10, 2020, 06:49:50 pm »

Not even for a headache
I'm somewhat with nenjin on this one. I've never had to take painkillers for a headache. Which is not to say I haven't had an ache in my skull (or indeed in other places in my head), but I don't think I've ever felt the need to plink-plink-fizz or take anything in pill form for that.  (Migraine sufferers can hate me now. "Migraine" sufferers, too, if they want, but they're apparently already being hated upon by the first lot, for appropriating something they don't truly understand.)

When I had an awkward wisdom tooth out (the second attempt, as the dentist couldn't get it out properly and I had to have a hospital appointment to slice it up a bit and remove the bits) I was told "just take your regular painkiller, when you get home" to cover when the injections wore off.

Cue me, walking into a pharmacist at the station with "I have just had a tooth out, what do you recommend?" written on a pad, given I was still too insensitive of cotton-packed mouth to articulate anything in words. I probably could find that pack at the back of a cupboard, hardly touched and years out of date now, as I didn't need more than one or two (precautionarily) before I decided I could live with it.

Prior to that, it would have been my appendectomy. Dutifully finished off my ABs, but not sure I continued any of the discharge-supplied painkillers for more than a day or two.

Other than what had been given me by medical(/dental) staff, including for childhood broken bones, torn ligaments and other interesting wounds, I'm not at all too sure how much painkiller I've self-administered. I'm fairly sure it's an atypically low quantity, given popular culture references to casual use of aspirin/etc.

Though I did pick up a packet of paracetemol about a month back. I was shopping, saw conspicuously empty shelves for some products in that part of the store but it looked like they had plenty of the kind I picked up and I decided it would be a guilt-free "just in case".

I'm thinking I should have got some hay-fever med, though. I normally avoid it unless it gets really annoying (not sure I used any over the last two or three years) but it seems a good idea to try to not confuse the spring/summer-season condition with the one this thread is about, this year. If I can help it. I can feel the roof-of-mouth tingle coming on, the usual herald.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:55:47 pm by Starver »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 10, 2020, 06:57:40 pm »

Ladies and gents, we have plague bingo! Liberty finally found one of their covid cases, so the official county level infection of florida is now completely 100% total. There is not a single county in the state without confirmed cases of the crow plague.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 10, 2020, 06:58:49 pm »

Right. So there ARE situarions where you balance risk-benefit and decide to risk taking medication.

Sure. With well-tested, well-documented, widely used drugs with a well-established set of side effects so I can make a reasonable cost-benefit analysis, and use it to the least degree its effective.

With anything involving Covid though, none of that is going to exist for a while. I didn't take anything produced for SARS, Zika, West Nile, or many of the other infectious diseases that made their way around the world. I'm not going to treat Covid any differently. Unless it's literally mandated by state and federal governments like the Polio vaccine was, and even THEN I'd wait and see for what the side effects actually are. People are so anxious and amped up right now and looking for anything to deal with the pandemic, it seems like a great time for something untested and unproven to get deployed anyways.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:05:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 10, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »

I mean. As long as you're not living or working with the elderly or other high risk individuals, I guess it's whatever?

Didn't you say you smoke, though, nenj? Whatever the calculus involved is, it's going to tilt pretty significantly towards whatever vaccine or other solution gets produced if you got lungs you've been fucking over with tobacco. Crow plague's been notably fucking people with prior lung conditions, smoking history very much among them :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:08 pm »

As far as side-effects are concerned, BTW, I can imagine that Google and Apple's development sounds scarier as a future baked-in capability than it would be useful for me in its intended use.

(I don't actually use Bluetooth for anything, so it's off. In the past when I have used it I only turned it on when needed for that purpose. Ditto NFC, Wifi, GPS and even MobileData, unless I just neglect to turn them off by accident, though those seem largely irrelevent to this concept.)

The only way I'm likely to be tracked for infection-worthy proximity is probable good old-fashioned cell-tower location inferences (not sure that can pin down close enough) in which case for me the only info I'd get would be when the telecoms company(/ies) tallying up likely suspects then probably texting any that need to be texted. Which is bog-standard Big Brother stuff that I already knew was possible (even if it might not be practical).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:46 pm »

Ladies and gents, we have plague bingo! Liberty finally found one of their covid cases, so the official county level infection of florida is now completely 100% total. There is not a single county in the state without confirmed cases of the crow plague.
Yay  So does that mean all Floridians get a prize?  I'm currently still enjoying my 'prize' of a 100% free unpaid vacation at home while fighting with a nonfunctional unemployment website.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 10, 2020, 07:27:45 pm »

The only prize we get is more crow plague. It's not a great one.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 459