Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423801 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #330 on: February 26, 2020, 08:13:26 pm »

You get three guesses, and any of them that's anything except "The Republican Party" don't count.
yes, but which one proposed it, and which ones supported it?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:47 pm »

Looks like we got our first confirmed case in the US that didn't travel or come in contact with any known carriers. Someone like that seems to have tested positive in cali.
CDC must have loosened testing criteria, because they would have never found this fella otherwise cuz he didn’t step foot in Wuhan
Reckon a lot of people getting sick internationally have never stepped foot in Wuhan by now.
Iran and Italy seems to have started their own parties.

Since Iran isn't really doing a quarantine, you can bet the party bus is doing its tour around the middle east, at the very least.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 26, 2020, 08:36:12 pm »

Looks like we got our first confirmed case in the US that didn't travel or come in contact with any known carriers. Someone like that seems to have tested positive in cali.
CDC must have loosened testing criteria, because they would have never found this fella otherwise cuz he didn’t step foot in Wuhan
Reckon a lot of people getting sick internationally have never stepped foot in Wuhan by now.
Iran and Italy seems to have started their own parties.

Since Iran isn't really doing a quarantine, you can bet the party bus is doing its tour around the middle east, at the very least.
Did you intend on doing a rhyme at the present time?

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:49 pm »

It's actually quite surprising that US has so few infected by now.

The night before Wuhan was locked down many local people fled the city (still a minority compared to the whole local population), and some of them went to Shanghai and then to US by plane. The trafffic from Wuhan to US is definitely several times larger than either to Italy or to Iran.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 26, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »

The night before Wuhan was locked down many local people fled the city (still a minority compared to the whole local population), and some of them went to Shanghai and then to US by plane. The trafffic from Wuhan to US is definitely several times larger than either to Italy or to Iran.
I would not be suprised if there are way more infected in the US, but they can't get tested because it costs money.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 26, 2020, 09:02:22 pm »

I would not be suprised if there are way more infected in the US, but they can't get tested because it costs money.
Tis the season for flu.  Such a wonderful time. 
Sick people would just stay home for a few days(or still go to work.)  Maybe see a doctor later if it persists after those few day.  (At least that is how my family and I operate in the US.)

And no, there were no intentions of any rhyming on my part.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 26, 2020, 09:04:15 pm »

The US has so low numbers because The CDC botched the tests distributed to individual states, so there’s no real diagnostic capability.
The CDC only accepts tests if the patient has Wuhan travel history or close contact with known cases
Only like three other states have independent testing capability. Which is why we see the Cali case today
Symptomatic people with history from Italy and Iran are not being tested elsewhere.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 26, 2020, 09:08:30 pm »

As Singapore, where population is much denser and public traffic is more relied on, has managed so far without any drastic measures, I think Europe and US will be probably doing OK.

edit:
Quite a few deaths in Wuhan were actually caused by the lateral damage of the quarantine. A hasty quarantine without good management can kill people.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:12:18 pm by coalboat »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 26, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »

Don't forget fear. Fear can kill plenty in its own right.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 26, 2020, 11:59:33 pm »

You get three guesses, and any of them that's anything except "The Republican Party" don't count.
yes, but which one proposed it, and which ones supported it?

Look at how trump is as concerned about CV as he is about the rest of his personal health.  In over words, he's going to barely fund aid for it and meanwhile stick his head in the sand and hope the plague passes uneventfully.

Meanwhile tons of americans won't be able to afford help, much less PTO to even quarantine themselves.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2020, 04:54:29 am »

Also hey the CDC recently got significantly defunded

[Citation Needed]

I haven't heard anything about Congress actually approving that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2020, 07:13:22 am »

Trump is a source of enteraining coronavirus news. He's taking personal credit for the lack of cases in the US now. And then straight away he announces Mike Pence is now the fall guy, so if cases spike up, it's Pence's fault.

EDIT: Trump's also calling concern about the virus left-wing fake news.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608
Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape!

Also hey the CDC recently got significantly defunded

[Citation Needed]

I haven't heard anything about Congress actually approving that.

Googled around:
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-cuts-programs-responsible-for-fighting-coronavirus-2020-2

In 2018, for instance, the CDC cut 80% of its efforts to prevent global disease outbreaks because it was running out of money. Ultimately, the department went from working in 49 countries to just 10.

Here are some other actions the Trump administration undertook to dismantle government-spending programs related to fighting the spread of global diseases, according to Foreign Policy:

Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.
    Eliminating the US government’s $US30 million Complex Crises Fund.
    Reducing national health spending by $US15 billion.
    Consistently attacking Mark Green, the director of the US Agency for International Development.

If you want more, do a time-ranged Google search for "trump defunded CDC" between 2016 - 2019.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/24/15684750/cdc-reaction-trump-public-health-cuts
The president’s latest budget request, which he sent to Congress on Tuesday, would excise $1.2 billion from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s nearly one-fifth of the total budget for the nation’s public health authority, part of a series of non-defense cuts that are meant to balance hikes in military spending.

Later articles show that the actual cut was $1.4 billion out of the $7 billion dollar budget.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:34:58 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:11 am »

Why is Trump against protection from global diseases?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:20 am »

You're making a categorical mistake here. You're imagining yourself in his place and trying to understand his decision making process. You have to understand this is guy who drops missiles on people's heads, killing both the intended target and unintended people, and then laughs about it.

He doesn't actually care if normal people die, as long as he and his are safe in their little walled fortress. These guys will slash public hospital funding so they can give bigger private hospital contracts to their rich cronies, and they fully well know thousands of people will die in agony because of it. How could they not know? They don't care. You're just poor peons to them, they only care about power and wealth. If some puny people have to suffer, it's no loss. Poor people aren't important, we're better off without them. That's how these people think.

You can't get inside the head of a psychopath or sociopath. A psycho will stab you merely because he enjoys stabbing. "why did you stab me?" isn't the right question. "Why wouldn't I stab you?" thinks the psycho. He finds it amusing to stab you and doesn't care about you. There are a lot of people like this in high level jobs, since people who have a conscience are less likely to choose those career paths.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:47:32 am by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2020, 07:41:56 am »

I'm making some arrangements to travel to the US to see family. According to the O'hare website, the CDC is suggesting Coronavirus isn't contageous while the infected aren't showing symptoms. Suggesting that no ones travel is restricted and that people travelling from China aren't being checked at all, unless from Hubei. I believe this has been proven incorrect a few times over in China. I'm actually going to agree with Tamer these days - I wouldn't be surprised if the US has a huge spike in cases due to this.

This is a good question.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:44:38 am by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 459