Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421449 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2115 on: April 05, 2020, 02:49:32 pm »

Trump: Fauci, what does the counter say about the death toll so far?
Fauci: It's... it's over 9000!
Trump: *crushes a ventilator for some reason probably to fuck over blue state governors* WHAT NINE THOUSAAAAAND?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 05, 2020, 03:40:52 pm »

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital, for he isn't getting any better after having tested positive.
Spokesmen ensure that it's nothing to worry about, he's just admitted for testing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 05, 2020, 04:38:07 pm »

Well, it's obviously not for his sperm count, unless they're trying to establish his upper limit.

(Seriously, though, he's been looking rough on some of the shots of his videolinking-in. He always favoured 'bedraggled' while trying to look 'affably approachable', which probably helped with his philandering as well, but it wasn't that.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 05, 2020, 04:53:25 pm »

Time to roll those dice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 05, 2020, 06:07:53 pm »

You can comfortably say the entire fucking state is infected with the crow plague now :-\
For context, keep in mind that an "entire state" being infected is at a level of bad that we haven't seen yet. Nowhere did a majority of the population get infected nation-wide: not in Italy, nor in New York. Thanks to self isolation, mostly - those measures are working.

If it would really get that bad, we would not be counting the dead in thousands anymore. There would also be no room in any hospital for the vast majority of patients. This is the `steep curve` scenario we need to avoid.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 05, 2020, 06:10:11 pm »

double post deleted

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 05, 2020, 06:35:06 pm »

Oh, sure, the entire population isn't infected. There's just not a single county in the entire state that's realistically lacking an outbreak. It's better like being a mildly symptomatic carrier is better than being on a vent, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 06, 2020, 01:25:27 am »

Some people have decided that they need to destroy the cellphone towers to stop coronavirus. Just what everyone needs with the lockdowns.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/4/21207927/5g-towers-burning-uk-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: April 06, 2020, 01:39:30 am »

Some people have decided that they need to destroy the cellphone towers to stop coronavirus. Just what everyone needs with the lockdowns.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/4/21207927/5g-towers-burning-uk-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-link
.... Listening to the 2 videos in that article.
Maybe sometimes, unmitigated free speech is bad.  Sometimes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 06, 2020, 01:45:54 am »

I think the overall problem there is that truth becomes another popularity contest, and popularity contests haven't proven to be a good way of promoting the best of anything.

That plus the fact that having unlimited ability to filter your inputs means that ideological bubbles form. So, people are self-isolating into bubbles (helped along by algorithms which try and give you more of the stuff that you want to see), and inside each bubble, ideas rise to the top based on pure popularity.

Pretty much every idea on how to fix this has flaws. For example, you could say that every time you view one thing, we pair it with something saying the opposite. But that creates further problems: every evolution video would have to be paired with a creationist video, and every video which mentions the world being round must be paired with a flat-Earth video. And vice-versa. This would break people out of their bubbles, but would create a false equivalency problem along with it - every video saying some true thing would by definition be paired with a video full of lies.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:55:31 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: April 06, 2020, 04:36:34 am »

Meanwhile in China, people are scared to death of foreigners.
Our Volkskrant China correspondent (who has lived in China for many years now and speaks fluent Chinese) writes about taking the train:
"When I entered the train, I was assigned a carriage all to myself.  Any other people in the wagon were asked by the train staff to leave to another carriage, and she heard him say that was because 'the foreigner is dangerous'".
She also has to show her papers nearly everywhere, from train station to shops, to show that she has been quarantined after having been outside the country (in fact, she was double quarantined, 2 weeks when she returned to Belgium (her home country), and again 2 weeks when she returned to China, and she expects to need to be quarantined for a 3d time when she returns to her own home in Beijing).
Her papers are meticulously checked a few times a day, sometimes taking up to 1.5h (when buying a train ticket).

Where when this all started, the world was afraid to let Chinese travellers enter their countries, now it is the other way around, the Chinese are terrified of any foreigners from countries that are coping with corona.

EDIT: Meanwhile in Madrid, an ice skating rink is being used to store the dead, while in Barcelona, parking garages are used to store coffins.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:49:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 06, 2020, 04:48:30 am »

Now people are remobilizing in China, cases are increasing. It coincides with shutting the borders to foreigners. Plus there were a few actual stories of Italians and Americans coming here and being infected. I've had to explain myself just once or twice. But I'm not in a big city these days, so others might have a different experience. Can't blame people for being cautious, and haven't seen anything turn nasty.

On the plus side, I was given a QR code to scan which will show I've been in China for more than 2 weeks - checks passport number. This has been enough to get past any issues. That said, I'll be going to an embassy this week and that might be a whole different beast.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 06, 2020, 04:53:20 am »

I think the overall problem there is that truth becomes another popularity contest, and popularity contests haven't proven to be a good way of promoting the best of anything.

That plus the fact that having unlimited ability to filter your inputs means that ideological bubbles form. So, people are self-isolating into bubbles (helped along by algorithms which try and give you more of the stuff that you want to see), and inside each bubble, ideas rise to the top based on pure popularity.

Pretty much every idea on how to fix this has flaws. For example, you could say that every time you view one thing, we pair it with something saying the opposite. But that creates further problems: every evolution video would have to be paired with a creationist video, and every video which mentions the world being round must be paired with a flat-Earth video. And vice-versa. This would break people out of their bubbles, but would create a false equivalency problem along with it - every video saying some true thing would by definition be paired with a video full of lies.

It also doesn't help that with everybody confined to their homes, there is no escape possible from your online bubble. Under normal circumstances you would be at least somewhat likely to speak to colleagues or other people with different opinions and backgrounds. With the current lockdowns, impossiblity of normal social interactions, and atmosphere of paranoia, one can expect that the influence of conspiracy theories will increase a lot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:56:17 am by Bralbaard »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 06, 2020, 05:33:51 am »

Now people are remobilizing in China, cases are increasing. It coincides with shutting the borders to foreigners. Plus there were a few actual stories of Italians and Americans coming here and being infected. I've had to explain myself just once or twice. But I'm not in a big city these days, so others might have a different experience. Can't blame people for being cautious, and haven't seen anything turn nasty.

On the plus side, I was given a QR code to scan which will show I've been in China for more than 2 weeks - checks passport number. This has been enough to get past any issues. That said, I'll be going to an embassy this week and that might be a whole different beast.

Is there any indication anyone's against the wet markets reopening?

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:23 am »

Be vigilant, citizen. You most certainly can catch viruses over the wireless. They come in through old Windows, but fear not as Apples can hold them at bay.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:39:24 am by thompson »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 459