Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421423 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2520 on: April 19, 2020, 10:57:09 am »

I was mocked on here for worrying about this back in late February and lo and behold I found myself living on the periphery of the worst affected area of the worst affected state in the worst affected county of the COVID crisis  :P

So ‘worry more about the flu’ wasn’t exactly that long ago

The quarantine days are blending together but honestly not much time has passed since the vast majority of people went into lockdown

Yeah, you really did call it. A bit hysteric, I still believe, but you were far more accurate than I was. Sorry for downplaying you so many times in the past, Tamer.

My homestate of Wisconsin plans to stay closed about 3 weeks longer than the states surrounding it. Of course, my facebook is full of people shouting that this is a violation of rights. I guess people want to die. *shrug*

Yeah, but they also held an in-person election despite the certainty it would kill a lot of people. Or because of the certainty.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: April 19, 2020, 11:03:24 am »

I was mocked on here for worrying about this back in late February and lo and behold I found myself living on the periphery of the worst affected area of the worst affected state in the worst affected county of the COVID crisis  :P

So ‘worry more about the flu’ wasn’t exactly that long ago

The quarantine days are blending together but honestly not much time has passed since the vast majority of people went into lockdown

Yeah, you really did call it. A bit hysteric, I still believe, but you were far more accurate than I was. Sorry for downplaying you so many times in the past, Tamer.

My homestate of Wisconsin plans to stay closed about 3 weeks longer than the states surrounding it. Of course, my facebook is full of people shouting that this is a violation of rights. I guess people want to die. *shrug*

Yeah, but they also held an in-person election despite the certainty it would kill a lot of people. Or because of the certainty.

Republicans and conservatives certainly weren’t all that concerned about a virulent pandemic. The governor at least was trying to be sensible and delay it, or at least get everyone an absentee ballot.

One hopes this comes back to bite them in November.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: April 19, 2020, 11:08:39 am »

Well, my home city had a fascist protest against social isolation. Also had large cards with calls for the return of AI-5 (a dictatorship law that basically made things pretty damn bad).

A photographer friend of mine took pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: April 19, 2020, 11:16:12 am »

A quick read through on Wikipedia would imply this means people are protesting in favour of dictatorship and removal of their rights?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: April 19, 2020, 11:17:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's as good a use of pictures as a link as I've come up with.

Edit:
One hopes this comes back to bite them in November.

Ameripol, but that would be more of a threat if there were 2 different sides.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:21:00 am by Iduno »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: April 19, 2020, 11:20:37 am »

In Spain a ranking officer of the Civil Guard (a military police corps... they are anything but civil) openly admitted they were monitoring social media to "minimize criticism of the goverment". He admitted it casually, too. I mean he wasn't criticising it, he took it for granted it was part of his role.
Shortly afterwards the Inner Affairs Minister claimed it had been a "lapsus" on part of the officer.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 19, 2020, 11:31:30 am »

A quick read through on Wikipedia would imply this means people are protesting in favour of dictatorship and removal of their rights?
Yes. They furiously masturbate to the thought of having their rights removed. It's mind-boggling.

Not exactly surprising since 60% of my city voted for the Bozo.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51:39 am »

Yes. They furiously masturbate to the thought of having their rights removed. It's mind-boggling.

If I understand their thought process, it is: You can take away my rights, as long as it hits someone else harder. If someone else is hit harder, that means I'm better than those people. Here is a list of types of people I want to be better than.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 19, 2020, 12:47:35 pm »

But that's basically what Reelya said. His IgM was still positive, so he never seroconverted in the first place. He tested negative foe pcr for four days, then was positive again. It's the same as the other cases: not a reinfection, but prolonged viral DNA shedding.
The authors say it themselves in the discussion  and for what I've seen this is the most common interpretation of these cases.

Given the possibility of recurrently positive SARS-CoV-2 RNA, especially in immunocompromised patients, and the uncertainty of infectivity of recurrently positive patients, the discharged patients should continue to be quarantined for at least 14 days and monitored for SARS-CoV-2 RNA repeatedly, and be wary of becoming a virus carrier and thereby spreading the virus to others.
So the issue is recurrent positivity, more than recurrent infection.

They also talk a lot about the patient being immunocompromised, and this affecting prolonged viral positivity.... while that IS something you do see with immunocompromised patients and other viruses (eg the flu), I'm not really sure why they say the guy is immunocompromised as they dont mention any of the usual suspects in his clinical background. I assume they might mean the lymphocyte counts they did during admission? But it's kind of common to see drops during infections, especially severe ones, and was widely reported as a common finding in covid19🤔.  I'm pretty sure some of the early score tables for ER used it as a potential sign.

Anyway:

These other guys posted a report on pcr positivity a while ago
https://t.co/DA7nyEkSA9?amp=1
It fluctuates up and down. Close to the threshold it creates problems... its an open question whether these guys are infectious too but I dont think anyone wants to risk it.

Corrigenda: with both IgG and IgM he HAS mounted an immune response. I must have been asleep while typing that.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: April 19, 2020, 01:21:36 pm »

Loyal fascist bootlickers assume the draconian law will apply to everyone except themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 19, 2020, 01:52:56 pm »

Well, my home city had a fascist protest against social isolation. Also had large cards with calls for the return of AI-5 (a dictatorship law that basically made things pretty damn bad).

A photographer friend of mine took pictures.

[...]
I didn't actually click whose post it was I was reading, for a moment.  I was expecting the usual kinds of flags you get in the Deep South.  Then realised it was even deeper south than that! ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 19, 2020, 02:10:07 pm »

If I understand their thought process, it is: You can take away my rights, as long as it hits someone else harder. If someone else is hit harder, that means I'm better than those people. Here is a list of types of people I want to be better than.
I think it's related to the whole "I don't like Something. So I'll support anyone that changes absolutely everything in the hope that my Something is no longer an issue." (Or promises to. Or annoys absolutely anyone who likes the Something, or any other non-Something thing regardless.)

Fanatical Somethingelseism.  Which (if you'll excuse an off-topic topicality) is as much a condition that "Giant Meteor 2020" fulfils for some (who were never keen enough on Clinton 2016 to avert the current state of play) as "Trump 2016" fulfilled for others (who may still be content to wait for their 'hero' to enact every last vestige of butthurt they think he's capable of).

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 19, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »

It's a stressful time, but there's no need to get carried away with these sorts of divisive labels and rhetoric. Since he was directly elected it's perfectly understandable for his supporters to claim he embodies the will of the people better than anybody, and it's hardly surprising that anyone trying to reform a deeply broken system may need a few temporary measures to get things back on track (and remove the troublemakers responsible for the crisis in the first place!). It's like that famous poem:

First they went after some other people, and I said nothing or maybe I actually even voted for the guy if we're being totally honest (but who's keeping score),
Then it worked, they stopped, and everything was fine

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 19, 2020, 02:49:30 pm »

It's a stressful time, but there's no need to get carried away with these sorts of divisive labels and rhetoric.
Although I clearly have an opinion, and I know I clearly have an opinion, I did carefully try to maintain balance in that description between those who want some act of fate to topple Trump and those who still want Trump to topple the things the first lot hold dear.  Because I didn't just want to solely ascribe such weird motivations to the faction that I actually think has the weirder motivations.

There are nihilists on both sides, you might say.  And I won't comment any further in this context.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 19, 2020, 03:02:40 pm »

Now the thing you gotta remember about these protests is that, at the end of the day, they're usually pretty small scale (speaking broadly and not just of Brazil). Polls in the US, for instance, show most people, including most republicans, are more worried about places opening too quickly, rather than too slowly. But naturally you only hear from the people upset, because by definition those are the people out-of-doors and protesting. The "Silent Majority" on virus controls is particularly silent nowadays, for obvious reasons.

Hence that one protest in Texas that had dozens show up at Austin. Dozens! A whole 100 people! (Wow!)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 459