Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421435 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2760 on: April 28, 2020, 04:18:25 pm »

This is the COVID thread, not the ameripol thread, y'all.

China handled the response better because, despite trying a cover-up, they have been and are still going hard with lockdowns, sick pay, and dedicated hospitals. This was of course enabled by their authoritarian government - going out was very enforceable against.

By comparison, the US has a scattered, jigsaw puzzle response with no real federal leadership, states continuing allowances of in person church services when other businesses are closed (proven to create infection hotspots), insufficient financial support to the population, and infighting between the feds and the states over medical supplies.

Oh, and we broke a million cases apparently.

Edit: Oh, and also the daily fucking misinformation from our own president.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:20:32 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: April 28, 2020, 04:42:08 pm »

That said, these comments that China is some 1984 hellscape are plain propaganda. China is just a place, and not even a particularly interesting place. The government does little there that the US does not do to its own population, which is admittedly not saying much, but not anything out of the ordinary either.

This is a lie.

See for example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Falun_Gong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_harvesting_from_Falun_Gong_practitioners_in_China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Tibet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_re-education_camps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China

Please stop claiming that USA has the same level of human right abuse to its own population as China. (obviously, USA has multiple ongoing problems but nothing even close to what China is doing)

Sorry for offtopic but this type of lies is irritating. Yes, USA has some human right abuse. Yes, it is much lower than USSR, current Russia or current China.

EDIT: reply to below. (1) "to its own population", I am well aware what they are doing to foreigners, see Iraq. (2) separation children from parent is horrible etc, it is still far away from what China is doing
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 05:18:41 pm by mko »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: April 28, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »

It doesn't even matter that I say this, because you've been well trained not to listen to it and instead fear the dread influence of "The CCP".

The US has concentration camps for children by the way.

If you're going to say that people of the majority demographics and lifestyle are safe in the US and those who aren't are where most of the abuses are, well, same deal in China.

This is exactly the same shit as the wave of bigotry against Muslims that happened after 9/11, based off half-truths stretched into madness and fervor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: April 28, 2020, 04:58:00 pm »

I started to suspect that's a parody news site.

And because it's 2020, naturally the fun joke ironic satire post is actually a link to the neo-nazi equivalent of The Onion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: April 28, 2020, 05:03:21 pm »

Also, if we want a country that handled (and is handling) COVID very well... all you gotta do is look at Vietnam.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: April 28, 2020, 05:21:53 pm »

I didn't vet the site before I posted it. On further review it just seems like shit-postier version of The Onion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: April 28, 2020, 05:55:16 pm »

Semi-related: https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/fbi-raid-at-nsa-employees-home-reveals-over-16000000-dick-pics/
Surname: Wang.

Though it sounds like relatively indiscrimate harvesting of candidate image files. Without some rather dedicated review, classification and sorting I imagine you could only, at best, say that more than about 4 million of those pics were actually semi-related.

(edit: yeah, even though I thought "it was funny", for various meanings of "funny", I probably got fooled more than I just enjoyed 'finding' additional humour in it and the way it was linked. Letting my reply stay, however.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:01:31 pm by Starver »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: April 28, 2020, 05:59:08 pm »

This is exactly the same shit as the wave of bigotry against Muslims that happened after 9/11, based off half-truths stretched into madness and fervor.

And that is exactly the strawmanism that precipitates all the cries of "ANTI-SEMITISM!!" every time someone says maybe it's bad when Israel murders a dozen Palestinians.

I have nothing against the Chinese people. They are the victims at the forefront of the Chinese state's oppression.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:00:48 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: April 28, 2020, 06:02:53 pm »

Sorry for offtopic but this type of lies is irritating. Yes, USA has some human right abuse. Yes, it is much lower than USSR, current Russia or current China.

Fully agree with that, this annoys me as well. But what also annoys me is the narrative that China must be lying about everything, and that China must have millions of Covid death that they are not talking about because it could not possibly be the case that they did a better job at containing the disease than the good old USA is doing (god bless the president).
It is entirely plausible that China did a better job, and all the evidence is pointing in that direction. Despite, or more likely because, all the failings and human rights abuses in their system, China is much better able to keep something like this contained. On top of that they had experience with SARS. No magic or major conspiracy is needed to explain that this was relatively contained in China.

It is clear that western society is at a disadvantage in this situation. We had to wait untill public opinion was ready to accept lockdowns before any drastic action could be taken despite the fact that it was completely obvious that something very bad was happening in china, and as a result we responded too late. Now public opinion may force us to open up the system too soon, whereas china enforced their lockdown to the point where they had all but eleminated the disease within their borders.
On top of that, this crisis is forcing us to keep people confined to their homes, which goes kind of against the whole superior human rights and freedom thing we had going here. The reflex seems to be that if China is doing this rather well, then they must be to blame for all this. This feeds into all the conspiracy theories about engineered viruses, and is not helpful at all, the chinese people are as much a victim of this as we are.

This is also not just China and the US, there are a lot of other countries trying to find a balance, based on their own situation, and experimenting with different rules and restrictions.  Rather than trying to shift the blame or say that others have it all wrong, we can learn a lot from looking at those other approaches and the results. Can we open up the schools without negative effects? Can we open up the shops with restrictions? There is a lot of data out there because countries take different approaches. We have to find our way out of this by learning from eachother, and we must find a way to convince people that the restrictions are needed, and that their rights will be restored when this mess is over.

But it won't be easy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: April 28, 2020, 06:06:46 pm »

And that is exactly the strawmanism that precipitates all the cries of "ANTI-SEMITISM!!" every time someone says maybe it's bad when Israel murders a dozen Palestinians.

I have nothing against the Chinese people. They are the victims at the forefront of the Chinese state's oppression.

I'm not the one taking instruction from the government on what to believe. You and all the rest are suddenly activated on China now for a reason, and it's not your own reason.

States do evil, inherently. No great revelation there. But the US is not as good as you think it is and the PRC is not as evil as you think it is, and it is that disparity that tells me this is the result of propaganda.

Perhaps more to the point than people being instructed to hate Muslims after 9/11 is people being instructed to hate Saddam's weapons of mass destruction in the preamble to invading Iraq. Saddam was a bad guy. He may even have really had a weapons program. But we all know the timing and the extent of the claim was pure bullshit to ensure public consent, and blindingly hypocritical given the kinds of weapons the US makes and uses. At least a million dead Iraqis was the result, hell, we don't even know the exact number of dead.

While we're on the subject, that's why North Korea really has nukes and Iran probably needs them. To keep CIA bugs out of their hair and US bombs off their cities. Certainly we can see that the US public won't be stopping any conflicts regardless of their actual legitimacy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:11:11 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: April 28, 2020, 06:11:08 pm »

and that China must have millions of Covid death that they are not talking about because it could not possibly be the case that they did a better job at containing the disease than the good old USA is doing (god bless the president).

This is the same government that allowed uncontrolled, unpoliced wet markets to exist for decades, which has been a breeding ground for diseases in the past. So if they've been that bad at managing that vector, that bad at oversight of their manufacturers, and everything else.....it's a pretty big leap of faith to assume they did a better job at rapid response and quarantine measures. IMO, the country is so large and the population is so dense that even if they were doing their level best, logistically, it'd be hard to do a great job. But what they can control, via their media, is what the present to the rest of the world. And they'd leverage the shit out of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: April 28, 2020, 06:26:27 pm »

We had to wait untill public opinion was ready to accept lockdowns before any drastic action could be taken despite the fact that it was completely obvious that something very bad was happening in china, and as a result we responded too late. Now public opinion may force us to open up the system too soon, whereas china enforced their lockdown to the point where they had all but eleminated the disease within their borders.

This may be true in some places, especially 'Murrica, but in the UK it seemed more like public opinion forced the government to start a lockdown. And I don't know much about whoever's in the cabinet at the moment, but some of the pressure on the government to reopen fast seems to be internal.

Of course, with the government's chief political advisor in the scientific advisory group, I suppose we can just be thankful we aren't going with herd immunity.
One wheel short of a wagon

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: April 29, 2020, 12:53:12 am »

Even with false data considered, China probably has lower nationwide infection rate than many countries. But to achieve this the lives of a city's population was put at very high risk. And many indeed died in the process.

I'm not in US so what I see may be wrong but I think US spreads the risk across the whole population to avoid the damage of quarantine while favoring the richer people to some extent.

Neither of the these can be called "good" measure. They are just what the governments come up with when they are panicking like everybody else while still trying to look "having things under control" and in the meantime worrying more about their political rivals taking advantage than the actual epidemic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: April 29, 2020, 01:55:20 am »

and that China must have millions of Covid death that they are not talking about because it could not possibly be the case that they did a better job at containing the disease than the good old USA is doing (god bless the president).

This is the same government that allowed uncontrolled, unpoliced wet markets to exist for decades, which has been a breeding ground for diseases in the past. So if they've been that bad at managing that vector, that bad at oversight of their manufacturers, and everything else.....it's a pretty big leap of faith to assume they did a better job at rapid response and quarantine measures. IMO, the country is so large and the population is so dense that even if they were doing their level best, logistically, it'd be hard to do a great job. But what they can control, via their media, is what the present to the rest of the world. And they'd leverage the shit out of it.

What, you mean the stories of people circumventing the the great firewall to give uncensored insights into their coronavirus experiences, and being summarily arrested aren't just smoke and mirrors.

https://qz.com/1846277/china-arrests-users-behind-github-coronavirus-memories-page/
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 459