Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423762 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #3075 on: May 13, 2020, 04:23:59 am »

The logistics of feeding elephants are quite simple really.
DO NOT GET IN BETWEEN AN ELEPHANT'S TRUNK AND IT'S FOOD
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:49 am »

Some friends of mine went your way, earlier this year, on a supposed two-month-or-so trip. Transitted through Singapore just as things stopped being "Just Wuhan/Just China", and I meant to ask if they'd had much freedomto roam in their stopover days. The XXXXian immigration checks were happy enough that they'd not arrived via/come from China, though, it was so 'early' in the situation.

But then they found their multistate tour curtailed as travel was discouraged. Hobart definitely fell off the list quite quickly (I think after their state of entry and at least their next planned port of call were visited (NT/NSW? - can't remember what they told me about their route)), as they were left sitting in one hotel for a while longer than intended, and there was confusion as to whether they'd get to their planned departure state (WA?) for standard return (idling time away), get there quickly (after only two weeks hotel-isolation) for early rearrangement or have to go for a completely different departure based on where they'd stalled. I think it ended up being the middle one, but not before booking a contingency flight around the third option (I assume costs to be picked up by insurance or carriers' insurance/rebate). I must find out.

They got back after just the month, before the UK properly locked down even, and were asked to self-isolate for a fortnight (by which time the rest of us also were). Strangely, the fuss is now over plans to ask/force incoming travelers to specifically self-isolate once they arrive home/their local point of residence. So that sounds like it's being de-rescinded (after being considered implicit in the middle period so not a policy in and of itself).

So, anyway, general praise from them for your country's handling of things, despite how it spoilt their plans. And despite it, at the time, still being an emerging story so neither as effective as a lockdown could have been (with what we know now) nor as undisruptive as it might have been hoped for (for what the public initially imagined, back then).

I'm sure they're planning to return to do it properly, once things are somewhat more resolved. One thing they didn't do, in this truncated trip, was meet up with someone who had planned to fly in from NZ to share part of the trip. A friend they'd made during their journey to Kiwiland a few years before, one in which their return was much delayed by a medical emergency and extended hospital stay!  They don't seem to have much luck with visiting your particular hemisphere/quadrant/octant. On the other hand, they survived potentially bad situations both times they did, which might not have gone so well in various other alternate destinations they could have chosen (in both cases, the US could have been a nightmare, never mind other issues you could run into over there), so there must actually be something quite redeeming about them!

Anyway, by way of my partial knowledge of their firsthand experiences, all credit to all you lot who walk upside-down, or mostly so. Never gone anywhere so far as you, myself (East Coast US/western Eastern Europe and Scandiwegia/Mediterranean bound my lifelong travels), but I've known a few people down your way over the years, and in leiu of current contact with them (mostly through my inaction) I thought I'd say something about it all in your direction. Without resorting to saying Fair Dinkum, Cobber even once.  ... <|< ... *damn*.

(Ps, it aint your beef and barley that's going cheap, surely. That'd be your budgerigars!)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: May 13, 2020, 10:34:21 am »

By the way, does anyone remember a month ago when I was talking about how I was worried about a few countries, and Brazil and Russia in particular? Well, Russia has reached the vaunted title of second-most-cases (number one, naturally, belongs to the US). Putin's spokesman Dmitri Peskov tested positive for the virus and is ill in the hospital, as has Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin who contracted it two weeks ago, and the Doctor who gave Putin a tour of a major Moscow hospital last week. They continue to pull ahead of Brazil and other countries in case-count, although their death rate remains peculiarly low.

Putin has announced the end of the "non-working period", and an easing of the lockdown on Monday. On Tuesday a fire broke out at a major hospital in St. Petersburg, forcing evacuation of the sixth floor of an intensive care unit and 150 patients, five coronavirus infected patients attached to ventilators were killed. Russian investigators say their initial findings link the fire to a short-circuited ventilator, and comes on the heels of a similar fire in Moscow on Saturday which killed one.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:42 am »

How many doctors fell out of the windows during the fire?
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: May 13, 2020, 01:10:25 pm »

Well, I just got an email from my boss saying that my job will be reopening roughly "end of May or beginning of June". Going to make damn sure I've have protective gear while working, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: May 13, 2020, 01:24:06 pm »

Meanwhile here in Lincoln, NE our cases are spiking. Last week it was 200 confirmed, now it's like creeping up on 800. People here are getting spooked (again) and I have a strong suspicion our mayor is about to rescinded all the loosened restrictions and ask the city to buckle down again and actively self-quarantine.

And I have a funeral to go today :|
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:48 pm »

Going to make damn sure I've have protective gear while working, though.
Spoiler: Stay safe! (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: May 13, 2020, 02:29:22 pm »

Spoiler: Stay safe! (click to show/hide)

Why is it my first thought when seeing that is "that looks uncomfortable on the crotch"?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: May 13, 2020, 03:59:27 pm »

Someone inform me why beards apparently need to go?

With apologies for bringing back the beards topic, I always love to share this graphic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: May 13, 2020, 06:16:27 pm »

Fu Manchu?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: May 14, 2020, 12:04:31 am »

The Hitler moustache is gonna come back with a vengeance
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: May 14, 2020, 02:24:38 am »

I mean, I'm not likely to GET access to a proper N95 or whatnot if I was regularly risking interactions with folks in TN who are far too easy for loud obnoxious orange turds to disinform (misinform suggests an error, while uninform suggests lack of effort) and would be more likely to wind up in a plague doctor mask I made myself anyways if I were going to to do so.

Naturally I would incorporate a neck cuff and whatnot so I could snug my bandholz length mane down into it.

Chin mane only, head is buzzed because fuck all that shit, I hate caring for hair that just wants to tickle my ears and neck making me think a mosquito or something got inside the house, my beard is cooperative now and only occasionally tries to partake in my soup or cereal if I'm not careful or forgot the regular chipmunk feeding required to keep it full and lush.

So we dipped under 1000 deaths a day... for a day, and we're heading back towards 2k again--fully 1/3rd of known cases globally are right here, but we're still getting positive results from around 1/7th of the OVER TEN MILLION tests we've done, and we recently rolled over 85k known deaths here, which is a bit under 1/3rd of all known deaths worldwide--with everyone talking about reopening and lifting restrictions like it's over when it wouldn't even be feasible to reopen without a catastrophe IF we had handled it properly months ago.

If you're in a country with leaders actively trying to reopen fully before South Fucking Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, or New Zealand... be careful and remember that at best they don't care if you die, at worst they're looking forward to certain segments of their population getting thinned out.

Anybody remember the brief period a couple months ago when it seemed like Trump was actually starting to give a fuck and take shit seriously?

Not long after that he learned that a disproportionate number of the sick and dying were... well... several shades darker than his own horrific orange coloration--which in hindsight was clearly an aposematic warning indicating extreme toxicity--and he suddenly stopped pretending to consider if he could convincingly act like he might have any fucks to give with his nubby little orange bits.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:27:18 am by Max™ »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: May 14, 2020, 04:13:17 am »

Congratulations Wisconsin!
Thanks to the heroic efforts of your judge you are now free again to choose whether to loose your job over staying at home, or go to work and die from corona, instead of being inhumanely forced to stay safe and healthy!

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: May 14, 2020, 04:18:40 am »

Freedom like this is the is the reason we rebelled against England.  I couldn't be more proud.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a disinfectant margarita and go to a few anti-lockdown protests.  I won't bring a mask, but I will bring my gun.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: May 14, 2020, 04:49:48 am »

I do wonder how they are planning to test possible vaccins for effectiveness.
How are they going to get test subjects willing to have themselves injected with corona to see if it works?
Are they going to use a pool of people who already applied for euthanasia and reimburse them with a discount on their lethal injection if they survive?
I can't see a medical ethical committee agreeing on injecting healthy persons with a potentially lethal virus.

EDIT: this whole vaccin focus seems like a long shot anyways.  Don't forget we have been trying to develop a vaccin against HIV for about 50 years now and still don't have one.  Okay fair enough, Covid-19 does not specifically target white blood cells like HIV does, but still.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:53:08 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 459