Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421406 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Sweden just went from a 50 person/space limit to 500, seemingly to appease businesses. Just as we are settling in for the autumn and about to see how the school and university starts are going to consequence things. I don't think that was a good move.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Sweden just went from a 50 person/space limit to 500, seemingly to appease businesses. Just as we are settling in for the autumn and about to see how the school and university starts are going to consequence things. I don't think that was a good move.
I think this crisis is showing deep flaws in the political structures in the west. I think every single goverment knows what to do. And noone does it because they also know their actions will be impopjlar in the shirt term
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

More like shart term.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I think this crisis is showing deep flaws in the political structures in the west. I think every single goverment knows what to do. And noone does it because they also know their actions will be impopjlar in the shirt term
I don’t care about short term, I care about long term, why do so many care more about the short term than the long term?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

They have spent 50+ years culturing populaces that are fat, lazy, and have the attention spans of goldfish.

That's why.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

The short-term is almost now! I don’t want immediate discomfort for a better time later!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Stanford marshmallow experiment!? FUCK THAT, I want the candy NOW!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is a bit more nuanced than that. For example should we work everyone to death as slaves now, because that would make the economy better in the long term? An over-focus on the long term therefore could lead to justification of short-term human rights abuses, and I'd argue this causes as many problems as focusing on short-term needs over long term needs does. Say the cut the funding for nursing homes (or pretty much any social services) in order to balance the budget. That is, in fact, prioritizing long-term needs over short-term needs.

You do actually have to quantify these things and it's a balance of short term needs vs long term needs.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:22:15 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My store is starting to walk back on some of the safety protocols. I mean, they've largely been ignoring them in the first place, but now we've axed a few such as closing off aisles that are being restocked. They've reactivated one of the pricing machines, which they took out because it's impossible to have three people in that space and have them 6ft apart. All to bring us back to pre-quarantine closure output. This, along with their usual disregard for personal safety, has left me crammed between two clothing racks at almost all times for most of the week, and my back is getting sore from that.

Our store is the only one in the region this week to have a positive sales over last year.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

You guys are making me appreciate my employer. They just upgraded the HVAC in our office to have built-in UV and peroxide catalyst sanitizers, as well as smaller-particle filters.

We also still have like nobody in the office and everyone working from home.  So I don't even get to appreciate that with the new system, "the office smells like spring!" according to the skeleton crew that does go to the office.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My boss bought like 30 air purifiers and distributed them across the entire building. There's like a moving breeze throughout the whole building because of the amount of air these things are all moving around.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

On the one hand, that sounds comfy.

On the other, that also sounds, uh. Not great? From a plague spreading perspective? I guess the purifiers are supposed to stop it, but if they're not like actually 100% effective but are moving a lot of air around, well...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't be doing anything worse than a full HVAC system for a building with over 50 offices. (The HVAC also has HEPA filters, so.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Various local supermarkets that I frequent (according to where I find I have to be - giving me a nice selection of comparisons between implementations) have phased out the "top level lockdown" situation over the last few months and weeks.

In many ways it's safer.  People are (generally) quite sensible now[1] and without the funelling into a single queue (on going in, necessary to keep tally of those inside, when they were doing that; on approaching the checkouts, kept everyone from swamping the loading-belt ends - though only by threading them in a lone contactless-conga around the clothing department) there's no forced compression into a single linear strand of humanity.

But it didn't get that way out-of-the-box (and still isn't perfect), so all the little elements had to come together to spark it all off and some obviously still need to be sustained.

[1] Haven't been back in months to the particular supermarket that set up one-way aisles, that it seemed only I was respecting. I prefered being able to choose my transit down wherever was empty rather than being forced down aisles that other people were disobediently passing back up...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a growing number of people trying to say that the state premier here is the 'new Stalin' because of fines for not wearing face masks and the like. Some people say it's hyperbole, but how much clearer could the comparison be? We've all read about the system of fines Stalin put in place.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 459