Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423665 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4215 on: September 03, 2020, 09:10:40 am »

Oh hey, second week after our vacation and we're at least 5 people down due to testing positive  or being in contact with someone positive. Latest case was a guy from my shift who I interact with multiple times per shift since he's my QA guy/shift manager. His wife tested positive so he got sent home halfway trough the shift. Willing to bet that testing anyone from this shift is gonna bring up a positive result, regardless of symptoms shown so far.

You'd think the obvious response to having someone show clear symptoms would be to test everyone in their shift just in case and not just send them home and hope for the best. Guess the fuckers are going to reap what they've sown now when they're forced to shut down all 3 shifts in a few weeks when everyone gets inevitably infected.

Capitalism ho! indeed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4216 on: September 03, 2020, 09:18:34 am »

Bradykinin was upregulating in tall grass until he was waylaid by some wild Pikachurin.
His buddy, Sonic Hedgehog tried to assist until he too was inhibited by Robotnikinin
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: September 04, 2020, 05:27:59 pm »

Oh god damn.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/coronavirus-australia-live-victoria-qld-nsw-covid19/live-coverage/13df46f1482932899e9bb0010316c0d3

Prominent anti-coronavirus conspiracy theorist James Bartolo has warned his supporters not to attend an anti-lockdown protest today, calling it a "trap". 

Mr Bartolo, who was arrested yesterday morning over inciting an illegal protest, wrote he was “concerned about the safety of the brave men and women who plan to go” to the demonstration.

“The police are not forcing me to say anything,” he wrote in a post on Facebook last night, adding his bail orders say he “cannot speak about anything related to coronavirus or protests”.

“I will continue speaking about the wrong in the world, but I’m not going to break that bail order and risk being arrested and locked up,” he said.

In a separate post, the 27-year-old called attending a protest “the worst possible thing to do”.

“It is a set up from the get go. It is all just terrible. Don’t go to that one,” he said.

I don't think he comprehends what a "set up" is. They've already arrested people at similar protests and they've made it clear that the protests are not sanctioned. Where is the "set up".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: September 04, 2020, 06:56:02 pm »

My buddy has tested positive, and I have been around him frequently. He likely got it from attending a wedding.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: September 05, 2020, 09:32:00 am »

My buddy has tested positive, and I have been around him frequently. He likely got it from attending a wedding.

Dang. I hope things work out. Have you gotten a test yet?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: September 05, 2020, 07:43:57 pm »

I just read a news article today talking about face shields and it mentioned you could make your own.

Now I'm imagining making my own face shield from a 2 litre plastic Coke bottle and some rubber bands and thinking this is literally the only time you could strap a PET bottle to your face and people not think you've completely gone insane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:17 pm »

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/unbelievable-95-face-covering-protect-18437750

(Relevent. Also seems to be open-topped.)
I just want to drop something in that. Like spiders or something. You know?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:30 pm »

Good luck man.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: September 05, 2020, 09:08:17 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:07:20 am by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: September 06, 2020, 03:30:16 am »

In another thread i was mentioning the link between virus ad36 and obesity, and this includes proof of concept vaccinations in animals against that prevent them becoming obese, although getting funding to test this in humans is unlikely (one of the reasons I've heard is that admitting viruses play any role in obesity is seen as a risk for health insurers since they'd have to cover treatments)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24614097/

Well I was just reading about some Covid vaccine work and learned that they're using ad36 as the carrier, out of all 52 possible types of adenovirus. I thought "what were they thinking?" for a second but then I realized that such a vaccine doubles as an ad36 vaccine. Maybe some researchers trying to slip mass inoculation for ad36 in along with the Covid thing?
https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)31068-0.pdf
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200824/Single-dose-nasal-vaccine-against-SARS-CoV-2-shows-promise-in-animal-studies.aspx
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 03:35:16 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: September 06, 2020, 04:11:00 pm »

Would be nice if it works out like that.

Sadly, a lot of the issue with obesity in the US is straight up dietary. (of course, viral vectors that upregulate fat storage do not help matters) The rise of obesity correlates nicely with the "Heart healthy! Lower fat! Lower salt!" change in formulations of basically everything on the market.  When you have food that lacks those, you have food that is bland and unpalatable;  But the food industry learned that if you load it with enough sugars, people will still buy it with gusto. Fast forward a few decades, throw in some lobbyist action from Iowa Corn Growers Assn, and the southern states sugar lobby, and you have grossly inexpensive HFCS, and captive expensive sugar (which helps keep HFCS prices low), which are less expensive than the original fats that were added for flavor and texture. (any fats for texture now tend to be highly processed waste seed oils, like cotton seed, that have been hydrogenated into something just short of being something more like a paraffin wax, than what it was intended to replace, metabolically speaking). Am I suggesting that the original formulations are somehow healthy? No. No I am not. Just that the newer formulations are even LESS healthy.)

If you are seriously interested in combating the heart disease and obesity epidemics, you are gonna have to buckle down, and outlaw highly processed foods, in their entirety.  (Diabetic fat women who "Just cant live without their DingDongs!", would just have to learn how to make their own snack cakes at home.)

Given that this would mean crippling a huge chunk of the market for not just the snacks themselves, but all the products used to make them (like the afore-mentioned waste seed oils, and the processing to hydrogenate them), and it could have serious economic backlash from being done.  At least people would be significantly less likely to die from heart attacks, type II diabetes, and CHF (due to obesity), but no politician that is not suicidal is going to go down that road.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 06, 2020, 05:09:58 pm »

Would be nice if it works out like that.

Sadly, a lot of the issue with obesity in the US is straight up dietary.

How the ad36 and similar virus works is that they enhance the grow of adipose tissue permanently, which sucks glucose out of the bloodstream. The result is constant lethargy and hunger. So yeah, it's still straight up dietary in that sense, but people who aren't affected don't actually have any superiority in willpower, they're just literally not as hunger.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/mysterious-virus-cause-obesity/

Note that this guy got clawed by a chicken and subsequently bloated out and is the only one in his lean farming family with any weight issues, despite constantly trying to monitor what he eats far more than the rest of his family. In addition to that they have twin studies where one twin is fatter than the other, and the fat twins have a much higher prevalence of AD36 antibodies.

AD36 is found in 30% of obese people, but obese people who are positive for AD36 antibodies are on average a lot heavier than obese people who are not positive for AD36. So people who are "just fat" but without the AD36 virus tend to cluster more towards the bottom of the scale where they're just over the official line of whatever obesity is defined at, and the AD36 virus is far more common among the morbidly obese. Plus, there are other viruses which do the same thing mentioned in that article I linked, for example the chicken one, so we should be testing for a range of viral infections: AD36 is only culprit #1, not the only culprit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:24:05 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: September 06, 2020, 06:09:04 pm »

It sounds then like there are two different problems with similar results but much different ways of fighting them.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: September 06, 2020, 10:21:54 pm »

Proportions of positive tests are increasing again in Wisconsin, and this is before the presumed bump from Labor Day shenanigans.

Also broke the record for number of positive tests in a day on Friday, but I think they also did the most tests ever, too. Kinda sad that they haven’t been testing as much lately. For some reason I think 11k daily tests is good (or 12k, 2% of the population) and they’ve been under that for weeks.

Also heading for Fall, and however fun that is for airborne respiratory diseases. I tend to get sick when the seasons change (as probably most people do) and I managed to avoid that for Spring, I hope I avoid it for Fall...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:24:09 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 459