Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423652 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4230 on: September 07, 2020, 12:43:56 am »

Sweden's numbers has been low or a while now and currently has the among the lowest spreading in Europe (compared to the last two weeks) and for the last couple or weeks the media has really been ramping up the "so can we go back to normal now already" line, and I can't even

At the same time my foreign family are coming down ill with harsh flu symptoms, which worries me a lot. My uncle is a heavy smoker at that.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4231 on: September 07, 2020, 02:53:30 am »

Sweden's numbers has been low or a while now and currently has the among the lowest spreading in Europe (compared to the last two weeks) and for the last couple or weeks the media has really been ramping up the "so can we go back to normal now already" line, and I can't even

At the same time my foreign family are coming down ill with harsh flu symptoms, which worries me a lot. My uncle is a heavy smoker at that.
Its the same everywhere. Thats why Spain is like it is nowadays. Many people saying its an outlier... but it isnt, not really. Same thing happened in Florida 2 months ago.

It's the covid second wave alongside with a second round of "it wont happen here" domino
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: September 07, 2020, 05:03:03 am »

A lot of people here are acting as if a second Swedish wave isn't possible (likely because of the herd immunity narrative, which is once again 100% invented and pushed by the media). I think that ending up with a second wave after finally riding out our first one, and losing so many people to it, would just be even more terrible.
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: September 07, 2020, 11:18:58 pm »

I don’t get why the media would spread “information” that not only is false but would result in many more deaths via people not being careful since they think they’re immune. Wouldn’t it be better to spread information that keeps people alive?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: September 07, 2020, 11:37:17 pm »

Sure, but it wouldn't get as many clicks/views/dollabills, so the media organizations relentlessly thirsting after those things give very little fucks as to if their behavior is or is not going to get people killed. It's not their job to care if their reporting convinces people to get themselves killed, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: September 07, 2020, 11:42:33 pm »

The eyeballs thing is important to keep in mind.

People forget that the media are Darwinian. It's easy to blame the media for being clickbait, but the problem is that we reward them for that behavior so the clickbait media is all that's left. There are honest and accurate news sources that eschew sensationalist. But we don't read them so they go broke.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: September 07, 2020, 11:49:16 pm »

I understand the news on PBS actually still tries to retain journalist integrity..

https://www.pbs.org/about/producing-pbs/editorial-standards/

I guess getting funded by grants and donations, instead of ad revenue, makes all the difference?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 08, 2020, 02:41:26 am »

You'd think the BBC wouldn't get so much criticism, then... ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 08, 2020, 03:13:10 am »

BBC I think, runs the problem of "too much exposure", and thus "Useful target for propaganda operations" and 'Everyone has a price'.

PBS on the other hand, has to try to defend every dollar it gets.  See also, how Mr Rodgers had to testify to congress to keep children's television workshop as a thing.

Begging for scraps is the exact opposite of "Too much exposure".

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: September 08, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »

Eh, officially ‘news’ is not regulated in any way.  So really, you gotta look at 3rd parties to fact check and all that.
So really, we got what we got.  People able to push their version of news.

To put the shit show best murrica has lightly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 08, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »

A lot of people here are acting as if a second Swedish wave isn't possible (likely because of the herd immunity narrative, which is once again 100% invented and pushed by the media). I think that ending up with a second wave after finally riding out our first one, and losing so many people to it, would just be even more terrible.
I get the impression that the 2nd wave its being a reprise of the first wave as far as mismanagement goes. The Spanish goverment pretending nothing is wrong (again). THe UK has been pretending for weeks that this was a Spanish thing (again) and now cases are shooting up there as well. etc, etc...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 08, 2020, 05:22:26 pm »

I get the impression that the 2nd wave its being a reprise of the first wave as far as mismanagement goes. The Spanish goverment pretending nothing is wrong (again). THe UK has been pretending for weeks that this was a Spanish thing (again) and now cases are shooting up there as well. etc, etc...

If you think they're shooting up now, wait until the young people get back to uni  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: September 08, 2020, 05:41:32 pm »

If you think they're shooting up now, wait until the young people get back to uni  :P
Well in Spain they're already back in uni since a week ago. No further increases so far... decreasing in some areas actually.  We'll see if it holds

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: September 08, 2020, 06:09:57 pm »

Looks like the whole of England is getting a "No social gatherings of more than six" lockdown from Monday.

(How many U-turns in policy is that now?)

Next thing, there'll be a weird inverted "Beyond The Wall" thing implemented by Sturgeon to keep invaders from south of the border trying to break through at Castle Mhairi.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 08, 2020, 06:17:25 pm »

https://www.newsweek.com/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-cost-122-billion-public-health-due-coronavirus-spread-economists-1530422

More of a reminder of how much damage people trying to rush things to improve the economy are actually doing to the economy.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 459