Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423908 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4470 on: November 05, 2020, 12:35:13 am »

Looks like an Ubuntu derivative.

Pointer probably came from using a dark icon theme.  Cut the guy some slack. Not everyone can go full curmudgeon and go XFCE.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: November 05, 2020, 02:44:10 am »

They're probably Windows fanboys and have never seen a kde or gnome desktop in their life lol. Tbf I am also Windows fanboy, and I have not yet installed dual-boot linux on my new laptop...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: November 05, 2020, 02:55:39 am »

*buntu? Hah!

It's Arch and KDE because I can't quit it. I've tried xfce, cinnamon, uh, whatever the hell ubuntu used before they switched to their weird new style... GNOME! That's what it was. I've done *buntu derivatives, gentoo, puppy, mint, suse, and I swear I'm missing a couple in there but I love arch and KDE letting me pick and choose what the hell I want so everything looks exactly how I want it to look. Though I was annoyed when the old simple style icons with just the stylized shape in white and transparent backgrounds stopped getting updated and broke shit so I just said fuck it and went to like breeze or whatever that is, with one of the big see-through pointers I grabbed from one of the sets because it makes it easier to gauge the speed with my mousekeys.xkb setup.

I haven't let windows on my system since I used windows 7 in a vbox for some online schooling stuff which amusingly completely bypassed a lot of the security measures intended from the online testing software they use because it only saw the windows 7 image and desktop, not the stuff outside the vbox window or other monitor.

Also worth noting that worldometer favoring higher counts is more likely to be reducing the error than not, excess mortality shows covid-19 deaths are vastly undercounted to say the least. Last update I saw on excess mortality figures was over 300k and we've since added something like 25k confirmed deaths.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: November 05, 2020, 02:57:20 am »

Last I heard Max was running Arch.  Being arch it's totally up to the user what desktop they install, or even if they use one at all.  though xfce is very nice

Fake edit: bloody ninja's

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: November 05, 2020, 03:02:08 am »

Oh I also tried uhhhh... shit one of those little tiling ones, awesome and blurgh I can't remember it was something with like a three letter name like ikm or some shit?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: November 05, 2020, 03:17:31 am »

dwm or i3?  not that it matters, what's important is that it works for you.  we're spoilt for choice.  shit I wish politics was like that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: November 05, 2020, 03:30:38 am »

Ah, I mixed the names of dwm and i3 and think it was the latter because I had been using qjoypad with a ps2 type controller for my mouse but it wasn't working as well as I liked due to qjoypad ceasing development, looked into some options to minimize any need for a mouse before ended up finding out I can customize a mousekeys.xkb as long as I find the right codes for my keyboard model. Had to set it up so it disables the numlock light when I switch from numpad to mousekeys though, light drove me nuts.

Thankfully mousekeys fixed the carpal tunnel twinges I was starting to get from my mouse originally which trackballs only helped with and the controlled was great for except when qjoypad would bug out loading the init file and misinterpret the x/y 0/0 as -30000/-30000 for some reason so the cursor starts running off to the left side of the screen at full speed with the sticks dead centered.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: November 05, 2020, 03:00:42 pm »

Old news. This is exactly what I mean by "virus has animal vector reservoir populations", and why I mean it when I say "it is here to stay forever."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: November 05, 2020, 03:54:58 pm »

I remember mink-farm culls in the Netherlands, a few months back. And it came from animals, so has proven ability to leap around mammals. Even before we found out that it had spread to pet cats, pet dogs and a zoo tiger caught it from humans - and the tiger example was not to be sneezed at... unless that's how it happened!

Whether it can leap back again is probably only circumstance-limited. So maybe you should always disinfect your hands after giving a tiger a belly-rub. If not before...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: November 05, 2020, 08:18:27 pm »

I lost my sense of taste today, and now I get coughing fits too.

Unhappy, this is day... 6 or 7, maybe 9, of my direct covid experience, it has mostly been WHY DID SOMEONE TAKE ME APART AND PUT ME BACK TOGETHER SLIGHTLY WRONG since the start.

This needs to end :’(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: November 05, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »

Get well soon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: November 05, 2020, 11:23:23 pm »

I don’t know if 6 and a half years of residence necessarily qualifies me as a ‘sconny, but I’ve picked up a few things, doncha know.

I appreciate the well wishes, though. Enso.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: November 05, 2020, 11:34:52 pm »

I mean, yeah, here's hoping the plague doesn't actually kill you or cause any permanent damage.

By the numbers it's probably going to kill someone regular to the forum, if it hasn't already, and probably more or less cripple some, too, but... still. Y'don't want to see it happen :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: November 05, 2020, 11:38:40 pm »

I don’t know if 6 and a half years of residence necessarily qualifies me as a ‘sconny, but I’ve picked up a few things, doncha know.

I appreciate the well wishes, though. Enso.

Best of luck Hector. I guess by now you know that the only cure is a few games of sheepshead, a lienenkugels and about 700 calories of fried cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 459