Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423871 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4680 on: December 20, 2020, 04:48:47 am »

I would *LOVE* to take a vacation right now, truly.

However, it is just not sane to do so right now.  Instead, I shall save pennies and take a proper one, once covid is properly in remission/contained/concluded.

I think myself and every other frontline healthcare worker on the damn planet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: December 20, 2020, 05:25:28 am »

If it came to it, and I was aware of the competition, I'd give anyone from healthcare first refusal over any trip away that I might hope myself to take.  Though it helps that I'm not into the laze-on-the-beach/wallow-in-the-pool type of getaway seemingly favoured by the unwashed masses (and even the washed masses of not-normally-lazy medical professionals), nor the high-adrenaline thrill-seeker, so I'm probably in no danger of gazumping anybody else's intended booking. ;)

Whatever your (plural) particular poison for happy holidays is, I hope that it's soon but safe enough to be a rewarding respite.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: December 20, 2020, 06:50:49 am »

Oh, yeah, anyway, no-one has mentioned that Boris Johnson invented a Tier 4 Lockdown (not sure how it compares to the Scottish one, but I bet it's different[1], 'cos Boris) for all of London and a large part of the surrounding South-East/almost-South-East (and Peterborough, apparently, up into the English midlands), which effectively "cancels their Christmas".  No meeting of more than one person outside. No household mixing. No Christmas 'relaxation'. (Which has been unrelaxed even for the other English version of Tiers from five days across Christmas down to a single one of up to ?three? households co-bubbling in one or other of their houses.)

We're pretty much screwed, too. Unless you're in tier 1 or 2 (basically the highlands, islands (orkney, shetland, na h-eilean siar, argyll+bute etc) and I think the borders?) you're not allowed to leave your council area except on xmas day only, and then by boxing day you aren't allowed to travel at all except essential work reasons etc. I have family who booked ferry etc and now can't get over there (no way a ferry is running on christmas day, and you can't get to hebrides in -one- day from here lmao)

At boxing day whole country immediately goes to tier 4 which is basically same lockdown at the start of all this except they're *still* keeping schools open apparently. >_> at least they finally block people coming up from england, which is something. though it would be nice if they'd done this idk, 10 months ago maybe? :)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: December 20, 2020, 06:54:36 am »

Here in Wales... *sigh*... Literally moments after the Westminster decision the Senedd made the snap decision to enter a national lockdown at midnight - literally 6 hours notice. Despite this being a sensible and unavoidable course of action, it allowed zero contingency planning for anybody, and many people are pissed at the impacts of this on non essential businesses as well as their own Christmases. Nor does it reflect the fact that the infections rates vary wildly between the north and south of the country. Some suggest this was done as an effort to prevent people under lockdown in England fleeing to tourist destinations in Wales, as happened during previous English lockdowns where Wales remained open, as well as due to the spread of CoVid and its new variant in the south.

Yeah the constant flip-flopping is just causing more chaos. 3 days ago Johnson literally laughed at the idea of 'cancelling Christmas' which I'm sure encouraged people to continue their xmas plans, and now they've got all the stuff in they can't go anymore. So there's people with whole turkeys and other people with literally no food in the house lol. Really feel for the people who've been holding on for months for this and even self-isolating themselves, getting tested etc to make sure it's ok, then it's all "btw, no" and you know the usual idiots will pay exactly 0 attention to it, especially when you get announcements from Police Scotland that they're not even going to bother policing the border. Just go and say you're testing your eyesight or something. Utter shambles.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: December 20, 2020, 07:14:04 am »

According to the British minister of Health, it is going to be 'extremely difficult' to stop the spread of the new variant of corona that was discovered recently.
He says that only the vaccin can stop it, because it spreads so rapidly.
"this variant was already out of control when our government was informed of it's existence last friday".

The new corona variant seems to spread about 70% more eagerly.  Already, it has become the 'dominant' variant in the London area.

The Dutch and Belgian governments have forbidden all flights from the UK from entering the country.  The Eurostar has also been temporarily taken out of service.

Cases of the new variant have already been reported in Belgium, Denmark, Australia and the Netherlands.

Scary stuff.. 70% more contagious.... I hope that doesn't mean it has gone fully airborne.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: December 20, 2020, 07:59:04 am »

Scary stuff.. 70% more contagious.... I hope that doesn't mean it has gone fully airborne.

Considering to weld my elderly mother into her house at this point. She is still occasionally meeting up with her partners family and etc. Especially when vaccine is so soon @_@

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: December 20, 2020, 09:36:04 am »

Isn't it legal to deny medical care to anyone in the US unless it's an emergency?

The opposite. Hospitals aren't required to do anything unless it's an emergency. Poor people often get thrown out as soon as they're no longer categorized as dying.

I believe that is what I said.

Speaking of this topic:
Thanks for the info, Vec. I read it, just forelet to respond afterwards. I think I remember hearing about this back when it happened.

It's like people have forgotten that there are these things called telephones, that you can communicate with loved ones in real-time over.

A simple phone call, while you sit back on the couch and drink some hot chocolate while doing something relaxing, can help you keep in contact and in touch over the holidays.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending travelling around because I'm not, but you have to acknowledge that a phone call is pretty fucking far from the same as meeting in person. Especially for a holiday.

Here in Wales... *sigh*... Literally moments after the Westminster decision the Senedd made the snap decision to enter a national lockdown at midnight - literally 6 hours notice. Despite this being a sensible and unavoidable course of action, it allowed zero contingency planning for anybody, and many people are pissed at the impacts of this on non essential businesses as well as their own Christmases. Nor does it reflect the fact that the infections rates vary wildly between the north and south of the country. Some suggest this was done as an effort to prevent people under lockdown in England fleeing to tourist destinations in Wales, as happened during previous English lockdowns where Wales remained open, as well as due to the spread of CoVid and its new variant in the south.

Yeah the constant flip-flopping is just causing more chaos. 3 days ago Johnson literally laughed at the idea of 'cancelling Christmas' which I'm sure encouraged people to continue their xmas plans, and now they've got all the stuff in they can't go anymore. So there's people with whole turkeys and other people with literally no food in the house lol. Really feel for the people who've been holding on for months for this and even self-isolating themselves, getting tested etc to make sure it's ok, then it's all "btw, no" and you know the usual idiots will pay exactly 0 attention to it, especially when you get announcements from Police Scotland that they're not even going to bother policing the border. Just go and say you're testing your eyesight or something. Utter shambles.

Neoliberals: Borders are just, like, imaginary lines on a map anyway, Caz

Considering to weld my elderly mother into her house at this point. She is still occasionally meeting up with her partners family and etc. Especially when vaccine is so soon @_@

Feed her nothing but soup through the mail inlet. That's how I interact with my parents these days. They pass me notes under the door and then we burn them, just in case
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:15:00 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: December 20, 2020, 09:43:02 am »

Feed her nothing but soup through the mail inlet. That's how I interact with my parents these days. They pass me notes under the door and then we burn them, just in case

Bold to assume the letterbox hasn't already been nailed shut to prevent the reception of bills.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: December 20, 2020, 11:07:50 am »

Why can't boomers even keep their masks on or over their noses?  Insisting on meeting in person is bad enough.  My mom at least wears hers correctly... as a former nurse, I'd hope so... but she often forgets it when entering a store, and seems almost uncomfortable wearing it in the car with another person.  I get not everyone loves wearing a mask like me, but you'd think they'd have caught the habit by now.  Ugh.

I can't say no, though, so I'm going to see my mom today.  A few days after seeing my dad's family.  It's stupid, but I won't be entering a car or building with her, so it should be alright.

Anyway wow, sorry to hear more about the English strain.  Coming at just the worst time, too, for super-spreading and quarantine fatigue.  Hang in there, y'all :(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: December 20, 2020, 11:37:15 am »

I have the urge to shove my fingers up exposed nostrils, maybe they'd learn then.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: December 20, 2020, 12:39:58 pm »

I don't see anything wrong with that, just make sure to wash your hands afterwards
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: December 20, 2020, 03:00:41 pm »

Well, you'd need those extendo-reach things you see in cartoons to maintain proper distancing, to start. That's a stretch, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: December 20, 2020, 06:54:49 pm »

Well, you'd need those extendo-reach things you see in cartoons to maintain proper distancing, to start. That's a stretch, y'know?
You dare underestimate my powers
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: December 20, 2020, 07:26:23 pm »

You dare underestimate my powers
Plug my nose and I shall become more powerful than you can imagine.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: December 20, 2020, 10:16:25 pm »

The entire thing coincidentally follows the exact playbook you'd use if you wanted people to ignore the rules and spread the virus. Change the rules often, giving no reason, and with no warning. Have inconsistent rules for different people and areas. Don't let people go do things, but also require them to continue going to work. Hit the healthcare system as hard as you can to kill off the poor and "prove" privatization is needed.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 459