Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421429 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #6060 on: December 04, 2021, 04:34:39 pm »

Even if it's less deadly, it's being more transmissible can still cause more death just by infecting more people. The decrease would hav to be significantly greater then the increase in transmission.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: December 04, 2021, 07:15:55 pm »

This https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/does-omicron-pose-higher-risks-infants-than-other-variants-2021-12-01/ is worth reading on the rate/chance of infant infection by Omicron, specifically with regard to the figures released recently by the South African NICD.  We'll know more shortlyTM.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: December 05, 2021, 10:00:11 am »

why is that in the business section reuters
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: December 05, 2021, 10:05:43 am »

Because they classify healthcare and pharma as business
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6064 on: December 05, 2021, 02:40:47 pm »

Reuters is a business/economics news company. All of its news is contextualised around the notion of "will this affect stonks" or "muh gdp". It is also one of the highest quality news sources out there, but I don't think that's ever been a high bar to cross.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: December 13, 2021, 06:53:32 am »

This omikron variant is spreading fast.
Latest research shows that of all those tested positive in the London area, 40% have been infected with omikron.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6066 on: December 13, 2021, 08:08:30 am »

This omikron variant is spreading fast.
Latest research shows that of all those tested positive in the London area, 40% have been infected with omikron.
We also had our first omicron variant death confirmed today. Meanwhile Boris Johnson is defending against accusations that he held a Christmas party at No. 10 downing street (government head office) during lockdown

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: December 13, 2021, 10:33:47 am »

No he's not. He's just using the "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, it wasn't even bad, if it was wrong nobody told me about it, if they told me about it they lied to me and are resigning for me even though I say have full confidence in them..." cascade of reactions that we've seen before. Same-ol' same-ol'... Subtly different parhs to the end-point (it petering out), perhaps, but roughly of the same order. At least this time he definitely wasn't there (only in the flat, a short karaoke-blast away) for the main event complained about, but he definitely used the "it wasn't breaking the rules" before later needing to announce an internal inquiry and categorically requiring all civil-servants everywhere to tell the truth, ignoring all the times he hasn't even managed that himself.

And he's promising boosters for everyone 18+ from Wednesday, ignoring/skimming over the fact that there aren't the logistics to do that. But he's promised them, which makes him look good, and will probably blame the inevitable non-availability upon anything-but-him.

Sorry, a bit of UKPol there. I'm not sure how he bumbles through these things so imperviously, but unlikely anything will come of this situation either.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: December 14, 2021, 02:32:02 am »

I'm getting my third dose today. Wish me luck with the side effects
Love, scriver~

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: December 14, 2021, 03:03:22 am »

My 3rd wasn't as bad as the 2nd, with acetaminophen and ibuprofen it was barely noticable.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: December 14, 2021, 07:40:32 am »

You remind me. When I got my Booster (Moderna), I didn't get the mountain of paperwork I got for both my AZ shots, or that someone I know earlier got with their Pfizer boost (again, on top of 2xAZ).

It was just the one 'jabber' (of two at the small site doing parallel queue-calling) rather than the jabber+assistant pairs (and army of others booking us in and marshalling around) in the prior mass-vaccination centres, so maybe a bit laxer/san fairy-ann in general. Seemed much more concerned to tell me that my Covid App (which I have never had, therefore used) would be updated within 48 hours.

So far, so good, though. (Well, the jag hurt, I think more than the prior ones, and I don't know whether the funny taste in the roof of my mouth was just a psychosomatic herald of the "oi! You've got something nasty in here!" later coming from my circulating anti-insurgency troops.)

edit: Oh yeah, and the order of business included (after negotiating which arm and my removing my jacket to facilitate) first the needle going in and then "Erm, just to check, are you on any blood-thinning medication?" (No, as it happens, not so much as an aspirin.) Not sure that wasn't supposed to be a pre-puncture question.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 07:45:18 am by Starver »

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: December 15, 2021, 02:39:03 am »

"The vaccine causes heart lesions, brain issues, and even passes problems down to your children!"
We know this because...
"Also  this  has  not  been  adequately  tested!"

Yeah I heard enough.  There's a reason this is a "streamable" link instead of anything reliable.
Imagine simping for a disease, just because a fascist dismissed it as not a big deal.  This timeline is so fucked.

"We need at least 5 years of testing" yeah we HAD that, the process has been tested for longer than that.  This handsome silver-haired dipshit would have us sit on our fingers and die.

I'm really worried about my parents, and my one remaining grandparent.  I guess that's an appeal to emotion - I just want to point out that I keep giving this BS a chance, and never once have I seen a convincing argument.  It's just a shotgun of BS.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:41:56 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: December 15, 2021, 08:33:43 am »

Yeah. I'm worried about the vaccines and the long term side effects they might have. But I have two parents in the elderly risk group (not to mention old aunts and uncles) and am in the blood pressure risk group myself. I'm not going to jeopardise them and myself because of that worry. Fuck, I'd be worried either way!

I dont trust the medical companies to put people's health --especially long-term -- above pushing vaccines out fast. I wish the new vaccines could've had the length  and wide of use and proof-by-time that the old well used vaccines have. But we are not in the position where such things are feasible. The disease is here now, it's killing millions, and we have to do something about it. It's either using what vaccines we have to prevent it or shutting society down entirely for his knows how long. Our house is on fire, and we can't not use the water hose out of worry of long-term water damage.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: December 15, 2021, 09:46:02 am »

Though, in that analogy, we've been used to the test for water damage being to turn on the hose briefly to soak an item, perhaps with a small bucket of water and a stirrup-pump, then stop it, take the bucket and pump away and spend time looking at the item, seeing that it doesn't seem to do much and discussing this in a meeting across town, then getting an item that's smouldering and turning the hose on again (perhaps a bigger hose and a few buckets of water) to drench it, before ceasing again while meetings are had about what happened, then finding some item that's on fire and again starting with the squirting.... Etc, until eventually you're allowed to put out fires around a whole house (so long as the fires are set upon items muchike your test ones) and/or dampen things next to the current flames to stop them catching, this time having called out a fire-tender and/or hooked up to the water mains.

What has been rone here is to quickly agree what problems there are (e.g. don't squirt water at oil-fires or electrical items), based upon prior fire-fighting experience, and what signifies good or bad quenchings, then start with a small amount of water-flow, see that it gets a sample sofa (not on fire) wet, but no obvious issues that prior sofa-drenching has proved to be troublesome, re-aiming on the smouldering easy-chair to see that it stops smouldering, then direct the stream onto the rest of the furniture that's in danger, thus saving more of the house from fire, knowing that there still might be irecoverable water-damage for some things, but nothing that should cause neighbours the worry that a whole burning house would and a lot more rectifiable than if most of your precious things are now a mix of simple/complex oxides in the air or on the ground, and most of the rest melted at least cracked.

If the hosepiping was shown to be actually harmful (you were trying to use gasoline, not water) or the household items themselves unexpectedly problematic to pour water on (those chesspieces you had cast from pure lithium might not be helping!) then you would have rushed to stop the water (but not send the fire-tender away) and work out what else you can do (powder? foam?).

And if the fire, unbeknownst to you, has ready reached the neighbouring roofspave then you can quickly drench that and/or get some of the firefighters to make preventative fire-breaks exactly how they've been trained.

In reality, the vaccine programmes were not rushed, merely compressed out of expediency. Factories were set up to start producing vaccines very early on, while the initial in-human studies were still being looked at, at the risk that the designed-for vaccine would be scrapped (as they could easily be) and the massive production investment would be wasted, or need to be reallocated. The same levels of scrutiny (more or less, and possibly more!) were cast upon the trial results and some candidate treatments/protectives were indeed abandoned (as they would have been in the more long and drawn-out versions of investigations). Even some (most?) of the successful ones had to have pauses during or between certain phases of study, just to check that unrelated deaths (in at least one case, I think it was a car-accident!) were in fact truly unrelated.

Which is not to say that the fast-track (or, rather, concertinaed) study plan should be used for everything from now on. Novel painkillers don't need this as much. HIV treatments probably can be developed without, given the current arsenal of preventatives and mitigating treatments. (In both examples, a very few hard cases may be temptingly used to urge the 'rushing' of ways to help individuals who aren't responding to these existing ones. That's for the experts to argue over, though.) Yet it should show what can be done, without making things go bad through insufficient regulation or other errors.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 459