Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423798 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6285 on: January 10, 2022, 11:37:35 pm »

Its obviously to control the mood swings and depression from the gynecomastia.

:)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: January 11, 2022, 02:06:48 am »

Wait what

American schools are private? I can't credit even murrica being that cray cray

Good, because, the vast majority of American schools are public and provided for by tax payer dollars. Private schools account for 25% of all schools, enrolling 10% of American K-12 students.

Private schools here are either of the religious and/or high society variety. Parents sending their kids to private schools continue to fight for a share of public funds to do so and have succeeded in some cases.
It's amazing.  The underlying idea is that they should be reimbursed for whatever portion of their taxes that doesn't directly benefit them.  Wouldn't it be wild if *any* other public service worked that way?

"I don't drive, why should I pay for roads?"  - oh wait this is real, roads are maintained by gas tax.
"Why am I paying for that school in the bad part of town?" - oops this is real too, schools are funded by local property tax, ensuring that low-income neighborhoods receive the worst education possible.  For obvious reasons.
"My house isn't on fire, what am I paying the fire department for?" - We occasionally see this tried as well, people going back to the Roman model of paying the fire-fighting organization for their protection.

We're living in failed states, but America especially.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: January 11, 2022, 02:13:57 am »

As i have said before, the problem is the enshrinement of "fuck you, i've got mine!"

Legal tax sheltering? Totally this.
Socialized healthcare being systemically denied? Totally this.
Absurd tuition, being downplayed by boomers? Totally this.
Unaffordable rents, being downplayed by old homeowners? Totally this.

Etc.

Our society says that having this view is OK.  That is the fundamental problem.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: January 11, 2022, 02:23:22 am »

For that matter, I'm childless- where's the education voucher for the 2.5 children I'm not putting through public school?

I don't want it, but it follows better logic than people demanding vouchers for using private or home schooling.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6289 on: January 11, 2022, 03:31:43 am »

For that matter, I'm childless- where's the education voucher for the 2.5 children I'm not putting through public school?

I don't want it, but it follows better logic than people demanding vouchers for using private or home schooling.
That's a nice way of sneaking in universal basic income

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: January 11, 2022, 04:25:05 am »

Well... until you have children, at least...

Wonder how fast pop. levels would fall?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6291 on: January 11, 2022, 06:40:23 am »

Not at all because migration levels > birth decline

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: January 11, 2022, 07:34:47 am »

Once you got kids, you get a pile of other sorts of assistance. That's the sneaky part of sneaking in a UBI.

Though I'd actually be fairly confident guessing a childless voucher would increase, rather than decrease, population. The less financial pressure you put on folks, generally the more likely they're going to start fucking... and gods know the state of US sex ed and reproductive healthcare entails that means kids.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: January 11, 2022, 11:00:17 am »

"I don't drive, why should I pay for roads?"  - oh wait this is real, roads are maintained by gas tax.
Knowing that UK fuel duties[1] are not at all hypothecated (nor 'Road Tax', which is actually a vehicle excise duty, and goes in to the general tax pot anyway), I wanted to check this. It looks like the low, low fuel tax in the US isn't dedicated to roads. Some revenue goes out, some other revenue goes in, but the consensus is clear that there's not actually enough in various vehicle-based taxations and charges to support the actual infrastructure expenditure (which it seems is also woefully insufficient). But maybe that's not a problem in every state. My quick browse didn't reveal enough detail.

(Even hypothecated/'ringfenced' taxation is a bit of a fudge. If you try to say "this lot of dollars came in for roads so we'll spend them on roads, that lot came in for schools so we'll spend them on schools" you still end up with 'unpreallocated' dollars being distributed to things both already allocated-to and not allocated-to, but because you've already said this labelled chunk of change goes straight to that chunk of spending you'll not like to add as much spare-change there to make labelled+spare equal what you might have done if given a free hand with utterly uncommited funds (with every other possible commitment vying for at least as much attention as before). It'll depend highly upon special-interest pleading, but that already got them those 'dedicated pot' allocations and other pleading for unguaranteed moneysinks are going to try even harder to take ad much of the rest as they can.)

[1] £0.5795 per litre. Not including VAT ('sales tax') of 20%. (VAT adds about £4bn to the £27bn of basic hydrocarbon duty collected.) If I've worked in the right values in the right way, this equates to US$2.98ish per US Gallon, compared to rough Federal+State fuel taxes apparently being US$0.5264 per USG, prior to any other liabilities I don't know how to account for.

[2] For reference a whole cost of fuel is havering around 142.9 pence per litre over here, which seems to be $7.36/USG. Checking current Hawaiian prices, which I've found to be amongst the highest in the US in past forays, they're currently at $4.316ish.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: January 11, 2022, 01:06:59 pm »

Not at all because migration levels > birth decline

Not really!

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/12/29/job-market-2021/

Assuming I am reading the lines properly, birthrate went down 400k, while immigration dropped to ~257k. (A decline of over 800k!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:12:54 pm by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: January 11, 2022, 01:09:37 pm »

Hardly a bad thing, really.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: January 11, 2022, 01:15:54 pm »

The combination, plus deaths, indicates near negative pop growth. ;)

Capitalists be shittin blood already. Look at Musk.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: January 11, 2022, 02:27:27 pm »

Don't worry. Boris Johnson is dealing with the problem... Personally.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: January 11, 2022, 03:27:23 pm »

The combination, plus deaths, indicates near negative pop growth. ;)

Capitalists be shittin blood already. Look at Musk.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/elon-musk-civilization-will-crumble-if-we-dont-have-more-children.html

"If you don't start making more wage slaves for my factories, society is doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU. How will the super rich be able to afford Teslas if working class people don't breed so we can produce them. It'll be the end of civilization as we know it!"

Get that fucking guy off our planet. Or maybe he needs to start turning his billions to actually helping humanity instead of profiting from everyone's labor and fellating himself marching satellites across the sky and shooting rockets into space.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:31:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: January 11, 2022, 04:26:53 pm »

He didn't make true on his promise to sell 6 billion worth of stocks if someone came with concrete plans to end world hunger either.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 459