Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FEF: Dungeon's Hollow(OoC Thread)  (Read 3555 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FEF: Dungeon's Hollow(OoC Thread)
« on: February 04, 2020, 04:39:33 pm »

IC: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175801.0

Welcom to the world of Fantasy. This world's dungeons are strange, holding both monsters and treasure. You brave 6 have, for one reason or another, joined up with the Etrian Guild.

The Etrian Guild is all about finding new dungeons to explore, and from Ocei you travel across the ocean to a newly discovered land filled with treasures waiting to be unearthed.

Your job is to travel the land, find new dungeons, and map them, as the Frontier Explorers.

This game is rather simple, a bunch of maps, and your party working together to clear each dungeon. Upon clearing it, you move to the next. Bios aren't too big a deal, as this is more some fun for me and you.

Still, there does need to be a rule to this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzy5pptnfv14skj/Players%20Handbook%20v2.3.1.pdf?dl=1
Book of Rules.

Discord for FEF/https://discord.gg/m2NgWqy

Abridged Rulebook with all the flavor taken out.
PTW. Might not be much better but here's an abridged version of the same rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dec14o72r9tcw4t/Players%20Handbook%20v2.3.1%20Abridged.pdf?dl=1

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Order of Actions (click to show/hide)

Players
Rykvaard of Greanias, Human Knight. (Serious Concentrate)
Virgil, Drow Scavenger. (Glass)
Fiodior Airguard, Elvish Mage. (xelada)
John Chadwick, Human Necromancer. (Shadowclaw777)
Cecile Remaut, Human Pegasus Rider. (Wolfhunter107)
Klara Amelia Noble, Human Trobairitz. (ctsun)

Game now in the creation phase. Make sure to finalize your Weapon and Affinity Choice.
Virgil and Klara Amelia Noble both get 1 from each of their weapon categories. Hidden and Dark for Virgil, and Bow and Staff for Klara Amelia Noble.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:13:10 pm by TricMagic »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Dungeon's Hollow(OoC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 08:00:45 pm »

...that is a 184 page player's handbook.

Is there a more condensed explanation of the rules for people who are interested in the idea but have A. never played before and B. not much time to try and wrap their head around a very large rulebook?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ctsun

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 10:15:19 pm »

PTW. Might not be much better but here's an abridged version of the same rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dec14o72r9tcw4t/Players%20Handbook%20v2.3.1%20Abridged.pdf?dl=1

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:39:30 pm »

...94 pages.
I suppose that's moderately better.
Even if it does appear that what that means is that half the book was pictures and flavor text.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:34:32 am »

Posted discord and abridged rulebook.

Discord is good for tips, and Mug help. Though It isn't entirely necessary to have the mug done before the sheet, just that they'd be nice to have.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:35:02 am »

...94 pages.
I suppose that's moderately better.
Even if it does appear that what that means is that half the book was pictures and flavor text.

It was, because the Character Classes alone take about 3/4? of the handbook.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 03:52:01 am »

I am going to try to build a Scavenger character. And I'm going to walk through the various steps.

...I suppose I should look at the actual character sheet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, ah, apparently starting weapons aren't here. Ok. I also don't know what this whole bit is:
Code: [Select]
PF/
PS/
PS//
PS///
Anyway, I'll come up with actual character stuff later; it's 3 in the morning here.
If I can get any advice, that'd be wonderful!

PART 2: Ok, I'm awake again, and I know what the personal flaws and skills are, as well as the character skill.
I think I'll take Pass for the character skill. Mobility is nice, and while celerity would be more useful if I have a straight shot to my destination, pass will probably be more effective when combat is actually underway.
As for the personal flaw and skills...
I feel like it makes sense for skill one to be +10 Hit and Evade after moving at least half my speed, and for skill two to be +10 Crit if I attacked last turn.
And the flaw. Hmn.
I'm thinking my guy would be trying to avoid getting locked into combat with any one enemy in particular. So, I'm thinking that if my target attacked me on their turn, I have -2 DMG, and it's time to go strike someone else.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:06:53 pm by Glass »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 01:43:59 pm »

PF/ If the target has attacked 'this character' on their last turn, the character loses 2 DMG until their next turn.
PF/ If an enemy attacked you during the last Enemy Phase, -2 Damage against that target until the end of the next Enemy Phase.
The second is.. You attacked last turn, so you get +10 Crit for the next two turns.
PS// If the character initiated on the last turn, the character gains +10 Critical until the end of this turn.
This one means you need to have initiated an attack last turn, and you get +10 Crit for this turn.
Though even with that, it would still be too active. But it's the third skill so that gets the pass at least, since those are usually stronger.

Effectively, the PF is written incorrectly to be viable.

> PF/ If the target has attacked the character on their turn, the character loses 2 DMG until their next turn.

|If the target| applies to an enemy you yourself are targeting.
|has attacked the character on their turn|. This states that the enemy you are targeting attacked you on their Enemy Phase.

|the character loses 2 DMG until their next turn.| And this states that by targeting that enemy, you will lose 2 DMG dealt in calculations for the Player Phase and Enemy Phase. But the issue is that a target implies that you yourself are targeting them, meaning it is unlikely to trigger at all.

There are ways to fix this, from changing Target to Enemy, or as written above.

PF/ If the target>[enemy] has attacked this character on their last turn, the character loses 2 DMG until their next turn>[the end of this turn].

By changing Target to Enemy, it means that the condition can trigger on the enemy phase and player phase. The latter half is simply a QoL word change.

PS// If the character has attacked on their previous turn, the character gains +10 Critical until their next turn.

|If the character has attacked on their previous turn| can apply to both initiation and counterattacks.

|the character gains +10 Critical until their next turn.| This case means that the PS will trigger at the start of the turn during Player Phase, and last until the end of the turn after this turn.

PS// If the character has attacked>[initiated an attack] on their previous turn, the character gains +10 Critical until their next turn>[the end of this turn].

Simple enough fix, which means you need to initiate to gain the effect next turn.

Probably best to remember that the GM Rules over things. As written, it would always be active when you take an attack or initiate an attack.

If there are any other GMs who think I am incorrect, go ahead and say so, I'll take it into consideration. I might be fine with a has attacked trigger, and this was just my first impression of the skill. But then, I usually look at all four as a whole before deciding, rather than 1 at a time.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 02:26:01 pm »

Please remember that I have no idea what I'm doing .-.

Anyway, revised sheet with reworded flaw and skill:

Now I suppose the question is going to be of who this person is.
Can I get my affinity, first, though? I feel like knowing what element my character is aligned with could help me solidify what I want their identity to be.

Also, an explanation of what affinities actually entail would be nice. :p
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:23:35 am by Glass »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 02:38:20 pm »

Affineties are rolled for before the game start.

I roll 2d10, and if the second number is the same as the first, reroll that one till it's different.

You then pick from one of those two, or ask for a reroll, in which case the 1d10, with the reroll result being your affinity.

Quote from: Book
The player must take up an Affinity at the start of the game, but they are not allowed to personally select their own directly. The GM will roll 2 numbers that are directly correlated to an affinity:

1 Fire
2 Wind
3 Anima
4 Light
5 Dark
6 Thunder
7 Ice
8 Water
9 Heaven
10 Earth

The player must pick one of the two. If neither is to their liking, they can choose to roll a different number. Once rerolled the player can’t change the result, and must stick with the affinity rolled. 

Your affinity and that of your support partner affects your support bonuses, as in the book. See Affinity & Supports for info on that.

I'll note that Bios aren't super important for this game, so get a mug and that will mostly be that. Assuming more players appear.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:41:01 pm by TricMagic »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 10:24:47 pm »

I need someone to make a mug for me .-. I have no idea how to do it and it would probably look like shit if I tried.

Also, I'm thinking my person will be named Virgil.
It's a cool name.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 04:05:06 pm »

The only interested class I like is Baron as it reminds me of Al from FMA. Just not used to FEF and well stuff like that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 04:22:16 pm »

Come join the discord for plenty of help then~ And I'll likely go over the basics as they come up too.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 05:23:46 pm »

ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 04:11:19 am »

Might as well throw a knight in to guide the new players.

"The dungeons are dangerous, but there is no glory to be won without danger." (Mug credits: Eldritch Abomination for Elfin's eyes, Lenh for the hair/headband combo and part of the collar, NickT for the majority of the clothing. I only did splicing, recoloring, and a tiny bit of editing on the fur on the right side of the neck.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also got bored, did two things. First is a small battle token made from an Ike by Iscaneus, just to show off Rykve's surcoat and house colors (blue and red, so original :P) and the other is a map sprite I cobbled together from vanilla assets.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:04:14 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3