00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240370 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2020, 06:03:41 pm »

I'm not sure what would be the best use of our time, but I thought it might be pleasant to spend some time bonding with Emma and try to figure out how she feels about us.
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2020, 09:58:43 pm »

I'm not sure what would be the best use of our time, but I thought it might be pleasant to spend some time bonding with Emma and try to figure out how she feels about us.
+1

Absolutely worthwhile. +1

Make sure to mention Billy said goodbye last night, if we haven't already.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2020, 10:56:20 pm »

After last night, you entertain the notion of feeling directionless, of just laying in bed and doing nothing for the whole day. It lasts all of ten minutes, before the grumble of your stomach rouses you to rummage through the communal kitchen. You re-heat some leftover grain-meal as your silent, lonely lunch. You don't really want to find Emma, despite something urging you to, not right now at least. She isn't in the dormitory, so that gives you a great excuse to avoid this awkwardness for the time being.

Instead, your body protests your laziness, and you give in to its demands. You head towards the exercise section of the compound, taking in the cold noon-day air. You shed your coat and your mesh, pausing to stretch yourself out. Then you start jogging around the track. It isn't long before you're sprinting, pushing yourself harder and harder until your lungs burn and your legs ache. Next is the obstacle course, then another lap, then push-ups, until even your endurance begins to flag. You take heaving, ragged breaths, sweat dripping from your forehead as you rest against the concrete wall.

[11] Emma is the one to find you, in the end. She looks surprised when she notices you panting for breath, remarking with a wry smile, "I don't think I've actually seen you sweat before."

"It does happen, every now and then." You reply, evenly, giving a smile, "William said goodbye, by the way."

Emma nods, awkwardly. You sit silently, trying to figure out how to broach the subject with her.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:59:46 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 05, 2020, 11:34:42 pm »

Uh...  Maybe...

"I wanted to apologize to you for the raid last night.  I know you didn't want me to go, but I was afraid that if I didn't act, they would try to hurt you again or hurt your family.  I couldn't risk that."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:32:03 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 06, 2020, 03:34:04 am »

[1]"I understand." Emma doesn't seem swayed by your apology, but doesn't press anything. She smiles at you, after a beat, offering a hand to help you up, "Want to go get some dinner, somewhere? The festival in town is open again, and the Crusaders are patrolling a bit more heavily than before."

You, always game for free food, agree, heading out past the gates. You notice Emma is openly wearing her 'new' las-pistol now, right on her hip. It prompts an uncomfortable realization about her mental state; an increase in paranoia and fear. The town, while quieter than it was on the first day of the 'festival', is quite lively. Students are out in full force, taking in the night's food and drink. They huddle together in groups, tightly-knit but welcoming. The vendors themselves offer you great deals, especially Emma. A practiced, false smile curls her lips as she declines gift after gift. She lets you pick the restaurant, but, before she does, she pulls you aside to murmur something quietly.

"Hey, just remember that...sometimes killing isn't always the answer? Please?" She offers, haltingly. There's an accusation in there, you feel, but brush it off, simply nodding in return.

Spoiler: The Rising Glass (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Smiling Bird Bakery (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Peterson's Butchery (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 06, 2020, 03:38:57 am »

My vote is for the Smiling Bird Bakery.  We wouldn't be able to hear her at The Rising Glass, and I'd rather avoid the food poisoning at Peterson's Butchery.  Plus, with fewer people, it'll be easier to be wary of any potential attackers.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 06, 2020, 04:23:36 am »

My vote is for the Smiling Bird Bakery.  We wouldn't be able to hear her at The Rising Glass, and I'd rather avoid the food poisoning at Peterson's Butchery.  Plus, with fewer people, it'll be easier to be wary of any potential attackers.

+1

Little strange to eat breakfast for dinner, but very convenient!

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 06, 2020, 06:26:03 am »

+1

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 06, 2020, 06:31:05 am »

+1

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 06, 2020, 01:28:06 pm »

The bakery does indeed have fewer customers loitering within its walls. For the most part, the mood is sedate, a calm stream of workers purchasing bread for their nightly meal. Emma and you claim a seat right beside the warm fireplace, taking in the heat radiating out from it in comfortable silence. A younger man breaks away from the back, dusting the flour from his hands and approaching your table with a list of local bread and pastries.

You both start with tea, looking over the menu while the young man bustles behind the counter to prepare your drinks. Several options have been crossed out as time as gone on, but it still leaves you with a wide selection.

Code: [Select]
[croissants]
[apple]/[fig] [strudels]
[fig] [strudel]
[apple] [strude]
[Beef] and potato meat pies
Deep-fried dough crisps
Cheese and potato pie

[Apple] cake
[Blackberry] wine iced [vanilla] cake

[Oat] Bread
[Potato] Bread
[Apple] Bread
[White Wheat] Bread
[Black Wheat] Bread

Emma sets down her menu, ordering the beef and potato meat pie, and the young server turns to you, flashing a smile your way as he waits patiently. After your order, he heads back into the kitchen to prepare it. Emma asks, idly, "So, have you given any thought to what posting you're going to try and do after the Academy?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 06, 2020, 03:35:06 pm »

"Might join the crusaders. Might just take up a scholar's quill and live out my days peaceful-like. A peaceable life sounds nice right about now."

"How about you?"

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 06, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »

"Might join the crusaders. Might just take up a scholar's quill and live out my days peaceful-like. A peaceable life sounds nice right about now."

"How about you?"

+1

Order the [Blackberry] wine iced [vanilla] cake.  That sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:41:07 pm by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 06, 2020, 04:56:06 pm »

"How about you?"

+1

Order the [Blackberry] wine iced [vanilla] cake.  That sounds amazing.
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 06, 2020, 10:51:37 pm »

The young baker glances between the two of you, before dipping a respectful nod. He returns with your order a short time later. For Emma, he sets down a steaming hot pastry, dripping with gravy. Beneath the creamy brown jus is a fluffy crust that shines gold, dotted with a few dark spots where it was heated unevenly.

For you, he sets down a cake-stand, with an entire cake on it. It's only iced on the top, with a slightly melty, purple buttercream. Drizzles of what you assume are the wine, or a reduction of it, top that, along with preserved [blackberries]. The cake, aside from that, is crumbly and delicious, heated only a little. It tastes fresh, and sweet, with the preserved blackberries adding a sour finish to the experience.

Emma looks surprised, brow furrowing. "You'd consider being a Scholar?" You give her a significant glance, and she backtracks hastily, "I'm sorry, it's just...you're so good at…"

She gestures awkwardly, finishing lamely, "I don't know. My family wants me to get involved with Medicine while I'm with the Scholars. But they can't pull me out if I pick something else."

"A lot of people think you'll go Crusader. A lot of our friends say they would serve with you, if you went that way. They wanted me to find out this week." Emma admits, changing the subject. She almost seems excited, smiling across the table and taking another forkful of pastry. "Would you really be interested in being a Scholar?"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:10:33 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 06, 2020, 11:20:16 pm »

"It's like you said, killing isn't always the answer.  Too much death can take a toll.  Restraint is often a better path, and I do happen to be interested in theological matters as they relate to the holy SEED... and demons.  I haven't made up my mind, however, so either are still possibilities."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:30:38 pm by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 381