00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 238979 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #480 on: March 08, 2020, 01:09:53 am »

If we're going to explore more thoroughly what we're capable of, we need to know what exactly we're attempting.

Whatever we do, it'll have to be subtle. We're not on the field of battle anymore; we're on Academy ground and there's the distinct possibility that somebody could be watching us without our knowledge. To that end, whatever we do should furthermore (if possible) be low-cost: Academy food is portioned the same for everyone; we can't really afford to be burning up the extra calories unless we supplement that food from our own pocket somehow.

With that in mind, I'd suggest we head out on the track once or twice over the coming days and practice channeling power through our body as we run. Perhaps we can tap into our active reserves to make ourselves still faster, still slower to tire than we already are.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:24 am »

If we're going to explore more thoroughly what we're capable of, we need to know what exactly we're attempting.

Whatever we do, it'll have to be subtle. We're not on the field of battle anymore; we're on Academy ground and there's the distinct possibility that somebody could be watching us without our knowledge. To that end, whatever we do should furthermore (if possible) be low-cost: Academy food is portioned the same for everyone; we can't really afford to be burning up the extra calories unless we supplement that food from our own pocket somehow.

With that in mind, I'd suggest we head out on the track once or twice over the coming days and practice channeling power through our body as we run. Perhaps we can tap into our active reserves to make ourselves still faster, still slower to tire than we already are.
+1
Also, I’ve been thinking about why Healing Factor doesn’t work too well right now. I’m thinking it’s because we are beginners and maybe beginning healing works better on small wounds

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:57 am »

Small wounds nothing-- Healing Factor straight-up knit our spine back together. That thing's amazing-- we just got a bad roll trying to apply it in a way we never had before.

Alas, I don't see a great way to practice it further. We'd have to injure ourself or someone else repeatedly, and that's a thing I'm... reluctant to do.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 08, 2020, 01:38:59 am »

Agreed. How we learned what powers we had was so far just learned by attempting. I agree our current magic skills aren’t ones that can be practiced without causing damage

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 08, 2020, 01:43:00 am »

I suppose we could volunteer in a hospital or something, but I really don't want to find out what happens when that power goes wrong...

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 08, 2020, 01:46:59 am »

You decide to spend the day with Emma outside of the Academy, regardless of your internal deliberation. You drift in and out of bars and restaurants, both of you spending your money equally. You both experiment with your affection for one another, happily. The night finds the two of you sharing the same bed, a high that any drug in this world could never provide you. At first, you were concerned you couldn't truly reciprocate her affection, but today proves that was an unfounded worry. You don't remember ever feeling like this about anyone.

You fall asleep with her holding you close murmuring softly to you, gently informing you that she doesn't mind the boundary or your secret, "Sleep well, my [demon]."

For once, it doesn't make you bristle to be called that.

[3][2/1d4][19]

The worlds change, but the battlefield is always there. Through ice and magma, smoke and brimstone, you fight on. There's a brother at your side, happily laughing as the two of you bring death upon your foes. The rifle feels good in your hands, the bloodlust freeing your mind from the shackles of nihilism that consume your down-time. Freeing you from the cold embrace of the too empty halls of your home. Here, there is change. Here, there is freedom.

Blood. There's so much blood. No one should bleed that much. His face twisted into a rictus of death as a silvery entity rips great shreds from his body. It drops his corpse with a sickening crunch, stepping on it with twisting, writhing claws, sending more of his blood splattering out across the cold metal.

You run, and it chases you--

Emma is pulling you closer, awakening you from the old nightmare. You feel her concern, and you nuzzle back into her in silence. She drifts back to sleep. You do not. Laying in bed and staring at the ceiling, you wait for morning to come like you always do, well-rested on just a few short hours of sleep.

You pretend to sleep when Emma awakens for her morning duties, only lifting yourself from the bed once she politely knocks on your door and calls your name. The routine is comforting. The thought of leaving the Academy to study what you can do once more comes up, and when Emma approaches you, you subtly hint that you have something to do. She's crestfallen but accepting, giving you a kiss and making plans with friends.

[-]The Library isn't quite open yet, but no one resents a Scholar for studying first thing in the morning, so you find it unlocked. You search the index for your...the name, but find nothing. A Book of Angels is your next bet, and you skim through the listings.

Code: (Examples from the Book of Angels) [Select]
Mcreary
McEntire
Node
Crusader of Peace
Tyler
Micheal
Wortsmith

You find nothing after searching for hours, the naming pattern not even close to matching 'Alphira'. The complete list of [demons] is the same, even the Barons of Steel don't have quite the same pattern, having far too many letters and numbers to remember.

Feeling frustrated, you take yourself to the track. With a soft breath and a borrowed watch, you sprint the mile as quickly as possible, coming to the finish line at a low six minutes. You feel no sense of exertion and catch your breath easily. Then, you do a two-mile sprint, and clock about the same average time for each lap. That's a little more difficult.

Then you focus, trying to use the same force that you use to heal yourself, a concentration of will.
[19] The two-mile feels easier, your muscles not even burning with exertion this time. On a whim, you keep the same pace, deciding to sprint as long as you can, as fast as you can. Your time doesn't improve, but your endurance does. It takes ten miles around the track at the same fast-paced sprint, before you even begin to feel the slightest fatigue start to build in your legs and chest. After the fifteenth mile, you begin to slow, starting to ache.

[18]You decide to stop after sprinting twenty miles around the track. You've been running at a full sprint for two hours, and only now do you take labored breaths, your legs feeling weak and chest aching to your satisfaction. You catch your breath on a bench, dripping with sweat. You realize you smell horrible, like cheap [pickles] and head to the showers for a quick wash-up and to clean your sweat-drenched clothes.

One and a half more days of complete freedom.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:02:00 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 08, 2020, 01:55:02 am »

I'm not sure how dangerous it would be... but how about shapeshifting?  In a private area, attempt to subtly and temporarily change our appearance.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 08, 2020, 01:57:57 am »

Mm-kay... we had a brother. We did a lot of fighting. We had... kind of a trashy outlook on life.
Healing Factor works wonders for our endurance.
Oh, and apparently Emma's figured out we ain't human.

Right then.

I'm not sure how dangerous it would be... but how about shapeshifting?  In a private area, attempt to subtly and temporarily change our appearance.

I'd be worried about a bad roll-- we could accidentally change our appearance permanently, in a way we very much hadn't intended. Could draw a lot of unwanted attention.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 08, 2020, 01:59:49 am »

Maybe disrupting weapons at range, then?  That could also be useful.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 08, 2020, 02:15:07 am »

Huh, maybe... best not to test with an actual weapon, though; t'would be hard to do so discretely. Better to start with something small.

...Oh. Oh actually. This gives me a weird idea.
What if we could substitute something else for caloric intake?

Obtain somewhere (go buy one if we have to) a cheap electric flashlight or something similar, find a private spot to experiment, turn it on, and attempt to siphon the power off it into ourself.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2020, 02:15:44 am »

Ooh I like that.

Huh, maybe... best not to test with an actual weapon, though; t'would be hard to do so discretely. Better to start with something small.

...Oh. Oh actually. This gives me a weird idea.
What if we could substitute something else for caloric intake?

Obtain somewhere (go buy one if we have to) a cheap electric flashlight or something similar, find a private spot to experiment, turn it on, and attempt to siphon the power off it into ourself.
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2020, 02:18:01 am »

Imagine, if we could let off a comm-killing EMP blast and empower ourselves with it. :))

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2020, 03:48:49 am »

I tweaked the colors on the powers since red just doesn't seem thematic. Maybe dark red? Possible.

[15] You shake your long hair dry as you walk to town, running your fingers through it in an effort to dry it faster. You contemplate growing it out more to test if...you can change shape. If that's possible, from what you currently know of biology, you reason that you could try changing fat and bone after that. The concept doesn't sound that ridiculous, but you feel a strange attachment to your current form that you just can't shake. That problem existing in the first place makes you once again realize how strange you are.

[17] You find a traveling merchant, deeper in town, away from the neighborhood tourist trap designed around the Academy entrance. He has a small, solar charging lamp with a large battery, for [.2 credits] in local currency. Your cut of Emma's bet money pays for most of it, and assorted pocket-change pays for the rest. On the way, you purchase two loaves of [black wheat] bread, to soothe your aching stomach if the plan doesn't work out. In total, you spent [.25 credits] of local currency.

[5]Prizes in hand, you retreat back towards the Academy. There's a patch of bramble and trees in the farmland surrounding the town, and you take shelter there, knowing full well from previous experience that its as good of cover for this activity as you're going to get. You unscrew the machine's housing with your fingers and take out the battery, focusing on it.

[3]You notice that it disrupts the local magnetic field around it with a strange sort of not feeling, like something pressuring a second skin ever so slightly. You focus, trying to suck the energy you feel within -- and nothing happens. Then you expend energy into it, wondering if the process needs assistance.

[8] It pops in your hand, and you start, trying to drop it before anything else drips on your fingers. Its too late, though, and your hand begins to hurt, a few pieces of your skin slowly burning away in curious peels from the palm of your hand. For an agonizing second, you feel all the pain-- and then it's gone. It isn't as difficult as one might think to watch your own hand burn and be unable to do anything about it, but you wonder if this should be traumatizing.

[13] You sit with your hand outstretched from your body, taking a quick bite to eat with your not horribly burned hand, The bread nearly vanishes into your mouth, and you barely chew. You apply your will to your body, trying once more to hurry the healing. It takes a moment, and the pain doubles you over as your focus shifts. Your skin grows back, mending together until it's sealed together with nasty grey scabs. Your skin doesn't burn again, whatever acid thankfully either boiling off or running out of energy for the reaction.

[2]Suddenly unable to focus, the world spins and reorients itself. You reach up, gingerly, and find yourself laying on your back, with blood dripping from one of your eyes. It doesn't hurt as much as it did a few nights ago, but you have a pounding headache.

You lay there for a while, watching a few ragged clouds form in the sky. When you feel well enough to rise, you do so, snagging the last loaf of bread to soothe your stomach. It doesn't work.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:17:15 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2020, 11:32:06 am »

Maybe we should stop experimenting for a bit before we fuck ourselves up really bad.

Let us go get some food so we don't starve.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2020, 11:35:30 am »

Maybe we should stop experimenting for a bit before we fuck ourselves up really bad.

Let us go get some food so we don't starve.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 381