00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 238970 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #1605 on: April 04, 2020, 12:42:33 am »

"I'm sure Emma has told you many wonderful things about me!" The sarcasm drips from Mary's voice as she looks to Emma, who begins to inspect the line of cooking stoves and other machinery, taking a special interest in a random cook slotting rabbits on to a spit. Mary laughs, gesturing at a bar nearby. "Take a seat, I know why you've come to me first!"

"Well, I wanted to see you." Emma grins, but takes a seat as Mary bustles into a massive walk-in fridge.

"Sure, sure! More like you wanted to show off your lover. Pheobe Gainer. Related to Black Nicky, no doubt. I knew you had a firm grip since I shook your hand!"

Mary, despite her size, is all deft movements, only glancing at the two of you when Emma asks her to make triple the amount for you. "Big eater?"

She cooks for a little while, the smell of herbs and the sizzling of food in the pan filling the air. She puts heaping plates of eggs, pancakes and sausage potato hash in front of the two of you. She sits down with a bottle of wine, which she drinks without a cup, eying the two of you as you dig into the meal.

Mary, is, without a doubt, the best chef who's the food you had the honor of tasting. The eggs are light, fluffy, moist, salted and filled with mountain herbs. The hash is crisp on the outside and exploding with flavor, the insides soft and sweet, complimenting the carmalized sausage and soft onions. The pancakes are like biting into a yeasty, sweet cloud, and the syrup she makes, then offers, only serves to improve an already amazing dish.

By the end of it, you and Emma are stuffed, watched by a grinning and triumphant Chef Mary. Half of the new bottle of wine is gone, and she has a rosy tinge to her cheeks. "Good, right."

"Could've used more salt." Emma snarks, feeding bits of sausage to a hungry Mitch.

"It was perfect." You offer, with a genuine smile.

"Easy there girl, you got something brown on your nose!" Mary points a finger at your nose.

"So...Mary, as wonderful as it is to see you, I was wondering if you could catch me up on everything."

Mary suddenly looks serious, draining the bottle as she looks to Emma. "He's pissed. Brooding in his room. Not eating. I'd be worried about Billy losing a hand if it wasn't for the new limbs. We've never lost so many before."

"He must have seen the gains we've made." Emma protests, her levity gone.

"He sees the losses. The money. The land. I won't tell you otherwise even if you ask me in private."

Emma sighs, leaning into you. Mitch squirms from her pocket, jumping on the table to lick at the empty plates. Mary eyes the puppy, trying to prod it off with her empty bottle. It snaps, biting into the glass and shattering it. The Chef frowns, and, instead of messing with the puppy more, she calls for a steak.

Mitch eats noisily, gnawing on the sinewy and fatty piece of insect flesh. Meanwhile, Mary fills Emma in on all the goings on in the castle with a practiced air. By the time she and Emma are finished, the kitchen is at full steam, and Mitch sits in broken glass happily, sleeping off its most recent meal.

"Be careful you don't lose fingers with those two." Mary calls after you and Emma, as you gently lift the puppy off the table and leave the kitchen. Emma sticks her tongue out at Mary, turning to you with a giddy grin, "Hey! Where would you like to see first?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 04, 2020, 12:46:21 am »

"Anywhere! Everywhere!" Laugh. "You know all the best spots here, I'm sure."
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 04, 2020, 12:48:53 am »

"Anywhere! Everywhere!" Laugh. "You know all the best spots here, I'm sure."
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 04, 2020, 01:14:47 am »

"Scenery, history, or interesting?" Emma asks in return, "We'll be here all day, so I'll show you all of it, but where to first?"

"Scenery." You answer, grinning back. After brief detour to the empty kennel area, where you deposit Mitch into a bundle of old cloth in a heated room, you follow Emma.

The tower is indeed a magnificent view of the scenery, commanding a lookout overflowing hills, smooth valleys, and even rugged cliffs. The mountains rise into the distance above, flowing into hills and valleys line with small farms and villages. Flowing rivers cut through the stone, carving away red and gray granite, smoothing the walls of immense cliffs into soft, sloping pastures for [beasts of burden]. Away, in the distance, you see a glimpse of what the planet was before, you assume, SEED's impact. Its a flat sandy-gray, populated by sparse grasses, the occasional blue blimp of roving [beasts of burden] and great craters, some filled with gleaming red waters. The sun melts the snow, and you can see hardy grasses peeking through, trying to get the last bit of sunlight they can before winter truly arrives.

Then she leads you down, through three different libraries. One, with a glimpse of the spines, is filled with mostly technical treatises on the world around you. Many bear the emblem of SEED. The next, is filled with old books, and a trio of women, the eldest of who dictates to the middle-aged, while the youngest copies word for word into another book.
They dip nods to Emma as the two of you pass by, but keep focused on their task. The next library is filled with books on military matters and is much smaller. Instead, a good majority of the room is filled with a line of old armor and weapons.

You pause here as Emma hangs off you. The first armor is a set of primitive leather and studded iron. The next is something approaching brigandine, and the next is full plate. Soon after that, however, is the plastics of SEED, impressed upon iron to reinforce it while giving mobility. Next is kevlar, with steel bands-- and then it comes to what you know, the off-white plastic armor that SEED provides.

The weapons follow a similar progression. Crude revolvers and long swords dwindling down into the sharp lines of las-guns and combat knives. At the very end, however, you notice that there is a space being cleared. The armor stand being set up is roughly [eight feet tall], and the weapons that fill the case in front of it are all Thornton Brand; a massive cutter hilt and a de-activated fusion reactor based assault rifle.

"Our Family is old." Emma offers, by way of explanation. "The west was the last place to be...'civilized' by SEED."

You're led into the basement next-- but you can feel it through the floorboards. The energetic heartbeat of a massive fusion reactor. Down, down further you go, until you see it. It's huge! Thin old men in red robes check gauges, pump hydrogen and purge contaminants. "It powers the entire town. The outlying villages rely on solar power, of course, but a lot of our basement levels are power hogs-- I'll show you the research and development areas after...tomorrow."

Finally, you retrieve Mitch, who gnaws on the steel structure of its kennel with a sense of boredom. It seems to perk up when you pick it up, snapping at you-

[6 vs 10] And its teeth connect with your flesh, leaving you with a bloody hand. Emma scolds it, even as the wound, shallow as it is, seals itself quickly with scab tissue.

The next stop in your trip around the castle is, unsurprisingly, Emma's bedroom. It's larger than any bedroom you've even seen. A large four-poster bed, a desk surrounded by ornate, wooden bookcases and a fireplace, crackling away with a contained hydrogen fire. The two of you set Mitch down, and he curls up beside the fire.

The two of you do not follow his lead-- instead, you curl up with each other.

A few hours, and a scandalized house servant later, you pull on your freshly laundered 'dress' clothes, just in time for William to knock at the door. "The Banquet is ready, Em. Phebe. Get ready." Opening the door after he leaves, you find a small box-- with a set of las-pistols within.

How do you prepare for tonight?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:17:50 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 04, 2020, 01:17:49 am »

"Emma, who are your staunchest loyalists here?  How many troops do you command?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 04, 2020, 01:34:45 am »

"Emma, who are your staunchest loyalists here?  How many troops do you command?"

+1

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:55 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 04, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »

"I have a mirror that can show you both answers." Emma replies, pulling on a pair of dress pants. She takes the Las-pistol holster and straps it to her belt. You follow suit. "I've got nothing Pheobe, except a network of informants. William has roughly thirty of his men. There's sixty of my father's. All Warmachines."

"My guess is William and Father will argue over it. Maybe William will have to fight. He's been training hard though. Every waking hour. Unless his life or limb is threatened, we're staying out of it. If he sways the soldiers, father will have no choice. If he doesn't..." Emma leans over to kiss you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:53:35 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 04, 2020, 01:19:47 pm »

You and Emma rise from your bed after your embrace, and you can feel the weight of the future pressing down. You and Emma both check your las-pistols and step out into the corridor. Every step is slow, cumbersome, and you can feel your muscles tense. Emma leads you down the hall, and you step into a massive dining room, filled with people. It's quiet, despite the crowd, only faint murmurings drifting out from the bunches of people.

Seats at all the first row of tables are left vacant, with filled glasses of wine sitting unattended. There's probably twenty and a half of these empty spots, and you can feel your heart sink. At the first table you see, sits William, alone, head resting on his hands. In front of him is an overturned, empty glass.

William is focused on the seats on the dais in front of him, on a large, ornate wooden chair that sits empty. Several people sit elevated there, clad in elegant tunics and greatcoats. There's only one empty one seat elevated above the rest, besides the main seat, at its right hand.

Emma comes to a stop. Her grip tightens on your hand.

[1]Sitting on the table, beside William, is another overturned glass, with an open chair in front of it.  Then you realize what this all resembles-- a trial. "Damnit," Emma whispers.

You look to her in confusion.

"Father means to try you the same as, William." Her eyes linger on the chair beside the head of the household's. Softly, she whispers, "Do you trust me?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 04, 2020, 01:33:56 pm »

"Always."

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 04, 2020, 01:45:32 pm »

"Always."
+1 “what’s the plan?”
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:49:53 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 04, 2020, 01:48:39 pm »

Emma hasn't time to tell us, methinks-- hence the trust thing.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:35 pm »

Emma hasn't time to tell us, methinks-- hence the trust thing.
oh, ok, will edit the plan bit out

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:41 pm »

"Then sit beside William." Emma gestures to the table, her head hanging low as she leaves you. She takes her place at the head table, at the only empty seat there, flashing smiles to those that try to strike up a conversation. You, you do as your bid, taking a seat beside William.

[7] He doesn't greet you, eyes on the empty throne directly in front of him. Through the...connection? You share, you can tell that he's afraid.

You wait in silence.

From a side door, William Senior emerges. His long blond hair hanging around his shoulder, thin and patchy from age. His skin is pale, paler than anyone you've seen on this world. He walks with the help of a cane, and each step radiates pain and effort. A small fusion reactor hums on his person, and the faint clanking of machinery can be heard radiating out from him. He looks tired, haggard, and unwashed.

He takes his seat at the throne and looks down upon his son and you. He doesn't address the two of you yet, instead taking his glass of wine. The crowd of quiet people mimic his movements. William and you are unable to.

"To those that have fallen. We honor their memory and  the memory of all brave Thorntons." He toasts, loudly, his voice echoing through the silent hall. Everyone drains their glass, setting it back down. "Unfortunately, before we can continue our remembrance, we must judge the two who lead them to their deaths. My prodigal son and Alphira, 'the Angel of SEED'."

"Let it be known; I have no intention of harming Alphira, as that falls far beyond my power." His dark eyes drift to William, he doesn't promise the same. "Alphira, as guest, you have the right to speak first, and the longer I don't have to hear the sniveling of the beast beside you that I once called son the better. What is your defense for the loss of twenty five Thorntons?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 04, 2020, 02:49:57 pm »

"I honor the brave sacrifices of the Thorntons that came to my aid.  Without them, the battle would surely have been lost and the new King of the Dead would have assaulted the Holy City, throwing our world into abrupt chaos."

"Their involvement in the battle saved more lives than were lost, and the Thorntons will be remembered as brave and determined allies.  There is much power and influence to be gained if you will continue to support our efforts."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:52:05 pm by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 381