00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240391 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3450 on: May 10, 2020, 03:34:24 pm »

The next to take her essence. If no one does, and we decay to non-existence, then our instances die with her. Cadet branches become the Main, and our other instances live on. Poorer for the lack of Pheonix's will, of course

[14][10][9]

There is no dignity in death. I feel. Do you feel the same?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: May 10, 2020, 03:35:52 pm »

I don't think she would want to abandon her people while her strength still remains. Her story is not yet complete.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: May 10, 2020, 03:38:54 pm »

If we can avoid death, we should do so. If our body is to die, we must transfer our minds to someone. How do we explain the situation to the Crusaders? Who don’t know about transferring essences? If Emma or William we’re here, one of them could take our essence. Can a non Emoereal human be given our essence? If so, we should transfer to one of the Crusaders

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: May 10, 2020, 03:55:59 pm »

‘Μὴ δή μοι θάνατόν γε παραύδα, φαίδιμ᾽ Ὀδυσσεῦ.
Speak not comfortably to me of death, oh great Odysseus.

βουλοίμην κ᾽ ἐπάρουρος ἐὼν θητευέμεν ἄλλῳ,
Rather would I live on ground as the hireling of another

ἀνδρὶ παρ᾽ ἀκλήρῳ, ᾧ μὴ βίοτος πολὺς εἴη,
with a landless man who had no great livelihood,

ἢ πᾶσιν νεκύεσσι καταφθιμένοισιν ἀνάσσειν.
than bear sway among all the dead that be departed.

Homer. The lament of Achilleas, on the pale fields of Elysium. What good is a noble demise, when thus we forsake the living?
This body. Can it be salvaged yet?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:57:45 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 10, 2020, 05:56:36 pm »

She still has much to do indeed. She sleeps comfortably. Otherwise the pain would make her wish for death. Do not wake me again, Children. I am... angry in my old age.

Your eyelids are barely responsive, but they slowly flicker open. Your throat and nose are full of tubes. Saline drips into your veins. A machine forces air into your lungs. Pain, horrible pain, consumes you entirely. Your cores are not suppressing it.

A probe of willpower, examining your chest --

Humans were not meant to take a las-shot from a Hover-craft. Beneath the bandages, beneath the padding that keeps your organs from falling out -- your thoracic cavity lies bared to the world. Fractured messes of black bone, hastily stitched together organs. Thin tendrils of your essence work in the places of muscles ruptured. The bandages are red with blood.

You try to heal yourself instinctively -- and black out.

It's days later when you awaken again. Unable to move, tied to machines that bring only pain. Fear, anger, disgust...it all wells inside, too potent for words. It takes long for Pheonix to form a coherent sentence through the pain.

I'm scared.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:02:30 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: May 10, 2020, 06:21:43 pm »

As am I.

"Good Doctor": of all of us, you are most skilled in the healing arts. Guide the essence.
Bolster the essence. Do what you may to mend this vessel.
Those of you who remember pain: help me now to take it unto myself. Our honored daughter should not have to bear it all.

Too long have we advised and done nothing. Too long have we left this one to suffer alone.
No more.

No more.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:25:46 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: May 10, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »

I will do what I can. Phoenix, you've escaped with your life. You're safe. There is no need to fear.

Try to get a sense of the injuries, both physical and mental.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: May 10, 2020, 08:42:07 pm »

I will do what I can. Phoenix, you've escaped with your life. You're safe. There is no need to fear.

+1 I’ll try suppressing Phoebe’s pain by taking it into myself
We should feel the pain, too. She mustn’t suffer it all

I’m scared, too. But now we wait and heal.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: May 11, 2020, 08:00:04 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:59 pm »

Your thoracic cavity has suffered a spontaneous steam rupture. Las-guns work by sending pulses of heat energy directly into flesh and tissue, causing it to expand rapidly and explode in a burst of superheated steam. This explosion causes a crater to form from the rapid expansion of gas, rupturing flesh and bone. The 'caliber' that struck you was designed with the intention of shooting down hover-crafts, made to 'tunnel' through metal with violent results. The crater is roughly a foot across, penetrating roughly three inches into your chest. Your lungs, stomach, diaphragm, and have all suffered many avulsions, which, in places, give way to lacerations through the sensitive tissues. A majority of your rib bones have been turned into fragments by the same blast. The ones that survived the expansion have been roughly dislocated from the thoracic vertebrae, spreading outward pass where they should be.

Somebody, you assume Silas, has done his best with the technology available. Staples along with fine stitches hold together frayed organs -- and your will provides a thin membrane to allow them to function at a survivable level. Tubes drain blood to prevent further strain on the system. A crude ventilator system gently pumps an oxygen mixture into your lungs through your nose. A feeding tube snakes it's way down your throat, into your stomach, filled with something greasy and grey looking. You assume nutrient cubes, with enough liquid to make it easily digestible. A saline solution and a bag of blood drip into your veins, attempting to offset the blood loss from such a grievous injury. Padding -- gauze and bandages, fill your insides, damp with disinfectant and healing salve. Another attempt to prevent you from losing too much blood.

Somebody enters, a thin, gaunt young man in a lab coat -- Silas. He looks down at you with mild confusion when your eyes find him. He blinks slowly, then takes a note, despite your twitching fingers. "You're awake. That's...probably not good." Reaching into a nearby drawer in the dull, grey room, he pulls out a syringe. "A blend of painkillers and sedatives designed for you. It's better that you sleep through your healing process." Leaning down, quietly, "For Emma's sake too, darling. I told her that I will only let her see you when you wake up."

"Shake your head no if you do not wish to be put under, Lady Pheonix."

You cannot move.

"Wonderful. Always good to have your informed consent for my medical practices."

[20] You dream in the throes of chemical sleep.

You dream of familiar wills coiling near you. One, a mirror of you, icey blue, cold as the mountains beneath the dying stars in the distant expanses of space-time. The other, old, withered, but strong like a great oak tree, strong in the face of many storms.

The two clash. The oak burns away to nothing, but the roots remain, reaching into the depths of the ground.

You awaken again sometime later, slipping free of your chemical bonds to painful consciousness. You sit in the silence with your pain, probing at your chest -- its healed some by now. They've removed some of the gauze and your organs feel...stronger. Somebody approaches again, and you prepare yourself for another week of fitful, drug-induced sleep. Its a woman, a Crusader Medic. She hovers over you for a moment, noting your focused eyes.

"[Pheonix of Sol. You're awake.]"

You can say nothing, the tubes shoved down your mouth preventing coherent speech -- your lungs probably couldn't bear it.

"[Right. I've brought something for this...]" Cephelia removes a gold and black glove from her white coat, slipping it over your wrist.

[Good Morning Pheobe. You're healing well.]

Transmit my thoughts to speech.

[Affirmative.] Horrible screeching echoes through the room from your wrist -- Cephelia collapses back, startled.

Not those.

Lucille stops transcribing your agony.

"[Cephelia. You've returned.]" Lucille offers weakly, cold and precise.

"[Its been a month since you've sent me out. But I come back to find you all weak and vulnerable. How easy it would be to control you now...were it not for Emma and William...]" Cephelia trails off, looking thoughtful. With a mock sigh, she sits on your bed, brushing your greasy red hair from your eyes with tenderness. "[If only the Empyre could see the scourge of the stars now. How they would laugh, how they would mock.]"

You say nothing.

"[I have an offer for you Pheobe. I will mend your flesh. I will make you whole again until you can knit yourself together again.]"

"[And what can I offer the Ascended with everything?]"

"[Many things Pheobe. But the thing I want most -- your trust. Your friendship. Maybe eventually your affection.]"

"[I have Emma.]"

"[You have an Oracle and a Tin Man. Neither are true Ascended. Neither can do what we do. Neither can speak the language of the Universe and have it jump to their bidding like a loyal pet. The first two are fine for now, however. Do we have a bond?]" Her words dip into the tongue of the High Empyreal, archaic and older than the Endless Empire. The language of bonds, of law -- the language she swore her subservience to you with. It is not a true bond, not a true oath, but she shows that it is not to be taken lightly, the word you give.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:25:18 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: May 11, 2020, 01:13:21 pm »

((Silas doesn't bear the surname VonNost, does he?))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:20:56 pm by Eschar »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: May 11, 2020, 01:20:58 pm »

((Thornton))
”[If you wanted to kill me, you would have done so. As you are helping me, I might be able to trust you. We might be able to become friends.]”

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: May 11, 2020, 02:11:40 pm »

((Thornton))
”[If you wanted to kill me, you would have done so. As you are helping me, I might be able to trust you. We might be able to become friends.]”
+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: May 11, 2020, 02:20:40 pm »

Disturbing.
Necessary.

...she'll want a definite answer. No "might"s.

["You think I keep those two for their power? That was never the way of it."]
["...you have my trust, Cephilia of Lavoisier. Keep it well-- it will not be mended again. My friendship, you had already."]

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: May 11, 2020, 02:43:28 pm »

Disturbing.
Necessary.

...she'll want a definite answer. No "might"s.

["You think I keep those two for their power? That was never the way of it."]
["...you have my trust, Cephilia of Lavoisier. Keep it well-- it will not be mended again. My friendship, you had already."]

+1, this is better
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 381