00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240388 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4695 on: July 27, 2020, 12:32:10 am »

"I won't let you. I'm a pro at this-- I used to be a hostess at a nightclub for a while." Cephie proudly claims as the two of you drain your glasses. When you raise your brow in surprise, she nods. "My entire job was keeping drunks and druggies and teens from killing themselves or someone else."

[13] You nod, handing the cup over to the bartender. You make your way to the buffet line, piling up as many plates as you can carry with food. Cephie balances some on her wrists and her thumb with a wink and a grin. In turn, you levitate them around you, using the natural silicon within the plates to 'hold' on to them. You find an empty table, digging into the food with the ravenous appetite that only an Ascended could bring to bear—whipped mash [potatoes] filled with butter and cream. Red meat steaks, dripping with juices, and seasoned heavily with [pepper] and [rosemary]. Vegetable tarts and gratins. You're chewing on a pastry of sweet plums when Isela and Eric approach your table.

"Happy birthday, Mother Pheonix. I didn't know." Isela offers politely, cheerfully. Eric stays quiet, a faithful bodyguard sipping water. "I didn't know that you even had one. I know that sounds awful--"

You give her a wave, smiling, "I don't know if it is or not. I guess it's just the day they picked. I don't remember having a birthday or...creation day?"

"Decanting." Cephie offers politely. You turn to look at her, "[If you're loomed, its called your DCANTDay.]"

Isela and Eric look confused but give a small nod as Cephie explains, "Her creation would be called a Decanting."

"Ah. Interesting." Isela nods politely, before glancing to you, "These are some interesting allies you've gained for us, Mother Pheonix. I look forward to seeing them in action."

"You will. I believe they'll start sparring as soon as night falls." You explain, picking at a bit of crunchy pastry. "From what I've seen, I think most if not all of them could take on a Colossus by themselves. At least, their captain can."

After a bit of polite conversation about work, and the council, and the war, Isela excuses herself with a duck of her head. They drift away through the crowd to accost one of the many Voidmarines trudging through the room. You watch as a young woman opens up her suit and steps out to speak more comfortably. The armor stiffens but hangs over her shoulder like a guardian angel.

"[So, how do you know I'm Loomed?]"

"[Don't laugh?]"

You nod.

"[The shape of your belly-button. It's less organic than it should be. When it's more squared than circular, that's usually a hallmark for an old or ill-repaired loom.]"

"[How do you know this?]" You question, shaking your head.

"[Well, y'know, you in--]"

"[No! About the oddly shaped belly button-- SEED have mercy. I actually said that.]"

Cephie giggles, "[Facechanger, remember? It's my job to create a detailed mask to wear.]"

You nod after that. Then -- "Are you wearing a mask right now?"

Cephie smiles at you with sharpened teeth, looking up from her plate. "Are you?"

Neither of you answers the question. Instead, you rise to find one of the Thornton drug peddlers to accost. Cephie approaches him, gesturing for you to go around the other side. When you're in position, Cephie wraps an arm around his shoulder, leaning in close. "So, buddy, what type of stimulants you have fo--"

"Look, Emma made all this stuff free for everyone. No need to threaten. I've got [methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine, lit MDMA], [amphetamines], a [tetrahydrocannabinol] blend -- "

Its Cephie turn to cut him off, "Bug oil?"

The man pauses, squinting at Cephie. "That will cost you."

"Charge it to Lady Pheonix's account -- and we'll take--"

You and Cephie approach the makeshift dancefloor. You, embarrassed and concerned, while Cephie is confident. She directs you gently. Move this way, shift this way, do this, hold here -- and it isn't long before you're enjoying yourself while dancing to the thrumming bass of some random track. A gaunt, skeletal man flicks something on the datapad, and the music shifts--

--you lean on Cephie as you watch the two Voidmarines step foot into a full ring. A blond Family-Woman laugh, standing between the two. The twins from earlier step out of their armor, flexing, and boasting. With an air of practiced bravado, they shove at one another, until they receive two shots of [vokda]. They lock arms, and each toss back the other's shot. With a step back, their armor seals around them. One bears a Red [lion beast, great horned feline] design on his breast, while the other bears a Blue design of the same on his.

The woman hurries out of their way, and the twins take a swing at one another in their armor.

[33 vs. 18] The crack is deafening, as Blue slams his gauntlet hard into the torso of Red. The armor creaks, but Red grabs his opponent's hand as Blue tries to strike him again with a savage uppercut. He twists down, pulling his brother to the ground and stomping on the arm-joint with a sickening pop.

[9 vs. 14] The two haphazardly wrestle with each other on the ground, until Blue twists and swings a fist hard into his brother's sensor array. Then Blue is on top, striking at Red with brutal blows that dent the suits' metal. Whenever Red manages to dodge,  cracks form in the ground below.

[21 vs. 32] Blue keeps up his relentless flurry of blows until Red finally taps on the ground. "See!" Blue booms over to the blond lady, "I told you I was a better figh--"

[40 vs. 28] Red's arm twists back, and he slams his fist into Blue's torso with a sudden burst of energy that sends his brother out of the ring. "And I said I was! You're stronger, you dumb bastard!" Red calls after his brother, laughing. Blue stumbles out of his armor, growling, and Red does the same.

The fight between the two operators is a little less exciting. Gone are the cataclysmic forces that they wielded before, as, without the armor and technology, they are little more than augmented humans. However, the crowd of SEED and Family folk find it amusing and exciting -- that is, until the blonde drags the two out of the ring with a giggle.

[11] Cephie gives you a sudden shove, and you trip into the ring. But you are the epitome of grace and elegance as you arrest your momentum and straighten up.

[5] Eric steps into the ring, with a grin--

The earth spreads out below you, the red and gray rock twisted by the weather into shapes that no computer could genuinely simulate. Your head throbs with the weight of your intoxication, and you feel -- odd. Two figures follow you -- one with wings of fire and one with wings of black-- but you pay them no attention, no second glances. The moonless night hangs heavy with beautiful stars, the entire galaxy twisting itself out before you in the sky's void. At this moment, you are not Pheonix. Not your Ancestors. Not your Line. You are Pheobe Gainer --

..and I am f-free...

You eat breakfast in Cephie's ship with Emma and Cephie herself. Quietly. Emma eats a porridge, flavored with eggs and bacon. Cephie is eating some abomination of a sandwich made from ground meat, the patties bloody and rare. On the other hand, you pick at a bowl of 'stir-fried rice,' trying to tame your writhing stomach.

"We have to attend Service." Emma finally breaks the silence. Cephie gives a nod. You, instead, plant your face on the table and heave a sigh.

"Tell them I'm dead." You grumble.

"Because that will work out so -wonderfully- won't it." Emma snarks, shaking her head and passing you by. She musses your already tangled hair as she leaves. Cephie sniffs, itching at her nose and rising, "I need a shower. I still smell like a bug."

...help me get out of this... You plead to yourself as you're left alone. Should I break my leg? Pretend I tripped?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:39:25 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 27, 2020, 12:52:28 am »

The Interface lives within you.  Use it to defeat the hangover.

Willfully negate the effects of the hangover.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 27, 2020, 09:09:48 am »

Mind over matter, Hangover be gone!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 27, 2020, 09:27:19 am »

How much fine-grained control does the Interface has?

...and could we use it, in extremis, to prevent Plague possession? Kill off any nanites inside us?

((In the meantime, we're gonna pull a Jessica Atriedes and will these intoxicants into submission. Amusing.))

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: July 27, 2020, 10:37:50 am »

Messing with your own neurology and chemical balance with little training is not recommended!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: July 27, 2020, 03:38:16 pm »

I think she means getting us out of attending service. Unfortunately I don’t currently have an idea for how to do that, maybe trying to convince Emma that since we’re hungover, that attending would cause us to miss parts?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: July 27, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »

How much fine-grained control does the Interface has?

...and could we use it, in extremis, to prevent Plague possession? Kill off any nanites inside us?

We had to do exactly that once before, in Rodstadt. It's not foolproof, and there's certain damage left by such infections that only time can heal... but it's a great deal better than nothing. We'd have lost ourself without it.

Good morning!
Try a Healing Surge-- shower off last night's oils-- see if it helps? It'd be problematic, shirking the service held in your name... if that's what you need, of course, we can try and devise an excuse for you. We can try.

No breaking of limbs, I should think.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: July 27, 2020, 09:23:43 pm »

[20] The healing surge removes a great deal of the aches and pains you feel. There's still a touch of dizziness, but you don't feel quite as bad as you did before. You rise, snagging some of the more modest clothes that Cephie has available, and a towel. You climb into the spare shower, letting the boiling hot water pour down over you. Steam rises from the tiles.

You drink your fill before you start scrubbing the oil from your skin--

You and Cephie emerge from the lander into the chaos of the landing pad. The Pirates, the Familia, and the most loyal of SEED are scattered haphazardly across its' entirety. Some are still unconscious, while others stir to devour the breakfast buffet line. Eric waves at you from the buffet line, a huge bruise across one side of his face. The 'Red and Blue' twins are lounging on one of the couches, tangled in a blanket with the blonde. Murdach, you notice, is also unconscious, but still within his armor. Bottle after bottle lays at his feet, as well as what you vaguely remember as drug dispensers.

Cephie sneezes, rubbing at her nose. "Emma says we can meet her and the rest of your retinue at level zero. In like...fifteen minutes" You nod, stepping forward to the buffet line -- you pause when you notice masonry on the floor-- and glancing up, you realize there's a voidmarine shaped crack in the landing pad ceiling.

You don't question it, opting instead to fill up on starches. Eric steals a seat across from you, "Going to be honest with you, Mother Pheonix, that was the most human I've ever seen you act."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: July 27, 2020, 09:29:03 pm »

Now it's our turn to start charging for property damage.

"I can't really remember it.  Did we fight?"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:32:08 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: July 27, 2020, 09:32:44 pm »

"Fighting would imply there was a competition." Eric laughs, rubbing at his jaw and face. "You beat the shit out of me." There's a moment of hesitation, and he frowns. "I'-- I'm sorry, that was too forward of me Mother Pheonix. I would like to also apologize for challenging you. The alcohol got the better of me, and Isela ordered me to relax."

Suddenly, Eric is stiff, straight-backed, his emotions suppressed. His willpower coils tight around him like armor.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 27, 2020, 09:36:46 pm »

"That's alright, Eric.  It was a day specifically for indiscretions and poor decision-making. I'm sorry if I was too rough with you."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: July 27, 2020, 09:54:37 pm »

"Yes, Mother Pheonix. Thank you. Though, I am glad we had that talk last night. It cleared up a lot." Eric bows his head, and you inwardly sigh. You remember no conversation, and, for the briefest of moments, you had hoped Eric would...Nevermind. It's unnecessary.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: July 27, 2020, 10:01:26 pm »

Something on your mind?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: July 27, 2020, 10:06:55 pm »

I think it’s clear she doesn’t want to talk about it, then again, maybe I misinterpreted the signal

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: July 27, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »

[7] No.

You smile and dip him a serene nod, leaving your meal unfinished as you rise from the table and move to the mentioned meeting point.

[20]...my only friends are Cephie and Emma. And...do they even count as friends? William I guess too, but...it's nothing important. I just...

It's nothing. I've a war to win and a galaxy to conquer. Friendships can wait. Its not like I'll ever be able to trust them anyway. Everyone wants something in the end.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 381