00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240415 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4980 on: August 24, 2020, 07:08:10 pm »

Sure, assuming that the Western Outlanders have a similar enough culture to that of the Eastern Outlanders.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: August 24, 2020, 07:19:33 pm »

Mm, yes... I'm so used to SEED's dismissal, it hadn't really occurred to me how different the cultures of these lands might be.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: August 24, 2020, 07:44:00 pm »

You come to a stall selling bladed weapons, and you note that none of the handles of the knives here are made of bone -- all of them are wooden or bioplastic or full steel. You note that few don't have handles -- blades of beautiful steel with full tangs. Each of these handleless blades is a masterwork of steel -- sharp as a razor and nearly a [foot] long.

"Back in the Holyland, I purchased a barker-bone handled knife. What's the story behind them?"

"Those were either trophies or cheap scrap. Few Outlander smiths would willingly put Barker bone on a handle without a witness -- without it being important." Rekhyt explains, then, switches to the tongue of SEED, "An Outlander's knife is...well, a symbol of cultural unity. Few Priests would know this, but an oath sworn on a knife is one that is respected as much as possible. Marriages are usually bound on them."

You nod, examing a long, crude sword with a single edge and a curve to the blade.

"It represents that one is a member of the warrior [caste]. It represents...an unbroken line of history. Of struggle and of survival. Faith. Protection. The safety of the clan above all else." He frowns, "It is the Law of the Barker -- the first we learned when we were exiled out into the wasteland with naught but our claws." He flashes the silver of his longknife and the white of his grin. "Barkers value the pack above all else. They are hunters, getting food of their own. When two packs meet, the leaders 'speak' only and first...and when there is conflict within the pack, it is settled away from prying eyes."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:54:58 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: August 24, 2020, 08:15:22 pm »

Can we afford one of the handle-less blades?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: August 24, 2020, 09:07:11 pm »

Oh, you should also not let your guard down, this is a battlefield, glad you got a kick in.

This is your prime opportunity to get to know this man, whether he could be a useful pawn, perhaps as even a sham husband.  See if you can get hm off his guard, emotionally, to try and pry out a simple moment of honest truth from him.

Or keep going with your instincts they seem to be pretty good.

These people have a deep cultural hatred of your people, down to their founding myths.  Press on that, see what cracks you can find.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: August 24, 2020, 09:10:00 pm »

We should insist that they stop killing our people and literally grinding them into dust if they truly do want an alliance.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: August 24, 2020, 10:07:17 pm »

We should insist that they stop killing our people and literally grinding them into dust if they truly do want an alliance.
Agreed. I had no idea they were doing that

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: August 25, 2020, 06:49:55 am »

Does the guy we're with right now even have the power to stop this?

Also I say we buy one of the handle-less knives.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: August 25, 2020, 11:41:54 am »

Well hey everybody. I may have come into contact with someone with Corona. So you guys get more posts per day since I will be quarentined until the person's test comes back.

"I'd like one of those handle-less knives." You murmur over to Rekhyt, and his eyes dance along the offered blades. He gestures to the smith -- a tall, skinny Outlander with calloused hands and a bone-handled knife at his belt. The man crosses his arms as he approaches Rekhyt, frowning down at the man. One after another, Rekhyt examines the blades, even passing them to you. Finally, he gives a shake of his head. "None of these will work."

"What?" The Smith claims, confused.

"None of these are good enough." Rekhyt explains, crossing his arms. "Your knifework is lazy. Rote."

"You dare to--"

"Shut up." Rekhyt commands with steel in his voice. His eyes narrow. "You claim to be a master -- yet you're nothing more than an apprentice. These blades are too stiff--"

[12+2 vs. 4] The Smith draws -- but Rekhyt is faster. His knife lashes out, flatside first -- and the Smith's blade shatters under the strike. Rekhyt twists the knife in his hand and stares the Smith down. "I've proved my point? Do I need to prove another?"

"No."

Rekhyt turns away, and you follow along. "I know of smiths in the east. Masters of their craft. They make blades that ripple like waves -- the strongest steel with the sharpest edge held the longest. If you seek to become recognized as an Outlander warrior, let me commission you a knife worthy of a goddess -- not one made by a random craftsman in the bazaar." There's a slight, sharp edge in Rekhyt's voice, and you note that he calls you goddess without irony or sarcasm.

Your lips quirk as you think of your response.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:13:12 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29:43 pm »

((I'm sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it's a false alarm.))

"Thank you.  I had no idea these knives were so brittle.  These eastern smiths... are they part of this nation or another?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:25 pm »

Urg, that's rough that is. We'll be glad for the swift schedule tho!

That knife of Rekhyt's you melted away, back at Stormmont... that was a potent insult. More so than I'd realized, at the time.

A touch of will in the words: "Do you know, that's the first time today I've heard you say 'goddess' and mean it?"
"I had no idea these knives were so brittle.  These eastern smiths... are they part of this nation or another?"

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: August 25, 2020, 12:55:18 pm »

[12 vs. 2+2]"Do you know, that's the first time today I've heard you say 'goddess' and mean it?" Your will encounters resistance as you force it on him, but that passes. Rekhyt shrugs.

"What else would you call a beautiful and terrifying woman such--"

[17 vs. 15+2] Rekhyt's will exerts itself, and he glares at you. You notice several people staring as the two of you come to a stop. He exhales a low breath, then, softly, tenderly despite the sharp words, "Do not use your magics on me, woman. My mind is my own." You still have a grip, but, your point proven, you relax it.

You grin as the two of you stare each other down. Rekhyt rolls his eyes and starts off -- but as soon as his back is turned, you can see the faintest traces of a smile. Approval? You follow along in silence until you come to a stop while inspecting some silken drapes.

"I had no idea these knives were so brittle.  These eastern smiths... are they part of this nation or another?" You question, levelly.

"By my existence they are part of this empire. The cities by the sea have the best smiths -- especially since they have better ores now. They only had poor quality iron, so they had to learn to work it well. Now, they've access to many minerals and metals they never had before." And, after a pause, "His blades would be good for commoners, but a clever man can see the weakness in his opponent's steel. A fault. A crack. A fracture. It's like many things in life. War, hunting, persuasion, courtship."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: August 25, 2020, 01:01:12 pm »

"Speaking of flaws, can you show me the ugly parts of this city, things your father would never want me to see?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: August 25, 2020, 01:11:46 pm »

Such interesting things we're learning about this fellow.

Ugliness... hm. Do you want a bit more time to wander the bazaar first-- pick out something pleasant, maybe grab a bite to eat somewhere? There's little rush.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: August 25, 2020, 01:52:32 pm »

"Speaking of flaws, can you show me the ugly parts of this city, things your father would never want me to see?"
I don’t think ugliness is the correct word here, it could be interpreted as an insult

What are you interested in seeing, Phoenix?
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 381