Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47

Author Topic: Sh 2 [SG] Week 14  (Read 39066 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 3
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2020, 10:19:02 am »

My inclination is to accept the loan and begin training at the Wind school.  That will give us a leg up on getting the bodyguard job, as we can truthfully say that we are studying a martial art.  Hopefully the earnings will be sufficient to pay back the loan fairly quickly.
+1 Training then get the job.
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2020, 01:06:43 am »

"So how much are you interested in borrowing?"

Spoiler: Money (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:38:28 am by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2020, 01:21:11 am »

What is the current cost of spice?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2020, 01:39:45 am »

You can spend an essentially unlimited amount on spice.

As for currently unusual prices, cloves are available in quantity for about half the usual price, but you don't know how long it'll take for the price to recover.

You can make a planning action specifically to trade in something if you want to see what the estimated gains are, and anything that might help or hurt the process.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2020, 01:59:58 am »

My thought is that we should minimize our debt, only borrowing enough to allow us to start generating income consistently.  We know that training will cost around two silver a week.  To be safe, perhaps we should allow for enough silver for three weeks of training, just in case the bodyguard job doesn't pan out and we need to waste time finding another source of income.

Once we have more assets, we can more safely assume a larger amount of debt.

As for investing in cloves, I'm not sure what the appropriate move would be.  As a planning action, what gain could we expect (until, I guess, the market recovers completely) month over month for a purchase of cloves for ten silver?

Edit: changed from 5 silver to 10 silver.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:01:15 am by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2020, 07:00:52 am »

My thought is that we should minimize our debt, only borrowing enough to allow us to start generating income consistently.  We know that training will cost around two silver a week.  To be safe, perhaps we should allow for enough silver for three weeks of training, just in case the bodyguard job doesn't pan out and we need to waste time finding another source of income.

As for investing in cloves, I'm not sure what the appropriate move would be.  As a planning action, what gain could we expect (until, I guess, the market recovers completely) month over month for a purchase of cloves for ten silver?

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2020, 07:12:32 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 3.1
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »

You head out to investigate the prices for buying cloves.  After all, if they're cheap right now, there ought to be some way to make money on it.

As for shopping.. well, a full bag of cloves is about seven or eight silver normally.  Right now, you can get a bag of it for about four silver, or so.

The downside is that you don't know how long it'll take for cloves to recover in value.  Cloves are, well, fairly common, and if a few more ships come in, they could be sitting at that price for quite some time.  Could be months.

Still, it'd be hard to lose money on the deal.  You can buy them cheap, and hopefully sell them an uncertain amount of time later at a profit, but this is a project where you are very unlikely to lose money, even if you may end up holding onto the cloves for a while.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2020, 09:52:58 pm »

I think we should wait to invest until we have some actual income.  Six silver for training plus five silver for emergencies should hopefully be sufficient for now.

Borrow 11 silver.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:54:52 pm by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:34 pm »

I think we should wait to invest until we have some actual income.  Six silver for training plus five silver for emergencies should hopefully be sufficient for now.

Borrow 11 silver.
+1, when we do buy cloves, maybe we can grow some, a steady food supply if timed correctly and cloves are stored properly

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2020, 12:54:47 am »

It definitely makes sense to start leveraging all of our assets.  We do have a home, which I assume we are not renting, but how much land that includes isn't clear at the moment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2020, 01:01:16 am »

Dev told me to please not grow cloves.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:23 am »

Yeah.  Your basic living expenses are covered, and cloves are valuable in large sacks of dozen of pounds.  There's also a time limit.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:23:18 am by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2020, 02:43:17 am »

On reflection... not a good idea.  Maybe we can find some other way to make use of our home.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2020, 10:07:20 am »

Borrow 11 silver.
+1

On reflection... not a good idea.  Maybe we can find some other way to make use of our home.
We could turn it into an opium den.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47