Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Language Overhaul - 1.0 released for Steam!  (Read 24721 times)

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.6 - Forgotten Beast Edition
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2021, 04:13:23 pm »

I think this mod deserves more attention, it's likely the finest language overhaul mod out there IMO. Per Tolkien's own philosophy, memorable names are key to a memorable story, and it's admittedly a bit hard in vanilla DF to get attached to a place called "Beachedslopped" or something similar.

One thing I've noticed though that I'd like to report (it's probably been reported already but just in case), the game seems to register all the new names as unusual first names and so in adventure mode it can get a bit tiresome to always have NPCs commenting on how rare my character's name is (especially if they have the same name themselves). Is this intended or is it, as I suspect, a bug?

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm unfamiliar with this feature and I can't find anything about how it works. Definitely a bug though, but hasn't been reported before. If I knew which names it happens with, I might be able to fix it.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2021, 08:14:15 pm »

It's a feature normally reserved for when an adventure mode player customizes their character's first name themselves and as far as I know shouldn't be happening with names generated by the AI. Seems like it might only be happening with human names for whatever reason, but I'll try to gather a more complete dataset through gameplay and then get back to you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 04:15:06 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2021, 11:32:55 am »

how'd you mod in settlement names??? tried to do the same (making the settlement name SYM-category be the subsymbol) but... the results aren't very promising, with group names being named what the settlement names are supposed to be

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 07:47:17 am »

how'd you mod in settlement names??? tried to do the same (making the settlement name SYM-category be the subsymbol) but... the results aren't very promising, with group names being named what the settlement names are supposed to be

Settlement names are selected from categories ALL or REMAINING. SITE is, as you say, for groups (which doesn't make any sense). This means that settlement names for any given civilization are actually selected exactly the same way as the surnames for people from that civilization - there's no way to separate the two. Hope that helps!

In other news, I've been thinking about getting around to do a megabeast names update for this, but I have a lot of other things to do so it might be a while. Hopefully I can release a somewhat complete version fo this for when DF graphics arrive.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:43 am »

Wait, you can do forgotten beast names!? That’s incredible, how does that even work? Don’t they take names from totally random pools?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:12 am »

Wait, you can do forgotten beast names!? That’s incredible, how does that even work? Don’t they take names from totally random pools?

I think they take their names from certain language symbol sets (certain spheres, etc.), so probably by figuring out what they are and editing them?

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2022, 03:23:14 pm »

I think they take their names from certain language symbol sets (certain spheres, etc.), so probably by figuring out what they are and editing them?

exactly. I'm just splitting the complete overhaul into steps, and I think this is a nice way to divide it up.

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2022, 01:29:29 pm »

Would love to use this in the Premium version, but I get "FATAL ERROR - Missing Symbol Definiton".
What's happening here exactly? If some definition is missing, could I paste it from the vanilla files in order to fix it (presumably in "language_SYM.txt")? I'm using Meld which makes comparing the two files way easier, but I'm not sure what I could or should add back in.

Edit: I added this part into "language_SYM.txt", because it seemed to be part of Premium but was missing in .47:
Code: [Select]
[SYMBOL:NAME_BUILDING_HOSPITAL]
[S_WORD:HOME]
[S_WORD:HOUSE]
[S_WORD:SANCTUARY]

I no longer got the error, but the game crashed instead. So I tried generating an entirely new world and starting a new fortress, and the game didn't crash! However, I don't think (all?) the languages got modified, as I still ended up in a fort called "Closethate", with dwarf last names like "Roughlovers" and "Cudgelshocks".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 02:28:23 pm by leastannoyingman »

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2022, 02:06:57 pm »

I haven't gotten around to getting the steam version yet, as I'm in the middle of the exam period and I know Dwarf Fortress would be detrimental to my ability to focus. So I'm not sure what's causing the issues, sorry! Could look like the game is using the vanilla entity_default file?

I've been working on this on and off for the last year though, and I'm planning to get the steam version and release a new and much improved version of this in January!

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2022, 03:01:50 pm »

No rush. We look forward to it whenever

When I was in college I unironically failed an exam period due to dwarf fortress specifically. Circa like 2014. It's a real danger

It was horrible and tbh and the steam version is just as soul consuming and addictive as classic, if not more so due to some of the new features
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2023, 09:01:13 pm »

I'm also looking forward to this! Are there any guides to how the game generates names for critters or has it just been trial and error to figure out how to hone the raws?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2023, 01:24:42 am »

I'm also looking forward to this! Are there any guides to how the game generates names for critters or has it just been trial and error to figure out how to hone the raws?

On the DF wiki talk page on spheres there's a list of what language symbols each sphere uses:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d_Talk:Sphere

For example a forgotten beast with deformity and caverns as spheres would take their name from the language symbol sets NAME_CAVE and UGLY, so its name in dwarven could be Unulbul, 'Danklard'. (Presuming I've understood correctly.)

sayber1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2023, 04:50:38 am »

A great mod and a must have in my book, but I've had some problems with it recently. Hope this would be a right place to ask.

I've been trying to use this mod together with the Spellcrafts mod for 0.47.05, and had a small issue. Some of the names return blank for some reason. Esp noticeable during the worldgen, as the world's untranslated name would often be blank. The mods by themselves do not have this problem, and it appears only then combining two.

Since I'm completely new to DF modding, I'm not sure where the problem is, and both mods supposedly do not modify the same raws, besides manual addition of some lines to entity_default by the Spellcrafts mod. Spellcrafts does add new languages to the game, as additional raws, though. Still, I know too little of how the languages in DF work, to make any conclusions and act on them.

Would greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

A link to a screenshot of legends mode with missing names:
https://i.imgur.com/4LBcYNO.png

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2023, 03:45:40 pm »

Hey everyone, and thanks for all the encouraging words! I've had to spend some extra time on my exam (because I went travelling instead of working on it), so I haven't had much time to look at this, and I'm still not finished with it, but almost. I've also had some trouble understanding the new patching mechanisms of the premium version. Currently, I can get the worlds to generate with my languages, but after saving a game and then returning to the save, all names disappear mysteriously. If anyone knows what could cause this, please chime in! But anyway I'm working on it and still hope I can release something this month!

Trial and error (lots of legends mode) and some help from the wiki pages brewer bob mentioned! I haven't been able to find a pattern for smaller critters than the great beasts though, if that's what you mean!

A great mod and a must have in my book, but I've had some problems with it recently. Hope this would be a right place to ask.

I've been trying to use this mod together with the Spellcrafts mod for 0.47.05, and had a small issue. Some of the names return blank for some reason. Esp noticeable during the worldgen, as the world's untranslated name would often be blank. The mods by themselves do not have this problem, and it appears only then combining two.

Since I'm completely new to DF modding, I'm not sure where the problem is, and both mods supposedly do not modify the same raws, besides manual addition of some lines to entity_default by the Spellcrafts mod. Spellcrafts does add new languages to the game, as additional raws, though. Still, I know too little of how the languages in DF work, to make any conclusions and act on them.

Would greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

A link to a screenshot of legends mode with missing names:
https://i.imgur.com/4LBcYNO.png

The names that are missing are using my new vocabulary, but the new languages added by Spellcrafts do not have matching translations. If you want to make it compatible, you could copy/paste all my new translations from e.g. the language_DWARF file into the new language files added by Spellcrafts. That should fix it... I think.

sayber1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2023, 08:10:08 am »

The names that are missing are using my new vocabulary, but the new languages added by Spellcrafts do not have matching translations. If you want to make it compatible, you could copy/paste all my new translations from e.g. the language_DWARF file into the new language files added by Spellcrafts. That should fix it... I think.

Thank you for your reply. It worked.

Copying new words from the language overhaul raws into Spellcrafts' did the trick. The only issue I've ran into was that some symbols in some words displayed incorrectly as weird and jumbled mess. Fixed it by finding and replacing the broken symbols with the normal ones. Don't know the exact cause, but since it's been an easy fix, doesn't really matter.

Can't stress enough how great this mod is. Having good sounding names has been a real gamechanger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5