Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409585 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #2775 on: January 17, 2023, 04:16:58 pm »

Nah i tried that and it resulted in crashing on loading. You're going to want to replace them with the raws from the turn prior.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: January 17, 2023, 04:38:42 pm »

Try my raws or the ones before me, the diacritics got borked after my turn (but they were ok in the save I uploaded), maybe this fixes them.

I haven't read everything, but I loved Maloy's training montage, since I was an adventure mode newb before I joined this thread (I more or less still am), I learned the "kill animals" montage from QD, so thanks for that. I've done it with necro-Lurker, but it was more or less half-hearted. Since I woke up with the necromancer "I win" button (honestly, I hadn't intended to wake up in Pik's cabin, let alone expected a necro book to be literally the first thing I'd read), I could hold my own pretty well (the worst time I had was against some wolves, but gobs were easy; the last one I beheaded in one strike; well, obviously the horse skeleton was hard).

I'm also glad to see Arthur's story and Jas' line being expanded, I'm really curious how Rimtil died. As for great story posts, at least in terms of syntax, off the top of my head I'd put QD, Unraveller and Kesperan on top in no particular order. I've had an idea for an "Interlude" text for the time before the 922 infection, when my plans were completely different, but I never got around to writing it.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: January 17, 2023, 04:59:45 pm »

As for great story posts, at least in terms of syntax, off the top of my head I'd put QD, Unraveller and Kesperan on top in no particular order.

Nah, I am hackish compared to QD and Unraveller. Masterful as always. Sitting here with a grin because you mentioned ol' Kothvir, and how his gift of the slab Stabbedwring has set the Gloryage dynasty down a dark, dark path!

I have so many ideas for my next turn that I don't think I will be able to fit them in, thanks to the inspiration of you all. Who'd have thought that would be the case in a world so mature as this.

I also can't wait until Adventure mode is available for Steam DF... Museum IV will be glorius indeed!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 17, 2023, 05:43:31 pm »

I also can't wait until Adventure mode is available for Steam DF... Museum IV will be glorius indeed!

Orid Xem has much potential left in it! I know that I wish to see its distant future yet still.

And no need to compare us all there's great writing from every corner in the Museum games. No matter the theme or prose.
I've lost control of my life.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 17, 2023, 07:10:26 pm »

I agree with Unraveller, TBH; there's been excellent writing from all quarters over the course of the Museum games, regardless of the theme or prose chosen for the story.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how Museum IV plays out, considering the amount of adventures we've managed to fit into this one. Hopefully, though, Orid Xem will keep on giving for a good long while yet.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 17, 2023, 08:22:54 pm »

Well said, i enjoy the variety of tone and storytelling we have had. I hope it continues to be a fruitful world.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 17, 2023, 08:23:17 pm »

Your writing is smooth like butter, Unraveller. I really enjoyed your post.

Also fun to read this along with others paired in different time periods but dealing with the same issue.

Made me realize that the High Confederacies Kothvir was from is where the wolf-lord's story mostly takes place and changed a lot at the end of my turn.

I enjoy this adventure game so much and honestly I have the most selfish desire when it comes to steam release:
That by the time steam release has come out we've totally used up this world in every way and it simply could not continue anyway!

Is there an expected release date for that update already?

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 17, 2023, 08:52:52 pm »

Nobody stops us from having two Museums in parallel. All of us might not buy the Steam version either (I haven't so far).

I think there's still a lot to do in Orid Xem, especially since it's a living world, our characters can have heirs with a little tweaking, which makes us be even more invested. Plus there's a lot of places we haven't investigated and a lot which can be created. I want this to last years at the least.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 18, 2023, 05:30:44 pm »

"Moldath V", Part III, Turn 99

The Deep Abyss

28th Slate 937

I travel east for some time, leaving Realmspire behind... I arrive in the sinister foothills of the Hill of Bogs, north-easterly of the great tundra. Zombie ravens ignore me as I travel, and I make out an imposing obsidian structure on the horizon. Could this be the work of the rumoured Abyssal Cult? Snow-caked hideous wormy tendrils grasp from the earth... foul lidless eyes unblinking before me.  I spot what appear to be pressure plate traps all around me.. what is this place? Half-submerged iron grates are scattered haphazardly, belching the unmistakeable brimstone stench of magma. What infernal structure could they lead to?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I explore the snow-covered landscape; it seems there are no living souls to be found. There are dozens of similar iron grates, all surrounded by pressure plates. Some kind of complex trap system designed to douse the unwary in hot spurts of molten rock?
I arrive at a huge large delta-shaped building hewn of black stone, surrounded by the remains of many dingoes and long-dead human skeletons. It looks oddly familiar, like the vault of Coverashes? Something very grim is going on here and I intend to find out exactly what it is.
The well crafted iron door is strangely unlocked, and creaks ominously as I push it open.

The first sight that greets my rotten eyes is a well crafted statue of Cog Wildnesswork, entitled The Goal of Sweltering. Cog is holding aloft the slab Shadowbury. This is all wrong. Shadowbury was gifted to Oddom Girdergrove. Cog was gifted The Fragrant Burial.
How curious - the same mistake was made by the necromancer scholar I met in Northmanor four decades ago, Catten Elderbasements. Could these two places be related? I hope the Cult of Ramparts are not in league with these lunatics.

(Large image)

The other two statues are no less intriguing, if macabre. The second is dedicated to Gopet the Putrid Cyst, human deity of death of Omon Obin, entitled The Vision of Blighting - Gopet is striking down the human God of healing Otu Lovelycherished. The victory of blight over life? Thrall worshippers? The third is most concerning - it depcits in vivid detail the noble law-giver Jas Gloryage being devoured by humans, entitled The Permanent Doom of Silver. It seems I have stumbled upon yet another necromancer coven. This must be the shadowy Abyssal Cult I have heard furtive whispers of. It is said they even launched an ill-fated assault on Silverthrone many years ago. There is a cancer at the heart of the Realm of Silver, both this place and Realmspire are proof. I press forward.

I travel through the eerily quiet obsidian corridors, until I chance upon a lever, marked Solitary Confinement. Of course, I pull it. I forge onwards through the endless maze. Deeper into the structure the walls are hastily hewn from black sand, or marble, or sandstone. Dank mushrooms sprout in the silence.

I sense lifeblood pulsing through the cold, damp walls... but I have reached a dead end. How frustrating. I must retrace my steps or be lost in this labyrinth forever.

Finally I find another being - I almost tumble into a human thresher blighted thrall! I have discovered the so-called "solitary confinement" - rough hewn cells where thralls have been kept prisoner! I put the beasts out of their misery. I retrace my steps through this huge complex. The thrum of machinery is everywhere, and the few peasants I find cannot answer my questions. I leave this place none the wiser.

The Journey North

1st Felsite 937

Leaving Abyssdeeps, I continue on my travels in the rough northwesterly direction, intending to visit Treatyseed in my search for the false King. I decide to pay my old green friends in Dreadruled a visit. The place is teaming with trolls and beak dogs but atop the keep, I find a few goblins and some strange weapons - Fedlilacs the bronze axe and Oceanbald the Decision of Teeth. These weapons have been wielded by the demon Dreamypuzzled the Tenebrous Obscurity centuries ago...

2nd Felsite 937

Travelling west I find myself in the scattered hamlets around Growlsuppers. Arriving at noon in Moltenpelts, I hear a commotion in the mead hall. Heavily armed goblin bandits are being attacked by blighted thralls. There is only one solution here.

4th Felsite 937

I skim past Boltspumpkin and head towards Ironwards - rumours of another demon incursion triggered by foolhardy adventurers are confirmed when I am ambushed by Flygrave the weasel demon. Its flesh is rotten and it is spattered with dwarf blood. I leap towards it as it begins spewing webs. A flick of my wrist paralyses it, and the artifact steel battle axe Osturist Obot Zaled cleaves its skull.

I have not travelled far when I feel a searing heat! An enormous boulder of flames strikes me and I am engulfed in unnatural demonfire! A clear brute has ambushed me and I am unable to block the fire with my shield. My flesh bubbles and crackles as I leap towards the threat, its enormous skull sundered by my axe as I fell.

I spot a murky pool to the south and rush towards it to douse the unholy fire consuming my body. I jump into the pool and am consumed in a burst of steam. The water around me boils and erupts as the flames are quenched.

Dragging my sodden body out of the murky pool, I see a huge swathe of fire where the demon fell. Metal.

Arriving at Ironwards, I sense something is different. The lava moat runs dry, cold ash pocked with demon corpses where once the lifeblood of the moutain flowed. What has happened here?

I pace the silent halls, gathering the skeletons of the dwarves who fell here. The forges run cold. I place the fallen kin in their cold coffins and descend to the steps where I first noticed the Rot. I forge ahead through a chokepoint of steel spears. I arrive at an iron staging ground on the slade caverns of hell, and venturing forth I seek out demons to slay.

A lizard devil sees through my stealth and grasps my skull in its great jaws! I feel the rank heat of his breath on my rotten skin as I paralyze him and cut myself free by slashing off his head. His hide will make a fine cloak!

I spend some time crafting and embellishing my gear. I now have a masterwork adamantine short sword, which I took from Ashcinders, encircled by bands of masterfully worked weasel demon teeth. I bestow upon it the name Demonfang the Bloody Feast of Slaughter, and it will drink its fill of blood.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:31:41 pm by kesperan »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 18, 2023, 06:16:20 pm »

Another great post Kesperan, what a lovely adamantine sword. The more writting of Moldath the more of a legend he becomes. Is nothing but rot on bones, catches on fire but just goes for a quick dip. Looking forward to where this is going.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 18, 2023, 07:08:31 pm »

Another great post Kesperan, what a lovely adamantine sword. The more writting of Moldath the more of a legend he becomes. Is nothing but rot on bones, catches on fire but just goes for a quick dip. Looking forward to where this is going.

I was lucky there was water nearby. For some reason I could not walk while on fire. I kept getting "You are melting!" messages, but I was able to jump. Jumped into the murky pool and the water started evaporating due to the heat. Thats why there are 5s and 6s in the water pool. Not something I had experienced before but very cool!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 18, 2023, 07:32:00 pm »

Wow. . . Now I wish I went to Abyssdeeps on any of my adventures, there's gotta be more sinister stuff to find.
I've lost control of my life.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: January 18, 2023, 08:53:09 pm »

The weapons wielded by Dreamypuzzled should be in the Museum, but they teleported back there after I retired my adventurer.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 19, 2023, 04:38:31 am »

Reading you having to fling yourself into water was funny, but also fighting a demon while being on fire yourself and leaving a blazing inferno behind you was epic!

Also I forgot to say that I wanted back on the turn rotation, Bralbaard!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 19, 2023, 07:59:59 am »

Wow. . . Now I wish I went to Abyssdeeps on any of my adventures, there's gotta be more sinister stuff to find.

Yeah, I suspect there’s even more going on that I didn’t get a chance to explore.

I’d imagine an adventurer with a lower Observer skill might have had a more !!FUN!! experience with those pressure plates…
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 263