Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79081 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2020, 12:15:01 pm »

Just to make sure I didn't miss something - no naval units/logistics whatsoever, right?

I've heard that naval/air units would be on the table in the future if the game manages to sell well, but none currently :(

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 12:32:00 pm »

I don't know if you mean NAVAL logistics specifically, but there is a lot of logistics. Your armies will basically disintegrate outside their operational range.

EDIT: Also for anyone struggling a bit, Mountain valleys are your best friend... my current mountain world run is going sooo much better due to actually having some time and space.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:34:01 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2020, 12:37:49 pm »

I specifically mean naval logistics. My latest start:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'(

Edit: this new setup still makes me want waterborne logistics, but it's not as hopeless as that last one, where my thin line clinging to the coast constantly got cut.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:04:12 pm by E. Albright »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2020, 02:15:11 pm »

Huh, what planet types are you playing on? I've had trouble finding anything larger than a lake, and was wondering if that was intentional due to the lack of naval features.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2020, 02:28:01 pm »

That one is unknown classification - IIRC yellow G0 star, roughly 1AU out, 0.6g, 5bi old, maybe 8% surface water?

(Unrelated to the water, etc. it also had 3.3bi population before the fall; hence how many huge city ruins it has...)

If you want to have a look, here's the pre-game save: https://gofile.io/d/aDuHL4

Siwas (or whatever that's called) and Medusa both also have no problem having seas, but there's no proper oceans, presumably due to the lack of naval stuff. I'd say 15% water is the most I've seen (I've seen mountains as high as 36%, for comparison)...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:30:57 pm by E. Albright »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »

where do logistic come from? do they come from the capital or the nearest city?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2020, 03:08:41 pm »

where do logistic come from? do they come from the capital or the nearest city?

There are a few inventories:

5.11.4.1. zone Inventory Production from Assets goes directly to this inventory. Excess Items will be sent to the SHQ of the Zone. The Zone will take consumption costs for the next turn into account and will keep some Items in reserve. Missing Items will be requested from the SHQ of the Zone.

5.11.4.2. unit Inventory Each Unit has its own Item reserves (Ammo, Fuel, Food, etc..) and most turns they’ll request fresh supplies from their SHQ.

5.11.4.3. shq Inventory Each SHQ has its own inventory. It is used to send Items to Zones and Units that are requesting them. Furthermore, it will pick-up excess items from Zones. And last but not least it will send Replacement Troops to Units that are missing Troops (or pickup excess Troops).

Logistics are sent through truck/rail stations AP, and units request assets/supplies from their SHQ, so I believe (Logistics is complicated, so I could be wrong) they will flow out from where your SHQ is found.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2020, 03:16:33 pm »

I believe thats correct! The in depth explanation in the manual is also fairly easy to make sense of.

Total Production (actual supplies) -> Logistics Nodes (I.E. Truck Stations, Rail Stations) (generates logistics points) -> Road/Rail network (defines range and distribution of logistics) -> operational logistics (range from roadway in which a unit can resupply itself)

EDIT: theres also supply bases but im not sure exactly how they work. Vaguely, they extend the range of certain areas of your logistics network.

EDIT: Also, railways carry a ton of logistics points along their paths but have to be unloaded at railheads or stations for those points to flow onto the roads and into the field. Mostly.

EDIT: ALSO, the way I understand it is that all your production is divided up by your SHQs... so if you only have one you'll be having all your resources flow outwards from a single point... but you can have more I believe, though im not sure how resources get divided between them.

3000 EDITs later: AAAALLLLLSSSSOOOOO, according to the manual a logistics network is required to feed your workers and can be used to transfer units and resources between theaters (presumably governed by separate SHQs)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:22:52 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2020, 03:54:21 pm »

One other thing that may not jump out at you is that you can use your logistics network to move military units via Strategic Move commands. I didn't need to explore this particular function 'til I found some GR Automata (little machineguns pillboxes) that can't move on their own.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:31 pm »

So I tried a long time and realized Seth can't get life. I hope in the future there is more customization to the non-earthlike planets. The only non-earthlike planet that has most customization is Ceberus, which despite being a harsh world with giant seas of magma can generate plants AND "complex" life with actual skeletal body structures. my current Ceberus world has actual giant lizard-like things roaming around and lots of moss/grass. Looks cool.

Kinda disappointing I can't get a Seth planet like that, but maybe in the future the creator will allow more planet customization like he did with Ceberus
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:11:36 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 04:22:25 pm »

Yeah, logistics, how do they work anyway? Getting through the manual was a slog. I would not call any of it fairly easy to make sense of.
(Reminds me of when I tried to come up with rules for a Dwarf Fortress game for playing cards. Ended up with 10 pages of wargaming lingo for what was supposed to be a fun, casual party game.)

Here's me trying to organise what I've just read in my head, maybe somebody will find it useful.
Truck or rail stations provide transport ('logistic') capacity that is spread over applicable roads/rail up to a distance beyond which it diminishes if not picked up by the range of another truck/rail station or extended (once only?) by a supply base.
This transport capacity is used to send excess items from all zones (cities) to their assigned SHQ. No capacity used here if SHQ is in the only city.
SHQ sends items where needed, be it units or cities, using the same transport capacity.
Units can pick up the last leg of supplies from nearby roads/rail, less efficiently the farther (in terms of movement cost) they are. Food is always supplied at 100% efficiency, up to the maximum range.

Rural buildings need at least 100 logistic capacity per highest building level present on hex to send output to their cities. I think it just has to be there, and is not being used up?

EDIT: Also, railways carry a ton of logistics points along their paths but have to be unloaded at railheads or stations for those points to flow onto the roads and into the field. Mostly.
I haven't yet built it, but the manual clearly states the supplies can be offloaded from any railway hex? Dead-end (no railhead or station closing the track) railways have just vastly reduced capacity.

So I tried a long time and realized Seth can't get life. I hope in the future there is more customization to the non-earthlike planets. The only planet that has most customization is Ceberus, which despite being a harsh world with giant seas of magma can generate plants AND "complex" life with actual skeletal body structures.

Kinda disappointing I can't get a Seth planet like that, but maybe in the future the creator will allow more planet customization like he did with Ceberus
Have you tried unclassified? AFAIK it's a 'anything goes' option.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2020, 04:25:29 pm »

Yeah, logistics, how do they work anyway? Getting through the manual was a slog. I would not call any of it fairly easy to make sense of.
(Reminds me of when I tried to come up with rules for a Dwarf Fortress game for playing cards. Ended up with 10 pages of wargaming lingo for what was supposed to be a fun, casual party game.)

Here's me trying to organise what I've just read in my head, maybe somebody will find it useful.
Truck or rail stations provide transport ('logistic') capacity that is spread over applicable roads/rail up to a distance beyond which it diminishes if not picked up by the range of another truck/rail station or extended (once only?) by a supply base.
This transport capacity is used to send excess items from all zones (cities) to their assigned SHQ. No capacity used here if SHQ is in the only city.
SHQ sends items where needed, be it units or cities, using the same transport capacity.
Units can pick up the last leg of supplies from nearby roads/rail, less efficiently the farther (in terms of movement cost) they are. Food is always supplied at 100% efficiency, up to the maximum range.

Rural buildings need at least 100 logistic capacity per highest building level present on hex to send output to their cities. I think it just has to be there, and is not being used up?

I haven't yet built it, but the manual clearly states the supplies can be offloaded from any railway hex? Dead-end (no railhead or station closing the track) railways have just vastly reduced capacity.

So I tried a long time and realized Seth can't get life. I hope in the future there is more customization to the non-earthlike planets. The only planet that has most customization is Ceberus, which despite being a harsh world with giant seas of magma can generate plants AND "complex" life with actual skeletal body structures.

Have you tried unclassified? AFAIK it's a 'anything goes' option.

Arrakis is a desert planet not unclassified planet :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 04:42:07 pm »

Arrakis is a desert planet not unclassified planet :P
Maybe so, but a Seth planet is not just a desert planet. It specifically says a Seth planet has 'not a single drop of liquid water' on its surface, and can only host non-water-based life. Arrakis had quite a bit of water collected by the fremen and imported, and at least some of its life was water based. If the fremen can collect water with wind traps that means there is at least some moisture in the air. There were also dew farmers collecting the dew precipitating out of the air onto plants and other surfaces in the morning. By itself that means there is probably some little rainfall somewhere on the planet even disregarding the pseudo magical rain that Paul caused. This means Arrakis wouldn't neatly fall into any of the categories. Probably the closest would be a very dry Siwa/Medusa but unclassified would be easier to get similar conditions I think.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 05:01:40 pm »

You can get quite varied results on the unclassified (random) planet gen.

Also, man I suck at prospecting. I'm like 40 turns in and I ran out of scavenging w/o ever setting eyes on a metal deposit.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:53 pm »

So, when starting a game, my production priorities are metal - industry - food - water (if it is not readily available). When expanding, I take care to build roads and truck depots. Plus I build stuff like barracks and universities whenever the population level can support it.

As a result, I never seem to have enough industrial capacity to build mechanized infantry corps, for example.I wonder if I should be saving IP and not building roads, but then I can't expand because of logistics...and if I don't expand, the enemies do. Annoying problem. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49