Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79061 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #630 on: October 12, 2022, 02:02:40 pm »

Jetpacks can't use them, no.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 12, 2022, 08:23:09 pm »

(also, I've found a kaiju variant with over 10k health)

Do you have a screenie of this abomination?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2022, 08:28:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 14, 2022, 07:47:59 pm »

Well the Oceans expansion got announced today. I guess it will be a separate paid DLC. There's a link to a short interview/trailer with some screenshots in the announcement.

Depends on the price point, but I'm not sure I'll be in a rush to pick this one up.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:59:18 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2022, 07:55:14 pm »

The way Vic has previously talked about handling oceans feels weird and off-putting to me. Very indirect. I haven't seen the new press about it though. Relatedly, your link is broken.

...and now having read the announcement, yeah, I'll be waiting to see the price point before I decide if I want this...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:57:37 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 14, 2022, 07:59:40 pm »

Ah BB Code... will I ever understand you?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 03, 2022, 06:01:19 pm »

So, about the mining optimisation (or whatever it's called) technology. I'm looking at my mining assets, and they have modifiers from governor relations, lack of resources, etc. But nothing about the linear tech. The amount mined that is displayed is not higher than what those aforementioned modifiers provide above the baseline. Does this tech actually increase the mined amount, like I've always thought it does? Maybe the bonus is multiplying the raw resources after mining/after delivery from zones? Or does it do something else whatsoever?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 03, 2022, 06:10:44 pm »

Hmm, I've noticed before some modifiers don't actually show on the asset screen though I never did the math for mining optimization. You won't be the only one to have wasted research if it does nothing though.

EDIT: My own math says that the Mining Techniques Applied Research is giving a % bonus to my metal mines apparently equal to it's level of research.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:22:47 pm by Karlito »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 03, 2022, 06:28:13 pm »

EDIT: My own math says that the Mining Techniques Applied Research is giving a % bonus to my metal mines apparently equal to it's level of research.
Where do you see this applied? The amount delivered from zones is higher? Or the turn-initial stocks are higher?

(like, the most important part here is - does it drain the deposits faster, or is the increase 'magical', so to speak)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 03, 2022, 06:44:28 pm »

On the resource being output, though the numbers are only approximate.

My rare metal mine is asset lvl 2, so 150 ideal output. It's a quality 7 vein, so that's -20%. Governor bonuses are 28%. Mining Techniques is 35%. That mess comes out to 143% if we combine bonuses before applying them, which the manual section on Admin Strain suggests is how Vic rolls. This would make me expect an output of 215. W/o the linear tech, I'd expect 162. I'm getting 207. I worked out another mine, and it was getting 12 more output than I'd expect from the linear tech plus listed stuff. So while there's a little black box calculation, it's not a lot, and pretty much has to include the tech.

I'd assume anything boosting mineral output can't net you more than the deposit has. Fuel Mix Optimization suggests that's not true for fuel, though. If I remember next turn I'll check if my rare deposit is 1530 or 1575...

(You're not looking at recycling, are you? IDK if it applies there. I'll check.)

[Okay, it looks like it applies to metal and rare metal from recycling, but not fuel (which might benefit from FMO, but my FMO is 0)]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:54:39 pm by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 03, 2022, 06:59:08 pm »

On the resource being output, though the numbers are only approximate.

My rare metal mine is asset lvl 2, so 150 ideal output. It's a quality 7 vein, so that's -20%. Governor bonuses are 28%. Mining Techniques is 35%. That mess comes out to 143% if we combine bonuses before applying them, which the manual section on Admin Strain suggests is how Vic rolls. This would make me expect an output of 215. W/o the linear tech, I'd expect 162. I'm getting 207.

I think they're applied multiplicatively. 150 * .8 * 1.28 * 1.35 = 207 exactly (possibly with some rounding at each step which could cause smaller differences)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 03, 2022, 07:02:02 pm »

Yes, alright, I think I can see it now. The modifier factors into the amount mined that is shown. It's just not listed among the other modifiers.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2022, 09:15:24 am »

Did anyone see a release date anywhere for the DLC?

And yeah I'll probably be waiting on it. It sounds like all the framework is there to give the player control of naval forces, just that he's going with MTH as a sort of different spin on naval stuff. Which honestly sounds pretty interesting, but I hope it's also optional or you cam build naval forces on your own and try to compete or use them for niche applications.

Like in one of my past saves where there was a huge inland sea in my territory and I would have loved to just build barges to cross it and carry logistics capacity and build cities all around it without having to stretch my logistics thin with a huge road system. Things like that. And immersion is lost if we have huge ocean navies and cam build laser weaponry but not simple barges to cross bodies of water for logistics.

And on the subject of logistics hopefully rivers get looked at as an alternative transportation method. Rivers have historically been incredibly useful for transportation.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2022, 09:22:38 am »

The way it's described, it sounds like the Guild of Navigators from Dune. Only while it made sense in the vastness of space, you really don't need to be a monopolistic mutated clairvoyant mega-junkie to navigate a pond. So it's going to feel a bit odd.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2022, 09:35:41 am »

I'll be happy to see how it plays out in practice, but yeah from a high-level it does sound like a strange way of handling it, when the ground/air war is so hands on.  :-\

I imagine someone like DasTactic will be able to give it a spin before launch to give his thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49