Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: IGYNPADCA RPG 2nd Edition  (Read 21597 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IGYNPADCA RPG 2nd Edition
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2020, 06:19:01 am »

Quick dig through all the trash cans I can find as people in places like this always throw useful stuff and money away.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2020, 09:21:06 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
it's over

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »

Sell the other substance, and name it leechglory.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2020, 11:49:46 pm »

Turn 9
It seems like this might be a good idea to abstract things at this point and go from turn-by-turn mode to downtime mode until the next day. So I'll process these actions as downtime, and you can all tell me anything else you want to do besides this, and then we can skip to the next morning.
As long as I'm in the area, Al takes a look around to see if there are any books of interest.
You look around for books, but this is a café, so there aren't too many present, and Aya-Vary-Jury is leaving with most of them, so you head to the library.

Not having any specific idea about what sort of books you're looking for, you just wander around the shelves, picking up and reading through any that seem interesting to you. (10d2=16xd100=880%) You read through eight books and eighty percent of a ninth one.

The first book is Unexpected Similarities in the Social Organization of the Basilisk and the Cyclops. The book is hard to understand, and mostly seems to come down to the fact that both sorts of creatures tend to be solitary and mostly get along better with other species than their own. This is all derived from the author's extensive personal research.

The next book is Temples of the Wind Goddess, about Idona, Goddess Of Wind, and the construction and locations of her various temples. Among the locations, there's one in the Welcoming Hills and one on the Mountain of Dusk.

The third book is The Travel Goddesses' Churches, about Nihnera, Goddess Of Commerce (you seem to be in that particular section).Most of the churches aren't that big, more accurately described as shrines, but there are many of them located along most major roads and railways situated in the various towns and stops along the way. Besides being a place of worship, they're often a good source of information, rest, and provisions for travelers. There are many along the routes between here and the Mountain of Dusk, especially in the Welcoming Hills.

The fourth book, A Guide to the Empire's Forgotten Chronicle, seems to be about the now fallen Prasan Empire, and the attempts of a few schemers among the empire's government officials who tried to overthrow the Zezaeteron Dynasty. They did this by creating the Misfortune Elixir, which seemed to do its job, and, in fact, may have done it too well, as some believe this is what led to the fall of the empire.

The fifth book is Practice Transfigurations, which seems to go over the basics of transfiguration magic. You see someone has left several bookmarks in pages with similar information. It goes over four spells:

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

The sixth book is The Secret Temples Serving the All-Wise Sky God, about Ysdum, God Of The Sky, whose worship is only permitted to a special priesthood in hidden temples. The book offers some ideas of where some temples might be, including one on the Mountain of Dusk. There are various pages that are dog-eared and have notes written on them that are hard to make out, but seem to imply errors in the text.

The seventh book that catches your interest is The Common Areas of Habitation of Ettins: New Theories. This book goes over the demographics of ettins and why they tend to settle in certain areas, such as economics, climate, and politics. It seems to have a lot of useful information about where other ettins can be found and the socioeconomic factors of why that is. It likely matches up with what you know about your family and other ettins you've known.

The eighth book you read is A Study of the Earl Barony's Military Chronicle, which is about the various wars and other such conflicts undertaken by the Earl Barony, including the capture of the city of Ironside, during which the sport of dogsurfing was invented. The book is well-organized and very informative about the subject. You gain (5d6=10) +10% Military Tactics skill.

The last book you read through, though don't quite finish, is A Guide To the Origins of Daggers and Shortbows. It's very well-organized, but you can tell it basically has no information, or at least nothing you don't already know.

"It appears that my brain has reached capacity for today. I'll be staying in beachhaven for as long as it takes to formulate a comprehensive plan to proceed with an acceptable level of risk and chance of success. If any of you would prefer to be unprepared, feel free to leave without me. I'm going home."

Take my books, buy the stuff needed for my spells, and then go back to my hotel room for the evening.
Before going to bed, see if I can't casually attract a spirit which can help me with the Jewel Pact.

You gather up your books, head to the shops and get the stuff you need, then hole up in your hotel for the night.

(Luck score 1d100=79%. Luck roll 79%=14% Success!)
Before you go to bed, put into your mind the desire to attract a useful spirit. You close your eyes and start drifting off to sleep, then suddenly awake as you hear a voice in your mind.

"GREETINGS, MORTAL. I AM KNOWN AS ZIZGOLITH THE RED DANCER. WHY HAVE YOU SUMMONED ME?"

At the foot of your bed sits what looks like a red panda, surrounded by glowing dust.

>Find any books related to combat with ranged weapons, and weapon modification, and read them.
After Aya-Vary-Jury leaves, you head to the library with Al and Bartholomew (and I guess Sponcy would be there too) and look through some books. (10d2=16x1d100=589%) You read through five books and eight-nine percent of a sixth.

(5d100>72%=45,42,59,89,74. 2 Successes!)(d89>72%=15 No success.)
Reading through the books, only two of them seem to have any information about long-range combat that you didn't already know. But the ones that do bring you (2d6=4) four percent more long-range combat skill (+4% long-range combat skill)

Quick dig through all the trash cans I can find as people in places like this always throw useful stuff and money away.
(Secret Star Sign ability roll=77%) Searching through all the trash cans in town, you can't find anything you'd find useful.

Sell the other substance, and name it leechglory.
(Base luck roll 10%=88%)
You have a product that you believe in, but nobody seems interested in buying.

So, like I said, we're now in downtime mode, so, if you want to do a bunch of things before the next morning, let me know and we'll resolve them.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2020, 06:52:59 am »

Search everywhere and try to find as many Sea Copper and Perfect Farthings as I can.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2020, 12:46:08 pm »

>Find more books regarding weapon usage/modification in general so I can become slightly less prone to bad RNG with my only weapon.

Spoiler: Updated sheet (click to show/hide)
it's over

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2020, 05:14:32 pm »

Bartholomew is probably near his limit for book tolerance for now, so I'll have Al and Bartholomew spend their next downtime mode turn doing different kinds of martial training.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2020, 05:25:52 pm »

"Yo, I'm browsing my options as for pact-based magic. Think you could shoot me a deal?"
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2020, 02:50:54 am »

Turn 10: Downtime Part 2
Search everywhere and try to find as many Sea Copper and Perfect Farthings as I can.
(10d2=13xd100<Secret Star Sign Ability=8 Successes!)

Searching everywhere, you manage to  find (Sea Copper 40d10=200) two hundred Sea Copper and (Perfect Farthings 40d6=151) one hundred fifty-one Perfect Farthings.

>Find more books regarding weapon usage/modification in general so I can become slightly less prone to bad RNG with my only weapon.

Spoiler: Updated sheet (click to show/hide)
(10d2=14x1d00=728%)
You finish seven more books plus twenty-eight percent of an eighth. What they generally tell you is that a good sniper needs to know how their equipment will operate in different conditions, getting familiar with how things like weather, wind speed, ambient magical conditions, the rotation of the planet, affects their performance. It helps to use precision-manufactured ammunition to cut down on the variables (Long-range combat knowledge roll d100>76%=4% Failure). But you already knew all this.

Also, steadying your aim with a bipod, monopod, or sling helps immensely to properly line up your shots (Long-range combat knowledge roll d100>76%=74% Failure). This, again, is fairly obvious to you.

One weird thing the books mention is that, apparently, good snipers time their shots too shoot between their heartbeats (Long-range combat knowledge roll d100>76%=93% Success!), which is interesting knowledge you think you could use. Learned ability: Heartbeat Shot: Passive - Gain +1d4-1% skill bonus while sniping.

Many snipers wear ghillie suits made to provide camouflage for a particular environment (Stealth knowledge roll d100>38%=83% Success!) (1d6=6) +6% to Stealth Skill.

One book says that successfully hiding from your opponent will require them to find you to perform a retaliatory attack, and, if you hide well enough, they won't be able to find you well enough even if you've hit them (Stealth knowledge roll d100>44%=61% Failure), which you could have easily guessed.

As for modifications, skilled arcanoweaponsmiths are know to be able to modify guns with particular enchantments, such as being able to set bullets on fire, increase effective shot damage, allow then to teleport through walls and other obstacles, etc. While there are no such skilled arcanoweaponsmiths in Beachhaven, you may be able to find such artisans in the Welcoming Hills or The Mountain of Dusk.

And, while gun parts tend to be pretty interchangeable, and you can still swap out the pieces of an enchanted weapon, the particular enchanted bits of such a weapon will only work for the weapon they were originally attached to, and a gun can't have a different enchantment applied to it without the help of an arcanoweaponsmith. This would probably provide interesting insights into the Ship of Theseus if your character knew anything of philosophy, but you don't (Firearms knowledge roll d100>56%=9% Failure), and you also have a good enough knowledge about weapons that this doesn't provide any new insights about weapon maintenance practices either. Oh well.

Bartholomew is probably near his limit for book tolerance for now, so I'll have Al and Bartholomew spend their next downtime mode turn doing different kinds of martial training.
After doing all that reading, it kind of dawns on you that you kind of have no idea how to use the Giant Knives you wield. So you set yourself to training (Base Luck 10%=27% Failure), though with no sort of instructor or manual, you kind of have to just try out what you can to figure out what works.

(10d2-1=14xd100<10%=2 Successes!)
After much practicing, you think you're on to something. (5d6x2=10d6=34%) You gain +34% Dual-Wielded Giant Knife Fighting skill.

"Yo, I'm browsing my options as for pact-based magic. Think you could shoot me a deal?"
The red panda looks into your eyes, and their eyes briefly flash orange. You hear them speaking again, although their mouth doesn't move at all.

"AH, A PACT! MOST AGREEABLE. WHAT SAY YOU SIMPLY OWE ME A FAVOR, TO BE COLLECTED AT A TIME OF MY CHOOSING? DO THESE TERMS MEET YOUR APPROVAL?"

We might still need to resolve a few things before we properly move on to the next morning, but it's probably a good idea for those heading on the journey to the Mountain of Dusk to decide if you want to take the roads there (and any possible animals or vehicles you want to ride), take the train there (and how you'll arrange passage), or if you want to use some other means of transportation that I can't think of.

And, also, do you want to pick up any last-minute provisions or complete some errands?

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2020, 07:43:18 am »

"EXCELLENT, I have acquired the money required to complete my quest!"
Go back to the shop and buy the whispering launcher and as many rounds as I can, then return to the warehouse and blow that crate to hell, and obtain my crowbar.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2020, 09:26:48 am »

>Finish reading that book, and then look for any books regarding hacking into mechanical systems, if I have time to do so before we have to leave tomorrow.

Spoiler: Updated sheet - again (click to show/hide)
it's over

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2020, 10:14:31 am »

"Huh. What kind of favor?~"
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2020, 06:45:47 pm »

For my second downtime turn, I'm going to see if I can find some part-time work in the culinary industry.
I'll also ask Sponcy if they have any leads on an ideal transportation method.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:57 pm »

Downtime Part 3: Second Blood
"EXCELLENT, I have acquired the money required to complete my quest!"
Go back to the shop and buy the whispering launcher and as many rounds as I can, then return to the warehouse and blow that crate to hell, and obtain my crowbar.
(-80 Sea Copper)(+1 Whispering Launcher)
(-135 Perfect Farthings)(+5 3-packs of Whispering Grenades)
You perform a transaction and gain a Whispering Launcher and five three-packs of Whispering Grenades (or 15) along with one hundred twenty Sea Copper and sixteen Perfect Farthings as change.

Then you go to the warehouse and blow the hell out of that crate. (Downtime firearm use skill check 15d100<24=Success after 2 rolls) You manage to hit the crate after firing two shots (-2 Whispering Grenades), doing (12d6 Explode Damage=41) fourty-one explode damage to the crate, (41 Explode=19%-89% Unstructurability bonus=-70% Critical Unstructurability!) destroying it in a silent explosion and raining crowbars down all around the warehouse.

You may now obtain as many crowbars as you like.

>Finish reading that book, and then look for any books regarding hacking into mechanical systems, if I have time to do so before we have to leave tomorrow.

Spoiler: Updated sheet - again (click to show/hide)
(10d2=15xd100=845%) You finish reading that book, and eight others.

The book is called Jul and the Art of Sniper Rifle Maintenance, and it actually has very little information about sniper rifle maintenance (long-range combat roll 76%=73% Success!), in fact you notice some inaccuracies, but it does talk a lot about philosophy, including the concept of "Jul", which is a sort of an in the moment mindfulness of one's present situation. You gain (5d6=24%) +24% Philosophy (General) skill and (5d6=20%) +20% Religion (Jul) skill.

Moving on to books about mechanical hacking, (8d100>26%=97,85,28,48,45,23,52,85. 7 Successes!) you find a lot of interesting new information and gain (7d6=22%) +22% Hacking skill.

"Huh. What kind of favor?~"
"OH, LIKELY NOTHING MAJOR. I HAVE NO PRESSING NEEDS RIGHT, AND, WHEN IT COMES UP, IF IT EVER DOES, IT SHOULD PROBABLY TAKE NO MORE THAN FIVE TURNS, POSSIBLY ONLY ONE, IF YOU DO A GOOD ENOUGH JOB. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

"SO, DO WE HAVE A DEAL?"

For my second downtime turn, I'm going to see if I can find some part-time work in the culinary industry.
I'll also ask Sponcy if they have any leads on an ideal transportation method.
(10d2=14) (14 x Al Ghost Baking 32%<d100=5 Successes!)(14 x Bartholomew Pâtisserie 72%<d100=10 Successes!)
Al and Bartholomew do some culinary work, earning (5+10=15d20=161) one hundred sixty-one Elvish Silver.

Sponcy (Morale roll 67%=51% Success!) tries to find out about transportation (10d2=17)(17 x Sponcy Intellect 11%<100=3 Successes!), and, through mostly sheer persistence, manages to find out that the 133° Southeast Line departing tomorrow afternoon at 1 should take you through the Welcoming Hills to the Mountain of Dusk, and tickets will cost 37 Republic Coins each.

Alternatively, you can take the roads, which is a slower route and will require navigation to find your way. If you acquire some kind of vehicle, it should be faster, though maybe not quite as fast as the train.

Or, if you manage to find a Shadow Gatekeeper, they can open a way for you to the Midnight Highway, a land of darkness and nightmares that connects various points of the universe. If you navigate well, you might get there faster than the train, but, if you do so poorly, you may end up wandering it for the rest of your lives, possibly becoming one of the cursed beings there that prowl on the edges of sight and devour travelers.

Opening a gate to the Midnight Highway will likely cost you 134 Phantom Coins.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2020, 09:27:42 pm »

>Read more books that could contain useful knowledge.

it's over
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23