Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 105312 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #810 on: August 21, 2022, 08:24:20 am »

No 'subway station?' either. The whole weirdness here is how hard it is to find those 'oldlabs' as compared to the previous couple runs on the same build.
But then again, I've just found my first military bunker this run, so it might really be just colossally bad luck with spawning rolls.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 21, 2022, 08:59:19 am »

No 'subway station?' either. The whole weirdness here is how hard it is to find those 'oldlabs' as compared to the previous couple runs on the same build.
But then again, I've just found my first military bunker this run, so it might really be just colossally bad luck with spawning rolls.
That's bizarre. You got super unlucky I suppose.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 21, 2022, 12:44:30 pm »

Bit belatedly, lab generation is pretty finicky since some of the main variants have relatively narrow city size requirements, and due to most of the easy-to-spot variants being unique specials with a low percentage chance of spawning.

This was recently improved a bit in BN, via this PR: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/pull/1764

The idea of making the main lab specials non-unique was advised against by Coolthulhu but I was still able to bump up their percentages and standardize the city size ranges to be more forgiving. I also fixed a bit of code to make it better about placing the "experiment cell" part of labs to fix a common failure-to-start issue, because for some wacky reason they could ONLY spawn on a single edge of a single z-level of standard lab generation.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 21, 2022, 04:03:19 pm »

This was recently improved a bit in BN, via this PR: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/pull/1764
Cheers.
So, I read there:
'3. Set all specials that can spawn the bog-standard lab_stairs to have a minimum city size of 4 instead of 10, matching that of prison labs. This should reduce vulnerability to generation failures depending on world settings.'

Assuming this is an issue in both BN and DDA - I might have turned the knob on city size down a notch or two in worldgen, although I'm not sure. Definitely increased city distance (in case it matters). Maybe that's the reason. Still, I've seen a few large cities and no labs around either.

I'm kinda convinced now this run is unsalvageable. My end game goal was riding labs, and I've spent way too many rl hours driving around looking for one instead of having fun. The save size is now over 1GB, and I don't think any labs will decide to start spawning any time soon. Something finicky is going on, definitely.
Oh, well.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 21, 2022, 09:33:31 pm »

Yeah that could be the reason. Bigger cities would help.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 22, 2022, 12:03:39 am »

Assuming this is an issue in both BN and DDA - I might have turned the knob on city size down a notch or two in worldgen, although I'm not sure. Definitely increased city distance (in case it matters). Maybe that's the reason. Still, I've seen a few large cities and no labs around either.

Looked at DDA's overmap specials and it seems to be generally all the same settings as BN prior to the PR, so my guess is a mix of weird luck and possibly a non-standard world setting exacerbating it.

The changes added should make things more robust in BN at least but I'll want to do some more follow-up testing in abnormal worlds to get a better feel for the overall impact. Still so much I oughta do, weh. @.@
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 22, 2022, 01:29:53 am »

Maybe it's worth uploading the no-lab world?
Not necessarily the save itself, but just the World?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 22, 2022, 03:38:24 am »

Oh also, you can change the world setting mid-run. You will need to explore quite a bit to find larger cities in that case, but it should work.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 22, 2022, 04:04:32 am »

I thought city size and spacing were some of the setting that required world reset in order to take affect.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 11, 2022, 12:03:11 am »

IRL stuff continues to make it hard to do a lot of BN stuff, but I did work on and off on something for Arcana I'm self-PRing to tinker with over time: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/274

In a nutshell:

Basically, I'd been wanting to add a cold-type ranged magic weapon to Arcana that isn't magitech-based for a while, someone was suggesting I should add a transforming weapon at some point, and I realized that of the three main faction arcanist books Sagnuine Codex gets the short end of the stick in terms of weapon and armor items. This pokes at all three of those ideas at the same time. Fitting since a friend's ideas that inspired the general early concepts of sanguine shrikes (the expected users of this item) were very overtly Bloodborne-inspired.

Still tinkering with general details and balancing, plus some other stuff to add before I need to also implement the changes to the DDA version of the mod, right now it's all in the BN version. One thing I've learned about transforming items, always make sure the non-gun state has ammo type and max charges, that way if you change it you won't risk eating the ammo. As it is though, I have it set so that the melee form can neither be reloaded nor unloaded, requiring you to change it to pistol form to do either. The game-balance reason for that is so the player can't cheese the fact that I don't think there's any way to set reload rate of tools. As for in-universe reason, those are flintlock barrels so. My mental image is that the barrels are probably not as exposed and may be blocked in some way (unlike what the model for its inspiration depicts) in sword mode, on top of the lockwork probably not engaging the flashpan. That'd logically preclude accessing the muzzle for a muzzleloading firearm.

The big thing I'm pondering is ammo type. Right now it uses flintlock ammo, and as such the cold-type damage its pistol form adds is fairly low, as the base damage of the ammo will already be fairly high. If I used blood essence, the damage could be pure cold-type and purely from the gun's info. Only problem there is that I've yet to port over the ability to set exactly how much ammo per shot a gun uses from DDA to BN. Since I'd rather my items have parity between the BN and DDA versions as much as possible, that means I'm limited to using 1, 20, 50, or 100 ammo per shot based off the old flags. As it's standard for magic ranged essence to have 20 damage when using blood essence, that limits my damage options to 20, 400, 1000, or 2000 damage per shot. 20 is not really that much more cold damage to justify losing the 50 damage paper cartridges gets (even if blood essence is potentially easier for an experience sanguinist survivor to keep in stock), while the other values are way too damn much. Making it use essence to deal same damage as the base impact of a symbol of judgment is another option but not sure.

I also had some ideas put together I want to test regarding summoned critters, some other time:
1. Convert summoning glyphs into mundane place_monster items instead of using transform hackery. This was needed to make it revert to a blank silver glyph afterward instead of vanishing. But, I can test if revert_to finally works sanely for mundane place_monster items. If not...
2. If needed, set it so summoned monsters drop a blank silver glyph when slain. The big thing is I've found that monsters summoned by spells don't call death drops, so a summoned monster available from both a glyph and a spell can correctly only yield a glyph when the permanent version is put down.
3. I want to test if ONLY robots can be taken back down into item form on examine, or if it works for any friendly/pet monster with revert_to_itype defined. If it does work, then I can help solve one of the biggest annoyances with glyph monsters (AI being garbage in every version of Cata for all eternity), by letting the player just scoop a glyph monster up and carry them up stairs or past whatever other crap might prevent them from following you properly. This can probably be a place_monster item that copies from the base glyph but has a 100% chance of the monster being friendly. After all, to get to that point you already needed to pass an arcana skill roll to ensure you placed it friendly, and making the player need to reroll and risk them spawning hostile any time they get stuck would be an annoyance.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 18, 2022, 10:16:54 pm »

Whether or not water is poisonous seems to be tracked by body of water!

I found a shallow pond where I seem to be NOT getting poisoned!  WOW!

Hm, nevermind.  Got poisoned again.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 18, 2022, 11:14:27 pm »

There's also some RNG to it. Famously, toilets have higher odds of poisoning you than swamp water. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 19, 2022, 01:58:05 am »

Yeah it's random. Honestly boiling water is so easy... expecially since in DDA they made it so that you can put a container with water onto a fire and it will purify in a few hours. Really makes getting infinite water easy.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 19, 2022, 03:01:31 am »

If I remember right Arcana added a skill and that got me wondering do I need to start a game with Arcana installed to use it or is that something I can add to an on going game?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 19, 2022, 01:07:24 pm »

If I remember right Arcana added a skill and that got me wondering do I need to start a game with Arcana installed to use it or is that something I can add to an on going game?

You can add Arcana to an in-progress game, surprisingly adding a skill to the skillset doesn't affect anything, the main effect ends up being that arcana-specific content doesn't start showing up until you visit new areas.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 73