Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 105321 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #555 on: February 17, 2022, 03:26:41 am »

The Backrooms is a place that exists in the space between different Realities. No one knows exactly what conjures up the prerequisite conditions for someone to end up in the Backrooms, but it all starts with being "No-Clipped" out of your local Reality and into the Backrooms.
Think this has comparable data representation problems to portals (i.e., locations have to be revamped to replicate this non-Euclidean setup properly), or proper vehicle interiors.  [The latter is something I have in my long-range plans...no ETA].

I.e....think "color" (a total conversion mod for C:DDA/C:BN) is much easier than properly replicating.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 17, 2022, 11:51:02 am »

I never dabbled with mutagens in cataclysm, but if I'm reading that right, that bottle contains a mixed slurry of 14 different types of mutagen.

What the hell is going to happen if you drink that?

Is that why it costs 1.2M dollars?

Man, I wish I could snag that and just sell it myself. lol

Actually, the cost probably has to do with having 800 portions.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2022, 12:16:03 pm »

Barter value: 40 dollars.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 17, 2022, 05:56:05 pm »

Someone will buy it for a lark. Not worth using.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 17, 2022, 06:17:48 pm »

Someone will buy it for a lark. Not worth using.
Use it!  Use it!
...but pace yourself.  You want to see all the branches of the Mutant Tree, not get crushed by it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 17, 2022, 11:01:15 pm »

Meanwhile in BN, finally porting over the blackpowder load for .45 Colt from DDA. But as an added bonus, I noticed that .45 Colt casings don't even spawn naturally, and DDA doesn't have a fix for that yet. So added that myself, so you'll be able to find the occasional .45 Colt spent brass in fields, casing map extras, and where supplies of casings naturally spawn. PR link is here.

Sadly due to a mistake on my part, where I forgot to create a branch and committed my changes to my fork's master branch, I'm stuck with a fork that's a few commits ahead and won't be re-synced until either of my last two PRs are merged. After that, I plan to tackle this issue here: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/issues/883

In a nutshell, the production chain for butter is unnecessarily convoluted, the books it's all locked behind are a bit annoyingly restrictive, and it involves a ton of dairy that have no secondary uses whatsoever. A related problem that came up is how cheesemaking is more annoying that it really needs to be, which I have some plans for. But the cheese situation is partially my fault since hard cheese and its recipe chain were originally part of More Survival Tools before being mainlined. It still suffers from some very jank booklearn choices that weren't how I originally had it (these used to be autolearned), plus there are a few hints of artifacts from the older implement ion. But still, the big problems for the cheese recipe are I did not think it through fully when I first PR'd it, it wasn't given much thought when it was mainlined into DDA, and it only represents one of many ways to make and preserve cheese (one of the more complicated ways to boot).

My plans for messing with butter production:
1. Drop the distinction between raw butter and regular butter.
2. Implement a basic recipe for producing butter directly from raw milk (possibly also milk), using a source of any container quality and some salt. This recipe could be autolearned, with booklearns from various relevant books. Buttermilk as a by-product can be kept if it has any worthwhile uses, otherwise obsolete it too. The heavy cream step can be abstracted away as some extra time, depending on point three.
3. If any extra uses can be thought up for heavy cream, we could keep the step of making a cream jar. Otherwise, obsolete heavy cream entirely.
4. Add a separate recipe for making butter more efficiently with a butter churn. Otherwise same basic concept as the manual method, possibly booklearn-only and with more survival-focused book selection.
5. Atomic butter churns in Aftershock are silly, and their current use is largely pointless. If we don't obsolete them, maybe have them used in a recipe to make ghee directly from milk, implying that the atomic churn also heats the milk during processing to clarify it.
6. Make sure that production of butter has sane use of calories, charges, and such to hit the intended target nutrition per unit of butter.

And plans pertaining to cheese production:
1. Add a recipe for farmer's cheese, green cheese, paneer, whatever you want to call it. Milk or raw milk, vinegar, some salt, boiling and relevant cheesemaking tools. Basically makes fresh soft cheese made directly from milk without using rennet. Simple enough it could be autolearned.
2. Allow said farmer's cheese to be smoked into hard cheese, as this is simpler and more logical to autolearn than making aged rennet-based cheese. Include both smoking entry in the item definition and a recipe using charges of a smoker, as is normal for smoking food.
3. Sanity-check calories, yield, and charges of both types of cheese. Probably 5 charges per stack for both, 20% yield for curds so 5 charges of milk plus 1 charge of vinegar would yield 5 charges of fresh cheese. Each charge of cheese should have about the same calories as 1 charge of milk as a result. Likewise hard cheese should be 5 charges, calories can stay unchanged.
4. If we keep the other method of making cheese, it needs some reworking to better fit making large batches of cheese more efficiently. Drop the vinegar requirement from curdling milk, it already uses a source of rennet. Optionally add an actual rennet item made by drying stomachs and mixing with water, so a fresh stomach isn't such a blocker for production. This production chain can stay booklearn-only so long as smoking green cheese is autolearned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 11:47:46 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2022, 11:45:01 pm »

Good luck with your chess production!  :P

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2022, 11:48:00 pm »

Fixed. I screm.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2022, 01:13:36 am »

Fixed. I screm.
...you didn't include plans for Ice Cream production.  ???

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 18, 2022, 01:24:10 am »

I hadn't even looked into the production chain for ice cream actually. It certainly seems to be lower priority, since it's basically useless compared to cheese and butter.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 18, 2022, 02:06:13 am »

But what about my post-apocalypse waffle cones?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 18, 2022, 03:12:44 am »

What about...magic ice cream forging?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 18, 2022, 09:09:32 am »

I never dabbled with mutagens in cataclysm, but if I'm reading that right, that bottle contains a mixed slurry of 14 different types of mutagen.

What the hell is going to happen if you drink that?
You get random animal parts stuck to you. You won't die. Probably. And they're buffing mutagens soon so it's not so dependent on taking Robust Genetics. As a furry mutant player I am looking forward to it... and the limb rework allowing things like multiple arms or a centaur body.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2022, 08:32:22 pm »

Meanwhile in BN...it is time. For cheese!

In a nutshell, reworked the production of cheese to be a lot less of a pain in the ass overhaul, with it also having 2 different methods of production now. The old way of doing it has been made a bit less fucky, fixing some old fuckups in the JSON (some of which are probably leftovers from back when I added it as mod content to More Survival Tools, so they're almost certainly MY fuckups), and nudging things so that it's actually better suited for producing hard cheese in bulk, making it more worth the hassle and it being booklearn-only.

Also entails the inclusion of a rennet item so that you don't need to juggle having access to both milk AND fresh stomachs, as instead you can make rennet from them to save for later.

Then there's the new method of making cheese. First you can make fresh cheese from milk, vinegar (or lemon, since we don't have proper lemon juice as a separate item) and salt. This already lasts a bit longer than milk does, but then you can opt to smoke it to preserve as hard cheese.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 22, 2022, 06:10:22 pm »

The Backrooms is a place that exists in the space between different Realities. No one knows exactly what conjures up the prerequisite conditions for someone to end up in the Backrooms, but it all starts with being "No-Clipped" out of your local Reality and into the Backrooms.
Think this has comparable data representation problems to portals (i.e., locations have to be revamped to replicate this non-Euclidean setup properly), or proper vehicle interiors.  [The latter is something I have in my long-range plans...no ETA].

I.e....think "color" (a total conversion mod for C:DDA/C:BN) is much easier than properly replicating.

Color? There's a TC mod going on named that, or are you just referring to the various TC mods that do exist?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 73